Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley -"Redskins the Only Team I'll Care About the Rest of My Life"

Dan T.

Watch an introspective Chris Cooley on why he plays the game, and pay close attention to the second part of the clip. It gets to the heart of why there's a mutual love affair between Chris Cooley and DC Redskins fans.

http://www.csnwashington.com/sportsnetWashington/search/v/47636145/cooley-on-the-redskins-the-only-team-i-ll-care-about-for-the-rest-of-my-life-10-27.htm?

The loyalty is a rarity and a throwback to a different era. I understood the argument from last year and the year before that trading Cooley for a pick was the right GM move, and I understand the concern of bean counters that keeping him next year raises cap issues.

Some players transcend those issues. Darrell Green was one. I hope that Cooley, like Darrell Green before him, can finish out his career as a Washington Redskin.

Cooley will be back better than ever next season.

I agree with you on everything except this. Knee injuries just don't go away. I want CC47 to be back as good as new, but he seems to have caught the injury bug, and it doesn't appear that he's getting over it any time soon.

I love and appreciate Cooley's attitude. The lack of this type of team spirit and loyalty is what has made me dislike much of what has happened to the NFL in the last 20 years. I wish more of the league's players spoke this way about their teams.

Absolutely!!!! I appreciate it as well, and look forward to watching Cooley root for the skins on the side lines with the rest of us fans when he is older......

Cooley's future won't affect Cooley's past. No matter what happens, or what uniform Cooley wears in 2012, nothing will change what he's done for the franchise or the fact that he's the best tight end in team history.

That said, Cooley's past shouldn't have any affect on his future. His future with the team should be dictated by his future value, not his past accomplishments. That may sound callous, but no player is more important than the team. The front office needs to do what is best for the team, and if that means trading or releasing Cooley, so be it.

Cooley's future won't affect Cooley's past. No matter what happens, or what uniform Cooley wears in 2012, nothing will change what he's done for the franchise or the fact that he's the best tight end in team history.

That said, Cooley's past shouldn't have any affect on his future. His future with the team should be dictated by his future value, not his past accomplishments. That may sound callous, but no player is more important than the team. The front office needs to do what is best for the team, and if that means trading or releasing Cooley, so be it.

I agree 100% with this post. At the end of the day it's a business, and although I would absolutely love to see Cooley retire a Skin, it just may not happen that way. It's about putting the best product out on the field.

Nothing wrong with pulling hard for the circumstance that allows him to stay a Redskin though! :wish:

Point is Cooley healthy is borderline probowl TE, hell probably probowl TE every year if he had a good QB. Him and Davis is just a sick combo when both are healty

^^^^ This

Cooley, when healthy, is indeed a probowl caliber player. Why waste more money(if Cooley will restructure) or another draft pick when we already have a helluva homegrown TE right here. I can honestly see Cooley retiring here. Get healthy and prove you still got it Chris. Hail.

As stated, the business end of football may have a different end to the story, but I sure hope Chris is back next year. It is very refreshing to hear an athlete be sincere in wanting to stay with the organization. Chris is one of us....he gets it...HAIL TO THE REDSKINS.:logo:

At first glance i was like trade or write him off...after that statement of his...I really have enjoyed watching him through the years. Its not often a player stays with a team his entire career. He's one i wouldn't mind seeing that as long as he is realistic about payscale vs ability as he ages. Hail Cooley!!

I agree with you on everything except this. Knee injuries just don't go away. I want CC47 to be back as good as new, but he seems to have caught the injury bug, and it doesn't appear that he's getting over it any time soon.

The broken finger is a blessing in disguise for Cooley. Now he's not draining his knee every 3 days to stay on the field and painfully grinding it through practices and games. The finger forced him to shut it down, with a solid 8 months of rest and rehabilitation to get ready for June OTAs. At that point he, and the team, will be able to honestly assess how much more tread is left on the tires.

Cue all the ungrateful types who would rather have a 6th round pick than our greatest TE and fellow hard-core fan, Chris Cooley.

Because you know, he's a "media whore," (translation = he has a personality, and is willing to actually act like a human being during interviews, instead of a politically correct droid).

Bless you Chris, get well and be ready to ball next year.

The broken finger is a blessing in disguise for Cooley. Now he's not draining his knee every 3 days to stay on the field and painfully grinding it through practices and games. The finger forced him to shut it down, with a solid 8 months of rest and rehabilitation to get ready for June OTAs. At that point he, and the team, will be able to honestly assess how much more tread is left on the tires.

That's what I was thinking. I hope to God we're right. I'd love to see both Cooley and Davis out there next season. I miss yelling Coooooooooley!!

Get well Chris!! HAIL! :point2sky

I'm afraid this may be the the harsh reality of the situation.

Yeah, lets hope his attitude has definitely worn off on the youngsters. I appreciated Cooley for everything he did, but I think he has played his last game as a Redskins. Mike Shannahan is not going to care about Chris' love for the Redskins, or how the fans love Cooley. This is a business, Mike knows its a business, and he is here to make changes in the best interest of the Washington Redskins. Cooley will be a Redskins favorite for many years.

I think the Redskins aren't a good enough team to get rid of Cooley.

"If" Cooley comes back in playable form he'll be able to contribute. Remember, his game isn't speed. Cooley is a smart player that can block & catch the ball. The Skins should bring him back for a 1 or 2 year deal to see what Cooley has left in the tank. If he doesn't pan out ... you get rid of him after a few years. But we owe him a chance to prove himself.

Another part of me says the reason why we Skins fans love Cooley's play is because he benefited from crappy QBs that can't stretch the field and he always bail them out (Ramsey,Brunell, Campbell, McNabb &Grossman).

Archived