Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Cooley's Blog: Reigniting a Rivalry

terrifNick21

Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet. :)

this is true, but perhaps your powers to infer really are weak

---------- Post added October-7th-2011 at 11:17 PM ----------

unfortunately if he had any powers of inference he would have recognized that :ols:

PS: Just ****ing with you Nick :)

ah, beat me to it

I'm 23, so this is a question for all the older Skins fans. Is Cooley approaching Riggins in terms of how much the fan base loves him? Has he passed it? They both seem like they're a fan's athlete.

No way. Riggins almost single-handedly carried the team through 3 playoff games in 1982 and then won the Superbowl for us with an iconic, unforgettable 42 yard run on 4th down. Plus he was a funny character off the field.

Cooley has been a great Redskin, but unfortunately has been playing in an era of deep Skins sucktitude.

I agree, but in the aggregate (which is to say including his own blog response in addition to the initial comments), it's not just silliness and fun. It's vindictive and childish, especially when he gets to the comment/response portion. The fact that he readily admits it doesn't save him.
Where do you see vindictiveness?

To me the most relevant thing here is that Chris Cooley gets the fact that he has an obligation to HIS TEAM's fans. He understands how much the fans want the team to win and how much it bothers fans when players sometimes don't care about winning as much as they care about preserving their relationship with other players (see the NBA for an example...).

How many times have you sat in front of the TV, heartbroken and disgusted at a Redskin loss and watched some highly paid players hugging their opponents, laughing and smiling. This is seconds after the game has ended. I understand good sportsmanship, etiquette and the need to set a good example and fully support those ideas, but the fact that there aren't more players so upset immediately after the game that they just quietly go to the locker room sort of amazes me. I expect the team, after a loss, to be bitter, angry and unapproachable. The time for smiling and graciousness is a few hours or days later, not seconds after the final gun.

Cooley gets that. No one is more accessible, entertaining, gracious, or fan friendly. He isn't someone who has incited lots of controversy in the past. He's not an attention-seeking T.O. sort.

I think he actually has an evolved view of his role as a player in terms of the media and the fanbase and hopefully, his fans can see that.

Captain Chaos being very blunt and honest. I love it!! He didnt say anything wrong and anybdoy who thinks otherwise is either a Skins hater or Cowturd lover, period. **** Romo sits to pee.

But on another note, im loving the new attitude the Skins seem to have this year. Seems like they are very confident, not ****y, but very confident and they are backing it up so far.

Captain Chaos starting something here I hope. Could be a throw back to the "good old days".

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20110921-memorable-moments-and-quotes-from-the-cowboys-redskins-rivalry.ece?ssimg=322483#ssStory324933

Former Cowboys linebacker Lee Roy Jordan on George Allen: "George had a real hate rivalry for us. "He used to say, 'If we can injure [Roger] Staubach, we have a chance to win.' He really made it intense. And I use that word because it's the only one you can print."

Former Cowboys defensive back Mel Renfro on Allen: "He was basically a crook. The Richard Nixon of football.''

Former Redskins offensive line coach Joe Bugel before a kickoff against Dallas: "(Ernie) Stautner, I'm going to kick your ...[expletive]!''

Redskins-Cowboys Rivalry Quotes

http://www.trufan.com/blog/50595/381457

"George Allen never used to say 'the Dallas Cowboys', it was always 'the *******d Dallas Cowboys.' It's the Cowboys' uniform. It strikes hate and loathing in my mind, almost in a Pavlovian sense."

"Die you dogs. Die you Dallas dogs." Sam Wyche

"Roger Staubach can't read defenses and wears skirts..."

- Ron McDole to the press, when asked about what he thought of the Cowboys quarterback

To me the most relevant thing here is that Chris Cooley gets the fact that he has an obligation to HIS TEAM's fans. He understands how much the fans want the team to win and how much it bothers fans when players sometimes don't care about winning as much as they care about preserving their relationship with other players (see the NBA for an example...).

How many times have you sat in front of the TV, heartbroken and disgusted at a Redskin loss and watched some highly paid players hugging their opponents, laughing and smiling. This is seconds after the game has ended. I understand good sportsmanship, etiquette and the need to set a good example and fully support those ideas, but the fact that there aren't more players so upset immediately after the game that they just quietly go to the locker room sort of amazes me. I expect the team, after a loss, to be bitter, angry and unapproachable. The time for smiling and graciousness is a few hours or days later, not seconds after the final gun.

Cooley gets that. No one is more accessible, entertaining, gracious, or fan friendly. He isn't someone who has incited lots of controversy in the past. He's not an attention-seeking T.O. sort.

I think he actually has an evolved view of his role as a player in terms of the media and the fanbase and hopefully, his fans can see that.

Sean had the same hatred for dallas. Aside from losing potentially one of the greatest safeties the NFL has seen the Redskins also lost someone who personally loved to punish our division rivals, and especially dallas. I wonder if Joe instilled it in them both their first year in 04.

Archived