Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: IGN 10/10 "Ocarina of Time has met it's match."

Sticksboi05

http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1211616p1.html

Ask people which is their favourite Zelda game, and you'll almost always get the same answer. There will always be the odd Wind Waker or Majora's Mask maverick in there, but the overwhelming majority will tell you that it's Ocarina of Time. It doesn't matter whether they're 16 or 35. Ocarina of Time's shadow looms so large over every later Zelda game that they've had to work extremely hard to distinguish themselves; Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks did it with that cartoonish art style, where Twilight Princess made a slightly less confident foray into novelty with its wolfish Link.

After this year, though, there's a serious chance that answer is going to change. I've spent enough time with The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword now to realise that this may very well be the best Zelda game ever made. There's no aspect of series tradition that hasn't been revisited and reassessed, and the way that it uses motion control is so effortless and enjoyable that it makes you really mourn for what the Wii could have done if more developers had only made the effort.

It's more than that, though. It's got a feel about it, a kind of magic, that only the best games have. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is a serious contender for Ocarina of Time's crown, and here are the reasons why.

This is pretty much the only reason my Wii still remains in my house. I got it for Smash Bros/Mario/Zelda.

The term "better than Ocarina of Time" is almost sacrilegious in gaming. I am very excited for this.

And I know many think A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game ever.

Here are reviews so far for Skyward Sword...

Edge 10/10

Game Informer 10/10

GamesTM 9/10

Official Nintendo Magazine 10/10

I anticipate quite a few GOTY awards.

We'll see about that. Ocarina of time was fantastic. It had great music, a great story, interesting gameplay dynamics, fantastically made and thought out dungeons/puzzles. It wasn't too complicated, it wasn't too easy, it was everything it should have been. Time travel, music, magic, destiny, etc. It was one of my favorite games from my childhood along with Super Mario RPG. It is simply greatness.

This new game would have to do a lot to surpass it. I haven't been much of a fan of Zelda games directed by Fujibayashi. Miyamoto is the true creative genius. I mean, I know he has some hand in these games still but he was 100% dedicated to them when he made Ocarina of Time.

mmmmm....

We'll see about that. Ocarina of time was fantastic. It had great music, a great story, interesting gameplay dynamics, fantastically made and thought out dungeons/puzzles. It wasn't too complicated, it wasn't too easy, it was everything it should have been. Time travel, music, magic, destiny, etc. It was one of my favorite games from my childhood along with Super Mario RPG. It is simply greatness.

This new game would have to do a lot to surpass it. I haven't been much of a fan of Zelda games directed by Fujibayashi. Miyamoto is the true creative genius. I mean, I know he has some hand in these games still but he was 100% dedicated to them when he made Ocarina of Time.

mmmmm....

Miyamoto is a god, but when it comes to Zelda games, Eiji Aonuma is the guy to look at now. The first Zelda game he worked on? Ocarina of Time. He's been the head man of the Zelda team ever since. As for Fujibayashi, this is his first crack at a console Zelda game. Perhaps what is making this one so special is the combination of Fujibayashi as Director and Aonuma as Producer.

---------- Post added November-8th-2011 at 01:05 PM ----------

OoT and A Link to the Past are the two best easily. To be honest, Twilight Princess disappointed me.

personally, I loved Twilight Princess, but it's not everyone's taste. I'm a little surprised, though, you didn't put Majora's Mask up there. The world created for that game was something special.

Ocarina of time had a lot of freedom of movement and a wide open world design that didn't feel restrictive or so expansive that you were always in a different "zone" which is a design concept that always backfires. If you don't operate in the same large zone most of the time you never familiarize yourself with it and the game becomes linear and in doing so makes the area around you little more than a temporary backdrop. It had amusing games and fishing to kill time and deepen the experience of the virtual "world".

The Zelda games on Wii have had story lines that are entirely uninteresting and gameplay that in large part is boring. They lost the quick feel of zelda where you zoom around quickly and replaced it with claustrophobia inducing chambers and environments that give the game a "escape from this latest prison" feeling.

If this new game really does take things back to what made the franchise famous I'm all for it. Having seen the preview I have my doubts.

A Link to the Past was SNES, right? If so, I loved that one...also the only Zelda game I ever finished. I owned Zelda II and could never beat it, never had the original. Also, never owned any video game systems between SNES/Genesis and a Wii, so I missed a lot of the other games. I've owned Twilight Princess for two years and have barely played it, just don't have the time.

Miyamoto is a god, but when it comes to Zelda games, Eiji Aonuma is the guy to look at now. The first Zelda game he worked on? Ocarina of Time. He's been the head man of the Zelda team ever since. As for Fujibayashi, this is his first crack at a console Zelda game. Perhaps what is making this one so special is the combination of Fujibayashi as Director and Aonuma as Producer.

---------- Post added November-8th-2011 at 01:05 PM ----------

personally, I loved Twilight Princess, but it's not everyone's taste. I'm a little surprised, though, you didn't put Majora's Mask up there. The world created for that game was something special.

I'd put it in the next category with Windwaker and the first LOZ.

A Link to the Past was SNES, right? If so, I loved that one...also the only Zelda game I ever finished. I owned Zelda II and could never beat it, never had the original. Also, never owned any video game systems between SNES/Genesis and a Wii, so I missed a lot of the other games. I've owned Twilight Princess for two years and have barely played it, just don't have the time.

yeah, ALttP was SNES. Zelda II was a difficult (I kinda stopped playing it after awhile; couldn't figure out where to go) and was far from a traditional Zelda experience.

you need to find some time to get your Zelda on, because there are some timeless classics in there.

yeah, ALttP was SNES. Zelda II was a difficult (I kinda stopped playing it after awhile; couldn't figure out where to go) and was far from a traditional Zelda experience.

you need to find some time to get your Zelda on, because there are some timeless classics in there.

I'd have to own the systems first. Weren't OOT, Windwaker, Majora's Mask, all those for N64 or versions of playstation or whatever? I own a functional NES/SNES/Genesis and a Wii. Nothing in between.

I'd have to own the systems first. Weren't OOT, Windwaker, Majora's Mask, all those for N64 or versions of playstation or whatever? I own a functional NES/SNES/Genesis and a Wii. Nothing in between.

OoT and Majora's Mask were N64. Windwaker was gamecube (which can be played on Wii). Also there is a gamecube version of OoT that you can play on the Wii. You can also buy OoT and Majora's Mask on the virtual console on the Wii.

Very, very much looking forward to this game. I thought Twilight Princess was great for the Wii and a welcomed departure from the overly-kiddy Wind Waker and other GCN Zeldas. The control usage was great, and I'm excited that the reviews are already saying the control is even better in Skyward.

FWIW, A Link to the Past is my personal favorite, but Ocarina is my very close 2nd and it is the best Zelda. If Skyward can even challenge Ocarina it will be well worth the buy. (Twilight Princess was great, but didn't really challenge Ocarina).

Does it have the puzzles that Ocarina of Time did? Thats one thing I've found sorely lacking in games these days ... theres too much hand-holding and nothing to really figure out.

---------- Post added November-8th-2011 at 01:46 PM ----------

The N64 emulators for the PC were pretty good last I checkd and both OoT and Majora's mask were playable ... I think I even still have the ROMS if you're interested.

oh, and who's getting the controller bundle?

skyward_sword_bundle1314634513.jpg

---------- Post added November-8th-2011 at 01:48 PM ----------

The N64 emulators for the PC were pretty good last I checkd and both OoT and Majora's mask were playable ... I think I even still have the ROMS if you're interested.

probably best not to discuss ROMs on the public forum. However I'm happy to discuss other aspects of emulation such as the emulators themselves and OoT HiRes packs.

yeah, Zelda II was a ***** when I was a kid. many of the original NES games were difficult, and not just cuz I was a kid, they are difficult now. I don't know a person who can beat Battletoads or Back to the Future w/o using cheats on their PC (playing the roms)

For me, the worthwhile plays are (and I hope I'm not forgetting any): Zelda- NES, Link to the Past- SNES, Ocarina- N64, 4 Swords- advance/DS, Twilight Princess- Wii

For me, the worthwhile plays are (and I hope I'm not forgetting any): Zelda- NES, Link to the Past- SNES, Ocarina- N64, 4 Swords- advance/DS, Twilight Princess- Wii

You left of Majora's Mask and WindWaker. Personally I wasn't a huge WindWaker fan as far as Zelda games go (goddamn sailing!) but it is definitely a worthwhile game.

basically, all the console titles are must-plays (except maybe 4-swords adventure if you have to play solo)

for the handhelds, Link's Awakening and the Oracle games are worthwhile plays. I think Minish Cap is supposed to be good, but I haven't played it. Haven't heard many good things about the DS games.

I actually did not like Mask, and Windwaker was decent, but too kiddy and way too easy. awakening was good, but I haven't played the other two.

I didn't actually find WindWaker to be all that kiddy. It did have an aura of childish innocence, but not really kiddy when it comes to plot and gameplay.

As for Majora's Mask, it wasn't the main plot that I found interesting about that game, but everything happening in the world around it and how you can have an impact on people's lives.

I too am in the camp of people who have only kept their Wii for this game.

I absolutely love Zelda. OoT is easily one of the top 5 greatest games of all time. Twilight Princess is certainly the best Wii game to date. Very excited to play this one.

I don't consider Twilight Princess to be a Wii game. It will always be a Gamecube game to me.

i'm in the camp of keeping the wii for this game, but my kids play gamecube games on it and the wired controller is a trip hazard. after 5 hard falls, my eject button broke and my wii is dust. dammit...

since it's collecting dust, you could always hack it and install a USB loader. I love my USB loader so I don't have to constantly swap out discs to play different games. Or when I'm traveling, all I have to bring is my USB HDD.

Or, I suppose, you could get it fixed (is it the actual button or the eject mechanism?)

edit: forgot to mention the USB loader only works on Wii games at this point, not gamecube.

I don't consider Twilight Princess to be a Wii game. It will always be a Gamecube game to me.

Although the same game, the additions (although minor in most respects) made for a different game and a better experience IMO. Using the motion control was great. Plus the game just felt more fluid. But you are right. For all intents and purposes, it was (and always will be) and GC original.

Archived