Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley -"Redskins the Only Team I'll Care About the Rest of My Life"

Dan T.

I posted this in another thread, but I'd like to post it here, too:

I know the name hasn't been said yet, but...

We are not the Patriots.

We've done things wrong for a long time, I agree. But getting rid of Cooley because he's good with the media is just about the craziest opinion I've read on these forums. I respect that you are entitled to it, but I can't understand it. Professional sports aren't about being loyal nowadays, back in the 80's you saw a lot more loyalty. But Chris Cooley has said time and time again that he wants to play for no one else. He is a fan of this team, he loves our fans, he loves going to work. Trading him (we'd get very little for him at this point with the injury) or releasing him is a poor move. He can still play TE at the NFL level, and he played admirably at HBack this season. He's a capable TE as long as he's healthy, so he needs to be given that opportunity as a Washington Redskin. Sure, he'll probably be asked to take a paycut, and as someone who has spoken to Chris personally a couple times, he's the type of guy who would. He honestly loves this sport. And this team. And not only that, but he was a Denver Bronco fan growing up, which means Mike Shanahan is likely one of his heroes. He's played for Gibbs and now Shanahan. He'd probably run through walls for either of them.

The torch may have been passed to Fred Davis as far as our top TE target goes, and that's life. Cooley had an outstanding run at that spot, and as a second TE/first HBack, he could still produce and put up solid numbers for a Redskin team that doesn't have a lot of familiar faces. He's not a cancer, he's quite the opposite. He's someone that is still capable of being a player in this league.

A value on his presence cannot be placed on him. He's simply invaluable. He has a connection with the fan base, the players, the surrounding area. Chris Cooley is a Washington Redskin. You can't say that about a lot of other guys.

It's time the Redskins do something right, and as long as he can play at a NFL level and produce for this football team, they need to keep him around... And indications from Kyle Shanahan here in this article give me some relief that they will. And if it turns out his injury is worse than believed, I truly believe Chris will do the unfortunate right thing and call it quits.

But that decision needs to be on Cooley and the people he trusts (including the coaching staff). Not because any minority of the fan base believes it to be so.

In a world of backstabbing and cutthroat business tactics, it's about damn time we showed this guy exactly how much he means to us. And that doesn't involve throwing him onto the curb.

Should we keep him, I'll be finally proud to say this phrase: "We are not the New England Patriots"

Knee injuries just don't go away. .

Eh, Running Backs are coming back from torn ACL/MCLs. NBA players are coming back and playing well from the type of surgery Cooley is able to avoid. You're right tho, they don't "go away" you have to heal/rehab them, but, there is no reason why he shouldn't be every bit as good as he was. Just needs to redo his contract...

I hope he stays, but I understand the business that is the NFL. I just want to stop being a doormat one of these years... that's what doesn't appear to be "going away". =p

I think Cooley has it in him to come back and be very productive. I don't think the knee issue is as big a deal for him as it would be for other skill positions considering it wasn't his speed that made him great, it was his precise route running. That doesn't go away.

Cooley is the type of guy I hope stays on the Redskins. I think the Redskins may part ways with Cooley next year due to business reasons.

Cooley is a clutch player though, there isn't a stat for that but I really hope to see him holding a superbowl trophy in burgandy and gold. Hopefully we can be a contender in the 2013 season under the current coaches.

Cooley should take a pay cut for a longer term deal and focus heavily on his health. There's pretty exciting new medicine out there, some of which he's used and has worked for him. He just didn't give it time to heal at all before ripping on it again. Say he takes something like a 5-year, 7million dollar deal. Next step, coaching and franchise work, home game commentating. Use his talents. Forget the "media" or his "antics," the guy is a great communicator and is intelligent. Guys that like that make good coaches and representatives. They're marketable and build good culture. I want this guy to be a redskins in some way shape or form for the rest of his life, too.

People want selfless, team-first, lunchpale players who love to come to work everyday and bust their asses.

Some of those same people want to ship that player out, because said player has a "persona", and has been deemed "expendable." The subsequent respone? " Thanks for all the hard work, now GTFO of here."

He'll take a paycut, and most likely a backup role, and after surgery/rehab, he will come back and be productive for us.

Some people just want loyalty so long as it's at their own conveience. I will never forget the things he's done for us as a player, and as a person in the community. Never.

I agree with you on everything except this. Knee injuries just don't go away. I want CC47 to be back as good as new, but he seems to have caught the injury bug, and it doesn't appear that he's getting over it any time soon.

I think that with the stem cell recovery process these guys are going through and some of the new stregth training techniques they are using, the knee will be fine in the end and he will back to himself in the long run. He now has 9 months to get strong again. Not much you can do about broken hands, just bad luck that this happened to both Cooley and Moss.

Great posts KDawg and Mr. Sinister, among others.

This franchise has been burned more than any other over the past decade by overpaying players from other teams as mercenaries who ultimately fail to deliver on their potential or perform at their previous level. Players who didn't give a **** about the franchise or its fans (Haynesworth; Lloyd; etc.). Cooley is the antithesis of this archetype.

This is a guy who had 77 receptions and 849 yards last year, and he's not even 30! Sure he has a knee injury; some act like no one ever comes back from such an injury. A knee injury, in 2011! Oh noes. Wes Welker has never been better, or physically more explosive, than he is now, at 30 years old and a year and a half removed from a torn ACL. Which is a far more serious injury than Cooley's.

So what, Cooley will take a paycut. As a backup tight end, you're not going to find a better one in the league. And assuming he can come back to even 2010 form, he could still start for easily 1/3 of the teams in the league. It's not like he was a physical specimen who relied on his superior athletic gifts to make it in the NFL -- his intelligence, route running, knack for finding soft spots in the zone, toughness, consistency and soft hands got him the all-time Redskins tight end record. He's a player who could be extremely effective well into his 30s.

And given that we're going to almost certainly add a rookie quarterback, giving him another veteran, reliable target over the middle of the field will be invaluable.

It's rather quite simple: we lose Cooley and we have a void to fill on the team, the likes of which Logan Paulsen simply isn't up to (does anyone really think Paulsen, a player with 4 career receptions, is more valuable than the all-time Redskins tight end record holder?). Cooley is a positive influence in every conceivable way, and he has 8-9 months to fully heal under the guidance of Redskins trainers.

Hell, with our fanbase, it wouldn't surprise me to see Orakpo being talked about as trade bait in the event that he has a down season with only 6 sicks

I'd love to see Cooley back and healthy on this team. He is only 29, he could have 4 more years in him. I'm just not sure it will happen.

I'm afraid that rest isnt going to help that much and he'll have to resort to microfracture surgery anyways. I hope not, but I think its heading that way.

To me, Chris Cooley is a Darrell Green/Art Monk-type of Redskin. I mean that as far as his effort, his play and his want to be in D.C. He's set TE team records, worked his tail off and been one of the few bright spots for us as fans since he was drafted.

Love him or hate him, his loyalty and pride in being a Redskin cannot be denied. Some people have been calling for him to be traded for years and for reasons I couldn't disagree with more. Productivity is, of course, the bottom line in pro football. But not enough weight is given to players who truly love the team they play for.

CC47 may not be a Hall of Famer, but he is easily a Ring of Famer, and until he really is unable to contribute on the team in any way, that is good enough for me. I honestly hope he retires a Redskin as he's said he wants to do. My only wish is that it doesn't happen for another 4+ years.

This is the part of the lockout we don't see...players who need to heal that aren't able to work with the trainers/therapists. If we lose Cooley, remember this lockout.

---------- Post added October-29th-2011 at 08:17 PM ----------

:doh:

Its time to let Cooley walk. All the talk of the 2 TE set-up is just all talk. We haven't seen it in the 3 years since Davis was here. Paulsen does a great job as a 2nd TE. Use that Cooley cash to grab a center and a real WR

And they say our franchise lacks loyalty...:doh:

I don't see why people are saying he lost a step and all this crap... he's hurt. He caught 77 balls last year 2nd to Jason Witten. Cooley should be here next year, trading him would be stupid and useless cause you're not going to get what he's worth. I'd bet anybody right now he tears it up next year

art monk played for other teams at the end of his career too. parts of the biz. we should of traded cooley when we had a chance.

not unhappy he's still here. just saying

...after 13 years in the league, cooley hasn't even reached double digits yet.

We should keep cooley... no sense in giving up on him despite the success of fred davis. we won't get much for him, and given he gets healthy next year we can get some really good production out of him not just as a pass catcher

Archived