Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012: Trade it all for the #1 pick(Probably Luck), even 2013 picks if needed?

88Comrade2000

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

We still have 6 mos to go, so a lot can change. I have not been able to find much on Griffin. The thing I do like about Barkley is this (granted from Scouts Inc, so take it with a grain of salt):

He sounds like he is a student of the game, and not a partying retard like Leinart was. And I wouldn't base the predictions of QBs off their predecessors at their alma mater. Afterall, Peyton Manning was preceeded by Heath Shuler at Tennesee

Unless Seattle takes Andrew Luck, Pete Carroll will not pass on Matt Barkley. I know he hasn't taken a ton of trojans in the 2 drafts he has done (if any) but Barkley unlike a Taylor Mays, does have a skill set that translates to the NFL, he's familiar with him, having recruited him and coached him (remeber he started him as a freshman) and was truly enamored with him while he was still coaching USC.

To get him, you would have to either hope Seattle gets the #1 pick, or you will have to leap frog them to get Barkley. However, if Seattle gets Luck, Barkley could fall till after Landry Jones.

Week 13 is not about halfway through the season

What I'd like to see us do actually is to contact the Panthers and work out a deal with Jimmy Clausen for one of our received traded picks

JC is a talented QB, and he's never gonna get any playing time sitting behind Cam

Or I'd like to see us target Green Bay's backup Flynn and trade a middle round pick for him

Instead of just going all in for one guy in this years draft

Or even I'd like to see us draft multiple rookie QB's next year with the picks we have now and let them fight it out to be the starter

Anything but the stupid idea that we trade away all of our draft picks for one guy

This team needs a QB, and if Shanny and company can get an ellite QB they need to get him.

I will remind folks

Of all the picks of the 2004 Draft Let's look at them

#1 Eli Manning (1 SB a couple of play off wins)

#4 Phillip Rivers (Few Playoff wins, no Super Bowls)

#11 Big Ben (3 Super Bowls 2 Victories? Lots of Wins in the playoffs?)

#22 JP Losman (Where is that guy now?)

Big ben wasn't taken #1, but he's got to have one of the best records of any QB taken in the last 7 years in the playoffs.

One should point out Big Ben had a insane defense to back him up too.

I think the general point they're making is that if Shanahan believes a rookie QB is ready to play he will play him. That might not be week 1 but who knows; it depends on the rookie's progress/apparent readiness as well as how the incumbent is looking. I don't think he is the kind of coach who will sit a young QB JUST to sit him. If he were to get a kid like Luck I wouldn't be surprised if he was the week 1 starter.

I agree but I think there is a progression to a team and a #1 QB

For a team to land the top QB they have to have a bad team

Only the worst team drafts #1

If a team is the worst in the league unless it's a weird situation like the Colts this year who have a fanbase, the teams likely not got too much going for itself

That bad team needs a spark and something to get some butts in the seats and what do they have to lose starting that guy?

It gets the fans interested so he gets to go

A guy like Campbell or Rogers weren't picked #1 overall

Those guys got to sit for a while and learn

They are different, fans are more patient on average to let them mature

But with top signal callers they generally get thrown to the wolves for reasons not necessarily because they are the best chance to win

Week 13 is not about halfway through the season

Say what?

Jay Cutler the last QB taken by Coach Shannahan in the 1st round didn't start his first game until week 13 in his rookie year

That's the point Im making, if your so stuck on us needing to take a rookie QB and giving away all our picks to get him you have to know that he's not going to play much his first season

Anyway this team does have lots of holes to fill

We still need more corners

We still need more Defensive Linemen

We still need more Offensive Linemen

We still need a replacement for London Fletcher

If we don't re-sign Davis he will need replaced

Our current QB's are either on 1 year deals or will be in a contract season next year

And giving away tons of picks means we don't get to develop those positions

It means we don't get Ryan Kerrigan, Roy Helu, or Jarvis Jenkins, or Niles Paul, or Evan Royster, or Leonard Hankerson, or the rest of the rookies we got last year

And ultimately it means that since we are a team captained by men who are excellent at drafting and spoting skilled players

those wanting us to throw away the chance to improve the entire team would be taking one of best traits of this team and decide to go all in on one guy

If Vinny were still here playing games with Snyder I'd probably pull a Ditka and throw away all of our picks for the next Payton Manning

Because they showed like in 2008 that even with 10 draft picks they couldn't find any players

But I have seen and have faith in Coach Shannahans ability to draft and that's just too damn good to pull an All In move

What I'd like to see us do actually is to contact the Panthers and work out a deal with Jimmy Clausen for one of our received traded picks

JC is a talented QB, and he's never gonna get any playing time sitting behind Cam

Or I'd like to see us target Green Bay's backup Flynn and trade a middle round pick for him

Instead of just going all in for one guy in this years draft

Or even I'd like to see us draft multiple rookie QB's next year with the picks we have now and let them fight it out to be the starter

Anything but the stupid idea that we trade away all of our draft picks for one guy

Well, we know Helu and Kerrigan are solid players. The rest of the guys you named that we have drafted are total question marks still. We have no idea how Paul, Rosyter, Hankerson, etc. are going to do in the NFL. One thing I do agree with you is about contacting Carolina about Clausen. Personally, I would love for us to acquire Andrew Luck, I think it's worth trading a draft for him. I would trade all of the guys we drafted this season for Luck.

in the end it really doesnt matter what we feel or think, if Mike feels that Luck is the one they want they will go after him.but i have alwaays said that our own history shows that a great line can carry a team to the superbowl better than a great qb with a so so oline.especially in this blitz happy league.i want a dominate center and left guard and i think that will settle this line down and improve our redzone woes. then we can get a qb that throws lazer beams and stuff.i am fed up with horse before the carriage.i would like some feed back on why the Skins passed on Johnathan Joeseph and G/ Davin Joeseph. both players are as good if not better than what we have.thanks people HTTR

This team needs a QB, and if Shanny and company can get an ellite QB they need to get him.

The only limits to improving our team are our imaginations and ability to scout

Before the Cowboys won the Superbowls in the 1990's they spent 2 first round picks in the same year on QB's

I wouldn't mind us spending two picks on two different QB's but I would mind us spending all of our picks on one guy

Before Green Bay won it's championship in the 1990's they spent a 2nd round pick on the little known backup QB in Atlanta

I wouldn't mind us spending a pick on someone's backup QB either

There is no reason to believe we have only one choice to find our guy

If we did it would rank right up there with this trade in 1989

Minnesota Vikings received

RB Herschel Walker

Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)

San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)

Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)

Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Dallas Cowboys received

LB Jesse Solomon

LB David Howard

CB Issiac Holt

RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)

DE Alex Stewart

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)

Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)

Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)

That one worked out really well for Minnesota...

If we did it would rank right up there with this trade in 1989

Minnesota Vikings received

RB Herschel Walker

Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)

San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)

Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)

Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Dallas Cowboys received

LB Jesse Solomon

LB David Howard

CB Issiac Holt

RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)

DE Alex Stewart

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)

Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)

Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)

That one worked out really well for Minnesota...

A franchise RB is not the same as a franchise QB.

Well, we know Helu and Kerrigan are solid players. The rest of the guys you named that we have drafted are total question marks still. We have no idea how Paul, Rosyter, Hankerson, etc. are going to do in the NFL.

I saw in preseason that those guys have some work to do but will become playmakers some day in the league

It may not be week one but like the Ravens wideout, it will happen eventually

But since you only know about Helu and Kerrigan lets not forget the second to last pick in the draft Chris Neild

Chris Neild in his first three games has 2 sacks and has been very good in his limited time

The point I'm making is that when you have a staff who can spot talent and manuver a draft like we just did

The idea that you go all in and draft one single player is like shooting ourselves in the foot

I saw in preseason that those guys have some work to do but will become playmakers some day in the league

It may not be week one but like the Ravens wideout, it will happen eventually

But since you only know about Helu and Kerrigan lets not forget the second to last pick in the draft Chris Neild

Chris Neild in his first three games has 2 sacks and has been very good in his limited time

The point I'm making is that when you have a staff who can spot talent and manuver a draft like we just did

The idea that you go all in and draft one single player is like shooting ourselves in the foot

What if your staff believes Luck is the next Peyton Manning? Would it not be worth it then?

Why do I keep coming to the Stadium? Every time there's a bad game it's the end of the world, let's trade our next 20 years picks for this player or that player. Let's get rid of this player because he's a joke. The moment we win these same people are like, this guy that I just said was the worst player in the world, well now he's a GOD.

Unless Seattle takes Andrew Luck, Pete Carroll will not pass on Matt Barkley. I know he hasn't taken a ton of trojans in the 2 drafts he has done (if any) but Barkley unlike a Taylor Mays, does have a skill set that translates to the NFL, he's familiar with him, having recruited him and coached him (remeber he started him as a freshman) and was truly enamored with him while he was still coaching USC.

To get him, you would have to either hope Seattle gets the #1 pick, or you will have to leap frog them to get Barkley. However, if Seattle gets Luck, Barkley could fall till after Landry Jones.

Assuming Pete Carroll is there next year. Seattle is really bad this year. Really bad. They still finished under .500 last year too (including the fluke win over the Saints in the playoffs). They could very well be #1 overall -- and if they're top 5, I see them taking Jones over Barkley.

Assuming Pete Carroll is there next year. Seattle is really bad this year. Really bad. They still finished under .500 last year too (including the fluke win over the Saints in the playoffs). They could very well be #1 overall -- and if they're top 5, I see them taking Jones over Barkley.

I doubt he's not in Seattle next year. They definately over achieved last year (how can I say that about a 7-9 team?!) and picking 26th in each round hurt. I see him getting several more seasons before the plug is pulled, after all you don't pay a guy almost 7 million over 5 years, give him control over football operations and fire him after 2 years.

I would be shocked if he took Jones over Barkley. I think Jones is the better prospect, atleast for now, but he just couldn't stop raving about how great Barkley was during that whole season. If Jones is far and away the better prospect, then he may take him, but I think Jones is gonna edge Barkley out just by a bit when the draft process is over.

I doubt he's not in Seattle next year. They definately over achieved last year (how can I say that about a 7-9 team?!) and picking 26th in each round hurt. I see him getting several more seasons before the plug is pulled, after all you don't pay a guy almost 7 million over 5 years, give him control over football operations and fire him after 2 years.

I would be shocked if he took Jones over Barkley. I think Jones is the better prospect, atleast for now, but he just couldn't stop raving about how great Barkley was during that whole season. If Jones is far and away the better prospect, then he may take him, but I think Jones is gonna edge Barkley out just by a bit when the draft process is over.

I guess we shall see -- lots of football to be played between then and now. I will say the Redskins will take a QB in the 1st round this year, no doubt about it, they plugged so many holes last year...

I guess we shall see -- lots of football to be played between then and now. I will say the Redskins will take a QB in the 1st round this year, no doubt about it, they plugged so many holes last year...

I think you guys end up with Tannehill or trade down and target a guy like Nick Foles. I actually think all 3 QBs go fairly early with teams like the Colts, Dolphins, Chiefs and Seahawks headed towards the top 5 and Denver likely in the top 10.

i place a lot of importance on the qb position, but spending all our our 2012 draft or more than that?

i just dont think it would work for our team, even if luck turns out to be manning-like. the most id spend is two firsts and a second, and that wouldnt be enough.

what i dont want to do is overpay for a qb prospect because there was an early run on qbs.

Great quarterbacks can be had without sacrificing. We could have drafted Tom Brady. We could have drafted Aaron Rodgers. They're out there. You need good scouts.

Tom Brady was probably the biggest steal in the history of the NFL draft. Getting a QB in the 6th round who ends up being that good just doesn't happen as a general rule. The Pats have a very good scouting department but I seriously doubt they looked at Brady and said "this kid is going to easily be one of the best QBs to ever play the game" and then proceeded to wait until the 6th to pick him. Yes we could have drafted Rodgers but a couple of things on that. First, he dropped way lower on draft day than he was projected due to...who knows what circumstances. Some people were even talking about him as being the #1 overall pick that year. Second, there is no way to know how good Rodgers would be right now if he didn't land in an almost perfect situation with GB where he sat for a few years behind a HOF QB and has had a consistent system.

All that being said, I do agree with your general premise. Good scouting is absolutely essential.

If the Shanny's were 100% sold on Luck, the highest I would go would be:

#1 2012 (assuming we are ~#10 pick)

#2 2012

#1 2013

I don't think that would be enough, but that's all I'd be willing to trade...

Yeah, you are going to have to do better than that. Those three picks make it a no-brainer. You'd have to add a second rounder and a top player.

Archived