Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Is What Frustrates Me The Most

DM72

Kerrigan was drafted in the 2011 draft, not 2010. As for the QB issue, I'd like to have had the 2nd rounder Shanahan gave up for McNabb back, and I'd have spent it on Colt McCoy. He's young, but already he's better than Grossman.

sorry typo. but do you think colt mccoy is the answer at qb? i think he's pretty good, but is he franchise caliber? im not so sure.

and keep in mind this is in hindsight, the chances that we actually landed the 1 or 2 qbs that have produced well so far are extremely slim.

i think its been shanny's idea all along to draft a qb in 2012, which i documented before the 2011 draft. we are getting our franchise leader this draft, and its going to be awesome.

The Skins have made attempts at drafting a franchise QB. See Ramsey and Campbell, both first round picks. What the Skins did in both cases was to surround their QB with - well, nothing. Every QB needs two things: one, an offensive line that creates a running game and provides the QB time to find the open man and two, more than one receiver that's a threat to get open deep. Name one time during the Snyder era where those conditions existed simultaneously.

Redskin QB's, previous to this year, spent every game under a pile of opposing linemen, Every week it carried the fascination of watching a train wreck. With a couple of key FA signings and last year's draft of Williams, this is the first year in a long time where the OL produced both a running game and reasonable pass protection. It remains to be seen if the depth guys who will be playing this week can provide either, but at least we know the first string could and did.

Shanny and Allen made the most of their draft picks this year, but there's just too many holes to fill after a decade of neglect. They put the meat of the draft on defense. Sure, they picked up Helu and Hankerson, but both are too raw to make a great impact in their first season. With luck, next year they put the meat of the draft on the offensive line and at Wide Receiver, or if Beck doesn't work out (assuming he's given the chance) then maybe a QB.

The Skins have made attempts at drafting a franchise QB. See Ramsey and Campbell, both first round picks. What the Skins did in both cases was to surround their QB with - well, nothing. Every QB needs two things: one, an offensive line that creates a running game and provides the QB time to find the open man and two, more than one receiver that's a threat to get open deep. Name one time during the Snyder era where those conditions existed simultaneously.

Shanny and Allen made the most of their draft picks this year, but there's just too many holes to fill after a decade of neglect. They put the meat of the draft on defense. Sure, they picked up Helu and Hankerson, but both are too raw to make a great impact in their first season. With luck, next year they put the meat of the draft on the offensive line and at Wide Receiver, or if Beck doesn't work out (assuming he's given the chance) then maybe a QB.

Good point, I remember being so excited for Campbell coming out of that great Auburn team. Getting Santana for Laveranues Coles was a great decision, we definitely have gotten the better end of that trade; however we needed to do more. Cooley was great, but injuries have really limited him and I'm worried his days may be numbered. The post-Gibbs years were not kind to us at all and Shanahan/Allen are doing a solid job turning the ship... I really hope Williams can get back to 100% this season, those high ankle sprains can be real ****ers. A Deep threat, big body, super fast top WR is needed, but we should be able to get creative as well. We need to keep building depth like were doing and the product of that will be guys stepping up and making plays to stay starters. The RB core is looking good, the new WRs have not yet been proved (time will tell). The O-line was looking good untill the Philly game, but that's what injuries do to games usually when there isn't the depth. From what I heard the dirty cheap shot on Kory Lichtensteiger was 20+ yds behind the play and the play was over as Kory was still standing when the ball was downed. I haven't seen video, Shanahan said he hadn't seen it and didnt think there was video. I would really love to find it somewhere on the internet and get that piece of **** fined and suspended for that dirty shot. It just doesn't belong in the modern game. I don't blame Trent at all for losing his cool and getting the penalty afterwords, its just crazy how bad the officials were all game and we are paying the price. (wow, sorry, this post is all over the place)

I often wondered the same thing, but I honestly don't think that's the problem. It used to be that we really didn't have any above-average receivers on the roster, or when we did have some with potential, we didn't have a credible receivers coach to teach them (instead, we had Stan Hixon). So it's been a combo of a lack of talent and no one to even develop the talent we had.

Now, I think we've got some young guys who'll be good once they've adjusted sufficiently to the NFL. I don't subscribe to the non-sensical theory of "3rd year is the first year of real production for young receivers" theory. By mid-season, if they can't produce, then they don't deserve a spot on the roster.

Keenan was a shrewd student of the game when he was a receiver in the league, but I think that Jerry Sullivan would work wonders with our young receivers, and it wouldn't take long for them to show it on the field.

Why does each WR we draft have issues running routes, catching, and understanding a playbook?

I really just dont know why Mike lets kyle run the ball so little! its unnerving

We average 27 rushing attempts per game and it was over 30 before the Eagles game dropped the average. Before Sunday we ranked second in the entire NFL in rushing attempts per game. I would agree that we should have stuck with the run more Sunday even though it was not being productive but saying we have not committed to the running game looking at the season as a whole is a myth.

Originally Posted by authentic

..... I just pray to God that we can finally draft a legit, franchise QB.

-Jeff George

-Tony Banks

-Shane Matthews

-Patrick Ramsey

-Mark Brunell

-Jason Campbell

-Donovan Mcnabb(past his prime)

-Rex Grossman

-John Beck

...........When are we ever going to succeed at this position?

You forgot Todd Collins and Danny Wuerffel

Oh lord. That's just no bueno. Not good

We wouldn't suck had we stocked pilled the oline in 2008 and drafted some WRs over 6'0 that could actually run routes and catch. Coach Gibbs/Williams not coming back in 2008 hurt us. That could have been a turning point. Instead it was Zorn/Blache and the ****ery that ensued after.

I disagree. Our offense sucked a good portion of the time during Coach Gibbs era. Maybe it was because Synder and Cerrato were still making personnel decisions. Whatever, there is nothing to suggest 2008 would have been a great year offensively.

Ok so this isnt really "frustrating" but it isnt thread worthy and couldnt think of a better thread to add it in but, given that Kyle is the OC and Mike is the HC (about obvious huh?) If Mike is feeling something like the defense cant stop our run,or pass, do you think they are communicating with each other? As in telling his OC that he wants a steady dose of one or the other. I know from Mikes past he relies on the run to open up the pass from Denver. albeit he had a better qb. But how much input do you think he has with Kyle with the play calling and game planning? Think he's being a mentor or more or less letting Kyle learn on the job? Logic says he'd be a mentor to his son, but sometimes the play calling seems so unlike Mike.

It is frustrating. I see teams all over the NFL make big plays and anytime we score, it seems we "plod" our way down the field. I look at highlights all the time and say, "why can't we ever do something like that?" I miss the 1991 Redskins.

Me too!

Archived