Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Van Halen: new album "A different kind of truth" is out now! The album crushes..go buy it.

Commander PK

I might be off base but I'm going to give Wolfgang some credit for the way this record sounds. Not just his bass playing which he holds his own. But I think his youth infusion helped them a lot. This album has a bit of 20 something 'F U' to it. I'm not sure if would have that with Michael Anthony.

Just a thought...

That’s when Ross Hogarth wandered by, Jeff met him earlier. He talked with all of us about the album, what an incredibly nice guy. To sit and talk to us for that length about the band, and take our picture…mind blowing. He went on to say that the Van Halens are so tight, they will play together until they die. Wolfgang is so important to Ed, and he LOVES beyond belief playing with his son. He also went on to say that Mike IS the nicest person in the business, an incredible talent, one of the great human beings in rock, but Wolfgang is really the reason why Van Halen has lived on, and that’s something Mike couldn’t do. So there you have it. More kudos to Wolf. He got Eddie back on track, works for me! Ross also thought there would for sure be another album, which was cool to hear. Oh and Eddie and Dave are of course the Alpha Dogs of VH. And when Wolfgang wants the band to stop or change something, he will never stop Dave. He will look at his dad, and Ed will stop the band. Thought that was interesting to hear. And yes the album was recorded at Henson Studios. It didn’t sound like any of it was recorded at 5150, it was mixed there though.

^^^^This is a nice, unbiased review. (Sarcasm)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

It got 4 outta 5 stars in Allmusic.com (My music bible.)

http://www.allmusic.com/album/a-different-kind-of-truth-r2386764/review

"Certainly, there are hooks here, even some with pop propulsion, but the unexpected signature of A Different Kind of Truth is its heaviness, its 13 songs of loud, unrelenting rock."

Just watching the additional videos on my tv (via apple tv) and this is just a great rocking album. I'm loving during the "you and your blues (intro) video when DLR is telling a story and tells Wolfie " no comments, I can read thought bubbles kid, i've been in this cartoon a long time".

Bought the album around 4 after I got off work. Listened to the whole thing in the car on the way home. so who else **** their pants when they heard Eddie's guitar lick near the end of "China Town"...just before the pause? :ols: I was laughing in the car, and shaking my head at how amazing that was.

I'm trying not to be biased, but the album has totally exceeded my expectations, and I expected a lot. Totally awesome job by the guys. People can harp on Michael Anthony not being a part of this, but I think Wolfgang's positive influence on his dad couldn't be more obvious now. and he throttles the hell out of that bass on some of the songs.

Bottom line...if Wolfie isn't playing with Ed, this album never gets made. He deserves a lot of credit. (and as an aside note...some of the background vocals especially on "you and your blues"...the kid more than holds his own. He's legit.)

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 08:52 PM ----------

2:12 - 2:33

and then from the pause to the end. EPIC

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 08:53 PM ----------

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 09:04 PM ----------

Awesome song...captures the essence of the early Van Halen albums.

What a GREAT album!

So much energy from these guys.

Love that Ross Horgarth said he thinks they will do another album as well.

Also a great start to the interviews with the band with the history.

http://van-halen.com/

Also If you never had a chance to see Van Halen do their thing go for it.

Old age is about to wipe out a generation of rockers with nothing replacing them.

Another awesome track...there are so many good ones it's hard to pick a favorite.

---------- Post added February-8th-2012 at 10:14 AM ----------

This very well could be the best "reunion" album or comeback album of all time.

Comeback album? Since you put that out there, I can't think of a better one honestly. As a big Priest fan "Angel of Retribution" was great. Metallica's "Death Magnetic" was awesome also.

I'd think at this point, you have to give the edge to Van Halen, if only for the fact that hardly anyone believed they had it in them anymore. Then to come back with this?...amazing. They definitely seem to have surprised everyone but the most dedicated few.

---------- Post added February-8th-2012 at 10:23 AM ----------

TIME review... definitely not fan boy raving... :) but pretty good none the less.

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/02/08/van-halens-a-different-kind-of-truth-isnt-cool-but-it-definitely-rocks/

Painkiller there's one album I forgot about, and that would be the last Alice in Chains. That was a great set of tunes.

yeah, that was a heck of a comeback also. There have been a lot of great albums from classic acts over the last several years.

I guess we all need to enjoy it while it lasts.

Well, I haven't been terribly enthusiastic for this considering the long slow spiral downward I think VH took to becoming parodies of themselves...

but the tracks on the page here are very good. Stripped back.. the glitz and cutesy crap are removed.

China Town,,I like.

~Bang

Question. I've never seen VH in concert, so when Sammy Hagar was the lead singer, was he able to sing the old VH songs when DLR was singing and do you guys think DLR will be able to sing the Sammy Hagar led songs from 5150, OU812, etc.?

DLR will never sing Hagar songs.

Sammy sang old VH songs, but couldn't give it the edge DLR could.

Question. I've never seen VH in concert, so when Sammy Hagar was the lead singer, was he able to sing the old VH songs when DLR was singing and do you guys think DLR will be able to sing the Sammy Hagar led songs from 5150, OU812, etc.?

Dave won't sing any of Sammy's songs. Sammy only sang a couple of Dave's. Those guys can't stand each other...and for the moment at least the brothers seem to have put the Hagar era to the side. They don't even talk about it. Dave is the one doing all the talking these days. I've seen them live 3 times, once with all three singers. Any incarnation of the band has put on a great live show.

Sammy only sang Panama, you Really Got Me and Ain't Talkin Bout Love and later, he started doing Jump but mostly got the crowd to sing. Sammy sang those bitterly. Gary Cherone at least sang stuff off of Fair Warning and Women and Children First (Mean Street, Unchained, Romeo Delight) among others.

I don't want DLR to sing any VanHagar songs.

New cd rocks BTW. I have a copy of their original demo and it's sweet how they adapted songs from it. Wish they didn't change Big Trouble to Big River though. The original lyrics were better IMO.

Dave won't sing any of Sammy's songs. Sammy only sang a couple of Dave's. Those guys can't stand each other...and for the moment at least the brothers seem to have put the Hagar era to the side. They don't even talk about it. Dave is the one doing all the talking these days. I've seen them live 3 times, once with all three singers. Any incarnation of the band has put on a great live show.

Thanks guys. Kind of a shame if you went to concert when Sammy was there and they didn't play some of the classic tunes and just as much of a shame if they don't play some songs now, when Sammy was around, because there are some good songs from those albums.

I am so looking forward to the Verizon Center show in March. This album is just incredible. I've never seen "Van Halen" with DLR (back in 82 I had bad grades and my mother wouldn't let me, ughh) But I had front row seats for the Eat em and Smile tour at the Cap Center and loved it. I've never been crazy about Dave's solo material, a few songs here and there were good but for the most part I couldn't take it. First time I saw Sammy was the Monsters Of Rock show at RFK, may have been OU812 or 5150 can't remember but he put on a decent show, i'll give him credit for that. But to me VH always was and will be the current lineup. Wish Mike was there but Wolfie proved to me and everyone that he can handle the responsibilities of vocals and bass so i'm over the Michael Anthony thing. Just pumped about the show, right before my naked steaming eyes.

:)

Thanks guys. Kind of a shame if you went to concert when Sammy was there and they didn't play some of the classic tunes and just as much of a shame if they don't play some songs now, when Sammy was around, because there are some good songs from those albums.

Most likely your last chance to ever hear the Van Hagar era stuff live again was in '04, at least with Van Halen playing it anyway. Sammy still does some of those songs with the Wabos. Fortunately, in '04 I caught Van Halen early at Hershey Park. Was just the 2nd show on that tour, before Eddie really started to lose control with his drinking. I thought they sounded great. The Van Halen III album was panned, and I didn't think much of it at the time either. As I've stated on here before, that album has kind of grown on me over the years as a "stand alone" effort. Gary Cherone is/was a decent vocalist, but he just didn't fit the band. It was like they were trying to re-create the Van Hagar sound...just without Sammy. One thing that was great about that time though, was the '98 tour in support of the album. Gary sang a lot of the older stuff from Dave. Songs that hadn't been heard live during the Hagar era, like "Romeo Delight" and "Somebody get me a Doctor" (sung by Michael Anthony) That tour was unique in that it was probably the only time you will ever hear the work from both eras fully represented. I'm glad I went looking back.

As far as Michael Anthony, what most people don't know is that he was barely a member of the band at any point after the Balance album. He only played on three songs on Van Halen III, and the only reason he was on the tour in '04 was because Sammy wouldn't do it without him. From all accounts Mikey seems to be a great guy, but he definitely did something that really pissed off the brothers. (well before playing with Sammy as "the other half") A couple little known facts also, are that Eddie Van Halen asked Billy Sheehan to replace Anthony back in the early 80's (apparently he wasn't happy with him then either), and at one point Eddie allegedly tried to leave Van Halen and join Kiss. Gene Simmons convinced him otherwise. Another, is that Eddie asked Patty Smith from Scandal to replace Dave before Sammy ever joined, but she declined the offer. Can you imagine what that would have sounded like? :ols: I bet they could have done a awesome rendition of "The Warrior" :)

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 08:41 PM ----------

I completely forgot about he Gary Charone disaster.

I think the album in hindsight was better than people gave it credit for...the fans were just so pissed off the reunion with Dave in '96 went nowhere they took it out on that album. (Which admittedly is far from their finest work, but it's not as bad as people said at that time...myself included) The tour was great.

Archived