Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Is What Frustrates Me The Most

DM72

No matter who we bring in, new coaches and new players, our offense always sucks. I, like all of you, watch plenty of NFL. I have the NFL Ticket and I see all the highlights, why are we the only team, it seems, to NEVER be able to put together a solid offensive game for four quarters. I understand we don't have great playmakers, but even bad teams, on occassion, have games where they can't be stopped. Granted, we don't have the best offensive talent, but I've seen worse. It makes no difference if we're playing a horrible defense, we STILL struggle to put up points. Then I see other teams that should be no better, put up points. Are the Bills that much more talented on offense than the Skins?

I know it all begins with the QB and ours isn't very good, but even bad QBs light it up every now and then. Why can't that ever happen for us?

Another thing that frustrates me is our defense. I know, we have a good defense, but two out of the last three games they couldn't make a stop at the end of the game. That's a little troubling.

I consider myself patient, but even I have my limit. Is it too much to ask to have one 4th quarter that don't come down to the final minutes?

I feel your pain. We watch just about every other team on tv and see a crisp offense that can score no matter where they are on the field. Then we watch us, a flash of greatness then a sputter and studder followed by endless punts to the point that we NEVER put a team away. Well almost never. Its frustrating to say the least. The one thing we can count on year in and year out is a struggling offense no matter the coaches or players.

as i said earlier today:

..... I just pray to God that we can finally draft a legit, franchise QB.

-Jeff George

-Tony Banks

-Shane Matthews

-Patrick Ramsey

-Mark Brunell

-Jason Campbell

-Donovan Mcnabb(past his prime)

-Rex Grossman

-John Beck

...........When are we ever going to succeed at this position?

And while we are talking about things that frustrate us, can i mention,without getting blasted to much lol, one of our better defensive players and his inability to make an inside cut during a pass rush? Brian Orakpo. I love the man and all he does,but over and over and over again we see him being held the exact same way with that arm hooked around his neck. An inside move every now and then would eliminate this and expose his holds to the refs. weather they chose to call em is a different story all together. It just seems he has that 1 outside rush and thats it. No Freeny/Mathis type moves in his arsenal. No hand moves to swap the arms away. Just a bull rush type move. Is it by design to keep containment? Ive seen times where offenses have exploited this and waited till he commits to the outside and runs in the gap thats created.

Originally Posted by authentic

..... I just pray to God that we can finally draft a legit, franchise QB.

-Jeff George

-Tony Banks

-Shane Matthews

-Patrick Ramsey

-Mark Brunell

-Jason Campbell

-Donovan Mcnabb(past his prime)

-Rex Grossman

-John Beck

...........When are we ever going to succeed at this position?

You forgot Todd Collins and Danny Wuerffel

It all goes back to Dan Snyder and his 10 years of inept meddling ownership. Had he left the football decisions to real football people, we wouldn't be suffering through this mess right now. It appears Snyder may have changed his ways with the hiring of Allen and Shanahan, but the mess that they inherited is so bad it will take 3 to 5 years to turn things around, and we are only in year 2.

It is frustrating, but I think Shanny realizes this and is in the process of fixing the problem. Not going to happen over night. This team is still leaps and bounds better than anyone expected us to be this season.

This team is not leaps and bounds better than anything. The defense is better, but the offense is no better.

The Redskins haven't had a *Great* quarterback since Sonny Jurgensen. Kilmer was a game manager, but threw the ugliest passes in the history of the league. Joe Theismann had some good years in D.C. but he wasn't a HOF caliber QB. He was probably the last solid, consistent quarterback we've had. From what I understand, Schroder had the skills but didn't have the brains. Rypien and Williams were one hit wonders.

When you get right down to it, the Redskins have only had 3 good/great quarterbacks throughout their history: Baugh, Jurgensen and Theismann.

This goes way farther then simply not having a franchise QB. A Franchise QB is a reason this franchise doesn't score and/or win consistently but plenty of other teams still manage to have those high scoring offense outputs maybe 3-4 times a season, where as the Redskins don't.

Honestly if you ask me it is because lack of speed on the team. Most our skill position players are simply not fast enough to take the ball to the house. That has been missing on this team ever since Gibbs 2.0 because we never really got younger at the Skill positions since then besides the Tight End spot with Fred Davis, but he is not a burner either.

Moss & Cooley(well not anymore) & Fred Davis are still the primary go to guys in this offense, and neither has take it the house speed.

Remember in '05, Santana Moss used to take those WR screen passes and if he could make the first guy miss, he would fly down the field. I believe he took one to the house against the Chiefs that year.

When you have speed at the skill positions, you will by default have an offense that can take simple screen passes to the house, or a crossing pattern across the field can turn into a 50 yard gain.

Right now, everytime we have a big gain, it is because it is a deep pass, but the ball carrier is usually tackled at the point of the catch, or tackled from behind.

When is the last time we saw a receiver catch a ball in stride and just sprint 40 yards or more to the endzone?

Why are we seemingly the only franchise that doesn't have at least SPEED at those positions?

Season after season....no speed.

It takes time to fix everything, nobody makes all the right calls, I for one remain patient. I know Rex is not the answer, and Beck i doubt is. But I look at how much improvement i see in just 2 off seasons.

1. Line way better but needs depth. 5 solid starters just no depth is not bad for just 2 offseasons.

2. DL way better then it was in just 2 offseasons

3. Lb's way way way better then it has been. (has depth)

4. S/db's jury is out but I like what i see so far. Really like since atowge seems healthier

5. Wr's I like what is there, everything you hear says paul is looking good but Hankerson jury is out.

6. RB's I would take this grp over any old washed up backs the skins had lately.

More draft picks then usual.

Yes the skins are not there but I for one remain patient.

Could be worse, we could be cheering for the Miami Dolphins or Denver Broncos

They have their downs, but they have also had ups. The Redskins haven't won the division since 1999. Even though the Dolphins were winless, they still went and won the next year.

And while we are talking about things that frustrate us, can i mention,without getting blasted to much lol, one of our better defensive players and his inability to make an inside cut during a pass rush? Brian Orakpo. I love the man and all he does,but over and over and over again we see him being held the exact same way with that arm hooked around his neck. An inside move every now and then would eliminate this and expose his holds to the refs. weather they chose to call em is a different story all together. It just seems he has that 1 outside rush and thats it. No Freeny/Mathis type moves in his arsenal. No hand moves to swap the arms away. Just a bull rush type move. Is it by design to keep containment? Ive seen times where offenses have exploited this and waited till he commits to the outside and runs in the gap thats created.
I don't know why you would get blasted, you are voicing your opinion. Don't let it bother you even if you do.

Anyway, the Eagles must have seen the same thing that you just touched on in film, because I noticed that a whole lot of those draw/delay plays were hitting right up to the inside of Rak. Rak would make his move to the outside, McCoy would wait a little for him to do just that and break it to the inside.

Archived