Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Insider: Fred Davis, Rex Grossman get in work during bye

#98QBKiller

Thanks to Haphazard for posting this in the news section, but I haven't heard any discussion of it over here in the Stadium. This is great news IMO. It's awesome that Sleepy is focused on improving his game and winning and it's also awesome because a big day between Davis and Grossman (along with a strong running game) could be a big part of beating the Eagles this weekend.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/fred-davis-rex-grossman-get-in-work-during-bye/2011/10/10/gIQA1X4jbL_blog.html

Fred Davis, Rex Grossman get in work during bye

By Mike Jones

While most of his teammates scattered across the country, getting some rest and recovery in their home towns during the bye week, tight end Fred Davis decided to remain in the area and continued to report to Redskins Park to receive treatment for various bumps and bruises.

The tight end was happy to learn that quarterback Rex Grossman decided to do the same thing, and the two took advantage of the opportunity to get in some throwing and catching.

“It was just working on things we’re going to put in this week, running the same routes we always run and just working on not losing a step,” Davis said Monday after his team’s first practice following the bye.

Davis started off the season by leading Washington in catches and receiving yards, but in the last two games hasn’t been much of a factor. Davis said the reduction in activity had more to do with the Redskins’ play selection than it did with how defenses are planning for him.

But regardless, he wanted to continue to work and remain keyed in both mentally and physically.

“Just for me, because I’m more of a guy that’s like, bye weeks are good, but when you’re on a mission to win, you want to do as much as you can to help your team,” Davis said. “I figured, stay here, do some extra work. Rex was here, surprisingly, so we just threw it, got some work in together. … I contribute as much as I can whether it’s blocking or catching passes or making blocks for the running back, and if it’s a big catch downfield, I’ll do that too.”

Like Ive said in other threads, I really think that with Armstrong playing (even though he is listed as questionable) Davis will get quite a few more looks. If AA can stretch the field then Davis should be open in the flats. Fred's production in the last 2 games dropped off dramatically and so did our overall passing attack. Davis is going to be key to us getting a win.

Hasnt he stayed in town the past 2 years as well?

I know he stayed when Chris broke his ankle and worked on his blocking mechanics but did he stay last year too?

Either way im glad he stayed in town to work on some routes. Hopefully he has a chance to get down field and make a big play this offense seems to be lacking

Love the work ethic. Hate the to see the comment about playcalling and production.

That he would say it or that our play calling hasn't gotten him the ball? I didn't take it as a shot at the playcaller at all if that's what you were thinking. It seemed to me just that situations just dictated pass plays to other recievers. Didn't seem like a complaint.

I don't like his comment that he's been MIA the past 2 games, not because of teams gameplanning for him, but because of playcalling. I feel like Kyle Shanahan has been calling some terrible games lately, and we've been winning in spite of him. He gets too cute, and goes away from what's working. He tries to get too cute, and often times doesn't attack the defense where it's hurt (DB's all hurt? Let's run the ball! DL hurt? Pass away!) or weak.

I don't like his comment that he's been MIA the past 2 games, not because of teams gameplanning for him, but because of playcalling. I feel like Kyle Shanahan has been calling some terrible games lately, and we've been winning in spite of him. He gets too cute, and goes away from what's working. He tries to get too cute, and often times doesn't attack the defense where it's hurt (DB's all hurt? Let's run the ball! DL hurt? Pass away!) or weak.

I noticed a lot of similarities with Kyle's playcalling and that of Atlanta's during the Falcons v Packers game, I think Kyle's biggest issue is he outcalls his talent. Ex. those no back sets he calls on 1st and second down only work when you have playmaking receivers and a franchise qb. I like his calls he just needs to learn that we just don't have the talent on offense to execute them.

Love the work ethic. Hate the to see the comment about playcalling and production.
I'm not sure why Davis' comment has to be taken as only being negative here. Davis could have just been saying that the Redskins offensive schemes simply did not include him the past couple of games. He didn't say anything about "production". He said reduction.

That he would say it or that our play calling hasn't gotten him the ball? I didn't take it as a shot at the playcaller at all if that's what you were thinking. It seemed to me just that situations just dictated pass plays to other recievers. Didn't seem like a complaint.

I would like to see him get the ball more.

---------- Post added October-15th-2011 at 01:25 PM ----------

I'm not sure why Davis' comment has to be taken as only being negative here. Davis could have just been saying that the Redskins offensive schemes simply did not include him the past couple of games. He didn't say anything about "production". He said reduction.

Coincidence in the production of the offense also dropping.

When Davis was drafted, I questioned the pick. Mind you, I knew he was a good player, but we had just picked two receivers in Thomas and Kelly. We also had a great TE in Cooley.

Now Davis has emerged as our best pick of that draft. And it isn't even close. At. All.

When Davis was drafted, I questioned the pick. Mind you, I knew he was a good player, but we had just picked two receivers in Thomas and Kelly. We also had a great TE in Cooley.

Now Davis has emerged as our best pick of that draft. And it isn't even close. At. All.

Well, to be fair, it wasn't much of a draft. Typical Vinny picks.

Davis has turned out to be a good pick, though.

I really get annoyed when seeing fans, who know almost nothing in comparison, say how a coach is doing a bad job of playcalling. Just leave him alone and let him run his offense. He knows what he's doing and it's his job to fix whatever he's doing wrong.

Archived