Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: John Beck is the people's champ ... for now

themurf

6251817299_c2c60f8d69.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

As the Washington Redskins took to the field in the fourth quarter with a lineup that included John Beck at quarterback, Sean Locklear at tackle and someone named Erik Cook at center, I leaned over to the person next to me on the sideline and asked “Which preseason game is this again?”

It was that kind of day for Redskins fans as starting quarterback Rex Grossman found himself in the role of Donovan McNabb after being benched for ineffectiveness, with the added bonus of the offensive line being in shambles after guard Kory Lichtensteiger and tackle Trent Williams were knocked out of the game due to injuries.

With two weeks to prepare for the 1-4 Philadelphia Eagles, Grossman completed five passes to tight end Fred Davis, four passes to the rest of Washington’s pass catchers and four passes to Philadelphia defenders in three quarters of action. It’s safe to say that those aren’t the type of numbers that help win over a notoriously fickle fanbase.

Finally, his coaching staff had seen enough and mercifully sat The Rex Cannon down before he could do any more damage.

And that’s the backdrop for what could be the beginning of the John Beck Era in our nation’s capital. Make no mistake about it — Beck didn’t do anything to win the job (other than stand next to Mike and Kyle Shanahan on the sidelines while the only other quarterback on the roster went down in flames). He simply represented “not Rex” on a day when Grossman wore out his welcome.

That being said, I genuinely hope that Beck maximizes his 15 minutes of fame. Because as far as I’m concerned, he’ll never be more popular than he is right now.

For starters, he’s the backup quarterback in a town that has gushed over the position since Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer competed for the starting role nearly 40 years ago. He’s not a grizzled veteran. He’s not an upstart rookie. He’s just your typical run-of-the-mill inexperienced 30-year-old who might just luck his way into a starting gig by default.

And as insane as it sounds, that’s not cause for concern for Redskins fans — judging by the sound of the ovation Beck received when he took to the field Sunday.

You see, even though he couldn’t cut it with two other NFL franchises, Beck still represents the great unknown to many ‘Skins fans.

Sure, rational fans see Beck, who hasn’t started a game since 2007, as the guy who came to town in a trade for Washington’s seventh-best cornerback* and realize that utter failure is far more likely than the “made for TV movie” delusional fans are trying to talk themselves into.

But then again, D.C. has never really been known for common sense and rational thinking. So why spoil this moment for those who choose to be cautiously optimistic?

*Shout-out to Doug Dutch.

I have said repeatedly that I’ve never seen anything from Beck since he joined the team that led me to believe he’s the long-term solution for the franchise’s quarterback woes.

Watching Beck short-armed passes to his receivers’ feet against Philadelphia like he was the second coming of … well … let’s not go there.

Instead, let’s just be happy that no one has ever openly questioned Beck’s conditioning and/or football IQ, he’s willing to wear an armband and move on.

My point is, I’m not a Beck guy. Never have been; probably never will be. But even I think it’s time to see what he’s got.

The five-year pro wasn’t spectacular against Philadelphia by any means, but he was better than Rex against the Eagles – completing eight of 15 passes for 117 yards in one quarter of action. Best of all, he showed the offense that it’s okay for someone other than the kicker to put points on the board.

That alone should earn him a second chance to make a first impression in Washington.

Click here for the full article.

I thought Beck looked completely awful at his first few snaps as starting quarterback yesterday before settling in to looking okay. He had a couple of nice passes out there once he settled down and he definitely looked better than Grossman yesterday.

That being said, I'm with you. Eventually, he's going to implode and look terrible out there. Once teams have a chance to figure him out and once he really gets pressured, I don't think he's going to fare very well. He's a 30 year old who has never been a starter. Optimistic Redskins fans can convince themselves that he's some diamond in the rough that's just been waiting to be discovered by the right coach, but I think over the next few weeks we are going to see why this guy has been on the bench this whole time.

but I think over the next few weeks we are going to see why this guy has been on the bench this whole time.

Well you have to make a decision.

Will the Redskins do anything with Rex under center? If so, you play him.

Do the Redskins think there is any future to Beck being under center in out years? If so, you play him.

We need to know if either one of these guys will be our starter next year. If the answer is NO, then does it really matter who you play?

I'm thinking that most fans like myself are just hoping that Beck (if he starts) is good enough to over come our banged up OL with his athleticism, keep our defense off of the field for more than 3 seconds and to actually lead our WR's with his passes instead of having them have to wait on them.

Murf has done everything he can to qualify his endorsement. But based on what we know about Beck as well as what we've seen, what else can you do? One thing is certain - 4 picks sucks balls and when you consider that Rex has been getting progressively worse, you kind of have to make the change.

Then there is the banged up line and the fact that Beck's feet can get him out of trouble.

I agree with Murf. Give the kid a chance. Besides, if he sucks there is still Rexy...

I agree with Homer. Can't get too excited about Beck, but it's gotta be better than what Grossman's been showing.

I'll have to watch the game again, but it seemed that although Beck couldn't reach his receivers (hopefully just a little nerves and rust), it also seemed like he was throwing to the right guy most of the time - at least "right" as far as not having white jerseys all around them when the ball arrived. In other words, his decision making seemed more sound. I'm sure we'll find out how true that is next week. I can't see the Shanahans putting Grossman out there again.

Well you have to make a decision.

Will the Redskins do anything with Rex under center? If so, you play him.

Do the Redskins think there is any future to Beck being under center in out years? If so, you play him.

We need to know if either one of these guys will be our starter next year. If the answer is NO, then does it really matter who you play?

My hunch is that Shanahan might do with the quarterbacks what he's been doing with running backs - start whoever's hot. I think Beck will be the starter next week, but I don't think that means he gets the job the rest of the year. We could see a situation where the two QBs are rotated based on the previous game and how they looked in practice.

But I don't think either guy will be the starter next year. At least - I really hope not. The Redskins need to get a real QB in the offseason, regardless of what happens from here on out this season.

My hunch is that Shanahan might do with the quarterbacks what he's been doing with running backs - start whoever's hot. I think Beck will be the starter next week, but I don't think that means he gets the job the rest of the year. We could see a situation where the two QBs are rotated based on the previous game and how they looked in practice.

But I don't think either guy will be the starter next year. At least - I really hope not. The Redskins need to get a real QB in the offseason, regardless of what happens from here on out this season.

I agree with you. I think Shanny starts whoever is hot, and next year we have a new starting QB.

I think there is too much attention to QB, and not overall team play. If you look at the Super Bowls for the last decade, there is less than can be counted on one hand on MIGHT make the HOF.

At the end of the day, if you don't have Manning, Brady, or Roethlisberger, well you are on the outside looking in. Heck, the Vikings with the best running back in the game and great receivers needed a QB that was in the league for 2 decades to get them close.

Focus needs to be on total team, not just a QB. I can list all of the 1st round QB fails in the last decade who never sniffed a super bowl, as can you.

The obvious thing for super bowl teams is defense, receivers, and running game.

Manning has won 1 super bowl. Brady 3. Everyone else is a nice story.

I trust John Beck far more than Grossman. He deserves his chance to play and be a starting QB for the Washington Redskins. Grossman won the starting job after preseason, but he's regressed in his level of play from three games back. Had Shanahan pulled Grossman at halftime, the Redskins would have probably mounted a comeback with Beck at the helm.

Optimistic Redskins fans can convince themselves that he's some diamond in the rough that's just been waiting to be discovered by the right coach, but I think over the next few weeks we are going to see why this guy has been on the bench this whole time.

How many coaches did Alex Smith look like complete garbage for?

I'm watching the 49ers game right now. He doesn't look bad anymore.

We already knew that Grossman wasn't an above average QB.

What the OP fails to realize is this.If Beck Fails thats all good.Why is that a good thing you say? Maybe now we will atleast go into next season knowing who,and what J.Beck is.IMO That's a lot Better than Watching a 9 year vet implode. People are such Hypocrites! When RG plays horrible you will hear fans say "we all know WHO Rex is " to me this is the most ridiculous statement.So basically you are saying we know that RG is going to implode,but yet we are such naive fans that still we just want to waste a whole year on Rex. Beck represents the unknown.JB is more mobile,has the stronger arm, and based off what we know of him at the moment, he seems to make the better decisions at QB.We all know that Beck was a Good college QB. This gives fans even more optimism. If J.Beck works out how great of a steal would that be for the Skins? If he doesn't workout what did we really lose out on? Rex not playing longer in this season lol?

I'll use this analogy.

It's just like the lotto. I have two different lotto tickets for sale.One ticket is from last weeks lotto(RG) a ticket that you already know that there is no chance at winning at all because of the out of date ticket.The second ticket (JB) is just a regular ticket there is a very high chance that you might lose with this ticket,but there is still a slight possibility that you can still Win Very Big playing this ticket as well. Which ticket are you going to wanna purchase?

We know what that Rex guy can do, lets see what this Beck guy can do.

That's what I want. If neither is worthy of a starting position, then why keep them next season as a backup? We're obviously going to make a play for a starting QB in the off-season, either in the draft or FA. We might as well see what we have in Beck. We already know Grossman is garbage. Beck did look kinda out-of-shape and his confidence was lacking when he came in...so, I'm not expecting much out of him for at least a couple of weeks. I'm sure Beck will mostly take the game manager role when he does start..

I'll use this analogy.

It's just like the lotto. I have two different lotto tickets for sale.One ticket is from last weeks lotto(RG) a ticket that you already know that there is no chance at winning at all because of the out of date ticket.The second ticket (JB) is just a regular ticket there is a very high chance that you might lose with this ticket,but there is still a slight possibility that you can still Win Very Big playing this ticket as well. Which ticket are you going to wanna purchase?

Nice analogy for the situation.

Who knows, maybe Beck does come in and stink up the place really bad. After all thats what everyone expects isnt it? Wasnt that what everyone expected when Trent Green first took the field several years ago? Lets just give the guy a chance before we burry him...

i

I think there is too much attention to QB, and not overall team play. If you look at the Super Bowls for the last decade, there is less than can be counted on one hand on MIGHT make the HOF.

Manning has won 1 super bowl. Brady 3. Everyone else is a nice story.

In the last 10 Super Bowls only 7 different QBs have won it. So of course only 5 MIGHT be considered HOFers. But it is obvious that more teams with great QB play have won than teams who just have "overall great play". Brady has 3, Manning has 1 and Roethlesburger has 2. Thats 6 there. Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Eli and Brad Johnson account for the others. So pretty much every team to win a SB in the last decade has had a great QB. Even Johnson played a big role in Tampa's SB win. Great QB play makes the rest of the players on offense look better than they actually are (see Indy).

The 10 Super Bowls before the last 10 were won by Mark Rypien, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, John Elway, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner and Trent Dilfer. Dilfer won a Super Bowl because of one of the best statistical defenses ever. Aside from that the rest of teams had GREAT QB play (yes, including Rypien in 91). We need our franchise QB.

+1

Concur w/ the apt analogy. Rex is Rex, we all know that, as do Bears fans. Do we really know John Beck? Not really.

We made huge strides on the defensive side of the ball during the off-season and this year's free-agent market wasn't great for QB's. Nor was the draft outside of Newton. Play Beck, see what he has. Best case: He shows that he can move the offense and score some points. Worst case: He sux and we go back to RG. At least we will know what we have. Plus, if he is lousy, this off-season we can go after a real Quarterback (hopefully) vice some re-tread guy like McNabb.

What the OP fails to realize is this.If Beck Fails thats all good.Why is that a good thing you say? Maybe now we will atleast go into next season knowing who,and what J.Beck is.IMO That's a lot Better than Watching a 9 year vet implode. People are such Hypocrites! When RG plays horrible you will hear fans say "we all know WHO Rex is " to me this is the most ridiculous statement.So basically you are saying we know that RG is going to implode,but yet we are such naive fans that still we just want to waste a whole year on Rex. Beck represents the unknown.JB is more mobile,has the stronger arm, and based off what we know of him at the moment, he seems to make the better decisions at QB.We all know that Beck was a Good college QB. This gives fans even more optimism. If J.Beck works out how great of a steal would that be for the Skins? If he doesn't workout what did we really lose out on? Rex not playing longer in this season lol?

I'll use this analogy.

Here's my analogy. You are on a date and you have to choose between Footloose at 8:45 and whatever the new George Clooney movie is at 9:10. You've seen the original Footloose, and the music was okay and occasionally you'd get some shots of a hot babe jiggling it. But for the most part, the original was a pretty boring movie. The George Clooney movie got great reviews, but you already know the George Clooney movie is going to suck, because it's a George Clooney movie. And you see about 3 people in line for the George Clooney movie, all with thick glasses and big butts. Your hot date is torn - on the one hand, she incorrectly remembers Footloose as almost winning an Academy Award, but, on the other hand, George Clooney is just so dreamy. After careful consideration you go with the sure thing - Footloose. And how painful could it be to look at Julianne Hough for a couple hours?

But after about 20 minutes of Footloose, you realize the remake isn't better than the original, its the same damn thing. And your date is starting to mouth the lines before they happen on screen. You can still switch to the crappy George Clooney movie. You know what's going to happen in Footloose, because no matter what the advertisements promised, absolutely nothing has changed. Do you stick with Footloose or take a chance the GC movie may surprise you?

I think you switch.

In the last 10 Super Bowls only 7 different QBs

That's a wide spread of qbs... kind of speaks against the dominant super qb theory. Hard to buy that there are 7 GREAT QBs in a decade. Basically, you are saying that a ton of different teams get in with different qbs... not all qbs can be great. I'd argue that Beg Ben, Eli, Brad Johnson aren't "great" That's 40% of the last ten year's worth of Superbowls. Is Drew Brees "great"... probably... Is he HOF great... not sure.

I do think you need very good qb play and a good qb... but what makes a great qb? Is it the qb himself, is it the scheme, his supporting cast, his coaches... I'd argue all of the above. Some people say Dan Marino was one of the greatest qbs to ever play... He made a Superbowl in his rookie year and wasn't even really a playoff contender most of the time. Brett Farve won one despite his "greatness"

Beck represents the unknown.

Only if you haven't been paying attention. The dude came into the league in 2007. A Miami team that has been starved for stability at quarterback since Dan Marino walked away gave up on him after just five games worth of action. A Baltimore team that does a far better job of discovering talent than the Redskins traded him away for the seventh-best cornerback on a team that had three of them that were any good. We're not talking about a 23-year-old waiting for his shot. We're talking about a 30-year-old that no one other than two gentlemen named Shanahan have ever gone out of their way to support. Even yesterday guys like Santana Moss, Darrel Young and Jabar Gaffney went out of their way to say they believe Grossman should still be the starter next week. Not exactly the ringing endorsement for the great unknown, huh?

I thought Beck looked completely awful at his first few snaps as starting quarterback yesterday before settling in to looking okay. He had a couple of nice passes out there once he settled down and he definitely looked better than Grossman yesterday.

That being said, I'm with you. Eventually, he's going to implode and look terrible out there. Once teams have a chance to figure him out and once he really gets pressured, I don't think he's going to fare very well. He's a 30 year old who has never been a starter. Optimistic Redskins fans can convince themselves that he's some diamond in the rough that's just been waiting to be discovered by the right coach, but I think over the next few weeks we are going to see why this guy has been on the bench this whole time.

Beck may implode but as to the idea of once he gets pressured -- well seemed like all the Eagles tried to do is blitz the dude, we saw him under pressure IMO.

---------- Post added October-18th-2011 at 07:40 AM ----------

Only if you haven't been paying attention. The dude came into the league in 2007. A Miami team that has been starved for stability at quarterback since Dan Marino walked away gave up on him after just five games worth of action. A Baltimore team that does a far better job of discovering talent than the Redskins traded him away for the seventh-best cornerback on a team that had three of them that were any good. We're not talking about a 23-year-old waiting for his shot. We're talking about a 30-year-old that no one other than two gentlemen named Shanahan have ever gone out of their way to support. Even yesterday guys like Santana Moss, Darrel Young and Jabar Gaffney went out of their way to say they believe Grossman should still be the starter next week. Not exactly the ringing endorsement for the great unknown, huh?

I recall Gaffney being very complementary of Beck during the preseason, talking up among other things how he's fired up in the huddle. I recall many Comcast excerpts of Santana GUSHING about JC. I think its his nature. As for Beck, you got me if he's good or not but i am not ruling him out based on Miami and Baltimore. It's not like he was some undrafted long shot who has never made it. He was a high pick. Started his rookie season on one of the worst teams in the NFL of all time for 5 games. Then Parcells took over. And I gather wanted his own guys. With Baltimore he was brought over I would gather by Cameron, I doubt he did so because he didn't like Beck in Miami, but they had a starter in Flacco. And as we all know once a young player doesn't establish themselves early in their career, you get nothing back for them in a trade usually.

In the last 10 Super Bowls only 7 different QBs have won it. So of course only 5 MIGHT be considered HOFers. But it is obvious that more teams with great QB play have won than teams who just have "overall great play". Brady has 3, Manning has 1 and Roethlesburger has 2. Thats 6 there. Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Eli and Brad Johnson account for the others. So pretty much every team to win a SB in the last decade has had a great QB. Even Johnson played a big role in Tampa's SB win. Great QB play makes the rest of the players on offense look better than they actually are (see Indy).

The 10 Super Bowls before the last 10 were won by Mark Rypien, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, John Elway, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner and Trent Dilfer. Dilfer won a Super Bowl because of one of the best statistical defenses ever. Aside from that the rest of teams had GREAT QB play (yes, including Rypien in 91). We need our franchise QB.

You totally miss the ENTIRE point. You also throw around GREAT QB too easily. I guess your assumption is getting to the Super Bowl makes them a great QB.

And I didn't say 5 HOF'ers. What I actually indicated was there is 2, MAYBE 3.

Of the QB's that have won in the last decade, 2 are probably guaranteed HOF'ers. Aaron Rodgers looks great, but he has an incredible surrounding cast. Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Brad Johnson GREAT???

I guess the gist of my post is you have a better chance building a solid franchise with a good QB, than lucking into a Manning or a Brady. Do you know how many FAILED quarterbacks have come in gone in the league in the last decade? People act like drafting a "franchise" qb is just a matter of drafting a qb and sticking with them. It aint that easy.

Archived