Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official(ish) 2012 Quarterback Prospect Thread

KCClybun

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Do you ever get the sense Kyle's just waiting around for Mike to give him a shiny new toy so he can show how creative he can really get?

Yes and when the toy gets here the pieces will fall in place.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 06:33 AM ----------

RG3 would be like getting a bleeping lightsaber when you were using a Bic lighter.

ROFL true but died laughing.

I've been on the RGIII bandwagon for a while and im starting to get nervous about other teams trying to jump us in the draft and take him, so i went to miami's fan site and their version of this thread. They still seem focused on luck, barkley, and jones, and only seem to mention griffin in passing, even after last weekends game

For those who doubt RG3's skill here is what Bucky Brooks said about him on nfl.com. A good quick read!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8245407a/article/college-stock-watch-griffin-iii-has-skills-to-change-game

"Robert Griffin III* will be the next quarterback to revolutionize the game. I remain convinced that the Baylor QB will change the way the game is played on the next level. At 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, Griffin possesses the speed and explosiveness of Michael Vick and the arm strength and pocket presence of Drew Brees. He combines those remarkable athletic traits with a keen football sense that translates into spectacular play on the field."

That's how that article starts. I think Brooks likes him. lol

Cam Newton?

There would have to be a slew of Cam Newtons coming down the pipe for that to be the case. It's way too early to say that. He could wind up being one of a kind.

There've been guys like him. A guy that looks like a DE, runs like a RB, but can sling it all at the same time. Daunte Culpepper was that guy 8-10 years ago.

There would have to be a slew of Cam Newtons coming down the pipe for that to be the case. It's way too early to say that. He could wind up being one of a kind.

There've been guys like him. A guy that looks like a DE, runs like a RB, but can sling it all at the same time. Daunte Culpepper was that guy 8-10 years ago.

Newton is a lot more athletic than Culpepper was.

Strictly by the numbers:

Barkley has played 4 top 30 defenses (Cal, Stanford, Notre Dame, Utah), two of which were on the road and didn't face any Division-II teams.

RGIII has played just 1 defense in the Top 50 (TCU at 47), and his only road win was against Kansas (ranked dead last as the worst defense in the country). The average defense he faces is ranked 87th and that doesn't even take into consideration a game against a Division 2 opponent.

Though they are both talented QBs, they are playing very different levels of defense this year.

*Cue fanboys*

Barkley also has two stud WRs who will be first rounders when they are ready to declare and a stud LT who is a sure lock to be a top 5 pick. We have seen USC QBs see Lineart, Palmer and Sanchez all 1st round Qbs and they all have been middle of the pack except for Palmer but he has never even won a playoff game. Sooo...

Cam's pretty damn good, but he hasn't "revolutionized" anything.

I don't think RGIII will revolutionize football, but I think he's a damn good football player, more so than anyone is giving him credit for.

You've got to admit that a change is starting to happen though. And in some way I do think the game is getting revolutionized. In the past, it seemed that mobility really wasn't a sought-after trait in a QB, but now it is.

As passing has become more popular, I believe teams are becoming more interested in mobility as well as passing. Now we are starting to see more dual threat QBs come into the league and have success and I think it is going to only happen more in the future. In the past, I don't think a team like the Broncos would consider changing their offense to adapt to Tebow and this is just one example.

Cam's pretty damn good, but he hasn't "revolutionized" anything.

I don't think RGIII will revolutionize football, but I think he's a damn good football player, more so than anyone is giving him credit for.

Oh, there are plenty of people giving him credit.

For example I think the comparison to Mike Vick in term of skillset is both high praise and a fitting comparison.

But, although Griff might run faster I don't think he's as dynamic a runner and lacks the elite arm strength.

You've got to admit that a change is starting to happen though. And in some way I do think the game is getting revolutionized. In the past, it seemed that mobility really wasn't a sought-after trait in a QB, but now it is.

As passing has become more popular, I believe teams are becoming more interested in mobility as well as passing. Now we are starting to see more dual threat QBs come into the league and have success and I think it is going to only happen more in the future. In the past, I don't think a team like the Broncos would consider changing their offense to adapt to Tebow and this is just one example.

In a weird way, I think the Broncos being more willing to run the option and all that stuff hurts Tebow more than it helps him. He's still going to have to pass. I think the best thing they do with Tebow, though, is move the pocket and let him roll and bootleg. They would be better off letting him pass of play action as well. He's going to have to become a thrower at some point. Weird thing is that last year, he seemed to be a lot better as a passer than he is now.

But I think mostly, it's just a product of what the college game is doing. As more teams go spread, and more quarterbacks play in it, you're going to have more teams that run more plays that come from that. The game will never be as wacky as it can be in college, but there's going to be some interesting no wrinkles put in it for sure.

I have bounced around in three different threads since last night discussing Barkley and still I say not for Dc. I posted 5 cutups of games from this yeat which displays alot of passing and have had one 5 yard td pass pointed out to me as " thats a nfl touchdown throw right here" lol I respect the people that like him but tell me why I should like him in DC for the next 15 years.

Oh, there are plenty of people giving him credit.

For example I think the comparison to Mike Vick in term of skillset is both high praise and a fitting comparison.

But, although Griff might run faster I don't think he's as dynamic a runner and lacks the elite arm strength.

I generally feel like the Vick comparison is a lazy one, though. It's praiseworthy, but it kind of dings him too. At this stage in his career, I think RGIII is far ahead of where Vick was as a passer and as a quarterback compared to Vick. That Vick got selected first overall after two years of college ball always seems amazing to me. The growth and maturity process he had to go through...it's no wonder that NOW he's becoming the quarterback he's supposed to be.

From a pure "throwing the football" standpoint, I think RGIII is better now than Vick was. Even with Vick's crazy arm strength.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 12:48 PM ----------

I have bounced around in three different threads since last night discussing Barkley and still I say not for Dc. I posted 5 cutups of games from this yeat which displays alot of passing and have had one 5 yard td pass pointed out to me as " thats a nfl touchdown throw right here" lol I respect the people that like him but tell me why I should like him in DC for the next 15 years.

I think Barkley will be good. But his ceiling is much lower than guys like RGIII, even a guy like Ryan Tannehill. I wouldn't be mad if he got drafted by us; if anyone can iron out some of the flaws in his game, I think it's Mike. But there's definitely other guys coming out that you'd have to worry about a little less.

Newton is a lot more athletic than Culpepper was.

Not really true, Culpepper was a beast, check out his combine. Thing is, Culpepper blew out his knee and was never the same afterwards. He had about 2 years of greatness, but if he had never gotten hurt he might now be considered in the same league as Brady or Manning. I really think the 2008-2009 Vikings could have had super bowl years with a 31-32 year old healthy Culpepper over Frerotte or a 40 year old Favre. He's definitely a sad story.

Logan Thomas out of Virginia Tech might be the next guy like that. He is 6'6", weighs 254 pounds and runs a 4.6 40. A redshirt sophomore, he was rated the top tight end recruit out of high school. He runs over defensive backs. He's developing into an effective, strong armed, accurate passer with a nice looking deep ball. With another year of seasoning at Tech, this kid could be truly awesome if he continues to develop.

Archived