Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kyle Shanahan: Offensive Juggernaut

tiger187126

i agree that hes not a good playcaller (atleast with the QB and wide recievers we have and lack of a good o-line) but even if he is a bad playcaller, to me i think its a good idea to pass when we need 2 quick scores. no matter how bad we are.

I feel you need two quick scores when there's seven minutes left(give or take it's not an exact science) not when there's 22-25 minutes

I feel you need two quick scores when there's seven minutes left(give or take it's not an exact science) not when there's 22-25 minutes

you are correct.

and an OC worth anything doesnt call 2 running plays to 17 pass plays with a lead against your arch rival on the road after you've just started to be able to run it.

awful play calling. if he gets questioned cuz of it, well, excuse me.

personell

Pretty darn much.

I still have a lot of issues with the OC, but when you've next to nothing to work with to start with, and you then lose your best running and receiving threat, chances are your gona' do jack what ever you try.

Hail.

*Edit* Apologies to the OP for being serious for a moment and going against the spirit of the thread.

you are correct.

and an OC worth anything doesnt call 2 running plays to 17 pass plays with a lead against your arch rival on the road after you've just started to be able to run it.

awful play calling. if he gets questioned cuz of it, well, excuse me.

Carolina clamped down on the run from the beginning of the second quarter onward. Our last 11 running plays netted us a grand total of about 25 yards and also ended in a season ending injury for our primary back. At that point we also had a dire need to conserve time and John Beck was picking the defense apart through the air with ease... only to be let down by his receivers time after time. It was pretty much a textbook damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

It's fine if you think we should have run more and are concerned about the playcalling but you really do need to acknowledge that there was a rational basis behind it. If, however, you insist on being genuinely upset about the playcalling to the point where you blame the loss on it you need to get your head checked.

gentlemen, I proudly present the Houston Texans.....Kyle left and offensive production went up, and with Peyton Manning out of the way, likely the winner of the AFC South, which Kyle can tune into and watch on a chilly January morning while sitting at home, after tanking our season. THanks! Kyle Shanahan!

If he's such a great play caller why are we down two scores in the second half?
i agree that hes not a good playcaller (atleast with the QB and wide recievers we have and lack of a good o-line) but even if he is a bad playcaller, to me i think its a good idea to pass when we need 2 quick scores. no matter how bad we are.

I'm trying to figure out if you're actually the same person under 2 different account names, quoting yourself to try to make a point ? :D

Because its actually pretty funny to see how you to go back and forth.

My question would be, what does KS have to do with us being down by 2 scores? Does he call the defense also? If we're down by 2 scores that obviously means that our opponent has been able to score on our defense on over half their possesions (being you normally only see about 3 or 4 possessions per half). Why do we want to go to a passing game, whereby if we are fortunate enough to score, we give the ball back to our opponent who, as we proved from looking at the first half, has a 50/50 shot of scoring against us anyway. (I know, I like John Beck too, but its not like we're the 99' rams).

Should we get into a shootout? I don't think thats going to work out well for us (see comment above re: 99' and rams). You continue to run your gameplan, trying to catch them off balance, and take advantage of matchups when you can, in an attempt to control the game and hopefully put yourself in a position to win the game when time is expiring. That's how this team wins games, and why I have heart attacks every week.

EDIT: BTW I almost forgot, great thread tiger! :applause:

I'm trying to figure out if you're actually the same person under 2 different account names, quoting yourself to try to make a point ? :D

Because its actually pretty funny to see how you to go back and forth.

My question would be, what does KS have to do with us being down by 2 scores? Does he call the defense also? If we're down by 2 scores that obviously means that our opponent has been able to score on our defense on over half their possesions (being you normally only see about 3 or 4 possessions per half). Why do we want to go to a passing game, whereby if we are fortunate enough to score, we give the ball back to our opponent who, as we proved from looking at the first half, has a 50/50 shot of scoring against us anyway. (I know, I like John Beck too, but its not like we're the 99' rams).

Should we get into a shootout? I don't think thats going to work out well for us (see comment above re: 99' and rams). You continue to run your gameplan, trying to catch them off balance, and take advantage of matchups when you can, in an attempt to control the game and hopefully put yourself in a position to win the game when time is expiring. That's how this team wins games, and why I have heart attacks every week.

EDIT: BTW I almost forgot, great thread tiger! :applause:

If you're scoring then the drives should be distributed evenly enough you're not getting down by multiple scores. A good play caller calls plays for the personel he has, not the one he wants. So he should be able to find ways to get our current offense to score.

Carolina clamped down on the run from the beginning of the second quarter onward. Our last 11 running plays netted us a grand total of about 25 yards and also ended in a season ending injury for our primary back. At that point we also had a dire need to conserve time and John Beck was picking the defense apart through the air with ease... only to be let down by his receivers time after time. It was pretty much a textbook damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

It's fine if you think we should have run more and are concerned about the playcalling but you really do need to acknowledge that there was a rational basis behind it. If, however, you insist on being genuinely upset about the playcalling to the point where you blame the loss on it you need to get your head checked.

i was talking about the dallas game.

gentlemen, I proudly present the Houston Texans.....Kyle left and offensive production went up, and with Peyton Manning out of the way, likely the winner of the AFC South, which Kyle can tune into and watch on a chilly January morning while sitting at home, after tanking our season. THanks! Kyle Shanahan!

Wow!! It seems too me when Kyle left Houston, they were 4th in offense and Schaub was #1 passing. So, I guess you have no idea what you are talking about?

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 08:13 AM ----------

If you're scoring then the drives should be distributed evenly enough you're not getting down by multiple scores. A good play caller calls plays for the personel he has, not the one he wants. So he should be able to find ways to get our current offense to score.

So, the players have to execute the plays. Execution hasn't been there the last 2 games.

Geez! Get a load of the road hogs with pom-poms in the 2nd pic; talk about "thick"! Looks like she would stab you if you looked at her the wrong way.

I hope it's just the camera angle. The State trooper on the far right looks like a utility shed, and the guy between the cheerleaders looks to tip the scales at 420.

BTW, nice work tiger. I'll eagerly await your explanations for the asterisks.

Out starting LT and LG are out, our #1 WR is out, one of our starting TE's is out and our starting RB is out. Even taking away the QB position any team or OC in the leauge is going to have issues given that set of circumstances. Then you add in the QB situation - which to be fair is partly of our own making since we passed over taking a QB high in the draft - and the production we are getting is better than you might expect.

I hope it's just the camera angle. The State trooper on the far right looks like a utility shed, and the guy between the cheerleaders looks to tip the scales at 420.

BTW, nice work tiger. I'll eagerly await your explanations for the asterisks.

Remind me not to go camera shopping in Tampa ! And to think it was due to all of the draft busts eaten up down there.

If it is camera angle, then point the camera at Kyle; lets see if he turns out looking like Norv Turner.

So, IF LUCK has it and Luck lands in our laps [ too many "L's and too early] and he plays great, Kyle gets the credit? But if he stinks up the joint, then its Luck's luck [ again ] and Kyle STILL skates. Kyle's gonna need a new name, "Hock"...

since you obviously didn't read the thread in which i point out a link to my previous post in another thread about how much "better" Houston really was without kyle calling plays. i guess you missed the one where Kubiak was dead last in redzone efficency for 2008 until he gave Kyle the playcalling for the last game and went 4 for 4 with 3 touchdowns and a field goal. here's the info for 2010 though:

now here's a little wrinkle when people say kyle did nothing because the numbers stayed the same without him:

Overall Arian Foster played 6 games, starting in only 1, during the 2009 season finishing with 257 yards and 3 touchdowns.

kyle's last year arian foster only had 1 start and the offense ranked 10th in PPG and 4th in YPG.

so kyle left and arian foster became the starter. i don't know if you've heard of him, but his first game he broke multiple franchise records, rushing 33 times for 231 yards and 3 touchdowns. at the end of the year:

Foster finished the 2010 season by winning the rushing title with 1,616 Rushing yards and 604 receiving yards breaking the record set by Priest Holmes for most yards from scrimmage ever by an undrafted player. He was invited to the 2011 Pro Bowl, which was his first Pro Bowl.

so houston finished 9th in PPG and 3rd in YPG. pretty similair to the numbers from last year right?

so it's spun that kyle didn't do **** and got the job because of his daddy, well if you look at just that it says that kyle had the offense at the same level without arian foster as it performed after he left and arian foster started.

to give you even more perspective kyle had 92.2 YPG out of his running backs which consisted of mostly Ryan Moats and Steve Slaton, i'm sure i don't need to tell you the talent disparity between these two and Foster. houston ranked 30th in the league in YPG.

so with the weak rushing attack, the offense couldn't have survived right? we're told all the time that you can't have a one dimensional team because teams will just line up to take away your strength.

well here's what schaub did with kyle as OC and no rushing game:

During the 2009 NFL season, Schaub led the Texans to a 9-7 record, the first winning record in team history. He led the league in passing yards (4,770), completions (396), yards per game (298) and passing attempts (583), while finishing fifth in touchdowns (29), compiling a quarterback rating of 98.6. He was selected to his first Pro Bowl as an injury replacement to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, winning MVP honors.[6]

so even though those numbers look the same, they're not.

and just for kicks:

2009 with Kyle:

9 300 yard games,

8 Games with a Passer rating >100,

9 Games with a completion rate of at least 70%

10 Games with Multiple Touchdown passes

9-7

2010 without Kyle:

7 300 yard games

5 games with a passer rating >100

5 games with a completion rate of at least 70%

8 games with multiple touchdowns

6-10

so please read before commenting.

I love this post because I'm sure every fan and defensive coordinator Ingrid nfl fea rs Kyle shanahan the offensive juggernaut.

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 01:33 PM ----------

Moreover do the texans have a better shot or the redskins at the playoffs? I pray to god I'm wrong and the redskins get deep into January, but alas this fantasy is about to meet reality. Our schedule is brutal and Shanahan's offense while better than zorn's sucks. I could care less about stats this ain't fantasy football and if Beck is your fantasy QB then god help you.

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 02:26 PM ----------

Wow!! It seems too me when Kyle left Houston, they were 4th in offense and Schaub was #1 passing. So, I guess you have no idea what you are talking about? - Maskedsuperstar

This comment to my post got under my skin a bit, so I went and looked up the stats at NFL.com and found that the Texans were 4th in total offense in 2009 and 3rd in 2010. Passing yardage slipped....but I guess that could happen when Arian Foster has a breakout season. Maskedsuperstar prior to casting stones make sure you know what your talking about.

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 02:28 PM ----------

This comment to my post got under my skin a bit, so I went and looked up the stats at NFL.com and found that the Texans were 4th in total offense in 2009 and 3rd in 2010. Passing yardage slipped....but I guess that could happen when Arian Foster has a breakout season. Maskedsuperstar prior to casting stones make sure you know what your talking about.

I love this post because I'm sure every fan and defensive coordinator Ingrid nfl fea rs Kyle shanahan the offensive juggernaut.

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 01:33 PM ----------

Moreover do the texans have a better shot or the redskins at the playoffs? I pray to god I'm wrong and the redskins get deep into January, but alas this fantasy is about to meet reality. Our schedule is brutal and Shanahan's offense while better than zorn's sucks. I could care less about stats this ain't fantasy football and if Beck is your fantasy QB then god help you.

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 02:26 PM ----------

Wow!! It seems too me when Kyle left Houston, they were 4th in offense and Schaub was #1 passing. So, I guess you have no idea what you are talking about? - Maskedsuperstar

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 02:28 PM ----------

no need to repost over and over at maskedsuperstar, feel free to check my post for the answers you're looking for.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?357304-Kyle-Shanahan-Offensive-Juggernaut&p=8646958&viewfull=1#post8646958

Archived