Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defending Rex Grossman

nachol

Using a baseball analogy... that fumble that ended the last game was just Rexy being Rexy... Get it? Like Manny being Manny? To keep our sanity, we need to see the humor in our situation. I'm not a fan of drafting a franchise guy because of how terrible you have to be to draft high enough to get a QB with championship pedigree. I think the clever GM's take chances on guys who haven't quite opened eyes yet ala the saints signing Drew Brees or the texans trading for Matt Schaub. Either way you get a semi-proven guy without having to wait 2/3 years for them to develop like you would with a draft pick. As a matter of fact... Why not try out David Garrard? I like Beck and Shanny & Son obviously have confidence in Rex but why not bring in Garrard for the rest of the season and expose him to the offense and if he's a decent fit for the organization, let him compete for the job in the offseason? just a thought... Beck and Chokeman are respectable QB's but we're not exactly working with Sonny and Billy at this stage of the shanahan era.

Have you seen Garrard play?

Like against us last year?

When he threw picks that would make Rex blush?

And you know, lost to Rex?

Yeah, it would be a great move signing him. Especially considering how he's never taken one rep in this system before.

Good Lord. Folks are nuts. We are 2-1. Rex had a tough game against a very good defense. It happens to QBs who are way better than him.

I'm glad I'm not the only sane person around here.

And to those who keep using the "Good Rex, Bad Rex crap" and the oh "he's so inconsistent" cop out lets look at his performance in 6 starts thus far.

Last year: Cowboys (Rating of 93.4), Jags (Rating of 60), Giants (Rating of 88.8) This Year: Giants (Rating of 110.5), Cardinals (Rating of 74.9), Cowboys (Rating of 77.9) Average of 84.3

Since last year (6 total starts): 12 TD Passes, 7 Ints, 5 fumbles lost (Only 2 this year), 1,686 yards

Normalized over a 16 game season this is 32 TDs, 18 Ints, 13 Fumbles Lost, 4496 yards.

What the stats tell me is that Rex Grossman is a high risk high reward QB not necessarily an inconsistent qb. Ball security can be taught. Based off last year, the only QBs to throw more than 32 tds were Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady and the only one to throw for more yards were Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, and Phillip Rivers.

I have mixed feeling about Rex, but overall he has done fairly well. It's just gonna be a game to game venture. I like Beck, I think he has better distance on his long passes, but obviously the Shanahans see Rex as the man for the job. The only thing Rex scares me on is his sluggish execution on getting out of the pocket when pressured. He is a smart QB, he just needs to put a little more mustard on the ball sometimes.

---------- Post added September-28th-2011 at 09:49 PM ----------

i agree with you 100 percent. it was a bitter pill of a game, but let's move on and trample the rams.

Since last year (6 total starts): 12 TD Passes, 7 Ints, 5 fumbles lost (Only 2 this year), 1,686 yards

Normalized over a 16 game season this is 32 TDs, 18 Ints, 13 Fumbles Lost, 4496 yards.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If Rex starts every game, there is a damn good chance he owns every single season Redskin passing record by year's end.

The guy definitely isn't perfect, but people are really, really tough on him.

Yeah, really tough on him. I'm wondering what would they say about MR if ES existed back since. It would be pretty interesting.

I don't care much about people doing mistakes, that happen to everyone. Do they happen more with Grossman than any other QB in the NFL? I dare to say no. We just focus on them more because well, he's our QB.

After 3 weeks he's doing good. Hopefully the guy's smart enough to not take much into what's said on him here and there and keep focus. So I'm not worrying.

It's been said, we know what we have. A guy that can get the job done, maybe not the best QB in the NFL right now, but we don't need the best to win. we need a team.

• 4 weeks later...

People have to understand Rex Grossman's style of play. The reason there were so many INTs during the Eagles game is because of bad RUNNING and PLAYCALLING. Teams know Rex is a strictly POCKET QB and defenses WILL fall back if they know the D-Line and stop the run. We need TRUE throwing plays for Rex and STOP HIDING like we gonna trick somebody. Either throw the darn ball or run it. I love the playaction, but it takes too much time in the pocket to develop. I like trick plays too, but trick plays means the defense is better, right?????

We need to start Halu cause he's quicker and can cut threw the gaps..

Coach Kyle needs to choose BETTER plays, he's been struggling ever since the Cowboys game with these compact plays that don't spread the field. We need 5 WIDE OFFENSE with Grossman so he can at least read a blitz or make ACCURATE short passes. BECK doesn't have the throwing power like Rex PLAN AND SIMPLE, Beck is throwing behind WRs a lot. He also really doesn't know as many plays at all!! I saw the same plays over and over which is way too repetitive for a GOOD defense like the BILLS, okay??? He can scramble, but come on, he's running the ball cause he's not able to hit the targets. If a MLB spied Beck it would be horrid. Beck started over Rex, he didn't win, HASN'T won (1-16 career). I mean if you folks are all into stats and QB rating that's the BIG one. Rex got sick, Beck would've started anyway and we lost by 13.

We can still WIN this division but we need to trust our original concept and not panic and make fan pressured decisions. REX is our guy, we really need the media to treat him with some respect and understand he's the real deal. We got some injuries but REX's leadership and swag can get us to the playoffs.

This thought could have gone in any of the numerous crappy threads already littering the front page of this board.

Also see:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?357051-Read-more-Post-Less

---------- Post added October-24th-2011 at 03:57 PM ----------

so im summary:

lets bring rex back and start halu

paloffs is now!

Since his font size is bigger, he must REALLY be telling the truth!

Umm.. Rex has been in the league for years. he's always been hot and cold, even with the Bears. He has no reason to be the starter on this team because Beck has more of an upside. We already know what Rex is capable of - throwing interceptions and fumbling at critical moments.

Sorry for being cliche, but Rex Grossman simply doesn't have the it factor to be starting QB in the NFL. College, sure. But NFL, nope.

Although my old ass eyes appreciate it, no need to capitalize every other word and crank the font size up...it all reads the same, poorly. Last I checked Rex is in the hospital with pneumonia and was crapping the bed on the field. I am sure "coach Kyle" will note and impliment your suggestions. Lasly, not sure this Halu guy is, I think we have rookie named Helu.

It's good that Beck is getting a little shine cause he's a PRO and deserves to get a chance during CAMP and Pre-Season. But in all seriousness, #8 is gonna show a lot of haters what the deal is this coming season. I think the Redskins are going to see what talent this dude actually has; Rex's downfall is that he's so impressive that his mistakes look bad. People just need to relax and let the game play out with Rex cause he's got some clutch. All the WRs need to trust his arm and not drop passes. But people can't be serious about starting Beck, I mean we don't have time for the games, we need to be 3-0 right from the start. Rex can do that because he's aggressive and will put some serious points on the board. I can't wait for this season, its gonna be the bomb. Holla I'm out.

i'm glad this didn't get deleted and just moved, because i found one of his other nuggets.

those 6 touchdowns were so impressive that they make the 11 turnovers look bad.

---------- Post added October-24th-2011 at 03:12 PM ----------

I know I'm 100% right.

that makes 1 of you.

We would've been 3-0 if we weren't trying to blitz Tony Romo sits to pee. You guys are just way too negative, I see why the Redskins ain't won nothing, its the fans and the media.

says a man who lives in Cincinnati which suffers from neither fans, nor media and therefore has celebrated unbridled success.

We would've been 3-0 if we weren't trying to blitz Tony Romo sits to pee. You guys are just way too negative, I see why the Redskins ain't won nothing, its the fans and the media.

Right...Jason Reid cost us that playoff appearance in 2008 and Kornheiser screwed us over when we dropped from 7-1 to 9-7 in 1996. And who could forget Allen, the lifelong fan, who single-handedly lost that playoff game for us in 1999.

Damn the fans and media!

You dudes have already given up on this season. All you guys got on me are the numerous Redskins trading cards. You know what? Even if Rex got the Redskins to the playoffs, you'd still be complaining. You didn't see how the meida was bashing Rex before the Eagles game? It was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, I thought the CSN media were more professional than that.

Archived