Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Is What Frustrates Me The Most

DM72

Most puzzling. Speed is speed - you can get it cheap if you look around (Wes Welker, Miles Austin).

I believe the Pats did trade a second for Welker.

I daresay this board would go berserk if we did that for a guy who hadn't shown much as of the time of the trade.

Bellicheck saw something in him when they played Miami, and ponied up for him.

~Bang

The one thing I've noticed is that the Redskins haven't had two WRs gain over 1,000 yards receiving since Albert Connell and Michael Westbrook did it in 1999. The Redskins also had Steven Davis bulldoze for over 1,000 yards rushing and 17 TDs on the ground. Until the Redskins can get receiving threats the offense will be average. While I like John Beck and what he brings to the table, I also can see Bruce Allen and company drafting a QB in the first round. The offensive line is fine the way it is. The scouting department needs to look at a QB and WRs before they draft next April. The Redskins have been lacking offensive explosion for far too long.

Hard to get 1000 yards when your qb throws it into triple coverage, checks down every play, or has no touch to connect with the receivers time and time again. Really, i think you can put every single quarterback we have had in past decade into one of those categories.

Triple Coverage:

Grossman

Captain Checkdown:

Campbell

Brunell

No Touch:

Ramsey

Mcnabb

Banks

George

Beck

Suck:

Hasselbeck

Collins

Weufell

Rosenfells

Mathews

Frerotte

It doesnt take a genius to understand that the last time our offense didnt suck and had production from not only our rb, but our wrs is when we had a qb who didnt fit into one of those aforementioned categories.

Add Heath Shuler to the suck list.

Hard to get 1000 yards when your qb throws it into triple coverage' date=' checks down every play, or has no touch to connect with the receivers time and time again. Really, i think you can put every single quarterback we have had in past decade into one of those categories.

Triple Coverage:

Grossman

Captain Checkdown:

Campbell

Brunell

No Touch:

Ramsey

Mcnabb

Banks

George

Beck

Suck:

Hasselbeck

Collins

Weufell

Rosenfells

Mathews

Frerotte

It doesnt take a genius to understand that the last time our offense didnt suck and had production from not only our rb, but our wrs is when we had a qb who didnt fit into one of those aforementioned categories.[/quote']

Continue being patient. The culture is changing thanks to, well, getting rid of Cerato and getting Bruce Allen and then Shanahan. They are doing the right things to win. Building through the draft. We had a good draft and after a decade of tearing the team down will take another year or two possibly three until we have the right guys in position to bring the Lomardi back to Washington. But it's happening. Adults are in charge and we are heading the right direction...DISCIPLINED, PHYSICAL FOOTBALL with reduced mistakes. HTTR!

I think you need either an A quarterback with a B o-line or an A+ line with a B quarterback.

A great qb will compensate for a lot of holes in talent. A great line will make also make everyone better. The problem is that we have a C line and a C/D quarterback.

The last time we had an offense that could score at will was in 1999 under Norv (although the defense sucked) and since then Snyder has destroyed this team, Shottenheimer was pointing this team in the right direction and was fired! and all he did was go to san diego and build a contender while we had to deal with the "ball coach" Gibbs II wasn't that great look at the trades/free agents under his watch, he traded Bailey & 2nd rd. pk for Portis, 3rd rd. pk. for Brunell, 4th rd. pk. for Lloyd, signing Archuleta not drafting OL or DL need i go on? This franchise has given away far too many draft pks. and threw away way too much money on free agents that were no good over the last 12 yrs. and now everyone wants Shananhan to fix it overnight Wont Happen!! the only problem is that Shanny is the only coach in the league who thinks Grossman can actually play but i believe we are headed in the right direction as long as they stay focused on building through the draft and only go after mid level free agents that can actually play and get a QB

We are still paying the price for years of neglect and Vincompetence. If you use all the wasted picks even just for solid depth across the board, you have the luxury of focusing on a top tier QB this year, a killer WR next year, etc., like other teams can, but everything needed fixing when Shanahallen came it.

It's like you buy a house on short sale- location, location, location (TheDan's wallet basically)- and you can see what it can be, but it takes a lot of work, a lot of drywall might make it look better but you can't do that until you redo the wiring/plumbing inside the walls, and don't even think about paint yet, and the leaky roof demands attention before the wiring, yadda yadda yadda...

Yes, we have to get a QB (new furnace) before we freeze to death, but heat isn't our only issue. We started w/ the exterminator (roster cuts), fixed the doors to secure the place (Allen's cap/contract management), replaced windows to keep the wind out (select FA additions), did some foundation repairs (good drafting) and put in an alarm to keep vandals out (booted Vinny and tied TheDan to a chair). It ain't pretty yet but it is far better than it was when you went to settlement. The neighbors gripe about the yard and want you to replace the siding (yakkery from the fanbase) but you know that these are not a priority yet, just can't be a priority yet.

Yeah, you know that Brady kid mowing the lawn at the Belichick place up the street is smirking at you, but you have to stay focused on your job and ignore all of that.

I believe the Pats did trade a second for Welker.

I daresay this board would go berserk if we did that for a guy who hadn't shown much as of the time of the trade.

Bellicheck saw something in him when they played Miami, and ponied up for him.

~Bang

You are correct that there was a significant transaction cost - a #2 and a #7 (because they didn't want Miami to match their offer). But with NE's draft position, that's effectively a #3 and a UDFA. And they were in negotiations to get Randy Moss at the time. Welker signed a 5 year contract for $18M. So they got a speed receiver to draw coverage off Moss, one of the best young punt & kick returners, and a starting receiver for less than $4M/year. That's a pretty good deal even if he hadn't turned out to be the best receiver in the game. He did gain 600+ yards in his last year in Miami, so there was a pretty good chance he'd be a 1000 yd receiver with Moss and Brady on his team.

i think its a combination of qb and ol. the line doesnt give the qb enough time to make his reads, and when he does have time, cant deliver the goods. we could probably succeed with a qb like vick, who can make up for a bad line. or we could succeed with grossman (cough) and a good line that gives him time. our problem is, we've neglected the line and never had a franchise qb. we get one or the other, and we start scoring points. we get both, we start putting up 30/game.

Did we draft a complete moron in Hankerson? Is he the second coming of Devin Thomas? I know it takes time for a rookie receiver to develop but are there no routes he can run? Is the playbook still hieroglyphs to him?

We need young, tall, speedy talent at the WR position. Thus the reason we drafted him and Niles. Put the kids out there and let em learn. What the heck do we have to lose? I can deal with rookie mistakes while they are rookies rather than 2nd/3rd year players.

Archived