Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Are the Redskins better with Mike Shanahan?

themurf

Shanny needs 4 years of drafting and developing a young qb!! We will be great if he finds his qb in the draft, in 4 years teams like Dallas, giants, pats etc..will be on a decline (my belief only) due to their aging qbs. We could be the hot and heavy contender, give it time people. Shanny and this team need time to gel, as long as Danny doesn't get involved we should improve within the next two or three years (playoff team).

*How much blame should be assigned to Shanahan for Hankerson’s injury? The guy was stuck riding the bench for the first two months of the season and the basically became a focal point overnight. Was it unrealistic to think his body could go from zero to 60 overnight? Did his coach set the rookie wideout up for failure by throwing him into the fire too fast?

This can be summed up in word word. No. If I need to expand on that, then absolutely not.

Shanny's mistake IMO was not rebuilding in year #1. IMO we are basically in year #1 of a rebuild, young team, lots of picks playing -- if we are going to expect instant results its unfair. they are playing poorly thus far this year, but many talk about tampa building themselves into a contender quicker than most, well in year #1 they were 3-13. it's not unusual for it to be the darkest before the dawn when you are doing a rebuild -- and the enemy IMO is to panic and not to allow the team to take a step back now to take multiple steps forward later.

it would be one thing if this would be Vinny -- we'd be looking at the future with salary cap constraints and few picks. with this regime, we are under the cap, and have 9 picks slated for each of the next two drafts. Night and day. Lets let the movie play out.

yeah, id have to agree with that. i think shanny realized the team was bad, but im not sure if he realized just how far we were behind league average until late in his first season. if he did, he might not have spent high draft picks on McNabb. though we didnt have much at the position, so he did need someone to be the QB.

but, i like what shanny is doing so far and the wins will come. i dont think anyone can make a great comparison to other teams that have "turned it around", because im not fully confident in the turnarounds of the 49ers and bucs, and, furthermore, i dont believe they had it as bad as we did when shanny took over.

in the past we wouldve slapped bandaids on the team via free agency and mortgaging the future with traded draft picks. such might have led to an extra win or two per season but no real results. shanny is building the right way now, and we'll see the fruits of it in the next couple years.

he probably wouldnt have had to the chance to play in minnesota...I mean it only took them few games to figure the same thing out about the guy.

What exactly do you think the Vikings figured out? Ponder is 1-4 and McNabb was 1-5. The Vikings were scoring 20.2ppg with McNabb and have scored 17.8 with Ponder. McNabb has better passing stats this year than Ponder. The problem is the Vikings offense isn't good enough to win games with either in that situation you might as well start the rookie and get him some experience. Their defense allows 27.1 (3rd worst in the NFL) and short of signing Green Bay's entire passing offense nothing the Vikings do is going to result in winning this season.

McNabb is not good. Let that be clear. I don't think he's a starting QB at this point in his career or outside of Philly for that matter. I do think however that he is better than Rex Grossman and John Beck. If Shanahan had known just how bad these two were going to be McNabb would still be here.

Yep, that's the only real gripe I have so far with his tenure. It was a real waste, not to mention that 2nd round draft pick really would have been nice to hold on to.

Agree. As to whether Shanny is the answer or is not is like asking the audience early in the movie whether you like the ending of it. I won't know until it ends and we see the results. right now we can just witness the methods and decide whether they should yield instant results or bust or whether we should be patient. IMO the methods used now -- add picks, go young, be prudent with the salary cap are the way most good teams build. whether Shanny is the right guy to execute those methods remains to be seen, but i really like their draft and free agent class this year so am cool so far.

Find me a coach that managed to find success with a second team. The closest you'll come is Parcells, and he never got any of his teams post-Giants to a SB.

If we aren't allowed to question, we should shut this board down. Isn't this what discussion boards are for?

Wow really? Hmm parcells had success with the Pats and the jets. Holmgren took the seahawks to the super bowl and got robbed by the refs. Do those count as success? Dick Vermeil took the eagles to the sb and won it with the rams. Do u actually research anything?

Please point to anywhere in this column where I suggest the coach should be removed. And while we're at it, did I actually blame Shanahan for Hankerson's injury or simply ask a question about pushing a rookie too hard too fast?

I think it's just like any other injury, as far as the fact that they just happen. Hank's PT increased bit-by-bit, he was getting more into the games. Then he has a breakout game (for a rookie WR on a bad team), and BAM, injury. I don't think Shanny should be blamed for pushing him too fast. Had this been in the first month of the season, I could see the point. But we're headed towards the close of the season. It was time to see what the kid could do.

Unfortunate, but injuries happen.

Great read as always, sir.

Its threads like this why i love this place. Everyone seems to have the same perspective. I think not only did the front office and coaching staff have to buy into a full rebuild, but so did we as fans. And i think we did. I know i did. I love what Shanahan is doing with this team. He is bringing in talent, slowly buy surely getting younger and building depth. No one is perfect, so the miss on Mcnabb i dont mind. I want to see my team always trying to get better and thats what Shanahan is doing. We are obviously going to get worse before we get better because we are playing a lot, and i mean A LOT of young players who have little experience. It sucks that we are losing now, but Shanahan isnt stupid, nor a loser. He knew the mess he was getting into and he came in to fix it. The best thing we as fans can do is keep perspective and let Shanahan build this team like a professional football team.

Good article Murf. I dont agree with the Shanahan possibly causing Hankerson injury, but everything else is pretty spot on.

Wow really? Hmm parcells had success with the Pats and the jets. Holmgren took the seahawks to the super bowl and got robbed by the refs. Do those count as success? Dick Vermeil took the eagles to the sb and won it with the rams. Do u actually research anything?

I'll give you a few points. You are correct there are retread coaches that brought teams to the Superbowl. (In addition to Parcells, Holmgren and Vermeil, there is also Dan Reeves and Don Shula.) But, point in my favor, none of these coaches won the SB with their new team. Also, that's only 5 retread coaches in the 40 years there has been a Superbowl. Doesn't give one a huge amount of hope that this time it will be different.

Edit: ug, screwed up again. That's what I get for reading Wikipedia. Vermiel did win in St Louis, but wasn't able to follow it up in KC.

What exactly do you think the Vikings figured out? Ponder is 1-4 and McNabb was 1-5. The Vikings were scoring 20.2ppg with McNabb and have scored 17.8 with Ponder. McNabb has better passing stats this year than Ponder. The problem is the Vikings offense isn't good enough to win games with either in that situation you might as well start the rookie and get him some experience. Their defense allows 27.1 (3rd worst in the NFL) and short of signing Green Bay's entire passing offense nothing the Vikings do is going to result in winning this season.

McNabb is not good. Let that be clear. I don't think he's a starting QB at this point in his career or outside of Philly for that matter. I do think however that he is better than Rex Grossman and John Beck. If Shanahan had known just how bad these two were going to be McNabb would still be here.

Save for the interceptions and immobility, how much worse is Grossman compared to McNabb at this stage in his career?

the building blocks coming into shanny's tenure here would be orakpo, landry, and maybe moss (a bit old)? I wouldnt count davis since he hadnt done anything close to what he put together in the beginning of this year. But he's added kerrigan, williams, hankerson did very well in limited opportunities, davis came into his own, brought in hightower, jenkins looked solid before the injury, helu has shown flashes, and riley played great the past couple games, and montgomery has been a huge upgrade over rabach. so shanny has tripled the quality players on our roster in 2 years, and had a good season going this year before we hit an unbelievable string of injuries. As for hankerson's injury, i might think it was shanny's fault if he pulled his hammy or something like that, but the torn hip muscle is just bad luck from going down awkwardly

Put me firmly in the camp of this team being headed in the right direction and being light years ahead of where it was two years ago.

+1!!! Mike and company are rebuilding a team from the ground up. He took over a team that was... well, horrible (I am being kind). After 20 years of total mismanagement, it will take awhile to fix the damage.

I will give him 2+ years more. I hope he is the coach for 10!

Find me a coach that managed to find success with a second team. The closest you'll come is Parcells, and he never got any of his teams post-Giants to a SB.

If we aren't allowed to question, we should shut this board down. Isn't this what discussion boards are for?

Umm Joe Gibbs. During the lockout, he made a winning team out of scrubs even against Dallas' first team, but I digress and I know you know that one. Joe Gibbs was also the only head coach to win the superbowl 3 times with 3 different quarterbacks. I would also argue that no head coach will ever do that again. Sorry, I am just stuck on missing Joe Gibbs. :silly:

Are we better off than the 2009 team? Personally, other than the lack of drama, I'd have to say no. It is funny, but this team seems to resemble that 2009 squad a lot. Mediocre offense with occasional standout games, the starting RB going down and the revolving door for the rest of the season at the position. OL injuries and exposing the lack of depth. A defense that looks good, but has a tough time making the critical stop where needed. The more things change, the more things seem to stay the same...

Well, besides the whole age difference...

Save for the interceptions and immobility, how much worse is Grossman compared to McNabb at this stage in his career?

I think Good Rex -- like last week -- is better than Donny Mac at this point, who might be out of the league next year.

Also, the rest of the guys on the team actually respect Rex and don't think he's two-faced. Two-chinned maybe, but then he got sick and lost all that weight.

Its threads like this why i love this place. Everyone seems to have the same perspective. I think not only did the front office and coaching staff have to buy into a full rebuild, but so did we as fans. And i think we did. I know i did. I love what Shanahan is doing with this team. He is bringing in talent, slowly buy surely getting younger and building depth. No one is perfect, so the miss on Mcnabb i dont mind. I want to see my team always trying to get better and thats what Shanahan is doing. We are obviously going to get worse before we get better because we are playing a lot, and i mean A LOT of young players who have little experience. It sucks that we are losing now, but Shanahan isnt stupid, nor a loser. He knew the mess he was getting into and he came in to fix it. The best thing we as fans can do is keep perspective and let Shanahan build this team like a professional football team.

Good article Murf. I dont agree with the Shanahan possibly causing Hankerson injury, but everything else is pretty spot on.

Agreed. I don't care if other fans agree with my stance or not. I love this place because of the awesome discussions that come out of columns like these. Cheers fellas. All the way around.

I'm fine with Shanahan being the coach, while it hasn't translated into a better record or winning, there were some good moves made, some good players drafted, the philosophy seems like one that will translate into success for years to come..just not immediately. I'm not a huge fan of the Shanahans, don't get me wrong, but I think you have to stick with it and let the man do his job with the adequate amount of time it takes to get a franchise going in the right direction that has been depleted and dysfunctional for years.

I think Good Rex -- like last week -- is better than Donny Mac at this point, who might be out of the league next year.

Also, the rest of the guys on the team actually respect Rex and don't think he's two-faced. Two-chinned maybe, but then he got sick and lost all that weight.

And is why he's probably playing at a faster pace.

Which would matter if bad Rex wasn't the dominant personality. He's turned the ball over twice (or more) in 6 of his 7 starts this season. He's accounted for two (or more) touchdowns in 3 of those 7 starts.

Which would matter if bad Rex wasn't the dominant personality. He's turned the ball over twice (or more) in 6 of his 7 starts this season. He's accounted for two (or more) touchdowns in 3 of those 7 starts.

Yet, if he's consistent with his play (not withstanding the interceptions) then he'd gained respect among the coaching staff. Maybe even enough to warrant him a new contract with certain incentives and provisions. Of course, we'd definitely draft a quarterback but then he'd have time to develop while the rest of the team is being built.

Yet, if he's consistent with his play (not withstanding the interceptions) then he'd gained respect among the coaching staff. Maybe even enough to warrant him a new contract with certain incentives and provisions. Of course, we'd definitely draft a quarterback but then he'd have time to develop while the rest of the team is being built.

You can't write off interceptions like that. An NFL QB needs upside or history to have people look past a season with more Int's than TD's.

Archived