Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: John Beck is the people's champ ... for now

themurf

Here's my analogy. You are on a date and you have to choose between Footloose at 8:45 and whatever the new George Clooney movie is at 9:10. You've seen the original Footloose, and the music was okay and occasionally you'd get some shots of a hot babe jiggling it. But for the most part, the original was a pretty boring movie. The George Clooney movie got great reviews, but you already know the George Clooney movie is going to suck, because it's a George Clooney movie. And you see about 3 people in line for the George Clooney movie, all with thick glasses and big butts. Your hot date is torn - on the one hand, she incorrectly remembers Footloose as almost winning an Academy Award, but, on the other hand, George Clooney is just so dreamy. After careful consideration you go with the sure thing - Footloose. And how painful could it be to look at Julianne Hough for a couple hours?

But after about 20 minutes of Footloose, you realize the remake isn't better than the original, its the same damn thing. And your date is starting to mouth the lines before they happen on screen. You can still switch to the crappy George Clooney movie. You know what's going to happen in Footloose, because no matter what the advertisements promised, absolutely nothing has changed. Do you stick with Footloose or take a chance the GC movie may surprise you?

I think you switch.

DEAR GOD!!!! HAHA

:cheers:

I recall Gaffney being very complementary of Beck during the preseason, talking up among other things how he's fired up in the huddle. I recall many Comcast excerpts of Santana GUSHING about JC. I think its his nature. As for Beck, you got me if he's good or not but i am not ruling him out based on Miami and Baltimore. It's not like he was some undrafted long shot who has never made it. He was a high pick. Started his rookie season on one of the worst teams in the NFL of all time for 5 games. Then Parcells took over. And I gather wanted his own guys. With Baltimore he was brought over I would gather by Cameron, I doubt he did so because he didn't like Beck in Miami, but they had a starter in Flacco. And as we all know once a young player doesn't establish themselves early in their career, you get nothing back for them in a trade usually.

No one in the locker room is bad mouthing Beck. They're just being honest in stating they'd rather have Grossman as the starter. Like I said, it's plain as day for you if you actually want to see it. But I completely understand why Redskins fans would love to give Beck a chance - even if nothing he's done since he came into the league in '07 suggests he's actually capable of becoming "the man."

No one in the locker room is bad mouthing Beck. They're just being honest in stating they'd rather have Grossman as the starter. Like I said, it's plain as day for you if you actually want to see it. But I completely understand why Redskins fans would love to give Beck a chance - even if nothing he's done since he came into the league in '07 suggests he's actually capable of becoming "the man."

I don't doubt that but my main point on it is does it mean anything? I recall similar support for McNabb and JC. With Santana, I could have played violins with all of his gushing of JC, and I wasn't one of the big JC haters on the board so it didn't bother me. Outside of some straggler malcontent types like T-O, Chad, etc with their QBs it seems standard to back up any starting player especially one who is under siege by the media. I am not even saying its phony heck I am sure they can relate to the idea of being put on the spotlight by the media after a bad game, they'd want their teammates to defend them. And i am sure they know they can't do it in a lukewarm fashion otherwise the media would be all over it, if Santana said "look we had no confidence in Rex, lets see what Beck can do" it would likely be on the front page of the Washington Post and headline ESPN. And again, I am sure Santana is genuine about Rex. I've noticed he's pro incumbent when it comes to QBs for as long as I've noticed. And as much as i don't care for Rex, actually I like it that Santana will back the starter, its classy. He's the anti-Clinton Portis

And again, I am sure Santana is genuine about Rex. I've noticed he's pro incumbent when it comes to QBs for as long as I've noticed. And as much as i don't care for Rex, actually I like it that Santana will back the starter, its classy. He's the anti-Clinton Portis

You're partially right. I've gotten a chance to know Moss a little bit over the years and the one thing he really wants is some stability and continuity in the offense. If that means continuing to believe Grossman can be the guy rather than starting over with Beck or whoever else, then he's more than likely going to stick with who he's got throwing him passes now.

Only if you haven't been paying attention. The dude came into the league in 2007. A Miami team that has been starved for stability at quarterback since Dan Marino walked away gave up on him after just five games worth of action. A Baltimore team that does a far better job of discovering talent than the Redskins traded him away for the seventh-best cornerback on a team that had three of them that were any good. We're not talking about a 23-year-old waiting for his shot. We're talking about a 30-year-old that no one other than two gentlemen named Shanahan have ever gone out of their way to support. Even yesterday guys like Santana Moss, Darrel Young and Jabar Gaffney went out of their way to say they believe Grossman should still be the starter next week. Not exactly the ringing endorsement for the great unknown, huh?

So you're going on the limb to say Beck will not be good or at least better than Rex? You Know a ton about JB, tell me what are his weakness? What are his strength? So what happens if Beck plays well? What will you say if we win with Beck? Since based off what you "KNOW" of him he is incapable of doing such. Becks going to start and we will see ,but me personally Im not going to go out on a limb and say what Beck will/will not do.Like I said I don't know much about him, but you do so we will see. LOL

I thought Beck looked completely awful at his first few snaps as starting quarterback yesterday before settling in to looking okay. He had a couple of nice passes out there once he settled down and he definitely looked better than Grossman yesterday.

That being said, I'm with you. Eventually, he's going to implode and look terrible out there. Once teams have a chance to figure him out and once he really gets pressured, I don't think he's going to fare very well. He's a 30 year old who has never been a starter. Optimistic Redskins fans can convince themselves that he's some diamond in the rough that's just been waiting to be discovered by the right coach, but I think over the next few weeks we are going to see why this guy has been on the bench this whole time.

Quite possibly true, just as true as it was to take a gamble on McNabb and then Grossman. This town needs a qwater-baack no duh. But Sexys turn was played, now switching all bets to Beck, and if that don't pan out Shanny will be hitting the ATM for some more gamble chips. A new QB will be coming to DC soon enough. Rebuilding ain't pretty, ain't fun and usually cost more than you think. But when it is done, if you know what your doing the outcome is beautiful.

It seems to me that Beck looks and throws down field more than Rex. Rex looks and throws short into coverage. Funny thing is when we beat Carolina's butt his Sunday and the Aints loss to Miami we will be in first place in the NFC East!

I don't know, I think most fans are jaded enough to know that Shanny is choosing between two turd sandwiches. I don't get the feeling that most fans are all that excited about Beck, just relieved that we don't have to watch Pickasaurus Rex throw four picks and get sacked all day.

It's just like the lotto. I have two different lotto tickets for sale.One ticket is from last weeks lotto(RG) a ticket that you already know that there is no chance at winning at all because of the out of date ticket.The second ticket (JB) is just a regular ticket there is a very high chance that you might lose with this ticket,but there is still a slight possibility that you can still Win Very Big playing this ticket as well. Which ticket are you going to wanna purchase?

Yeah. That was a hot anaology. You made me feel like 100% better. No B.S. Thanks dawg!

HTTR!!!

Quite possibly true, just as true as it was to take a gamble on McNabb and then Grossman. This town needs a qwater-baack no duh. But Sexys turn was played, now switching all bets to Beck, and if that don't pan out Shanny will be hitting the ATM for some more gamble chips. A new QB will be coming to DC soon enough. Rebuilding ain't pretty, ain't fun and usually cost more than you think. But when it is done, if you know what your doing the outcome is beautiful.

I'd just hate to see them completely squander this season. I agree that they should and probably will get a better QB in the offseason, but they have an outside shot at making the playoffs this year, at least with a Wildcard spot.

I think Beck is going to excel in this Offense because it is meant to be executed by the run, intermixed with short, quick passes. Whoever in this thread said Beck has a strong arm is mistaken. In fact his biggest weakness is his lack of arm strength. But he does not need to have a strong arm in this offensive scheme.

He has a few intangibles I like: excellent IQ and an ability not to make the errant pass. We desperately need a QB who is willing to go through his progressions and if it is not there, throw it away or take the sack. How many QB's in the NFC East do that consistently? NONE.

I think the OL can be reshuffled and trust me Shanny will get that right. Hightower, Helu and Torain have to make some decent runs in this game and all the others to make this offense work. If they do their job Beck will be fine. Kyle has to stick, commit to the run and commit to screens and slants in the passing game. We have receivers that can pick up extra yardage just like a RB once they get the ball.

I like the move.

I'd just hate to see them completely squander this season. I agree that they should and probably will get a better QB in the offseason, but they have an outside shot at making the playoffs this year, at least with a Wildcard spot.

Most of us didn't think we'd make the playoffs so I don't think its really squandering the season. I had us at 6-10. If we make the playoffs, fine, but I just want to continue to build the team for the long haul and not some wild-card game (see 2005, 2007). I want to be a contender year in and year out.

I think Beck is going to excel in this Offense because it is meant to be executed by the run, intermixed with short, quick passes. Whoever in this thread said Beck has a strong arm is mistaken. In fact his biggest weakness is his lack of arm strength. But he does not need to have a strong arm in this offensive scheme.

First I’d like to start by saying I am NOT a skins fan. (not against the skins either born and raised in Utah which has no NFL team.)

I am a BYU fan and from time to time I like to look around and see how players are doing that have left BYU to the NFL. Currently watching Austin Collie, John Beck and Dennis Pitta.

The things I want to bring up about John is some comments that are being made, at first everyone was saying he has a weak arm, another is his good mobility. (eh?) another is captain check down and also his inaccuracy.

First off he does not have a weak arm. He also is not known for his mobility, this is something new that I have never seen and honestly I am liking it, he never needed it before because he had a solid line (and what QB wouldn’t look good with plenty of time?) the captain check down comment is pretty dumb, doing this opens up the ability to make longer passes and run plays. Do something consistently and it forces the defense to adjust for that which opens up areas of opportunity. About his inaccuracy, if he is a BYU QB he is accurate. They are a passing team and depend on accuracy and speed of passes. (and arm strength.

Here is something I pulled up from a post from the local newspaper.

John has one of the strongest arms in college football. In an October 8th article in the Deseret News, Dick Harmon wrote:

“Earlier this week, perhaps the most relaxed in his BYU football career, [John] Beck knelt down at the 47-yard line of the indoor practice facility, and with a flick of his wrist, threw the football through the uprights and into the wall. Standing up, he can throw a football consistently more than 75 yards.”

I would imagine there are very few QB’s in college with enough pure arm strength to a trick like that (57 yards through the uprights from his knees?!).

I agree that he probably doesn’t have what it takes to be a solid starter in the NFL, but it’s probably due more to his size, speed, and mobility (or lack thereof) rather than his arm strength.

“mobility, or the lack of it.” This is something new and adds to his arsenal.

I have wanted beck from the start but with all this being said I still don’t think I would have benched Grossman (I would have at halftime though, after someone plays badly let them sit down and breath relax and then come back in.) I was playing pool after 2 rounds was about to throw a ball through the wall. Sat down for 30 mins and felt better tried again and did well. But once you go with a player you stick with him they will SHOULD eventually get in a groove. According to this fan base as soon as beck has one slightly bad game its throw him to the wolves. I’d rather he didn’t get a chance then have that happen again.

Again as said before not a skins fan have no ill will against skins. Maybe having a BYU QB in the NFL might convert me, (I wasn’t a big fan back in the Steve Young days and Detmer never had a chance.)

PS, 1 family member is a cowboys fan but don’t worry I haven’t fallen for it.

First I’d like to start by saying I am NOT a skins fan. (not against the skins either born and raised in Utah which has no NFL team.)

I am a BYU fan and from time to time I like to look around and see how players are doing that have left BYU to the NFL. Currently watching Austin Collie, John Beck and Todd Heaps.

The things I want to bring up about John is some comments that are being made, at first everyone was saying he has a weak arm, another is his good mobility. (eh?) another is captain check down and also his inaccuracy.

First off he does not have a weak arm. He also is not known for his ability, this is something new that I have never seen and honestly I am liking it, he never needed it before because he had a solid line (and what QB wouldn’t look good with plenty of time?) the captain check down comment is pretty dumb, doing this opens up the ability to make longer passes and run plays. Do something consistently and it forces the defense to adjust for that which opens up areas of opportunity. About his inaccuracy, if he is a BYU QB he is accurate. They are a passing team and depend on accuracy and speed of passes. (and arm strength.

John has one of the strongest arms in college football. In an October 8th article in the Deseret News, Dick Harmon wrote:

“Earlier this week, perhaps the most relaxed in his BYU football career, [John] Beck knelt down at the 47-yard line of the indoor practice facility, and with a flick of his wrist, threw the football through the uprights and into the wall. Standing up, he can throw a football consistently more than 75 yards.”

I would imagine there are very few QB’s in college with enough pure arm strength to a trick like that (57 yards through the uprights from his knees?!).

I agree that he probably doesn’t have what it takes to be a solid starter in the NFL, but it’s probably due more to his size, speed, and mobility (or lack thereof) rather than his arm strength.

I have wanted beck from the start but with all this being said I still don’t think I would have benched Grossman (I would have at halftime though, after someone plays badly let them sit down and breath relax and then come back in.) I was playing pool after 2 rounds was about to throw a ball through the wall. Sat down for 30 mins and felt better tried again and did well. But once you go with a player you stick with him they will SHOULD eventually get in a groove. According to this fan base as soon as beck has one slightly bad game its throw him to the wolves. I’d rather he didn’t get a chance then have that happen again.

Again as said before not a skins fan have no ill will against skins. Maybe having a BYU QB in the NFL might convert me, (I wasn’t a big fan back in the Steve Young days and Detmer never had a chance.)

A minor correction. Todd Heap didn't play at BYU, but he is LDS. He played at Arizona State. Maybe you were thinking of Dennis Pitta (TE - Baltimore).

Also, having watched Beck thru all his college days, he was more athletic than given credit for. You are just now seeing it in the pros. I remember seeing a multitude of broken plays where Beck literally willed something to happen. His ability to "sense" the pocket is very good. He demonstrated that on Sunday. Stepping up when he needed to, always keeping his focus downfield.

Skins fans will come around. And those in support of Beck will be grinning ear to ear.

Can't wait til Sunday!

I am a BYU fan and from time to time I like to look around and see how players are doing that have left BYU to the NFL. Currently watching Austin Collie, John Beck and Dennis Pitta.

First off he does not have a weak arm. He also is not known for his ability, this is something new that I have never seen and honestly I am liking it, he never needed it before because he had a solid line (and what QB wouldn’t look good with plenty of time?) the captain check down comment is pretty dumb, doing this opens up the ability to make longer passes and run plays. Do something consistently and it forces the defense to adjust for that which opens up areas of opportunity. About his inaccuracy, if he is a BYU QB he is accurate. They are a passing team and depend on accuracy and speed of passes. (and arm strength.

I think this is very interesting. Good perspective from his days at BYU. From the preseason games I watched and the Eagles game I did not witness a strong arm. Not everything in college ball translates over the the NFL as we well know. He is damn mobile though and with our O line he better be. That was my main reason for wanting Shanny to yank Grossman. Hope you get a chance to catch the game this weekend. Look forward to your opinion afterwards. I hope you are right and I am wrong and he has a great arm, just have not seen it.

I am not worried about the arm strength I have seen some of his bombs, what I am worried about his something he has never done well with. And that is blitz and a weak front line. maybe this new mobility thing will change that. I will be watching the game (thanks to the skins fans for teaching me about a little link)

I am worried about his something he has never done well with. And that is blitz and a weak front line. maybe this new mobility thing will change that. I will be watching the game (thanks to the skins fans for teaching me about a little link)

Funny you bring up the blitz. One of the announcer's aptly pointed out right after Beck was blitzed on this one play that he did not "sense" this guy coming after him even though he been flushed out of the pocket. In fact he had turned his back away from his blind side and the guy naturally brought him down. Yeah the O line is weak man. Hoping that Shanny shuffles it well. Yup you will see that mobility and in fact I think it is exactly why he is bringing him in.

I was very impressed with the way Beck was able to move up and with the pocket when it started breaking down. There was no panic in him at all. He kept his poise and was looking downfield. Made some great throws (Moss, Austin) as a result. Given that he was completely cold coming in, with zero reps w/ the starters, just wait to see how he looks with a week or 2 practicing with them. I really think this is a good week to have him starting, as Carolina's D is weak, and there should be some balance in the O.

Beck provides another (in a very minor way) threat, in that he is mobile enough to turn some bootlegs into yards w/ his feet (he did this Sunday). Accounting for another potential runner gives defenses headaches. He's no Vick, but he's mobile, and can run it. It's just another added dimension to the game the Skins don't have w/ Grossman.

Oh, and he has a very strong arm. Deciptively so.

And the music may be corny to some, but here's his career at BYU. Some good footage.

I'm thinking that most fans like myself are just hoping that Beck (if he starts) is good enough to over come our banged up OL with his athleticism, keep our defense off of the field for more than 3 seconds and to actually lead our WR's with his passes instead of having them have to wait on them.

He will have his work cut out for him for sure. I think Beck will light up the Panthers in his first game. However, it will get much tougher in the coming weeks... HTTR

The wildcard is the unknown Beck, the duece just left the building.

I am not worried about the arm strength I have seen some of his bombs, what I am worried about his something he has never done well with. And that is blitz and a weak front line. maybe this new mobility thing will change that. I will be watching the game (thanks to the skins fans for teaching me about a little link)

I've heard a lot of people talk about the weak arm as well and I'd like to know what they are watching. He's got an unusual delivery with almost no wind up but he delivers the ball quickly. The captain checkdown thing came from the preseason where he threw mostly short passes. Of course, they were complete and many of them went for big gains.

All in all, we don't know what to expect. We just haven't seen enough of him to have any confidence that he is the man. The fact that he has bounced around worries most of us. But he looked good in preseason IMO. But then again, so did Rex. I wanted Beck to win the job in preseason and am cautiously optimistic that he will do well. But needless to say most of us aren't counting on it.

This thread is schizophrenic. But what the heck, I''ll play.

To the thread part that's talking great QB's winning Super Bowls: If one assumes that there are, at a minimum 3 great QB's in the league, that means that on 7 out of the 10 years mentioned that 2 great QB's didn't make it to the Super Bowl. In the 3 years where a team with a great QB did not win the Super Bowl, then there are 3. Which means that in the last 10 years 23 teams with great QB's did not win the Super Bowl. Obviously, the numbers go higher if you let your assumptions on "great QB's" go above 3. Stats are fascinating although somehwat apolitical - both sides use them to make whatever point they want. A great QB is never a guarantee of a Super Bowl. Ask Dan Marino. Every Super Bowl winner was a great team. Some had great QB's and some had average QB's. Some were probably called "great QB's" because they had great teams around them.

To the thread on starting Beck: there are only three possible outcomes to starting Beck. Either he's better than Rex, he's worse than Rex, or he's the same as Rex. The Redskins will come out better, no matter what the result. Even the Rex fans have to admit, he has been a below avergae QB with occasional flashes of skill. If Beck is better than Rex, then depending on how much better, either we have our QB for 5 years or we have more wins or both. If Beck is worse than Rex, then we know that neither QB is the future QB of the Redskins, and we have a higher draft pick to get a better one. And if Beck's the same as Rex, then what difference does starting him make? At least then there'll never be speculation that we had the next QB already on the roster and we didn't give him the chance.

I was coming up with my own analogy when I read the lotto ticket analogy. And then I read the George Clloney vs. Footloose one. Both superior to what I was coming up with. Well played to both of you!

Archived