Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wapo- Sponsor of Tennessee guns in bars bill charged with having a gun while driving drunk

@DCGoldPants

From the "Duh, we knew this was going to happen" files

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/sponsor-of-tennessee-guns-in-bars-bill-charged-with-having-a-gun-while-driving-drunk/2011/10/12/gIQAd0w2eL_story.html

Sponsor of Tennessee guns in bars bill charged with having a gun while driving drunk

By Associated Press, Updated: Wednesday, October 12, 9:26 AM

lawmaker%20gun%20arrest--1658288021_v2.grid-4x2.jpg

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee state Rep. Curry Todd, a lead sponsor of a law allowing handgun carry permit holders to bring guns into bars, has been arrested on charges of drunken driving and possession of a gun while under the influence.

Police say in court documents that the Collierville Republican was pulled over in Nashville late Tuesday. He allegedly failed a roadside sobriety test and refused to take a breathalyzer. A loaded Smith & Wesson 38 Special was found in a holster stuffed between the driver seat and the center console.

The name of a lawyer for Todd, who is a former Memphis police officer, could not immediately be located. A spokesman for the House Republican Caucus had no immediate comment on the arrest.

Todd’s arrest was first reported by WSMV-TV.

I can't believe its illegal to play with a loaded gun when you're trashed on alcohol. The constitution doesn't explicitly state that restriction so it must be unconstitutional. :silly:

Go tell the thousands of country boys on private property that it's illegal. I'm sure they'll all start dying any minute now.

As for this guy, if anyone should have known better it's him. Throw the book at him.

So you knew that the sponsor of the bill that allowed a TN Handgun Permit Holder to take a weapon into a business that serves alcohol, was going to get pulled over for DUI and would have a weapon in his vehicle, damn that pretty good intel you have maybe you can help stop other people doing the same. Look was he stupid yup, should he get slammed yup, but his actions have no relation to the bill he sponsored ( I saw no mention of him drinking in a bar or other establishment prior to his arrest, could have just been running out for another six-pack) there are thousands of TN Handgun Permit Holders who do it right but you want to take a shot. I'd say if I was a betting man you are more at risk from the drunk dumbass behind the wheel than from the gun stuffed between the car seats which he probably couldn't reach in the first place but what do I know.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/18/curry-todd-dui-resignation_n_1017260.html

Curry Todd, Controversial Tennessee State Lawmaker, Resigns Committee Post After DUI Arrest

FRANKLIN, Tenn. -- The state lawmaker who led Tennessee to loosen laws that kept handguns out of bars gave up his chairmanship of an influential state House committee, fallout from his arrest last week on charges of driving and carrying a gun while drunk.

Republican Rep. Curry Todd said in a statement Monday that he won't chair the House State and Local Government Committee while his case is pending. His committee handled most alcohol bills and many other proposals affecting Tennessee cities and counties.

Authorities say Todd, a former Memphis police officer, was arrested in Nashville on Oct. 11 after failing a roadside sobriety test. A loaded .38-caliber gun was in his car.

Todd, who has a handgun permit, was charged with possession of a gun while under the influence and drunken driving.

So you knew that the sponsor of the bill that allowed a TN Handgun Permit Holder to take a weapon into a business that serves alcohol, was going to get pulled over for DUI and would have a weapon in his vehicle, damn that pretty good intel you have maybe you can help stop other people doing the same. Look was he stupid yup, should he get slammed yup, but his actions have no relation to the bill he sponsored ( I saw no mention of him drinking in a bar or other establishment prior to his arrest, could have just been running out for another six-pack) there are thousands of TN Handgun Permit Holders who do it right but you want to take a shot. I'd say if I was a betting man you are more at risk from the drunk dumbass behind the wheel than from the gun stuffed between the car seats which he probably couldn't reach in the first place but what do I know.

I dont have any issue with gun owners.. but allowing them to carry in bars is just asking for trouble.

People can't hold their liquor. And while one guy may use it to honorably defend himself, fifty other guys are going to use it because Junior over there looked at his girlfriend the wrong way, or someone bumped someone else, or someone's shoe got scuffed..or a million other reasons why morons start fights in bars.

As a gun rights advocate, you have to know that there has to be some limitation placed to protect the general public from the irresponsible, and alcohol has a way of turning otherwise responsible people into violent *******s.

~Bang

I dont have any issue with gun owners.. but allowing them to carry in bars is just asking for trouble.

People can't hold their liquor. And while one guy may use it to honorably defend himself, fifty other guys are going to use it because Junior over there looked at his girlfriend the wrong way, or someone bumped someone else, or someone's shoe got scuffed..or a million other reasons why morons start fights in bars.

As a gun rights advocate, you have to know that there has to be some limitation placed to protect the general public from the irresponsible, and alcohol has a way of turning otherwise responsible people into violent *******s.

~Bang

I agree with this 100%. Things happen at bars all the time and throwing guns into the mix is probably a very bad idea.

In Ohio you can now carry your concealed weapon in a bar as long as you have a permit and do not consume any alcohol. Of course there has already been one incident of a drunk patron waiving his gun around and the law is only a month old :)

Not sure of how Tennessee's law reads.

Bar owners do have the right to put up a sign stating "No Guns".

I can't imagine why a bar owner would WANT to allow people with guns in their establishment. Isn't that just asking for potential trouble? As cincyfan said, in Ohio the law says you can have one as long as you aren't consuming alcohol...but come on. Do you really think there won't be people who go to a bar while carrying and drink anyway?

~Bang

Since this law has been in effect there has not been a single incident like what you described above, in fact every shooting that has occurred in a bar near where I live (Clarksville the 5th largest city in TN) has been committed by a criminal. You have to follow certain rules while carrying in establishments that serve alcohol, first and foremost is you can not consume alcohol while carrying, I think and the stats so far bear me out that a person that is a Handgun Permit Holder understands and takes very seriously the responsibilities of carrying a weapon, more so than the idiot that gets behind the wheel after 5-6 drinks and kills or maims someone. Just for ****s and giggles I decided to check how many alcohol related incidents there has been since the law went into effect, unfortunately the stats for 2011 haven't been published yet but I'm willing to make some type of sig bet that more folks have died on TN roads due to alcohol than there have been shootings in bars (or outside) by drunk TN Handgun Permit Holders.

@mistertim the TN law allows the owners of an establishment to ban guns from their business, those businesses do not receive my patronage and they never will.

I'm willing to make some type of sig bet that more folks have died on TN roads due to alcohol than there have been shootings in bars (or outside) by drunk TN Handgun Permit Holders.

Is "Well, it hasn't killed as many people as drunk drivers" a good defense of the bill? I would stick to your claim that no one has died by the gun of TN handgun permit holder in a bar.

Since this law has been in effect there has not been a single incident like what you described above, in fact every shooting that has occurred in a bar near where I live (Clarksville the 5th largest city in TN) has been committed by a criminal. You have to follow certain rules while carrying in establishments that serve alcohol, first and foremost is you can not consume alcohol while carrying, I think and the stats so far bear me out that a person that is a Handgun Permit Holder understands and takes very seriously the responsibilities of carrying a weapon, more so than the idiot that gets behind the wheel after 5-6 drinks and kills or maims someone. Just for ****s and giggles I decided to check how many alcohol related incidents there has been since the law went into effect, unfortunately the stats for 2011 haven't been published yet but I'm willing to make some type of sig bet that more folks have died on TN roads due to alcohol than there have been shootings in bars (or outside) by drunk TN Handgun Permit Holders.

@mistertim the TN law allows the owners of an establishment to ban guns from their business, those businesses do not receive my patronage and they never will.

Every shooting has been committed by a criminal?

well, that's pretty obvious. I would say that the overwhelming majority of people who shoot someone else instantly become a criminal.

Nevermind.

alcohol and guns is a great idea.

Come on 2014.

~Bang

. . . I'm willing to make some type of sig bet that more folks have died on TN roads due to alcohol than there have been shootings in bars (or outside) by drunk TN Handgun Permit Holders.

All in favor of legalizing everything in the world that has killed less people in TN than drunk driving?

The point I'm trying to make is that you have more to fear from the dip**** sitting at the bar in Red Lobster have a "few ****tails" and myself sitting at my table with my wife enjoying my shrimp and lobster with a unsweetened ice tea and carrying my H&K .45c that you have no clue that I am carrying. I say again since this law has taken effect there has not been a single unlawful shooting (ie drunk) by a TN Handgun Permit Holder in or outside a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol

In other knews, he and his boyfriend are staunchly anti-gay marriage, and while he hates abortion, he does eat babies on weekends.

I wish these jackasses knew how bad they make the rest of us look by proxy.

---------- Post added October-18th-2011 at 08:27 PM ----------

~bang

i lawled. ;)

The point I'm trying to make is that you have more to fear from the dip**** sitting at the bar in Red Lobster have a "few ****tails" and myself sitting at my table with my wife enjoying my shrimp and lobster with a unsweetened ice tea and carrying my H&K .45c that you have no clue that I am carrying. I say again since this law has taken effect there has not been a single unlawful shooting (ie drunk) by a TN Handgun Permit Holder in or outside a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol

The point you are trying to make is that you really, really, REALLY love your guns.

It's the same point you always make. :)

(yes I am teasing you...)

Every shooting has been committed by a criminal?

well, that's pretty obvious. I would say that the overwhelming majority of people who shoot someone else instantly become a criminal.

Nevermind.

Come on 2014.

~Bang

Never said drinking alcohol and guns where a great idea, a Permit Holder is not allowed to drink while carrying so the alcohol is not in the picture for the permit holder, and I'm pretty sure you get what I mean about the criminal shooting piece, come on Bang your better than that. By the way 2014 won't change a damn thing down here very pro-gun and very conservative that's why I live here you can keep Md

---------- Post added October-18th-2011 at 07:31 PM ----------

The point you are trying to make is that you really, really, REALLY love your guns.

It's the same point you always make. :)

(yes I am teasing you...)

And you really really hate them, but I think we both know where we stand.

Wow that was fast. You had your response fired off in less than a minute!

And nah, I don't hate guns, but I sometimes worry about people that worship them.

I've heard something like that before. Something about Bibles and guns, or....I dunno. Maybe I dreamt it. ;)

Archived