Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: John Beck is the people's champ ... for now

themurf

So what if Beck ends up with 3+ picks too? Bench him and put Rex back in? I'm fine with either as a backup, but I hope the primary focus in the off-season is a QB.

No...unless you think Rex only got benched for the Philly game in a vacuum. I think he got benched because he averaged over 2 turnovers per game in all 8 of his starts as a Redskin. If Beck shows a similar issue over 8+ games, then I'd be fine with them declaring them both unusable for 2012 and beyond.

I thought Beck looked completely awful at his first few snaps as starting quarterback yesterday before settling in to looking okay. He had a couple of nice passes out there once he settled down and he definitely looked better than Grossman yesterday.

That being said, I'm with you. Eventually, he's going to implode and look terrible out there. Once teams have a chance to figure him out and once he really gets pressured, I don't think he's going to fare very well. He's a 30 year old who has never been a starter. Optimistic Redskins fans can convince themselves that he's some diamond in the rough that's just been waiting to be discovered by the right coach, but I think over the next few weeks we are going to see why this guy has been on the bench this whole time.

Yeah, kind of like Trent Green, right.

He's at home taking snaps under Cook, they practiced well together as back ups so they are comfortable with each other.

I think we need to focus more along the O-line for solidity and not worry so much about knocking it out of the park Andrew Luck style. We all know that's not going to happen.

How many years did we have Theismann back there stinking up the joint before he turned into the foremost authority on football that he is now.

What I wouldn't give to see a young Joe Bugel drilling a fresh unit on the side line during a game. But this is reality, we gotta dance with who we brung and make the best of it. I haven't seen either QB's running for their lives like Ramsey,Campbell or Mcnabb did so who knows? Give it some time.

Carolina was a 2-14 team last year so I doubt they have all the puzzle pieces either. Hail!

---------- Post added October-19th-2011 at 05:00 PM ----------

He is who we thought he was, and we let him get off the hook!:panthersu

No...unless you think Rex only got benched for the Philly game in a vacuum. I think he got benched because he averaged over 2 turnovers per game in all 8 of his starts as a Redskin. If Beck shows a similar issue over 8+ games, then I'd be fine with them declaring them both unusable for 2012 and beyond.

That makes sense, but would you still want to give him an 8+ game leash, or do you think it should be shorter? Like 4 games? I mean, if the team drops the next 4, DC is in for a meltdown. Nonetheless, the move seems to be the right one, primarily for what you stated...Rex = 2 Turnovers per game.

That makes sense, but would you still want to give him an 8+ game leash, or do you think it should be shorter? Like 4 games? I mean, if the team drops the next 4, DC is in for a meltdown. Nonetheless, the move seems to be the right one, primarily for what you stated...Rex = 2 Turnovers per game.

If we lose the next 4, I don't think it really matters what we do at QB for the last 7 games of this season. We'd be 3-6 and on a 5-game losing streak. I suppose you could go back to Grossman, but you're still giving Beck half the games you gave Grossman to evaluate whether he has a role here next season (as a backup).

Basically, from what Grossman has done in the league plus what he's done with this team, I think it's safe to say his Redskin career ends on January 1. I think Beck should get at least 8 games for us to determine his fate for 2012 and beyond.

I heard something on the radio yesterday, something along the line Rex was better in preseason. Ok but no one is mentioning the fact that Beck was also injured during camp and in fact didn't even play the first preseason game. I truly believe Mike and Kyle S would have started Beck if not for his injury and thus less than ideal practice conditions during camp. the reason why I say this is if they both believed Rex just had a bad game no way they make this change. I think they both think Beck is the real deal and really couldn't pull this move with us sitting at 3-1. Way to much risk for them to make that move before the atrocious game with the Eagles.

Archived