Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official(ish) 2012 Quarterback Prospect Thread

KCClybun

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Okay, I want to know why anybody would pick Barkley over Griffin??

I look at Vick and how he has a hard time staying healthy so I would go with the more tradition pocket passer who isnt going to take off running every other play because he does not know how to read a defense. NFL adjusts to guys like Griffin. I like Barkley because he understands defenses, plays in a pro style offense already and is Very Accurate.

A bunch of tweets by Trent Dilfer on RGIII

https://twitter.com/#!/TDESPN

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy CFB QB style, spent all day studying RGIII.Love what this kid has in the tank!Superb athlete that is comfortable in the pocket

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Excellent Arm Talent & able to change tempo of his throws while maintaining a high level of accuracy. Can #ripit

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:INCREDIBLE deep ball accuracy! 7 games studied today and 14 #DIMES on the long ball. Kid can locate on the deep stuff

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Quick & compact release w/suddenness in his body allows him to play w/bodies near buy.Have to have this to play well in NFL

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Uses his athleticism to extend play and improvise, but doesn't abandon the pocket too soon.Obviously been trained well.

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Is very accurate from multiple foot platforms. Common trait with the BEST QB's in the NFL, no guarantee of clean pockets

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

Don't get carried away, RGIII is the 1st of 10+ CFB QB's I will study extensively over the next month. Not fair or smart to rate them yet

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Only challenge I see translating to next level is common to most spread QB's, they throw mostly to primary rec. #pick&stick

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

Expounding on pick & stick:Most successful critical down passing in NFL is done by being able to find 2nd&3rd rec then locate ball.#surgeons

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy Kendall Wright, RGIII's primary rec. Dude jumps out on film & has all the qualities of productive NFL player.

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:I am hearing from very reliable people that he has tremendous FB IQ & a thirst to be great.If true could become a #surgeon

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Puts on a deep ball clinic (teaching tape) vs KSU including one of the BEST throws iv's seen all year. #DIME to Wright

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Kid makes a throw vs A&M where he flicks it 50 yards in air, WHILE HE IS IN THE AIR! #sick jump pass 50 yards, WOW

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

If you don't watch CFB RGIII = Robert Griffin III from Baylor University. Future NFL stud!

....I wish I could find the Kansas State game and show people how many touchdown passes his receivers flat out dropped.
I think his best throw of the game was a drop by Swope.

IIRC 2nd qtr down the right sideline, Tannelhill is about to be the meat in a KSU defensive line sandwhich but he steps into a beautiful throw down the right sideline to Swope.

I like seeing dudes stand and delivery when they know they're gonna get smashed.

I look at Vick and how he has a hard time staying healthy so I would go with the more tradition pocket passer who isnt going to take off running every other play because he does not know how to read a defense. NFL adjusts to guys like Griffin. I like Barkley because he understands defenses, plays in a pro style offense already and is Very Accurate.

It's been mentioned before, but I think Griffin is much more than a scrambling QB. He's got a ton of attempts and completions, and is very accurate at that. He seems capable of running the ball, but I don't think he's going to be a Vick in that it's his niche. He's never had a 1000 yard rushing season, while, you look at rushing QBs like Kaepernick, and they have multiple seasons like that. He's a very capable rusher, but I think his passing capabilities can and will overshadow that. I might be a little off, but I think of RGIII as more of a Newton or McNabb than a Vick. As for injuries, I'm not too worried about that, he had one major injury, but has come back and has no long term effects.

Of course, I like Barkley a lot too. I think on the whole Barkley is more pro-ready than RGIII, but I think they'll both be ready to start come opening day 2012 (from everything I've read RGIII is incredibly intelligent and a quick study, so he should be ready for pro offenses). Barkley is clearly the safer choice, with a higher floor than RGIII, but there's a general consensus that RGIII has a higher ceiling, but that he might take some work to get there.

I generally feel like the Vick comparison is a lazy one, though. It's praiseworthy, but it kind of dings him too. At this stage in his career, I think RGIII is far ahead of where Vick was as a passer and as a quarterback compared to Vick. That Vick got selected first overall after two years of college ball always seems amazing to me. The growth and maturity process he had to go through...it's no wonder that NOW he's becoming the quarterback he's supposed to be.

From a pure "throwing the football" standpoint, I think RGIII is better now than Vick was. Even with Vick's crazy arm strength.

I'm not sure why you think its a lazy comparison? Shrugs.

I think you're selling Vick's talent ridiculously short, which might explain why you were amazed that he was selected 1st overall despite measuring only 6 FT.

Vick lack of progress wasn't due to immaturity it was due to serious reliance on the ganja and a time and energy consuming criminal enterprise.

But no sense in harping on about Vick we agree about RGIII.

---------- Post added November-23rd-2011 at 10:18 PM ----------

Newton is having a remarkable rookie year but its a bit early - and probably hyperbole at any stage - to say he is revolutionising the game.
No doubt and don't consider myself as someone that's prone to hyperbole.

The Panthers goal line packages make us of concepts I've never seen in the NFL (except for Tebow).

-I think the next step for Cam will be in the quick-game and short sets 1-3 step drop quick rhythm ball out on time passing; if Cam can add that to his arsenal...sick.

I have not watched enough of next years QBs to have a firm opinion and I have seen very little of Griffin in particular......I'm sure we will be doing some more in depth looks at the QB prospects this offseason.
I've already started watching the cut-ups, they seem to be everywhere now. I've even started charting (RGIII vs TCU) so I got an idea where the top guys fit for me but some of the other guys like Weeden and 2 less heralded prospects like Russell Wilson and Tyler Wilson, I need to watch more.

We might need to start the closer look series earlier this year?

There's recently become a hint of doubt on Luck. Some are seeing the potential of him being another Ryan Leaf. Not the attitude, but the transition.

you dont say.... :) was going to let that marinate for awhile.

---------- Post added November-24th-2011 at 07:28 AM ----------

A bunch of tweets by Trent Dilfer on RGIII

https://twitter.com/#!/TDESPN

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy CFB QB style, spent all day studying RGIII.Love what this kid has in the tank!Superb athlete that is comfortable in the pocket

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Excellent Arm Talent & able to change tempo of his throws while maintaining a high level of accuracy. Can #ripit

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:INCREDIBLE deep ball accuracy! 7 games studied today and 14 #DIMES on the long ball. Kid can locate on the deep stuff

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Quick & compact release w/suddenness in his body allows him to play w/bodies near buy.Have to have this to play well in NFL

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Uses his athleticism to extend play and improvise, but doesn't abandon the pocket too soon.Obviously been trained well.

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Is very accurate from multiple foot platforms. Common trait with the BEST QB's in the NFL, no guarantee of clean pockets

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

Don't get carried away, RGIII is the 1st of 10+ CFB QB's I will study extensively over the next month. Not fair or smart to rate them yet

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Only challenge I see translating to next level is common to most spread QB's, they throw mostly to primary rec. #pick&stick

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

Expounding on pick & stick:Most successful critical down passing in NFL is done by being able to find 2nd&3rd rec then locate ball.#surgeons

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy Kendall Wright, RGIII's primary rec. Dude jumps out on film & has all the qualities of productive NFL player.

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:I am hearing from very reliable people that he has tremendous FB IQ & a thirst to be great.If true could become a #surgeon

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Puts on a deep ball clinic (teaching tape) vs KSU including one of the BEST throws iv's seen all year. #DIME to Wright

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

#filmstudy RGIII:Kid makes a throw vs A&M where he flicks it 50 yards in air, WHILE HE IS IN THE AIR! #sick jump pass 50 yards, WOW

TDESPNTrent Dilfer

If you don't watch CFB RGIII = Robert Griffin III from Baylor University. Future NFL stud!

This is our guy to turn this damn franchise around, i know it in my gut. :pray:

---------- Post added November-24th-2011 at 07:51 AM ----------

here is a bootleg version of the kansas game, only one i can find lol

1 Month ago I would have argued till I turn blue that Barkley is the better the prospect. He plays in a Pro style offense and has faced VASTLY superior competition. But with what I have seen from Griffin in the past couple of games I have changed my mind somewhat. He has been unstoppable with way less talent on his team. I will be happy with either guy. I think they both will be outstanding pro QB's. I do think Griffin is going to take alot longer to mature. But he may have more upside.

I like all the QB prospects this year to some extent. I have long since settled on Luck as #1 and Tannehill as #5, but the other 3 I hadn't been able to rank yet.

But I just voted Griffin. Been leaning that way for a while, but I think I'm firmly there now.

The other 2 I'm still a bit unsettled on, but I think I'm leaning towards Jones as my #3, with the idea that he'll probably need a year of seasoning before he's ready to start. Still, if he's handled right, I think he'll be better than Barkley.

This "pro -style" qb argument is kinda outdated if you ask me. NFL offenses continue to implement more and more spread offensive concepts to take advantage of the rules and players coming out of school. Skins right now under Kyle use spread passing concepts to a degree.

Exactly even the people on ESPN were talking about how the spread offense is moving to the NFL. They are even back to running the old school option in Carolina as well. While I dont see the NFL moving to a strict spread type, more concepts will be added

Being able to run with the ball doesn't mean he has to, and hopefully he won't be used that way very often, limiting the scope for injuries. I like his elusiveness, and we've seen with Newton how threat of the QB run would make him dangerous close to the goalline.

A month ago I wanted Landry but the more i see of Matt Barkley the more I like him....I fear RG3 will have durability issues, but I'll be happy with any of them....

I've jumped on the RG3 bandwagon, but I do wonder if he will be injured frequently like Vick is and if he will be a QB that rarely plays every game. Hopefully that won't be an issue. I will also be pretty happy with any of the top QB prospects.

He doesn't get much love on this board but I'm a fan of Jones among other QBs.

I like Jones a lot - just love the way he throws the ball and concerns about his lack of mobility are overstated IMO. The concern about Jones for me is his consistency of decision making and how he handles pressure. I want to watch more of him but I think he has a chance to be a very good NFL QB. Personally I would rank him above Barkley from a physical talent perspective.

---------- Post added November-24th-2011 at 04:28 PM ----------

We might need to start the closer look series earlier this year?

Sure - but I think we should wait for the end of the Redskins season first. Let some dust settle? Be good to see how the Bowl game shake out as well?

I like Jones a lot - just love the way he throws the ball and concerns about his lack of mobility are overstated IMO. The concern about Jones for me is his consistency of decision making and how he handles pressure. I want to watch more of him but I think he has a chance to be a very good NFL QB. Personally I would rank him above Barkley from a physical talent perspective.

Good post, I definitely agree with this.

Archived