Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Comparing stats of Beck/Grossman/McNabb to Campbell/Brunell/Ramsey

themurf

kshanahan110311.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Mike Shanahan has been the head coach of the Washington Redskins for 23 games.

During that time, he’s utilized three different quarterbacks — Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman and John Beck.

Because I’m apparently a masochist, I went back and crunched the numbers those three gentlemen racked up during their time with the Shanahan clan, and because misery loves company, I’m going to share those stats with you now.

Since Shanahan took over, those three Redskins quarterbacks have completed 491 out of 855 passes they’ve attempted (57 percent) for 5,488 yards. They’ve thrown 28 touchdowns, while turning the football over 47 times (31 interceptions and 16 fumbles). That’s good enough for a combined quarterback rating of 72.4 and a 9-14 record.

In case you’re wondering, that translates to an average of 21 completions on 37 attempts for 238 yards with a touchdown and two turnovers per game. That’s what Redskins fans have “enjoyed” since Jim Zorn and friends were run out of town with the promise of better days ahead.

It was at this point that I became curious how the three-headed monster of “McGrossbeck” compares to the previous three starting quarterbacks in Washington — Jason Campbell, Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey.

All three were eventually run out of town, but I wondered if their statistics any better or worse than what passes for acceptable quarterback play under Mike and Kyle Shanahan? Here’s what I found out:

In 52 starts, an average box score for Campbell works out to 19 of 31 for 208 yards (61 percent) with one touchdown, one turnover and a 82.3 QB rating.

In 33 starts, an average box score for Brunell works out to 16 of 28 for 182 yards (57 percent) with one touchdown, one turnover and a 80.6 QB rating.

In 24 starts, an average box score for Ramsey works out to 20 of 35 for 235 yards (55 percent) with one touchdown, two turnovers and a 75.0 QB rating.

Once again, an average box score for “McGrossbeck” is 21 of 37 for 238 yards (57 percent) with one touchdown, two turnovers and a 72.4 QB rating.

Campbell posted the best completion percentage and highest quarterback rating of the bunch. Ramsey threw for the most yards, but also had the lowest completion percentage. Brunell once saved Joe Gibbs life, but his on-the-field production was pretty awful any way you try to spin it.

But what these numbers really say to me is that it’s been a long, long time since the Redskins enjoyed solid and consistent production from the quarterback position. Campbell’s stats aren’t terrible, but they’re not nearly good enough to say definitively that he’s a sure-fire franchise quarterback.

And without a franchise quarterback to build around, the Redskins have suffered. Quarterbacks, coaches and coordinators have come and gone over the last decade, but the results remain the same — with Washington going just 63-88 since 2002.*

*Of course, the previous nine seasons weren’t any better, but I really didn’t want to go back and crunch the numbers for every quarterback Steve Spurrier, Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner trotted out during their tenure. I’d rather watch a marathon of Sarah Jessica Parker movies than spend another minute on bums like Tony Banks, Gus Frerotte and Heath Shuler.

In related news, I’m convinced now more than ever that the Redskins should do anything and everything in their power to acquire Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck.

Scouts believe the 22-year-old’s skill set is the most NFL ready since Peyton Manning and/or John Elway, so just imagine what swapping out Beck or Grossman in favor of Luck would mean to the Redskins overnight.

Not only does Luck possess what many consider once-in-a-generation talent, but his arrival would improve the Redskins by simply subtracting those guys from the equation.

Even if he’s asked to play with the same exact supporting cast that got shut out 23-0 last weekend against the Buffalo Bills, Luck is skilled enough to move the offense past midfield and challenge a defense that gives up more than 24 points per game. Obviously, the same cannot be said about the current starter.

Click here for the full article.

All I got from this is the Redskins have not had a true QB for as long as I been a alive. (20 years) Man, I wish I was alive for the "Glory Days"

An argument could be made that Joe Theismann and Sonny Jurgensen are the only two franchise quarterbacks the Redskins have had in the last 40 years. One's career was cut short by a gruesome injury and half the fan base tried to run the other guy out of town in favor of his back-up. Like I said, if there's ever a franchise that deserves to win the lottery with one of these quarterbacks coming out in 2012, it's the Redskins.

The QB position has been a disaster since Gibbs 1.

Somehow, no matter who Joe Gibbs trotted out in the 1980s, they were all effective.

Since then we have had glimpses of good QB play in the last half of 1998 and in the early part of 1999. Thats pretty much it

I don't know what was worse, letting go Trent Green or Brad Johnson. Both went on to have a great amount of success since leaving here....I hope that our scouts are working overtime in making sure that our next franchise QB is "the One"...

An argument could be made that Joe Theismann and Sonny Jurgensen are the only two franchise quarterbacks the Redskins have had in the last 40 years. One's career was cut short by a gruesome injury and half the fan base tried to run the other guy out of town in favor of his back-up. Like I said, if there's ever a franchise that deserves to win the lottery with one of these quarterbacks coming out in 2012, it's the Redskins.

I only wish we had started Beck since week 1. We would be where the Colts and Dolphins are

November 14th would be the Luck bowl

Not ONCE have we been in the top 10 of offensive yards or scoring since the 1999 season. From 1983 til 1991, we were top 10 in scoring and yards 8 times and look at our success. The one year we were in the upper half of the league in scoring, we made the playoffs in 2005. A little offense goes a long way, can't win games playing 17-13 type games in this league

The lack of offensive production over the last decade is pretty telling. Luck=truth, once he hits the ground running, I'll be waiting for the 'We should've traded the farm for Luck' threads.

More realistic, and probably more beneficial for the overall health of the franchise going forward.

I can go with that. Yeah we couldn't get the Rams to give up on the idea of trading away their chance at a franchise QB, and Bradford was likely more expensive and less of a talent than Luck -- but somehow its realistic that a team will trade away the pick this time? I get its fun to hope but at best it seems to me a long shot and somewhat a waste of time to zero in too much of our energy on Luck as the solution. I get the point we really really really need a franchise QB. But talking about Luck as if hey if we want the guy, that's 90% of the battle, I don't see it.

Good comparison there, Homer; way to send everyone for their anti-depressants so early in the morning!

Overall numbers and decision-making in crucial times in a game is what separates these qbs from others.

Look at JC's; most of his numbers were junk yardage stats; not being able to keep drives alive, throwing ball 20 yds out of bounds, etc etc; his numbers should have an asterisk by them.

Brunnel had peaked already before coming here, and his legs were getting slower. He had the armstrength, but mobility was a big contributing factor to his career.

McNabb; yea, he threw alot of balls low, killing many many worms in the process, but when first informed of him coming here, you gotta admit, there was alot of hope riding on it, but system and qb let-downs led to his departure.

Yea, you're a "Luck" guy; but every time I hear his praises it reminds me of Ryan Leaf and his short and troubled tenure; whoever comes here, I hope it doesn't have a repeat performance...

So, the murf based on you're well researched analysis we don't draft or bring in very good QB's to play for us, Is that correct? Because that is what I got out of it or maybe, just maybe we haven't really had the team or right system to work during that time because of so much change in the coaching staff. It is a known fact that Campbell had 4 different OC's in his time her which has been said is the reason he played so badly. I tend to agree to a point. When Gibbs brought in Al Saunders to run the offense there wasn't that much difference in the offense even if Gibbs made some of the calls in the game. The both came from the same coaching tree under Don Coryell so they basically ran the same type of offense. But the point is that so many changes in the organization and the team that no QB was going to be successful here. So what makes anyone here, or you for that matter, thinks that Andrew Luck is going to be any more successful than any of the other QB's that have been here? Because the scouts say that? Which scouts? are they on the Redskins staff? If they are then why aren't they doing their job? I understand who the owner is, the GM and the coach but if they don't value your opinion then it is time to move on and find someone that does or it is time that Dan Snyder gets someone whose opinion he does value. And before you say it, I am not talking about Vinny Cerrato. That would be a mistake.

Course, Campbell could have been the guy, if it weren't for the fact that he had to learn 4 offensive systems under 3 head coaches in his 5 years here, work behind an OL that deteriorated every year he played here, and lacked playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. I dont' know any QB who could thrive under those conditions. Amazingly enough, tho, he managed to improve despite that.

Really, tho, I do get tired of the 'QB as savior' just as I tired of 'Head coach as savior' of the past. One coach or one player isn't going to pull the team's fat out of the fire. It is going to be a good coorinated effort from the coaching staff and the FO to stick to a consistant plan for more than two years in building a team. That's something we haven't seen since Norv was fired. It may or may not be a route to greatness, but you can't even consider that until you have the foundation.

I only wish we had started Beck since week 1. We would be where the Colts and Dolphins are

November 14th would be the Luck bowl

Haha I'm pretty much in the same boat at this point. Although losing out would've probably gotten Shanahan fired and messed up the continuity that this organization needs so badly. I just hope that if we don't make a move for Luck that we get the right guy whoever that may be.

One coach or one player isn't going to pull the team's fat out of the fire. It is going to be a good coorinated effort from the coaching staff and the FO to stick to a consistant plan for more than two years in building a team.

C'mon man, this is hogwash.

The only way we fix this thing is to fire Mike Shanahan and hire a coach that I like.

So, the murf based on you're well researched analysis we don't draft or bring in very good QB's to play for us, Is that correct? Because that is what I got out of it or maybe, just maybe we haven't really had the team or right system to work during that time because of so much change in the coaching staff. It is a known fact that Campbell had 4 different OC's in his time her which has been said is the reason he played so badly. I tend to agree to a point. When Gibbs brought in Al Saunders to run the offense there wasn't that much difference in the offense even if Gibbs made some of the calls in the game. The both came from the same coaching tree under Don Coryell so they basically ran the same type of offense. But the point is that so many changes in the organization and the team that no QB was going to be successful here. So what makes anyone here, or you for that matter, thinks that Andrew Luck is going to be any more successful than any of the other QB's that have been here? Because the scouts say that? Which scouts? are they on the Redskins staff? If they are then why aren't they doing their job? I understand who the owner is, the GM and the coach but if they don't value your opinion then it is time to move on and find someone that does or it is time that Dan Snyder gets someone whose opinion he does value. And before you say it, I am not talking about Vinny Cerrato. That would be a mistake.

The Redskins need consistency and continuity. In order to do that, they need stability at head coach and quarterback. Having the same offensive and defensive coordinators in place for more than a year or two at a time helps as well. Chris Cooley couldn't have been more right the other day when he said it cracks him up that the same fans who hate Daniel Snyder for being impatient or the same fans who want to fire coaches and trade away everyone. That's the fantasy-football mentality that too many sports fans get stuck on. Getting Andrew Luck (or any other quarterback from the 2012 draft, for that matter) is only the start. Giving him time to develop and learn the system (and not changing the system/coordinator every other year) will go a long way towards finally moving beyond 20 years of subpar performances from football's most vital position.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 10:29 AM ----------

I appreciate the analysis but I can't rationalize giving up 4 first round picks for one guy.

Like I said, I'd be okay with Landry Jones or Robert Griffin III as Plan B.

It's fun to keep talking about us acquiring Luck, but I am guessing its like about a 5% chance if that we can make it happen, if we are going Qb in the draft, IMO we should be talking some also about plan B which is more realistic, Barkley, Griffin, Landry?

5% is pretty optimistic. We are simply not going to be bad enough to get the #1. The team that does get the #1 pick most likely will be unwilling to trade out of the spot. We should focus on the other QB prospects in the draft rather that chase after something that has a very low probability of occuring.

The QB position has been a disaster since Gibbs 1.

Somehow, no matter who Joe Gibbs trotted out in the 1980s, they were all effective.

Since then we have had glimpses of good QB play in the last half of 1998 and in the early part of 1999. Thats pretty much it

The line I put in bold type should tell you something...

it wasn't just about the QB in the Gibbs era... and it hasn't been just about the QB since.

John Beck and Joe Theisman are close in athletic ability. Beck looks like the better passer of the two. But Theisman had lots of help.

Archived