Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: IGN 10/10 "Ocarina of Time has met it's match."

Sticksboi05

Just bought this game since everyone raved. I'm not a gamer much at all, but figured why not? I am still getting through all of the BS at the beginning (just finished the race). Please tell me it gets better, because I'm already getting bored. :( I assume that the beginning stuff is just so the kiddies can figure out how to do things.

I liked the beginning, but it does get better (don't worry, that bird rescue part is not indicative of what's to come at all). I like how I can't just beat each enemy with my eyes closed so far. It really isn't just the same old formula. It's shaping up to be a very good game outside of the control glitches.

Anyone have updates? Can't seem to play this game longer than 30-40 minutes at a clip. It is fun to swing the sword around.

So be honest: How many of you play this game standing with full body motion swings? :ols:

I just beat the volcano and mining stages and got Zelda's harp/ Shaping up to be a very good game, and it is increasingly challenging. I have to get further in to make a better assessment, but I'm loving this game so far. The first couple hours are intro stuff and slow though, I agree, but it helps you get accustomed to the controls.

I found the first boss battle to be very frustrating. I actually had to use a fairy to revive me, but I never quite got how you're supposed to fake the guy out without unintentionally swinging your sword.

I'm still having the control stick problems. Is no one else experiencing this?

I found the first boss battle to be very frustrating. I actually had to use a fairy to revive me, but I never quite got how you're supposed to fake the guy out without unintentionally swinging your sword.

I'm still having the control stick problems. Is no one else experiencing this?

hold the sword to one side, and then do a power swing from the other side. or hold the sword up and then do a horizontal attack. but even then it is tough. the best way I found to beat him was time his forward rushing attack and slice him before he hits. Took me several tries to beat him. The bosses since haven't been as hard, though the lizard guys are kind of a pain.

hold the sword to one side, and then do a power swing from the other side. or hold the sword up and then do a horizontal attack. but even then it is tough. the best way I found to beat him was time his forward rushing attack and slice him before he hits. Took me several tries to beat him. The bosses since haven't been as hard, though the lizard guys are kind of a pain.

That's what I was doing, except when you try to go to the other side it registers as a swing of the sword. It just took a while to finally get him down, and I'm pretty sure I just started slashing haphazardly to finally get him down.

That's what I was doing, except when you try to go to the other side it registers as a swing of the sword. It just took a while to finally get him down, and I'm pretty sure I just started slashing haphazardly to finally get him down.

you have to bring the sword back and then swipe at a new angle. I was making the same mistake at first also, and would slash at the same angle despite slashing from the other side. The controls are very precise, but once you get it down it's pretty sweet. there are times, especially when facing groups of enemies, where I'll just hack and slash. But even then you have to keep an eye on the stamina meter and you can still get hit just randomly slashing.

but if you have them guarding one side, and then make sure to do a pull back and then slash from the other side, it usually works. It requires very fast movement though.

you have to bring the sword back and then swipe at a new angle. I was making the same mistake at first also, and would slash at the same angle despite slashing from the other side. The controls are very precise, but once you get it down it's pretty sweet. there are times, especially when facing groups of enemies, where I'll just hack and slash. But even then you have to keep an eye on the stamina meter and you can still get hit just randomly slashing.

but if you have them guarding one side, and then make sure to do a pull back and then slash from the other side, it usually works. It requires very fast movement though.

Hmm, sounds like it might work. I'll have to test it out.

Hmm, sounds like it might work. I'll have to test it out.

Another thing I figured out that works is holding the sword directly in front of you and then doing a quick side slash. If it is blocked, then bring the sword back up quickly and slash from the other side, or do the fake out like I said previously. It requires very fast movement, and I'm not going to lie, I definitely hit myself in the chin once doing the quick movement while sitting down.

so watching the little introduction story thing, I couldn't help but notice the mention of humans. Have humans ever been a part of the Zelda universe before? (My understanding was that Hylians were their own specie).

I've always thought that Hylian was a nationality kinda like British or American. If that's the case they wouldn't be able to call them Hylians since this game predates the existence of Hyrule.

I've always thought that Hylian was a nationality kinda like British or American. If that's the case they wouldn't be able to call them Hylians since this game predates the existence of Hyrule.

Been doing a little research and this looks to be about right. Apparently the Sky People created Hyrule when they rose their own capital into the sky and I guess at that point they split off into two nationalities and evolved divergently? I haven't gotten very far into SS, so I can't speak to what that game says about it, but I do wonder the relation between them sky people and the Oocca from Twilight Princess.

Well since we're discussing races (of Hyrule, not Hylia... Hylia's a lake), did you know the Rito bird-people of Windwaker evolved from the Zoras? Weird that the water-dwelling creatures evolve to become land-dwelling bird-people after the land is flooded. You'd think that if anyone didn't have to adapt to the new environment it'd be them.

As for the link between the Sky People, the Ooccoo, and the Hylians, I want to play through Skyward Sword first to see if any more to that is revealed. Until then, I wonder if the Ooccoo have any connection with them Loftwings. Doubtful since the Ooccoo are fully-sentient speaking beings and the Loftwings seem to be more of a horse-like creature.

I'm also curious what Headmaster Gaepora's relation to Kaepora Gaebora (the owl from OoT) is.

Haven't had as much time to play it lately, but I'm pretty close to the end and have been loving this game. It's contending with Ocarina right now. I won't know until after I beat it, but the action is still great, while you do revisit areas the game isn't too repetitive. The storyline is pretty cool, and I it seems I was right that this game takes place after Ocarina, and may be the newest on the timeline.

Haven't had as much time to play it lately, but I'm pretty close to the end and have been loving this game. It's contending with Ocarina right now. I won't know until after I beat it, but the action is still great, while you do revisit areas the game isn't too repetitive. The storyline is pretty cool, and I it seems I was right that this game takes place after Ocarina, and may be the newest on the timeline.

Eiji Aonuma: "this title, Skyward Sword, takes place before Ocarina of Time."

Eiji Aonuma: "this title, Skyward Sword, takes place before Ocarina of Time."

It wouldn't be the first time a Japanese producer was wrong about Zelda's timeline. I'll take his word for it, but it certainly seems like Skyward is taking place after. Maybe it's just before though.

It wouldn't be the first time a Japanese producer was wrong about Zelda's timeline. I'll take his word for it, but it certainly seems like Skyward is taking place after. Maybe it's just before though.

I don't know exactly how far into the game you are, but it certainly seems like a precursor to OoT from what I see. The most obvious part would be that this is the origin story for the Master Sword. Any game with the Master Sword must come after this. Also, I saw a comment at one point alluding to what I think will be the origin of The Great Deku Tree.

I started this but unfortunately other obligations have gotten in the way of my playtime. I'm still in the very first foresty area you come to right at the beginning. :( I WANNA PLAY SO BAD.

Zelda's a game you shouldn't play unless you have a couple hours to do so. So you're making the right choice.

Just beat the game in normal mode! Yes Packer, it is afterall earlier than Ocarina and explains the origins of several things, including why Gannondorf, or whatever evil, always manifests itself, the Sheik tribe, and the master sword, as well as other stuff. I can't wait to play this game in hero mode. The ending credits are cool too, but I won;t give that away.

All in all this game gave Ocarina a run for it's money. The side quests, for me, are the tie-breaker. Ocarina had more, and cooler ones to boot, though Skyward sword has some good ones too. A Link to the Past is still my personal favorite, but Ocarina is 1a and Skyward 1b. Awesome, awesome game!

Just beat the game in normal mode! Yes Packer, it is afterall earlier than Ocarina and explains the origins of several things, including why Gannondorf, or whatever evil, always manifests itself, the Sheik tribe, and the master sword, as well as other stuff. I can't wait to play this game in hero mode. The ending credits are cool too, but I won;t give that away.

All in all this game gave Ocarina a run for it's money. The side quests, for me, are the tie-breaker. Ocarina had more, and cooler ones to boot, though Skyward sword has some good ones too. A Link to the Past is still my personal favorite, but Ocarina is 1a and Skyward 1b. Awesome, awesome game!

I'm actually really excited to finish this game so that I can see how the story finishes. Not just the story for this particular game, but all the things it explains within the franchise. That's something this one's really got going for it. I hope Fujibayashi and Aonuma work together on another one, because I'm really pleased with how this has turned out. And I've never been one to immediately move into a "new game+", but I think I just may do that for this game. The combat is really fun and hopefully the Hero quest will challenge me even more.

Archived