Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Van Halen: new album "A different kind of truth" is out now! The album crushes..go buy it.

Commander PK

I am so looking forward to the Verizon Center show in March. This album is just incredible. I've never seen "Van Halen" with DLR (back in 82 I had bad grades and my mother wouldn't let me, ughh) But I had front row seats for the Eat em and Smile tour at the Cap Center and loved it. I've never been crazy about Dave's solo material, a few songs here and there were good but for the most part I couldn't take it. First time I saw Sammy was the Monsters Of Rock show at RFK, may have been OU812 or 5150 can't remember but he put on a decent show, i'll give him credit for that. But to me VH always was and will be the current lineup. Wish Mike was there but Wolfie proved to me and everyone that he can handle the responsibilities of vocals and bass so i'm over the Michael Anthony thing. Just pumped about the show, right before my naked steaming eyes.

:)

I remember that Monsters of Rock show at RFK...what a day! Van Halen, Scorpions, Dokken, Metallica, and Kingdom Come. A really cool lineup for those days. That was my first stadium show, so I remember it well.

I wish that I was going to be in the States to see VH this year...may be the last time to see this lineup. I saw them with Sammy twice and Dave solo twice, but never the original lineup. They were by far my favorite band growing up. They have become something of a drama circus but I'm sure the show will be great.

I think the album in hindsight was better than people gave it credit for...the fans were just so pissed off the reunion with Dave in '96 went nowhere they took it out on that album. (Which admittedly is far from their finest work, but it's not as bad as people said at that time...myself included) The tour was great.

I have purchased every album when they came out, seen them in concert multiple times, have everything they ever did on my ipod, favorite band since childhood.....owned every DLR solo album and single...awaited a release of the California Girls movie with baited breath only for it never to be released....

I don't have that Gary C crap album VH III on my ipod. It got the credit it deserved, it was terrible :)

I don't have that Gary C crap album VH III on my ipod. It got the credit it deserved, it was terrible :)

fair enough, but all jokes aside. When was the last time you gave it a spin? I ask, because the collectors edition with the circus themed tin was collecting dust on my shelf for about 10 years when I gave it another try. :) There are some redeeming qualities about the album. "One I Want" "Without You" "Fire in the Hole" and "Year to the Day" are really decent songs IMO.

Are you up for a little challenge? :) Listen to it from "Neworld" through "Ballot or the Bullet" again, (Just stop after that, don't listen to "How many say I") and come back and tell me it's as bad as people said. :)

fair enough, but all jokes aside. When was the last time you gave it a spin? I ask, because the collectors edition with the circus themed tin was collecting dust on my shelf for about 10 years when I gave it another try. :) There are some redeeming qualities about the album. "One I Want" "Without You" "Fire in the Hole" and "Year to the Day" are really decent songs IMO.

Are you up for a little challenge? :) Listen to it from "Neworld" through "Ballot or the Bullet" again, (Just stop after that, don't listen to "How many say I") and come back and tell me it's as bad as people said. :)

I will give it a try. Does that mean I don't have to listen to the song Eddie sang :-)

I remember that Monsters of Rock show at RFK...what a day! Van Halen, Scorpions, Dokken, Metallica, and Kingdom Come. A really cool lineup for those days.

Justice era Metallica. The Scorpions. Never was a big Dokken fan, but Metallica, Scorpions, and Van Halen would have been worth the price of admission alone. I remember the advertisements for that show, wish I could have been there.

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 09:49 PM ----------

I will give it a try. Does that mean I don't have to listen to the song Eddie sang :-)

Yeah, you get a pass for that one. I admit, that was worse than advertised 10 years later. :ols:

Can you imagine what that would have sounded like? :ols: I bet they could have done a awesome rendition of "The Warrior" :)

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 08:41 PM ----------

I think the album in hindsight was better than people gave it credit for...the fans were just so pissed off the reunion with Dave in '96 went nowhere they took it out on that album. (Which admittedly is far from their finest work, but it's not as bad as people said at that time...myself included) The tour was great.

Great information. Thanks. I didn't want to quote the whole thing.

Painkiller, I would go as far to say that I enjoy VH3 much more than OU812 and Balance. Newworld, Without You, From Afar, Fire in the Hole, A Year to the Day, and Ballot or the Bullet are much better than much of OU812 and Balance. Really the only enjoyable tracks from them albums to me are Finish What Ya Started, When it's Love, Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do, Aftershock, and Apolitical Blues (which happens to be a fine cover). The rest of those two albums are duds. I'd rather listen to One I Want more than AFU (Naturally Wired).

I remember that Monsters of Rock show at RFK...what a day! Van Halen, Scorpions, Dokken, Metallica, and Kingdom Come. A really cool lineup for those days. That was my first stadium show, so I remember it well.

I wish that I was going to be in the States to see VH this year...may be the last time to see this lineup. I saw them with Sammy twice and Dave solo twice, but never the original lineup. They were by far my favorite band growing up. They have become something of a drama circus but I'm sure the show will be great.

I was there and it was great. We left after a couple Hagar songs, as they were terribly boring.

I'm wondering what their next single will be and whether it will actually catch the ear of the mainstream? While I'm loving the album, I kinda wish they had waited for a summer release. I could see some of these songs getting some airplay at the beach.

I'm thinking of growing a mullett and cranking this album in Myrtle Beach ala Kenny Powers.

I'm wondering what their next single will be and whether it will actually catch the ear of the mainstream? While I'm loving the album, I kinda wish they had waited for a summer release. I could see some of these songs getting some airplay at the beach.

I'm thinking of growing a mullett and cranking this album in Myrtle Beach ala Kenny Powers.

Probably She's the Woman.

Probably She's the Woman.

If I was making the decisions, I would go with that one...or "You and Your Blues" I think that track is awesome. If there could be such a thing, I think it really sounds like a cross between the Dave and Sammy eras. There are any number of tracks on the album that could be the next single. If they want to go with a barn burner, pick "China Town"

• 1 month later...
Anybody else going to the show tonight? Can't wait!

I was there man. The band sounded great. Instrumentally, as good as they ever have. Dave did as good as could be expected at his age, the guy isn't in his 20's anymore. I will say, whoever was doing the sound this time did a much better job than at the 2007 show. The echo and reverb wasn't nearly as bad this time.

Overall, I was a very happy customer. We tried to go to Hard Rock for dinner before the show, and they had a two hour wait. We ended up getting a sandwich at Potbelly, and then just went in and started drinking. :ols:

I did pick up the album a couple weeks back, and I think it is a bunch of meh. I'm glad they put out a new album and it isn't awful, but when Tattoo is the best song on the album, you know this isn't going to be one for the ages.

You're the first person I've heard that thinks "Tattoo" is the best song on the album...most people myself included think it's the worst. For me the album starts at "She's the Woman." Tattoo was obviously their attempt to appeal to the largest group of people who might not necessarily be Van Halen fans, the casual fans. A bunch of people downloaded it, but I think it's safe to say judging by most opinions I've read it failed at pleasing either group. With that said, Van Halen at their worst are still better than most at their best IMO.

I did pick up the album a couple weeks back, and I think it is a bunch of meh. I'm glad they put out a new album and it isn't awful, but when Tattoo is the best song on the album, you know this isn't going to be one for the ages.

Is this trolling? Or some kind of April Fool's deal?

You're the first person I've heard that thinks "Tattoo" is the best song on the album...most people myself included think it's the worst.

I don't exactly call that a compliment, since I don't like Tattoo, but I find the album in general mostly C-Level Van Halen. Granted, that's not awful, but I generally find the album uninspired. There isn't anything on this album that I find memorable. Fact is, the tracks they did for the greatest hits album ("Me Wise Magic" and "Can't Get This Stuff No More") is far better than what is on this album.

Is this trolling? Or some kind of April Fool's deal?

No, just a Van Halen fan disappointed in one of his favorite bands.

No, just a Van Halen fan disappointed in one of his favorite bands.

I respect your opinion Longshot, but I don't have the slightest idea what would not have disappointed you if you don't like this album. It's much better than I expected, and I expected a lot.

I respect your opinion Longshot, but I don't have the slightest idea what would not have disappointed you if you don't like this album. It's much better than I expected, and I expected a lot.

Agreed Painkiller. I've had this thing about 2 months now and it still almost gets a daily listen. With that said, I have a feeling the reason some don't like/love it is that it is a little light on pop hooks. Lyrically, musically, and sonically it is awesome.

Archived