Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Comparing stats of Beck/Grossman/McNabb to Campbell/Brunell/Ramsey

themurf

The line I put in bold type should tell you something...

it wasn't just about the QB in the Gibbs era... and it hasn't been just about the QB since.

Agreed

John Beck and Joe Theisman are close in athletic ability. Beck looks like the better passer of the two. But Theisman had lots of help.

It is funny that Murf talks about Theismann being a great QB, when really he was only great under Gibbs.

While Theismann was the last time the QB position was truely stable, the last great QB we had was Jurgenson. Since then, we have managed to win Super Bowls with less-than-great QBs.

It is funny that Murf talks about Theismann being a great QB, when really he was only great under Gibbs.

I said arguably, meaning a case could be made that he's been the closest thing the Redskins have had to a franchise quarterback other than Jurgensen in the last 40 years. I, personally, don't feel he was an elite quarterback, but I'm willing to admit that he's worth considering.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 11:00 AM ----------

Yeesh...those numbers are horrible. Only person who put up decent stats was JC. So Murf, if we don't get Luck, who else would you have in mind?

Landry Jones.

Theismann had moments of greatness before Gibbs, but he was horribly inconsistent. The combination of maturity, experience, and Gibbs direction transformed him into a league MVP. Probably the closest comparison to his pre-Gibbs days would be Eli.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 11:09 AM ----------

And for those of you dreaming of Luck, give it up already. Even if we didn't win another game this year we would still pick after Miami and Indy.

And for those of you dreaming of Luck, give it up already. Even if we didn't win another game this year we would still pick after Miami and Indy.

i find it really funny that its inconceivable for those teams to get some luck and win 3 and for us to completely fail down the stretch and lose out. hell for all we know the broncos could end up with the #1 pick.

luck is still in play for us, we'd just have to give up a lot to get him.

This is the sequence of QBs from 2009 until now

Jason Campbell 2009:

16 games 327/507 64.5% 31.7att/game 3618yards 7.1avg 226.1yards/game 20td 15int 86.4rating

Donovan McNabb 2010

13 games 275/472 58.3% 36.3att/game 3,377yards 7.2avg 259.8yards/game 14TD 15int 77.1 rating

Rex Grossman 2011

5 games 92/165 55.8% 27.5att/game 1,132yards 6.9avg 188.7yards/game 6td 9int 66.5rating

Nice to see an improving situation.

I said arguably, meaning a case could be made that he's been the closest thing the Redskins have had to a franchise quarterback other than Jurgensen in the last 40 years. I, personally, don't feel he was an elite quarterback, but I'm willing to admit that he's worth considering.
There are six reasons why you are willing to consider Theisman as an elite QB: Starke, Grimm, Bostic, May, Jacoby, Warren. If we had their likes now, you would be willing to consider Grossman and Beck elite.

Ramsey took a beating playing for us and I mean a beating...I think that any possible potential he had was literally knocked out of him. As I looked back over the years,...it really is unbelievable the number of QB's I have seen start..30 total in 44 years.....and not a lot of "go to guys on the list. Depressing

Rex Grossman

John Beck

Donovan McNabb

Jason Campbell

Todd Collins

Mark Brunell

Patrick Ramsey

Tim Hasselbeck

Shane Matthews

Danny Wuerffel

Tony Banks

Jeff George

Brad Johnson

Trent Green

Gus Frerotte

Jeff Hostetler

Heath Shuler

John Friesz

Mark Rypien

Rich Gannon

Cary Conklin

Stan Humphries

Jeff Rutledge

Doug Williams

Jay Schroeder

Ed Rubbert **strike year, won 2 big games

Joe Theismann

Mike Kruczek

Billy Kilmer

Sonny J

There are six reasons why you are willing to consider Theisman as an elite QB: Starke, Grimm, Bostic, May, Jacoby, Warren. If we had their likes now, you would be willing to consider Grossman and Beck elite.

Nonsense

Those 6 reasons are why some would consider Riggins "elite".

The first incarnation of The Hogs were not a top shelf pass protection offensive line. They got better as the years went on. They became elite when Jim Lachey became the left tackle. Your point would be more accurate with Rypien not Theismann.

You could say that Gibbs and his offensive philosophy made Theismann elite.

Theismann, once he mastered what Gibbs wanted to do, was an elite quarterback. Too bad it happened late in his career and things went south quickly and very badly in 1985 due to age prior to LT putting Joe out of his misery.

Also while the receiving corp under Gibbs got better (The Posse) and the pass protection of the oline got better, the production of the quarterback position never matched what Joe Theismann did from 82-84. Ryp had a Theismann like year in 91 and Jay had a strong year with some memorable comebacks in 86 but the suggestion that any QB succeeded under Gibbs is not accurate. Theismann was the only QB who achieved consistent elite status.

The Redskins have been searching for "the guy" since Theismann, thus by definition he in fact was our last franchise QB.

..The first incarnation of The Hogs were not a top shelf pass protection offensive line.
Lachey was better than Jacoby in pass pro, but not as good in run blocking. It was the run blocking that established the play action making it easier for the QB to succeed. The original Hogs were as good or better than the group that followed.
The Redskins have been searching for "the guy" since Theismann, thus by definition he in fact was our last franchise QB.
The term "franchise QB" is meaningless since everybody defines it differently. But the point you were supposed to be debating was not whether he was a franchise QB, but whether Theisman was arguably an elite QB.

Archived