Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Fat Albert be made today

Burgold

Completely random and silly thought, but it occurred to me that Fat Albert could never be aired today with the name "Fat Albert" The creators and Bill Cosby would be harrassed and sued into non existance by groups that would be offended by the title. No one would bother to watch an episode, see what it's about or that the character was well loved and not even teased for his size and what a sad world without

Hey, hey, hey...

What a fun show. Great memories of watching that. :)

6WT-fxBNKs8

Sadly you're correct. And you can imagine the debate here in Tailgate.

"I think that ______has a point. It is kind of degrading to call a young person something like that. I mean how do they know that isn't a genetic problem or something. Kids can be mean you know."

"This is the parents fault for sure. Kid the ipod out of his hands,feed him right,and kick him outside."

"****ing Libs/Rbumblecans..."

"How about stopping eating candy and getting some dam exercise kid? Cripes I'm a virtual adonis it isn't that hard."

Or something like that. :silly:

Of course it could be made today, but Albert would be perpetually on a diet and never seen eating anything but celery. His weight would be the focus of the show and to get to the magic 100th episode he would suddenly get skinny between seasons 4 & 5. At which point people would claim that it had jumped the shark and quit watching. Finally to drain the last ounces of the show the producers would let us know that he lost all weight because of bulimia and season 6 would be "very special".

Of course it could be made today, but Albert would be perpetually on a diet and never seen eating anything but celery. His weight would be the focus of the show and to get to the magic 100th episode he would suddenly get skinny between seasons 4 & 5. At which point people would claim that it had jumped the shark and quit watching. Finally to drain the last ounces of the show the producers would let us know that he lost all weight because of bulimia and season 6 would be "very special".

:ols: Oh that is rich.

Didn't a bunch of "heavy" advocates complain about The Biggest Loser when it first started airing, because it might make severly overweight people feel bad about themselves? Haven't there been talk shows and the like glorifying "Big is Beautiful?" That attitude disgusts me. I don't have a problem with overweight people, I have close friends who aren't in top shape, but I'll be damned if I'm ever going to pretend like they aren't hurting themselves in the long run.

I mean hell, take one of my closest friends. Great guy, nicest person you could ever meet. Was an O-Lineman in HS and walked on at Virginia Tech for a year. Driven and smart, recently married, nice house, he's my age (31) and already a GS-15 equivalent in the government. He has so much going for him.

He's also pushing close to 400 pounds and his knees hurt constantly. He and I talked about this at the beach last summer, and I was honest with him. He had built a great career and a nice life, but he's going to be dead before he has a chance to enjoy it. He puts in too many hours (at least 12 most days) and eats out too much because he's constantly in meetings or having to travel to oversee operations for his job. I told him that straight up. What good would it have done him for me to tell him it's okay? None...and that's why I have a hard time stomaching (no pun) these advocacy groups; it does the people no good to be sheltered from reality.

I'm not a big Reality TV guy, but from a cultural/change standpoint, I think The Biggest Loser has been a huge success, and a great idea. I wish they would slip the blatant advertisements in, but other than that, applause from me.

I'm not a big Reality TV guy, but from a cultural/change standpoint, I think The Biggest Loser has been a huge success, and a great idea. I wish they would slip the blatant advertisements in, but other than that, applause from me.

I got into Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition more than Biggest Loser and it's great. The trainer pushes these people but also serves as a therapist in many ways. They follow each person's one-year makeover over the course of a one-hour show. It's quite good and pretty inspiring.

They'd never do it today. They probably would have him playing football, he'd hate to play it, but it gave him lots of money & he could eat lots of food. Each episode would have him trying to get over on some authority figure, say a coach or something. Then he would find funny ways of goofing up during the games...and...hey...waitaminute...

I wish as a culture we were as opinionated and pro-active against traits like willful stupidity, shallowness, hypocrisy, and the wonderfully pervasive and severely over-indulged penchant of having an eagle eye for noting flaws in others while being as blind as a bat to our own, as we are about being fat.

But glad I'm not fat. :D :pfft:

I do notice as the years advance that the fairly impressive abs of yesteryear seem to taking cover under a slightly <cough> padded and definitely softer exterior in that region. :(

So' date=' okay, explain Cartman.

Seriously, where are all these politically correct cartoons that all of you are watching?

Family Guy is still a hit and it features a pedophile and a sex addict.[/quote']

It's the intended audience. Those shows are intended for adults and broadcast at a time adults would be watching.

Fat Albert was intended for kids and broadcast with the Saturday morning cartoons.

To make it today they'd have to make it as a show for adults and put it in a timeslot intended for adult audiences, it could no longer be a kids show.

I wish as a culture we were as opinionated and pro-active against traits like willful stupidity, shallowness, hypocrisy, and the wonderfully pervasive and severely over-indulged penchant of having an eagle eye for noting flaws in others while being as blind as a bat to our own, as we are about being fat.

But glad I'm not fat. :D :pfft:

I do notice as the years advance that the fairly impressive abs of yesteryear seem to taking cover under a slightly <cough> padded and definitely softer exterior in that region. :(

I can happily say that I went the other direction! Fat my whole life (with a few exceptions) and now am weighing in 15 lbs less than when I left HS. But age has hit me anyway, knees are always sore, a hip that acts up when its cold and general fatigue is ever present.

Family Guy is still a hit and it features a pedophile and a sex addict.

Well, yeah, because if you add chemcial dependence, physical and emotional abuse, ignorance, terminal self-centeredness, perpetually self-inflating ego, and a dedication to all that is materially accumulated as a measure of true worth, you have an honest portrayal of true family values in the USA. Screw that mythical Ward & June & the boys bull****. :)

:evilg: :ols:

It's the intended audience. Those shows are intended for adults and broadcast at a time adults would be watching.

Fat Albert was intended for kids and broadcast with the Saturday morning cartoons.

To make it today they'd have to make it as a show for adults and put it in a timeslot intended for adult audiences, it could no longer be a kids show.

The issue you would have with it is that it was a cartoon aimed at slightly older kids. And there really isn't any kind of market for those shows now.

I think you could put it on Nick Jr with only a few minor changes. The only character that I could truly see as disappearing is Mushmouth.

high_horse.jpg?w=500&h=375

I can happily say that I went the other direction! Fat my whole life (with a few exceptions) and now am weighing in 15 lbs less than when I left HS. But age has hit me anyway, knees are always sore, a hip that acts up when its cold and general fatigue is ever present.

Those are among the many many reasons I always smirk at just the term "Intelligent Design" as a choice of description for a force from a source the proponents would revere no matter how severe. Sorry, the last four words in that sentence don't fit but I was busting into a rap.

I would go with stuff like:

"Maddening Design"

"Ironic Design"

"Incompetent Design"

"**** You Design"

or

"Let Me Teach You All A Whole ****load of Hard Lessons Design"

This parallels how insulting I aways thought it was to claim that some supreme and caring entity "made us in his/her/their/its image." Do they really believe such an entity would be that messed up?

---------- Post added September-29th-2011 at 11:07 AM ----------

In a livestock related matter, Forehead, that post made me think of something about bulls and horns for some reason. :evilg:

Archived