Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: In their words: Redskins players explain the five-game losing streak

themurf

The players obviously don't know that they're not at fault. It's all Mike's ego, Kyle's ineptness, and Haslett's idiocy. Our coaching staff must have brainwashed the players into thinking that the staff is competent.

....No, they're coached to assume responsibility. Shanny's success comes from being around HOF QB's like Steve Young and Elway. Drafting players like Terrell Davis and Rod Smith in the late rounds were a fluke. He was overrated as a talent evaluator eventhough he's responsible for drafting (Ryan Clady, Eddie Royal, Lichtensteiger, Torain, Peyton Hillis, Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler, Brandon Marshall, Dumervil, and Jarvis Moss) in the last 3 drafts of his tenure in Denver... Yea Shanny is an idiot!!!

#sarcasm

Mike Shanahan is questionable as a leader of men..same with his son...in the press conferences or audio do they exude a personality that you'd wan't to follow, or perform for, or be fired up by???

This team has no fire...and yea I see shinny ****ing at the refs...but this team has no fire...I don't sense one iota of personality from Kyle Shanahan...kind of like our offense...

I disagree about Mike Shanahan. You don't have to be a snarling, headset throwing, mouth-foaming wildman to inspire your team. Some of the most inspirational coaches I've had were pretty mild-mannered to all appearances, but were real hard-asses.

My sense of Shanny is that he's strict and has high standards. Unless you're a real malcontent or lazy (Fat Ass or McRibb) these kinds of coaches do make you want to follow them.

I do agree with you though that the team seems to have no fire. I just don't think it's related to any lack of inspiration on Mike Shanahan's part. Kyle I don't know about, but I'm pretty sure Big Shanny is a good leader of men.

I disagree about Mike Shanahan. You don't have to be a snarling, headset throwing, mouth-foaming wildman to inspire your team. Some of the most inspirational coaches I've had were pretty mild-mannered to all appearances, but were real hard-asses.

My sense of Shanny is that he's strict and has high standards. Unless you're a real malcontent or lazy (Fat Ass or McRibb) these kinds of coaches do make you want to follow them.

I do agree with you though that the team seems to have no fire. I just don't think it's related to any lack of inspiration on Mike Shanahan's part. Kyle I don't know about, but I'm pretty sure Big Shanny is a good leader of men.

LL56 says that the players LOVE Shanny because he's willing to be the frontman of the criticism. Take it for what its worth....

If you took a poll among the league right now and asked every player to name three coaches they would like to play for at some point, I bet 90 percent of them name Mike Tomlin.

And Mike Tomlin's doesn't yell at this players, does not lead cheers, and answers questions at press conferences with the same six stock answers. But his players seem to adore him.

For some reason, fans always want Mike Ditka to be their coach. I don't know why.

I especially don't know why Redskin fans want that when the coach we should look up to is Gibbs who did not yell publicly, did not swear, and said NOTHING to the media on any subject.

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 04:12 PM ----------

LL56 says that the players LOVE Shanny because he's willing to be the frontman of the criticism. Take it for what its worth....

That's typically what all players want. The only successful coach who seemed to be able to get away with criticizing players in the media was Parcells. Landry didn't. Noll didn't. Gibbs didn't. Belichik doesn't.

Everyone knows exactly what the issue is.

With seven games left' date=' no player is going to say, "Our two QBs should be rolled into a carpet and thrown off the back of Daniel Snyder's new mega yacht."[/quote']

:ols: In the back of their minds it's "What difference does it make HOW hard we try... Rex will screw it up in the redzone anyways." As far as Beck goes... it doesn't matter anymore... they know he's history.

Lots of people on ES talk about leadership and how to inspire people, and most of them are talking out their asses (not talking about you or LL56 here...).

This sort of thing - taking the heat for the people you're leading - is a great way to inspire people. I've used that as a leader, with one caveat - you can screw up once and I've got your back; screw up repeatedly on the same thing and you'll suffer consequences. It does two things - shows respect that you know they can handle their own ****, and tells them that they'd BETTER handle their own **** or they'll be gone.

I'd imagine that when these guys start figuring out how to not make bonehead mistakes, how to execute well, how to win games, Shanny will put all the credit on them. That's part of this leadership style too.

Ultimately Shanny is responsible for the team's success or failure so he needs to step up and take the blame in bad times. When times get better he can give credit to the players because all he did was tell them to fix things, and they did the work. This is accountability. I'm not surprised our fans don't recognize it after all the Snyderatto we've lived through.

I think his former players which dates back to his days in San Fran will say differently... Just Sayin....

If you have quotes I'd like to see them...I don't know, shinny seems to have enemies and burn bridges...we are going backwards...not even playing w much fire...I don't see guys really rallying around each other after a good play...maybe I'm off but I love what the Packers and 49ers have going right now...they look like teams and reflect their head coaches...if we reflect Shanny...what do we get????...I am afraid Shanny and Snyder are cut from the same cloth and...I just don't see guys running thru walls for our coaches..so I don't know if Mike or Kyle can get us there...just my observation...

If you have quotes I'd like to see them...I don't know, shinny seems to have enemies and burn bridges...we are going backwards...not even playing w much fire...I don't see guys really rallying around each other after a good play...maybe I'm off but I love what the Packers and 49ers have going right now...they look like teams and reflect their head coaches...if we reflect Shanny...what do we get????...I am afraid Shanny and Snyder are cut from the same cloth and...I just don't see guys running thru walls for our coaches..so I don't know if Mike or Kyle can get us there...just my observation...

Burn bridges? What bridges did he burn? What enemies does he have? Do you have anything showing that he has enemies and burned bridges?

I think Aikman is the one that was commentating on the game when he said, " I know the Redskins have a lot of young guys, but come on, you are still professional athletes." I see no fire or "heart" from this offense. With 5 straight losses, the offense should start to not like the coach. At what point does the coach say "no more mr. nice guy, I better start seeing some darn production out of you guys?" I am not here saying our coaches stink. I know nothing about coaching sports teams, and they are the professionals. It's just hard for me to think that a practice squad would look this bad on Sundays.

Murf, the biggest thing I got from it, you even said yourself in the article:

As you can see, every player I talked to reiterated that the problem isn’t head coach Mike Shanahan or his assistant coaches. All of them said the team’s biggest issue is mental mistakes or failure to execute by the players.

Overall this team has good character -- they just need to know what it takes to eke out a win, during crunch time. That's why (regardless of draft position) I would like to see the Skins win a few more games before the season is over. This is a young team, and while it is transitioning to becoming a more veteran team, the players need to start forging their identity as 'winners' rather than getting accustomed to long losing streaks.

Once our players started going down, the 'fire' disappeared when guys stopped competing for playing time. There was so much competition going on in training camp, and now everyone is getting handed their jobs due to injury.

I also still believe that the John Beck experiment had a profoundly negative effect on the team's psyche. Watching "Sound FX" on NFL Network the other day you can plainly see Orakpo rolling his eyes after a Beck turnover as if saying to himself, "this guy is a ****ing joke."

During the segment, I also noticed that no assistant coaches/position coaches were to be found as players like Orakpo and Kerrigan sat dejected on the sideline telling each other it will be ok. When I watch successful teams on the sidelines, the lesser-known coaches are constantly trying to either a.) fire up their players or b.) talk strategy and adjustments. Didn't see that once in the entire segment.

Once our players started going down, the 'fire' disappeared when guys stopped competing for playing time. There was so much competition going on in training camp, and now everyone is getting handed their jobs due to injury.

That's a massive point almost everyone, including myself, has forgotten. All the talk during preseason and throughout the first few games was about how competitive everything is and how everyone is pushing each other to be better. We definitely lost that since then, especially once the injuries mounted up. It's still there and the philosophy is the same, just not the numbers.

That's a massive point almost everyone, including myself, has forgotten. All the talk during preseason and throughout the first few games was about how competitive everything is and how everyone is pushing each other to be better. We definitely lost that since then, especially once the injuries mounted up. It's still there and the philosophy is the same, just not the numbers.

That's the thing about not having a ton of depth, I guess. But it's a very, very good point.

It actually worries me more that no one can seem to pinpoint what the issue is. The team just seems defeated right now. To hear all the players say they believe in the coaching staff and the system and to still look as bad as they do week after week just makes no sense.

It seems like a difficult problem to try to fix.

See what I get from that is that the talent or lack there of is the problem.

The system. The coaching. All good. The talent to execute is not. YET.

^^^ I honestly believe it's injuries and the shortened off season. We had many sweeping changes on offense this year and many guys did not have enough time to practice and jell.

The only issue I have with what is bolded is this: ALL teams suffer injuries. It's a fact of an NFL season. The good ones find a way to overcome them though.

---------- Post added November-16th-2011 at 06:25 PM ----------

Yes, I suppose. But it still seems like a bigger issue than simply injuries and quarterback woes. The team started out 3-1 with Rex Grossman under center. They can win games with this squad. It just seems like this team has given up. Now whether that's coaching or the personnel or what, obviously something is going on under the surface here.

Is it a character issue?

I don't know either, NLC, but you've hit the nail on the head IMHO. The first quarter of this season we saw a different unit out there. Of late this team seems to have mailed it in. And as a diehard fan I HATE to see that. I hope Shanny still has the locker room and I hope the Dan gives him time to fully implement his rebuild, because I still believe in him. I just watch and wonder and remember how snakebitten this franchise has been these last twenty years and then I realize I'm holding my breath and I should exhale -

Yes, I suppose. But it still seems like a bigger issue than simply injuries and quarterback woes. The team started out 3-1 with Rex Grossman under center. They can win games with this squad. It just seems like this team has given up. Now whether that's coaching or the personnel or what, obviously something is going on under the surface here.

Is it a character issue?

yea, but we started out 3-1 WITH chris cooley, tim hightower, santana moss, trent williams, kory lichtensteiger, people like that. after they went down, the team started losing (see eagles game). so i think the injuries have a big thing to do with the losing streak. and because we dont have depth, nobody else is as good as the starters.

Great article Murf. I don't think this is a bad overall team. I think this is an average team that's missing some key pieces with young players. They shoot themselves in the foot (hence young players) and this team isn't good enough to get over that. It's painful now, but I think the future is bright for this team

Burn bridges? What bridges did he burn? What enemies does he have? Do you have anything showing that he has enemies and burned bridges?

Wish I had time to dig them out...but yea a few stories in denver and and i guess Dmac, Jake Plummer and Al Davis and 92 come to mind but they may not be the best example. ...after games do you see coaches or players go up to shinny, no they don't from what I can tell...Kyle has no affect or personality I can see??? just like our offense...

Of course Shanny could pull this off and I really hope he does...I'm just really worried and starting to doubt him...

Archived