Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Mail it In for Matt", Success in 2012 and Beyond!

Fergasun

I would take RG III ahead of both Barkley and Luck, he is going to be amazing in the pros. Think Peyton Manning with 4.3 speed.

need to watch some more tape on RGIII but I know the level of competition he's played against hasn't exactly been "stellar" Anyone can look good against scrubs.

*EDIT* Check out his stats against teams that are actually GOOD (Texas A&M, OK State). His performance was hardly impressive (against Texas A&M, he had a good game, but a much better OK State team and defense, he got shut down. And they got blown out.)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/378497/robert-griffin-iii

First off, Luck will be the 1st pick overall. Period.

If you have the 1st pick, there are only 2 scenarios:

1) If you want Luck, take him

2) If you don't want him and want (insert Barkley or any other player here), you trade the pick for a king's ransom and still take (your player) with the other team's 1st rounder.

But if you don't want him, under no circumstances do you waste the unique situation you're in to stock up on 1st/2nd round talent for years to come and take Barkley instead.

Also, this:

Geez OP, if your gona' try start a Barkley following, at least put up an OP that's longer than a paragraph and really sell people on why you think Barkley should be here. A lot of folks won't of ever seen him play, and you've done little to tell them what type of player he is, what his strengths are, character etc etc.

Sorry man, but that's a poor attempt at a 'fan club' thread.

Hail.

Hate to be a Negative Nancy, but there's plenty of good discussion about prospects/QBs in the 2012 Comprehensive Draft Database thread, where this probably belongs. But if you must start a thread on this, at least beef up the OP a little dude.

need to watch some more tape on RGIII but I know the level of competition he's played against hasn't exactly been "stellar" Anyone can look good against scrubs.

*EDIT* Check out his stats against teams that are actually GOOD (Texas A&M, OK State). His performance was hardly impressive (against Texas A&M, he had a good game, but a much better OK State team and defense, he got shut down. And they got blown out.)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/378497/robert-griffin-iii

I wouldn't draft RG3 either (I think Tannehill/Barkley will be better QB's), but about his games against TAMU and Okie Lite, I remember his WR's dropping TD's left and right. And his performance in those games was still amazing, his WR's apparently didn't want to show up.

BTW whatever happened to that Nick Foles fella?

As for the skins, you do your best to get Luck, if you can't then go with Barkley. But please stay away from Landry Jones at all costs (unless no one else is left).

Luck

Barkley

Tannehill

Griffin/Foles/Jones

Tannehill over RG3?!?! Not a chance in hell man. Griffin has almost as many starts between last season and this season than Tannehill has in his whole career. Tannehill is the definition of a project QB. Lousy footwork and ancy in the pocket.

Griffin > Tannehill

When I watch Barkley I see a lot of Jimmy Clausen. I wouldn't have minded the Redskins taking on Clausen, though, so take that for what it's worth. I just want the Redskins to do their homework and go get a guy they like (really like, not "John Beck like").

I don't think we'll have to mail it in for Matt or suck for Luck. We're going to work our way into a top 5-7 pick on our own merit. A good QB will be there. Right now it appears the Dolphins, Colts, Rams, Panthers, and Cardinals will probably go ahead of us.Other possibilities to go ahead of us will be Denver, Minnesota, Cleveland, and Jacksonville.

- Rams have Bradford. They just need to build around him. If they get the first pick they would probably trade it away to drop a few spots and get an epic number of picks

- Panthers have their Cam. They have other needs like getting younger at other spots.

- Cardinals may give Kolb another season.

- Vikings. Unless they get the number one overall pick they'll give Ponder more time. In that case they may trade Ponder for picks and draft Luck, but they won't pick number one.

- Jacksonville. Just like Minnesota, will give Gabbert more time unless they draw #1 overall and then possibly trade Gabbert to draft Luck. They have plenty of winnable games on their schedule, though, including two against Indy.

- Cleveland. McCoy is starting to get it together. Enough so that they will likely draft another position. They won't be picking number one overall so they'll fill other needs.

This pretty much narrows down Denver, Indy, and Miami as teams that will most likely be drafting QBs.

...Indianapolis- They're on the fast track to Luck and would probably not trade this pick. Manning will be training his replacement starting next season.

...Miami- They're likely to pick in the top 2-3 and also will need a QB.

...Denver- Tebow experiment will end this year. Orton is a decent, steady QB but is a better fit with a team that is already well balanced and just a steady QB short of being a playoff team. Orton gets traded and a new QB will be drafted.

That's strictly my opinion based on guesses. We'll probably be in the mix for a QB with three other teams. I left Seattle out of this as they still have two games against the Rams, one against AZ, and Washington at home. They should be 6-10 or 7-9 but still looking for a QB. Our game against Miami this week could be huge in lining up the draft order next year. You always play to win, but if we lose, we may be happy we lost by next April. One problem is, after Washington, Miami does not have a winnable game the rest of the way unless they play like they did against KC the other day. Us, Oakland, and Philly are probably the closes games that they could win. It is possible that they have a head-scratcher win left on their schedule like all bad teams have. Our head-scratcher win is looking more and more like the Giants game.

The only winnable games I see left for us is at Miami, Minnesota, and at Seattle. If Miami plays like Sunday, Miami beats us. Seattle is winnable on paper but it's at Seattle and we have serious problems at Seattle. At best, we go 6-10. At worst, we go 4-12. I'm going to guess that Minnesota is our only sure in on the schedule and even that is no guarantee. My guess is we draft anywhere between 4th and 8th.

just draft a qb in the 1st round

So you would be happy potentially with the 4th qb on the board over the best RT, CB, ILB or G? I just do not understand the reach. I know the skins need a qb but if it is not there wait till the 2nd rd. The bengals played it perfect this year. You have to consider what is on the board when u draft.

Can we make this the official "we should draft this quarterback?" thread or something, so we don't have a thread called "Roll Over For Robert" or "Tank for Tannehill" or "Job for Jones" every week from now until the draft ends?

At any rate, here's the tape from Barkley's game vs. Colorado for anyone who wants to evaluate him.

Here's Andrew Luck vs. Oregon State

From a couple weeks ago, Landry Jones vs. Texas

Robert Griffin III vs. Texas A&M from a couple weeks ago

Ryan Tannehill vs. Baylor from the same game

Let's just put all the quarterback stuff here so we don't have a bunch of threads dedicated to it.

So you would be happy potentially with the 4th qb on the board over the best RT, CB, ILB or G? I just do not understand the reach. I know the skins need a qb but if it is not there wait till the 2nd rd. The bengals played it perfect this year. You have to consider what is on the board when u draft.

no we shouldn't over reach. if we know a guy will be there in the 2nd round then wait and draft another position for OL in the first round.

Not saying Luck stinks, but Harbaugh has had success with quarterbacks EVERYWHERE he goes.

- Josh Johnson at San Diego State threw 1 interception his whole senior season.

This is the 2nd time I've read this on this forum but this time I have to correct this: Harbaugh did NOT coach at San Diego State. He coached at University of San Diego. HUGE difference here in San Diego.

We could all just admit that we don't know who the guy is, but that we all hope whoever Shanahan picks turns out to be the right choice...in the end, that's what it comes down to. None of us have any reason to believe we KNOW who will be good in the NFL. Some of our predictions will be correct simply because of percentages, but all that really matters (regardless of whether we're right or wrong) is that the QB who ends up in burgundy and gold pans out!

Here's my take after watching that film. Just initial, quick, down and dirty:

Barkley: Has great touch and can put ass on the ball if he needs to. He doesn't get a lot of YAC from his recievers.

Luck: Didn't throw a seam rout at all, yes, he threw to the seam, but it was a post route and not a seam route. He has accuracy issues. He lacks velocity. He has phenominal footwork.

Jones: Lacks consistency. Has the tools, but isn't consistent.

RG3: Gets a lot of YAC from his recievers. Has an inconsistant release. Good when in rhythm, shaky when not.

Tanehill: Good feet. Good decisions. Good velocity. Has touch and accuracy issues.

Obviously, most of this stuff is coachable. As far as intangibles go, I love Barkley's bravado. He's a ****y little ****, but I like that in a quarterback because he has played in the spotlight since high school. Luck seems very even keeled and kind of reminds me of Joe Flacco for some reason. Jones and RGIII are hard reads, I would need to see more from him. Tanehill seems to be a strong leader and has a lot of potential.

ROBERT GRIFFIN WILL NOT BE IN THE 2012 DRAFT

Its pretty well known he wants to try out for the Olympics next year and he also wants to enter law school.

Landry Jones is not even close to the prospect of Barkley hes just on a more talented team. I'd take Barkley over everyone in this draft class.

I bet he goes pro. He's going to have his masters locked up in Spring. I know by listening to him talk, he sounds like a guy that is uninterested in the NFL, but I think that is just him being smart and deflecting the questions. He loves Baylor, yes, but he really will benefit nothing by staying another year.

All this talk about olympics is something I've only heard here on ES? Am I missing something? I live in Big 12 country and I haven't heard that talk. In fact, I don't think he's competed in track since Freshman year maybe? Before he blew out his knee...

ROBERT GRIFFIN WILL NOT BE IN THE 2012 DRAFT

Its pretty well known he wants to try out for the Olympics next year and he also wants to enter law school.

Landry Jones is not even close to the prospect of Barkley hes just on a more talented team. I'd take Barkley over everyone in this draft class.

Calm down Mr. Bold Text. It's a rumor and he will probably end up declaring anyway for the NFL.

Here's my take after watching that film. Just initial' date=' quick, down and dirty:

Barkley: Has great touch and can put ass on the ball if he needs to. He doesn't get a lot of YAC from his recievers.[/quote']

Just saying. Barkley has a phenomenal WR to throw to, Robert Woods. He's a sophomore and going to be incredible. The first game of Barkley's I watched, it looked like Woods made Barkley look amazing, not the other way around. The second game of Barkley's I watched, I started to see what everyone was talking about. I guess in the first game he was just working the hell out of the mismatch that Woods created.

But let's not say that Barkley does not have talent around him.

I'd be very happy to have Barkley as a Redskin.

Archived