Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Van Halen: new album "A different kind of truth" is out now! The album crushes..go buy it.

Commander PK

Agreed Painkiller. I've had this thing about 2 months now and it still almost gets a daily listen. With that said, I have a feeling the reason some don't like/love it is that it is a little light on pop hooks. Lyrically, musically, and sonically it is awesome.

I think I get what you are saying. It's the most "metal" sounding Van Halen have been since Fair Warning. If that makes any sense.

I think I get what you are saying. It's the most "metal" sounding Van Halen have been since Fair Warning. If that makes any sense.

Except that I put in Fair Warning just a few days ago, and I think it is FAR better than Truth. (Fair Warning is probably my favorite Van Halen album.)

Except that I put in Fair Warning just a few days ago, and I think it is FAR better than Truth. (Fair Warning is probably my favorite Van Halen album.)

what exactly is it that you don't like about the new album. The way the songs are constructed? Eddie's solo's not catchy enough? I think it's some of the best playing he's ever tracked, and I'm being serious. Dave's lyrics are cool, but he is back in the mix a bit. He can't sing like he could even 10 years ago. I will volunteer that much.

what exactly is it that you don't like about the new album. The way the songs are constructed? Eddie's solo's not catchy enough? I think it's some of the best playing he's ever tracked, and I'm being serious. Dave's lyrics are cool, but he is back in the mix a bit. He can't sing like he could even 10 years ago. I will volunteer that much.

Well, you will never hear me complain about Eddie's playing, but the songs in general are just not grabbing me. Maybe it is because of where Dave is now as a vocalist that I don't care for the rambling he does.

It isn't an awful album, but it isn't a great one either. I find most of it outside of Tattoo and Stay Frosty forgettable, which is sad for me to say as a Van Halen fan.

Well, you will never hear me complain about Eddie's playing, but the songs in general are just not grabbing me. Maybe it is because of where Dave is now as a vocalist that I don't care for the rambling he does.

It isn't an awful album, but it isn't a great one either. I find most of it outside of Tattoo and Stay Frosty forgettable, which is sad for me to say as a Van Halen fan.

What about "As Is" or "Chinatown"..."She's the Woman" sounds like it could have come right off of Van Halen 1 or 2, considering it was written right around the same time. I mean if you don't like it you don't like it, it's a free country...but I think they are great songs. I would say this album for me is right up there with the classic ones. The album is definitely worthy of their name. It's hard to compare the album to the classic 6 though, because I've had 30 or so years to digest them. I started listening to Van Halen when I was around 7. :ols: How can you really compare an album that's only been out about 2 months to one that you've heard a thousand times?

What about "As Is" or "Chinatown"..."She's the Woman" sounds like it could have come right off of Van Halen 1 or 2, considering it was written right around the same time. I mean if you don't like it you don't like it, it's a free country...but I think they are great songs. I would say this album for me is right up there with the classic ones. The album is definitely worthy of their name. It's hard to compare the album to the classic 6 though, because I've had 30 or so years to digest them. I started listening to Van Halen when I was around 7. :ols: How can you really compare an album that's only been out about 2 months to one that you've heard a thousand times?

Maybe I was a little harsh. "Chinatown" is a pretty solid song. That being said, "She's the Woman" starts off strong, but I find it overall pretty limp lyrically.

Maybe I was a little harsh. "Chinatown" is a pretty solid song. That being said, "She's the Woman" starts off strong, but I find it overall pretty limp lyrically.

Im in the other camp on this one :) Love the lyrics to it.

Did you have a chance to rea the new interview?

Archived