Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: IGN 10/10 "Ocarina of Time has met it's match."

Sticksboi05

So far, an average of 9.5/10 on GameRankings out of 30 reviews, tying it with Twilight Princess.

Last I checked, Arkham City has a 96 on there (edit: actually that's metacritic). Is it just me or is Arkham Asylum a better game? Maybe I'm just not far enough into the game to judge. I'm sure a lot of 5/5s will eventually bring Zelda's average up.

to each their own. Twilight took a couple days to beat, couple more days to get most "extra" stuff. the wii control was fun, but you could get away with simple swiping motions of the controller when using the sword. I like that you can't get away with it for very long in the new one, per reports. Twilight had a good story and some cool features, like the double-hook, and was a great rebound from windwaker, IMO. It was a fun game, but still couldn't touch Link to the Past nor Ocarina. I'm encouraged that the latest one has reviews which mostly claim Skyward Sword surpasses its predecessors.

I'm playing through Ocarina of Time right now and the memories of my childhood and how good of a game it truly is almost brings a tear to my eye. I'm going to wait for reviews from credible sources before buying this game but I might actually purchase it, which would make it the first Zelda game I've bought since Ocarina of Time. I played the ones inbetween of course but my friend got them and I was never interested enough in things such as Windwaker and Twilight Princess to buy them myself...didn't buy Majora's Mask because we beat it together.

Whoever out there gets it (preferably fans of Ocarina of Time, Link to the Past, and original Legend of Zelda and not fans of Windwaker and Twilight Princess- YOU CANNOT BE TRUSTED! :D )

I'm playing through Ocarina of Time right now and the memories of my childhood and how good of a game it truly is almost brings a tear to my eye. I'm going to wait for reviews from credible sources before buying this game but I might actually purchase it, which would make it the first Zelda game I've bought since Ocarina of Time. I played the ones inbetween of course but my friend got them and I was never interested enough in things such as Windwaker and Twilight Princess to buy them myself...didn't buy Majora's Mask because we beat it together.

Whoever out there gets it (preferably fans of Ocarina of Time, Link to the Past, and original Legend of Zelda and not fans of Windwaker and Twilight Princess- YOU CANNOT BE TRUSTED! :D )

What do you mean credible? There's like 30 reviews already.

I

Wasn't a fan of windwaker, but if you've never played Twilight Princess, which from your post seems is the case, then you have no grounds to trash it IMO. The ratings by most disagree with your assertion that it sucks, and I disagree also. Twilight Princess is a good Zelda game. I personally like Link to the Past the best, but I also agree that Ocarina is the best one (if that makes sense lol), once I get Skyward Sword (very soon) I will share my thoughts on it, but I am looking forward to what others in here have to say who have gotten it.

Yeah metacritic currently has 48 critic reviews up:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/critic-reviews

Pick whichever one you think is credible.

Here's my question, and the question I have when it comes to any Wii game: How much work do I need to do to play this game? When I game, I like to sit back and be lazy as ****. Wii kills me on that with some of their games. Do I need to get up out of the couch and...actually do things for this game?

Human beings that I know and trust who are going to buy the game and can personally tell me what they think about it. I value the opinions of people I've been playing video games with since I was 6. They tend to know if I will or will not like something and I can actually speak with them and interact with them rather than reading something off a website and using that as my basis to spend money on a game. Oh, and I suppose some of the posters on this board. I don't trust any website doing a game review. I've been buying games for a very long time now and oftentimes sites like to hype things like crazy when they don't quite deserve so much praise.

Wasn't a fan of windwaker, but if you've never played Twilight Princess, which from your post seems is the case, then you have no grounds to trash it IMO. The ratings by most disagree with your assertion that it sucks, and I disagree also. Twilight Princess is a good Zelda game. I personally like Link to the Past the best, but I also agree that Ocarina is the best one (if that makes sense lol), once I get Skyward Sword (very soon) I will share my thoughts on it, but I am looking forward to what others in here have to say who have gotten it.

What do you mean judging by my post? I said I played all the ones since Ocarina of Time but I never bought them myself. I played Twilight Princess at a friend's house and while it was a solid game it didn't exactly blow me away like Ocarina of Time, Link to the Past, and the original did. I'd like to see where I ever asserted that it sucked. I hold Zelda games to really high standards and that one didn't meet mine when I played it.

What do you mean judging by my post? I said I played all the ones since Ocarina of Time but I never bought them myself. I played Twilight Princess at a friend's house and while it was a solid game it didn't exactly blow me away like Ocarina of Time, Link to the Past, and the original did. I'd like to see where I ever asserted that it sucked. I hold Zelda games to really high standards and that one didn't meet mine when I played it.

Just the way you worded it made it seem like you hadn't played TP. I agree wind waker was bleh, too kiddy and way too easy for my taste (though I did like the plot including the Ocarina of Time Hyrule Castle reference).

I agree also that TP was solid, but not great, it just seemed like you were trashing it b/c you said you don't trust the opinion of anyone who liked TP, which I don't think it's THAT bad. I picked up Skyward Sword today, have to finish some work first before I let myself play it. Going to play tomorrow, and will share my initial thoughts on the game then. And though I did like TP, Ocarina and Link to the Past are my standards for great Zelda games.

update: I've been having fun with the game, it is pretty impressive so far. Just started playing yesterday, so not far enough along yet to determine where it stands among the best.

that being said, the controls are great and really do make things challenging. You can still get away with hack and slash against small enemies, but against tough ones you have to be patient and precise or you'll get killed every time. Tight rope walking is fun because you have to maintain balance, swinging from ropes is cool because you have to swing the controller, fighting groups is interesting because if you just do hack and slash your stamina wears out very quickly, so you have to run around and then attack at times. Some of the puzzles are tough so far and take some figuring out, same with certain enemies, and the hints you can get don't usually give the puzzle away completely like they used to. Flying on the bird is fun, but very tough and it takes some time to figure it out fully. Graphics are pretty cool, the music is great. Storyline is cool so far, and the game seems to take place after Windwaker, given certain references, which I believe makes it the newest time era for a Zelda game.

The game is already better than TP, which is 4th on my list. Not sure if it's better than Ocarina yet, much more gameplay needed to determine that, but it is challenging LTP and the Zelda 1 already and I've only just cleared the first major level. This game requires a lot of time, just like Ocarina did. I don't see any reason not to buy this game so far.

I got the game last night and have so far made it through to the end of the first dungeon. I have to say I'm impressed. While the Wii motion plus swordplay was a bit difficult to get down at first, now that I have I can't imagine ever playing another Zelda game without it. It gives the fights a much better feel and makes them much more fun.

I think one of the major improvements to this game is that I care more about the characters than I did in past Zelda games. For those of you that have played it, I was determined to win the race at the beginning and not allow Groose to end up with Zelda even though it seems there's no way to lose that race. :ols:

Too early for me to rank it but its giving Ocarina a run for its money and may well outdo it by the time I reach the end. This is coming from someone who has held Ocarina of Time as his favorite video game ever for the last decade plus.

Umm... this one is actually the very earliest chronologically (so far).

Oh, see there is a particular item given at the beginning of the game which is a windwaker reference, so I assumed Skyward took place after WindWaker, which took place after Ocarina, but I can see how it would be a reference, but as the original. Anyways, the game is a lot of fun so far, and though Twilight Princess had some challenges, it doesn't touch what Skyward has done. I haven't been challenged like this in a Zelda game since Ocarina, and I'm only 9 hours in, early into the 4th level (volcano).

---------- Post added November-25th-2011 at 02:46 AM ----------

I got the game last night and have so far made it through to the end of the first dungeon. I have to say I'm impressed. While the Wii motion plus swordplay was a bit difficult to get down at first, now that I have I can't imagine ever playing another Zelda game without it. It gives the fights a much better feel and makes them much more fun.

I think one of the major improvements to this game is that I care more about the characters than I did in past Zelda games. For those of you that have played it, I was determined to win the race at the beginning and not allow Groose to end up with Zelda even though it seems there's no way to lose that race. :ols:

Too early for me to rank it but its giving Ocarina a run for its money and may well outdo it by the time I reach the end. This is coming from someone who has held Ocarina of Time as his favorite video game ever for the last decade plus.

Agreed on the controls. Just wait 'til you get to start rolling bombs. And you're right about the race, you can't lose, which actually was good b/c I didn't fully get the hang of flying until after the first dungeon when I started flying to the little islands in the sky to explore, so at the start I was afraid it was going to take a bunch of tries.

For me, it all depends on where the story line goes and how much more stuff you can do with the controllers, the sidequests, and the cool items/gadgets still left to be able to determine if Skyward beats out Ocarina or Link to the Past.

Has anyone else noticed a control stick bug? I need to unplug the nunchuk 2-3 times every time I play because Link will get stuck running one direction. It's pretty much the same thing as what happens if you hold down the control stick during startup of Wii games, except it'll happen seemingly at random while I'm playing the game.

Just bought this game since everyone raved. I'm not a gamer much at all, but figured why not? I am still getting through all of the BS at the beginning (just finished the race). Please tell me it gets better, because I'm already getting bored. :( I assume that the beginning stuff is just so the kiddies can figure out how to do things.

Archived