Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defending Rex Grossman

nachol

Right - Rex is Rex.. .we all know this.

It doesnt mean we cant ***** when he sucks it up.

The team with the better QB - even at 60% - won last night.

that really sucks.

going in i think we all knew rex was going to lose us a couple games this year with his turnovers. hopefully this was just one of those things that needed to happen and he can save game losing fumbles for non-conference opponents when we already have a playoff berth locked up.

Yes, Rex wasn't the reason the Bears got to the SB, but the Bears had the second most improved offense that year in the NFL, his first full year, behind the Saints.

And I always love the turnover criticism. In the NFL, bad shotgun snaps are always the fault of the center but bad over the center snaps are the fault of the QB. Rex, who I believe prefers the shot gun, was forced to play very little shot gun in Chicago, which drove his fumble numbers up with a center with notorious snapping problems with the other QBs too.

But Chicago is the past. For 2011 (three games), if you were to total sacks, fumbles and INTs for many vet QBs, the numbers would look like this:

Rodgers 6

Brees 8

Hasselbeck 8

Schaub 9

Flacco 11

Romo sits to pee 11 (should be more but he's real lucky)

Vick 13

REX GROSSMAN 13

Eli 13 (he's averaged at least 1 int per game for five years in his career)

Orton 13

Rivers 14

Sanchez 15

Big Ben 17

Ryan 20

Cutler 20 (Rex's former team)

Rex has 3 interceptions (one of which was not his fault), 2 fumbles and 8 sacks thru three games.

It certainly is not time to toss Rex out. People are just reacting. Rex has much to work on still, inherent limitations and positive qualities notwithstanding, as does the entire team/staff.

But right now it's reaction time for fans. If we were to thump the rams and some of our divisional rivals lose next week, the same folk would be reacting over the top in the other direction, generally speaking. If Rex had a particularly great game, they would do the same regarding that specific matter too.

I don't agree with a lot of the OP's points but I do agree that Rex is all we have. Dallas is no bottom feeder on defense. They can play with the best of them and that was before they got Ryan as a coordinator. Give em some credit. They have a strong front 7 and decent secondary. We didn't and couldn't establish a running game and our blocking wasn't up to par last night on pass protection. All of that combined to make a tough defensive battle. I think we need to re group and stay the course and I'm sure the results will be different against a lesser opponent in the Rams. This is a team we should have beaten last year and I'm sure Shannahan won't let them forget it. This is a team they are capable of beating and they don't even need to change all that much to make it happen. Control the clock, establish a run, and Rex and the offense will be fine.

You said:

"But before we bury Rex with all this knee-jerk panic caused by the Cowboys game, let's take a few things into consideration.

For one, can anyone name the last time Rex started a meaningful game on the road? I'll give you some time to look it up..........that's right, it was in 2007, one year after he went to the Super Bowl with the Chicago Bears. It's been four years since Rex has had to play a big game on the road, and he happens to get the hated Dallas Cowboys on Monday Night. No pressure or anything."

I'm saying that I dont buy that excuse. If you can lead a team to the Super Bowl, Monday night football shouldnt be a big deal. According to your statement above, it sounds like you are excusing him. Thats all Im saying.

I hear ya, but you used the word "led" twice and put it in quotes, and I never used that word, hence the misquote comment.

But anyway, you're completely right that a player that played in a Super Bowl shouldn't have a problem playing a Monday Night game. My point was simply to state that it's been a good four years since Rex has had to face that kind of an atmosphere. That's a long time. I don't think it's inconceivable to think that he was a little rattled and maybe a bit rusty from having to deal with the pressure of a big road game. You might think that's a silly point, but I think it had a big impact. He looked off all game.

I'm curious what happens if Rex has a rough game at St Louis.

it's weird because we have our bye week so early. if you're going to play beck then you'd want to give him the bye, but even losing to the rams wouldn't put us out of contention so it just seems like a hard decision to make. and if you make it you have to leave beck out there for good or worse barring injury and know that grossman isn't going to be back next year.

seems like an awful big leap to make after 1/4 of the season.

Yes we need to relax. Rex knows this offense and is the best we have at the moment until we pick a future field general next year. Sure bad Rex will pop up and he did at times last night, but hey we had five awful years of Jason Campbell and the majority seemed okay with it while blaming the playbook each year. :rolleyes:.

The Redskins are 2-1 and will soon be 3-1. This team has heart and will rebound next week. HAIL.

Defending Grossman is easy. You simply take away the middle of the field and pressure him from the blindside. You make him beat you on the sidelines and......wait, that's not what this thread is about? Oops. My bad.

So far I can't say I'm shocked at what Grossman has done this year. He's got as many TDs as TOs, he looked good one game, mediocre one game, and bad one game. Despite what some on this site my have attempted to claim at one time or another, there weren't a whole hell of a lot of Redskins fans who thought Rex was elite. You hope his mistakes don't sink you, and you wait for the game where he catches fire for a few drives.

Most of this year, I've held my breath when he dropped back to pass; I almost passed out last night. Does he have ANY mobility, that pocket closes in around him just way too fast and it looks like he's getting relatively decent protection.

I'm selling my Rex stock for a ham sammich..anyone?

Defending Grossman is easy. You simply take away the middle of the field and pressure him from the blindside. You make him beat you on the sidelines and......

That's not a very insightful comment. It's true about any quarterback in the league. Wow, why didn't all the defensive coordinators realize that they should be pressuring the QB from the blindside??? Why, it sounds so easy!

Rex isn't so bad, in reality. At least he (and Kyle Shanahan) have an aggressive play-to-win attitude, and they make the Redskins fun to watch again. It's been decades since we've been fun to watch.

Rex is not the answer as he averages one fumble and one interception and it is time to change now.

You can't move away from Rex until you are sure that you can't make the playoffs with him. I'm fairly sure he'll have to have at least two more poor games before the coaches seriously consider replacing him with Beck for the long haul. It wouldn't be too out of character for Mike Shanahan to pull Rex from a game if he looks especially awful from the early going, though.

Rex doesn't need any defenders what he needs is to perform. He is EXPECTED to play well against the Rams. What he needs to show if he likes to be the starting QB is that he can play well in the games that matter the most, division games. So far he has one good game and one bad game. Now if he lays and egg and we lose to the Rams... he should start shopping around for cool clip boards. If you want to be a decent football team you have to have standards. The only reason Rex starts over Beck is because he's better NOW while Beck is inexperienced but though to have more upside. If he proves that he is horrible right now then there is no reason for him to remain the starter. That simple.

Rex has physical limitations that will prevent him from ever being a top tier guy. His arm strength is average and he can't run.

But he's better than his rep and is our best bet to hold down the fort until we draft a guy with better physical skills and groom him in this system. Jon Beck isn't the answer, folks. He's almost as old as Rex and the game hasn't slowed down for him.

I think Rex is actually better when Kyle calls an aggressive game. He gets in a rhythm and he really starts spinning it.

Also, Dallas has a damn good D and when the refs don't call offsides on Ware it's even better.

Fans are always hypercritical of the QBS on their team. If you watched every game, you'd see how worse off we could be than Rex.

I'm more ticked off at Hasslett and his 2 all out blitzes in a row.. they needed TWENTY ONE yards and this moron calls blitzes like he's playign Madden. This isn't the UFL anymore, when you're up against Dez Bryant and Tony Romo sits to pee and you're relentlessly sending the house...well you see what happens. Completely a bone-headed thing to do, he better damn well learn his lesson from that.

He didn't learn his lesson because he did it last year vs. Houston and didn't think that "hey, maybe I can send ONE guy and double their man-beast wideout and balance out the need for pressure with the need for coverage." And that was on a fourth down and long and that happened.

I doubt he'll learn his lesson, honestly.

Fans are always hypercritical of the QBS on their team. If you watched every game, you'd see how worse off we could be than Rex.

Off the top of my head, there's probably no more than 10 teams worst of at the QB position than we are.

He didn't learn his lesson because he did it last year vs. Houston and didn't think that "hey, maybe I can send ONE guy and double their man-beast wideout and balance out the need for pressure with the need for coverage." And that was on a fourth down and long and that happened.

I doubt he'll learn his lesson, honestly.

and what exactly had dez done to that point to make you fear him? 3 catches for 30 yards?

yeah we should dedicate our defense to stopping that unstoppable force instead of rushing against a center (or qb) who can't get the snap count right, a qb who is injured and has thrown the ball early to avoid getting hit most of the game, and receivers who can't even line up right.

hindsight is great, but if dhall is half the player that he pretends to be then he should be able to cover a guy who hasn't done a damn thing all game. but instead he tried to jump the route and be a hero instead of doing his job and going for the breakup or sure tackle.

and what exactly had dez done to that point to make you fear him? 3 catches for 30 yards?

hindsight is great, but if dhall is half the player that he pretends to be then he should be able to cover a guy who hasn't done a damn thing all game. but instead he tried to jump the route and be a hero instead of doing his job and going for the breakup or sure tackle.

No, Hall had coverage, the play went on longer than it is supposed to. You blame Hall but the play wasn't supposed to carry on that long. You can't cover people like that when the QB extends the play, that's why the Vicks, Big Bens are so effective, even when their receivers are well covered.

As for Bryant, it's not what he 'had done' but what he could do isolated on a CB that is the issue. If you are going to sit there and deny Bryant's athletic ability, then there is no point. It's like talking about Fitzgerald and what he did last week before his big catch.

Blitzing has a place, blitzing even would have had a place on 3rd and 7. Showing an eight-man front and blitzing on 3rd and 21 is idiotic. We did this vs. Houston last year and it bit us in the bum. If you can't get to the QB, you are going to get burned. If you keep things in front of you, you can break up the attempt or tackle in front of the first down marker.

Rex is not the answer as he averages one fumble and one interception and it is time to change now.

Tom Brady averages nearly 2 ints a game this year. Should the pats bench him?

Come on, 4 picks against the Bills? That guy must really sucks.

Way to easy to throw Grossman under the bus after 2 wins and 1 loss and a fumble late in the game we lost?

Who was that Cards guy that fumble against us and gave us the game? Was it its fault or a big play by our D?

Archived