Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defending Rex Grossman

nachol

I know this is a weird way to start a post with the title "Defending Rex Grossman," but let me first say that I'm not a Rex Grossman fan.

In fact, I've never been a Rex Grossman fan. I don't like the way he throws the football. I don't like his stocky build. And I especially don't like his ability to make boneheaded mistakes during pivotal moments in football games.

But before we bury Rex with all this knee-jerk panic caused by the Cowboys game, let's take a few things into consideration.

For one, can anyone name the last time Rex started a meaningful game on the road? I'll give you some time to look it up..........that's right, it was in 2007, one year after he went to the Super Bowl with the Chicago Bears. It's been four years since Rex has had to play a big game on the road, and he happens to get the hated Dallas Cowboys on Monday Night. No pressure or anything.

Also, has everyone already forgotten that Rex saved the Cardinals game by throwing a touchdown pass to Santana Moss on a fourth and three? Yes, I know, he played poorly in the first quarter, and almost cost us the game, but give him some credit for getting us back in it.

And finally, let's stop bashing him for that fumble at the end of the Cowboys game. Yes, it sucks that it happened, and he could have had more presence of mind to either tuck the ball or throw it away, but maybe the problem on that play was that no one blocked Anthony Spencer!

Don't get me wrong, Rex might turn out to be a colossal disaster. But I'm willing to wait til the end of the season before I make that assessment because last time I checked, we don't have some young gunslinger waiting in the wings.

It's week 3 and we're 2-1. We lost a tough road game by two points. Let's stop crying and throwing Rex under the bus. Go Skins!

It is what it is. Rex can manage a game but he cannot make a play!! He has no mobility and when he slides he does not have the arm strength or footwork to recover. In todays game you need a QB that can make a play if you are going to be a contender and that is not Rex. I am not throwing him under the bus.....its the truth. This by NO means indicates that I think Beck is better. Romo sits to pee saved the game by making a play. He extended a play that I think was suppose to be a screen that the Redskins had covered and made a good pass. I just hope we find that franchise quarterback. Few franchises have suffered as long as the Redskins have!!

I have nothing against what Grossman has done thus far and I don't think he has done anything to lose the job. But at the same time, I am not blind to the lack of intangibles that Rex has, especially his lack of mobility which has always been a big part of Shanny's offense. I am not here saying that Beck is the answer or that Beck should start next week, but thinking about the things that Beck can do that Rex doesn't does get me curious to see what he really has. I for one think that the bootleg would of been a great weapon to have last night with the Dallas D being ultra aggressive.

when the team as a whole consistently plays well enough to win, but finds ways to lose, i'll start looking at individuals.

through 3 weeks i (and this is my opinion) have seen a team that's developing a character of work ethic, not giving up, and making few mental mistakes. the cowboys game was the exception, and a 'step back' if you will, from that movement. overall i think they're going forward in a good way.

until they're at the point where they're stringing 6-7 games together with quality play, and it becomes obvious grossman is the only thing holding them back, i'm going to stay away from bashing just him.

Schedule gets much softer right now. Rex didn't have a great game, but he didn't get a ton of help from the other players and the sideline. No switch needs to be made. I expected him to struggle at times, that front seven for Dallas is highly effective and Rob Ryan can certainly draw up exotic plays.

It happens. Could have stolen that game. Could have dominated that game if we played to our potential, but it didn't happen. Move on and focus on the Rams and hopefully pull to 3-1 heading into the bye.

For either Beck or Grossman to be effective we need to have a balanced attack. We virtually abandoned the running game after we scored our TD, the play-calling became too one dimensional. I don't blame Grossman for the loss, this one is squarely of the shoulders of Kyle Shanahan (and Haslett for that lousy call on 3rd and 21) as far as I'm concerned.

It is what it is. Rex can manage a game but he cannot make a play!! He has no mobility and when he slides he does not have the arm strength or footwork to recover. In todays game you need a QB that can make a play if you are going to be a contender and that is not Rex. I am not throwing him under the bus.....its the truth. This by NO means indicates that I think Beck is better. Romo sits to pee saved the game by making a play. He extended a play that I think was suppose to be a screen that the Redskins had covered and made a good pass. I just hope we find that franchise quarterback. Few franchises have suffered as long as the Redskins have!!

Pretty much what my comment was going to be. It's also no surprise that the Cowboys played to Rex weaknesses quite well, forcing him to throw outside and took away the middle of the field. Rex was spooked at times he didn't need to be, and his throws floated a lot as a result. If Rex can bounce back with a much more consistent effort vs. the Rams, but if he's just as shaky, I wouldn't be surprised to see Beck biting at his heels (assuming Beck has shown improvement in practices).

Regardless of what happened in the game: the 3rd and 21 play, the blocked field goal, bad play calling, etc. the Redskins had the ball, down by two, with 1:40 left, two time outs and Rex fumbled. If that fumble were an isolated event, it would be easy to overlook, because he was obviously trying to make a play. But, the problem I have with Rex is that he consistently fumbles. The fumble against the Giants could have turned the game around for NY, but our defense held. The fumble against the Cowboys ended the game. Rex has been in the league 9 years and has consistenly turned the ball over. As long as he is our starting QB, we will have to live in fear that he will drop the ball and hope that it won't be at a costly time.

We know what we've got in Rex Grossman, and it's not much. That's just the fact of the matter. He can marginally rise above expectations by minimizing mistakes - and maybe making a couple of red zone plays - but I'm convinced that he's never going to be much more than a middle-of-the-NFL-pack game manager.

All I ask of him as a fan is that in return for not putting the team on his shoulders and leading them to victory, don't kill them with costly mistakes and turnovers. In that regard so far so good.

Grossman is what he is, he will never be top tier, ever. He will get us some wins and cost us some games too.. we all knew that tho. Last night proves that he isn't clutch, he not only can't get it done in crunchtime.. he'll more likely than not turn it over. He is not a starter quality QB IMO. Just a stopgap.

I'm more ticked off at Hasslett and his 2 all out blitzes in a row.. they needed TWENTY ONE yards and this moron calls blitzes like he's playign Madden. This isn't the UFL anymore, when you're up against Dez Bryant and Tony Romo sits to pee and you're relentlessly sending the house...well you see what happens. Completely a bone-headed thing to do, he better damn well learn his lesson from that.

Hightower has never been an agile runner, but I was concerned by his inability to stay on his feet last night. It looked like the final days of Portis all over again...get to the line and slip over. Has anyone made a comment about the quality of the playing surface or the cleats they were using?

And finally, let's stop bashing him for that fumble at the end of the Cowboys game. Yes, it sucks that it happened, and he could have had more presence of mind to either tuck the ball or throw it away, but maybe the problem on that play was that no one blocked Anthony Spencer!

Don't you think that running opposite to Spencer proved that he was well aware of what was going on?, and therefore should have protected the ball better?.

I For one, can anyone name the last time Rex started a meaningful game on the road? I'll give you some time to look it up..........that's right, it was in 2007, one year after he went to the Super Bowl with the Chicago Bears. It's been four years since Rex has had to play a big game on the road, and he happens to get the hated Dallas Cowboys on Monday Night. No pressure or anything.

Rex has "led" a team to the super bowl - I dont buy that excuse at all.

Don't you think that running opposite to Spencer proved that he was well aware of what was going on?, and therefore should have protected the ball better?.

i need one of ASF's freeze frames with the little vision cone, because i'm pretty sure he looked at spencer chasing him and didn't even attempt to throw the ball before fumbling. that wasn't a guy in the pocket getting blindsided as he threw, that was a turnover prone QB turning the ball over.

what has changed about rex since, well, ever?

can't drive the deep out (witnessed by a dropped or maybe not dropped int by newman and the fact that dallas covered the middle of the field well and rex was extremely ineffective)

turnover prone

has trouble feeling pressure (part of the one above)

limited athleticism (to put it nicely)

has reached his ceiling (and this one was hotly contested in the preseason, but look at what he's done, nothing to convince you is better than he was)

Yeah, you might be right. It's hard to tell in the video though. Maybe Rex thought he could outrun him. Ha. Either way, we did a pathetic job of blocking on that play. The Cowboys only rushed three guys!

I'm also not a Rex Grossman fan but I agree there is no reason to be burying him. He has played better so far than I expected. He is obviously not a pro-bowl candidate or anything but he has played solidly, and Dallas has a really good front seven. That front seven was the reason that we couldn't run the ball, which we will need to be able to do for Rex to be successful. The way to beat an aggressive d with a immobile quarterback is making them respect the run, and hit them with some play action.

You know, when you use my exact quote in your post, it makes it even more obvious when you misquote me. Might want to read what I wrote again.

You said:

"But before we bury Rex with all this knee-jerk panic caused by the Cowboys game, let's take a few things into consideration.

For one, can anyone name the last time Rex started a meaningful game on the road? I'll give you some time to look it up..........that's right, it was in 2007, one year after he went to the Super Bowl with the Chicago Bears. It's been four years since Rex has had to play a big game on the road, and he happens to get the hated Dallas Cowboys on Monday Night. No pressure or anything."

I'm saying that I dont buy that excuse. If you can lead a team to the Super Bowl, Monday night football shouldnt be a big deal. According to your statement above, it sounds like you are excusing him. Thats all Im saying.

Archived