Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American Horror Story (Spoilers Inside)

Destructis

That's awesome. I can't get into long-running TV series' with a continuous plot. Might have to check this out on Netflix.

My wife and I are 7 episodes into season 1.  It's fantastic!  (12 episodes total)

I'm happy to learn that each season is a different story b/c season 2 is not on netflix yet.  We're DVR'ing season3 right now.

Trying not to read too much due to the "spoilers" deal, but I saw most of Season 1, liked it,  but none of season 2 beyond random clips and people chatter. I just caught the premier of this season and thought it had promise, though the "supernatural" themed series in general have quickly become about as worn-out a genre as the crime procedural drama.

This is one to me that offers such a high-grade and creative manifestation that it stands out, as I thought The Bridge did as a new "crime show." 

But not really being a follower yet, I didn't know whether repeating cast members played "spirits" of some sort living out different incarnations in each season's setting, or if it was just completely new unrelated story-lines each season and Lange et al are simply among the ensemble each season with no connections to previous characters or a larger over-arching plot. It seems the latter is the case.

Sigh. I take so much of my time invested in TV as a sign of age slowly eroding my interest in making more productive choices. To paraphrase Wordsworth: "The TV is too much with me."  :)

Trying not to read too much due to the "spoilers" deal, but I saw most of Season 1, liked it,  but none of season 2 beyond random clips and people chatter. I just caught the premier of this season and thought it had promise, though the "supernatural" themed series in general have quickly become about as worn-out a genre as the crime procedural drama.

This is one to me that offers such a high-grade and creative manifestation that it stands out, as I thought The Bridge did as a new "crime show." 

But not really being a follower yet, I didn't know whether repeating cast members played "spirits" of some sort living out different incarnations in each season's setting, or if it was just completely new unrelated story-lines each season and Lange et al are simply among the ensemble each season with no connections to previous characters or a larger over-arching plot. It seems the latter is the case.

Sigh. I take so much of my time invested in TV as a sign of age slowly eroding my interest in making more productive choices. To paraphrase Wordsworth: "The TV is too much with me."  :)

As it stands right now, every season is different. NO ties to the previous season.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/10/coven-ahs-ratings/

FX’s American Horror Story: Coven launched Wednesday night to the anthology franchise’s biggest audience ever. The debut was seen by 5.5 million viewers, up 44 percent from last year’s American Horror Story: Asylum. The episode also delivered a 3.0 rating among adults 18-49 — up roughly 90 percent from last fall and topping everything on broadcast last night except ABC’s Modern Family. If you add the show’s first encore, AHS had a total of 7.8 million.

I thought this season premiere was pretty awesome.

As others have already said, it's definitely setting a very different overall tone from the first two seasons, but one that I really like the idea of, especially for this sort of setting.

The creepy supernatural vibe obviously fit well with the "haunted house" idea of the first season, and although last season got kind of crazy, I still really liked the parallel storylines of aliens and a serial killer revolving around a twisted insane asylum.

For witches, voodoo, and zombies (?), set in New Orleans, they seem to be going with more of a straight up "fun" approach, not quite bordering on camp, but definitely leaning more towards that direction than the extreme self-seriousness of the first season (which in the end, killed my overall enjoyment of that season).

I like seeing Sarah Paulson with a character who's stronger and more confident from the start, I like Taissa Farmiga returning as the lead role, I like Emma Roberts's movie star diva character, and I'm excited to see Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett start chewing up some scenery.

And yes, Jessica Lange, even at her age, is still a very fine woman (which they seem to really be willing to play up for this season).

I don't know about this season quite yet.

It's not nearly as deranged as past seasons and centers on all female leads with no real male leads to speak of which could go either way. I wasn't super impressed with the premiere but I'll keep watching and hope I get drawn in.

I sure as hell hope that the main girl's power isn't just to kill dudes who stick their wang in the bad spot.

Great first episode for Season 3.  Kathy Bates' character is going to be one sick ****; at least I think she will.

Glad to see the girl who played the daugther in season 1 in season 3. 

The Coven is repeating now.

I think season 3 is going to be better than Season 2.

The girl is Jamie Brewer a friend of my Step Son.

• 2 weeks later...

I always considered this a fun show to watch.  Last season did get a bit crazy but still watchable.  I like the approach this season; a focus on magic and some supernatural elements thrown in.  And their ability to shock has not diminished looking at all the things they have shown in just 3 episodes alone.  Jessica Lange is making her presence even stronger in this one somehow.

Last night's episode was pretty cool. It's odd that the girl from season one (Zoe) is hardly part of the plot right now. The first episode painted her to be the main character. I suppose she still could be...next Supreme maybe?

I like the serial killer angle with the husband. The zombies are a little funny to me, but still cool and very AHS. The only story line that bores me is the Frankenstein one. Pretty dumb to this point.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the show has in store for Zoe and Kyle. 

Zoe seems kind of dumb so far and keeps making bad decisions.

Maybe it's supposed to highlight her naiveté.

I want to see more of Misty, but I think Lily Rabe is only in 8 episodes this season.

But anyway the episode was really good except for the somewhat weird rat poison situation, lol.

Next episode looks great too.  I wonder what the husband is up to and who threw acid at Cordelia.

(the obvious answer would be the voodoo lady, but I'm not sure)

I've seen a lot of push back about the direction this season is going, which is weird to me since it's only the 4th episode.  It's only about 1/3rd of the way through the season; plenty of time yet to fill plot holes in and keep exploring characters.

Although I think American Horror Story doesn't do itself any favors when it has episodes like this past week's, where a million crazy things happen between all of the characters, so when there IS a quieter, more story-driven episode, it seems "boring" in comparison.  The series definitely finds itself shifting gears a bit too often.

My guess is that the red haired witch who hates Jessica Lange is the one who threw acid on Cordelia, and she's the person being burned at a stake from the preview of next week's episode.

I have an irrational fear of acid falling on/being thrown on me, so that scene was disturbing.

The zombies are neat so far - I thought the story of them being used to kill the racist white guys who lynched that black kid was an interesting mini-story, and I like how it seems as though they can't be killed simply be shooting them in the head or damaging their brains like traditional zombies.

I also think Kathy Bates' character is just laying low for the moment as she adjusts to life and society centuries after her own time, but she's going to become her own force of nature by the end of the season (perhaps Jessica Lange finds a way to fight off aging and become immortal, but ends up trapped in a box and buried alive the way Kathy's character did?).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived