Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Redskins need to learn to win at FedEx Field

themurf

armstrong091611.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Fans of the Washington Redskins are still riding high after the team’s resounding 28-14 victory over the New York Giants in the season opener.

Not only did the Redskins defeat a Giants team that had dominated them over the last five years, but they did so in convincing fashion.

The defense, which ranked 31st in the NFL last season, took away New York’s ground game in the second half and then dialed up the pressure on Giants quarterback Eli Manning. The results were glorious – four sacks and an interception returned for a touchdown.

The offense, which has struggled to score points consistently for a decade or so, moved the ball well and Washington finished the game with a mind-numbing 28 points. Quarterback Rex Grossman threw for 300 yards for the third time in four starts and, for at least one week, managed to silence the critics who labeled him one of the worst starters in the NFL.

Even the special teams unit had a solid showing* — with linebacker Brian Orakpo blocking a second-half field goal attempt and punter Sav Rocca helping field position with four punts downed inside the Giants 20-yard line.

*Except for Graham Gano, who apparently isn’t capable of making anything more than an extra point during the regular season.

No matter which way you look at it, there’s plenty to like after Week 1. All the drama queens from a year ago are elsewhere and now the only thing that seems to matter to the guys in that locker room is winning football games.

With so many new faces on the roster – and let’s not forget three of the four Redskins touchdowns against the Giants were scored by people not on the roster last season – it really does appear to be the dawn of a new day in our nation’s capital.

But before everyone goes overboard anointing this one-win team before they actually accomplish anything truly noteworthy, I’ve got one simple request – let’s see them do it again this Sunday.

Do you realize that the Redskins have a chance to match last season’s home win total with a victory over the Arizona Cardinals this weekend?

Let me repeat that – Washington can win as many home games in the first two weeks of 2011 as they did in all of 2010.

It goes without saying that for the Redskins to actually become relevant once again they’re going to need to do better than 2-6 at FedEx Field.

That being said, winning Week 1 doesn’t automatically mean this year is different. It just means Washington is off to the usual hot start.

You see, the Redskins have won eight of their last 11 season openers, and yet, how many times have the Redskins made the playoffs in that span?

Twice.

And do you know what those two seasons have in common? Washington started 2007 and 2005 by winning Week 1 and – as simple as it sounds – they won again in Week 2.

Click here for the full article.

aww man, solid article murf but that home record is painful to see. As usual, you focus on a key issue, if you can't defend your own turf it's then the season is an uphill battle. The home crowd really seemed to be there for the Skins last week, let's hope that carries over, I do believe the 12th man has a positive effect.

Good article. We've had some brutal upsets at home. I recall reading a NY paper last year saying the Redskins in recent years don't deal well with success, they were predicting a let down after a win. I recall Smoot crowing we are the beasts of the Easts now after they upset the Eagles under Zorn. Success seemed to either go to their heads or they lose their edge or something. Upset wins often seem followed by upset losses. so agree this game is telling. The old Redskins would lose this game will see if this is indeed a new Redskins. Under Gibbs 2, they only seemed to get on a consistent roll when there was no margin for error, when they were desperate. Otherwise it seemed like if they were following a big win, we'd lose the next one.

The defense, which ranked 31st in the NFL last season, took away New York’s ground game in the second half and then dialed up the pressure on Giants quarterback Eli Manning. The results were glorious – four sacks and an interception returned for a touchdown.

Note from editorial department:

Needs the phrase "second half shutout".

:)

I wonder if THIS team is aware of their history of blowing games like this one coming up. A lot of the media is treating Arizona like a walk in the park, but they have some talent, they can win this one. You have some of the signs of a Redskins loss right now. The Hightower we will win comment. Grossman reaffirming this week that they will win the NFC East. Some players talking about how this team is special. Seems like they are getting ahead of themselves and we've seen that story before. Personally, i am jazzed about this team but it kind of worries me that some players seem to believe the hype. they have to earn it, a good preseason and one game IMO isn't enough to start crowing.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 09:02 AM ----------

"The Redskins have definitely been known to lull fans into a false sense of security by looking great one week and then losing in painstaking fashion the following game. And honestly, the Redskins are a team that performs best with little to no expectations placed upon them."

Man that is soooo true! Great write up.

Well said. This team doesn't seem to succeed when they get praise around the league, seems like it goes to their heads. I don't notice for example NE crowing about how good they are yet.

Is this year any different? We’re about to find out.

This year is different, even if we lose the rest of our games.

I really don't see what any other year has to do with this one. These guys can't be responsible for anything that happened in the past. Most of them weren't involved in losing games they were expected to win.

Grouping statistics should begin last year unless we're looking at the owner exclusively, and that doesn't apply to this year. This regime started last season.

Can you please pass this message along to the rest of the media that covers the Redskins?

The past 10 years has little to nothing to do with this year. We could win the first 2 and lose the rest, or win all 16 games.

This is a new team, win or lose. Just like every year.

Great stuff as always Murf :)

It is my belief that the 2011-12 Washington Redskins have several positives in their favor that last year's team did not. First the quarterback - for this system Rex Grossman fits better than Mc5 ever did. 2) The ground game - their were times when we were able to run the ball effectively but more times than not we were one dimensional due to injuries to CP/Torain as well as the Oline. 3) The Offensive line in 2010 :yikes:. This year's line with an better understanding of what they're doing as well as one year continuity, should be a vast improvement. Of course there is the injury factor assuming health is not a factor this team should out perform last year's team.

The circus has left town :applause: no more headaches/egos/distractions. Unity reigns supreme in Ashburn now. Everyone has brought into the Shanaplan. The 2005 and 2007 Redskins team had solidarity even through adversity and the tragic death of a teammate were able to stay together and get through it.

Bruce and Mike - in this year's draft and free agency targeted guys with a high motor and good work ethic.

Lastly last years team had higher expectations for numerous reasons Mike Shanahan's return to football. Donovan McNabb as the starting quarterback. This years team with no Superstars have universally been tapped to be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. This year's team was written off before they had even played one pre season game. These guys have nothing to lose. No pressure because most o the media pundits rationalize the win over the Giants due to their defensive injuries.

I say go out have fun (be smart) and let the chips fall where they may.

This year is different, even if we lose the rest of our games.

I really don't see what any other year has to do with this one. These guys can't be responsible for anything that happened in the past. Most of them weren't involved in losing games they were expected to win.

Grouping statistics should begin last year unless we're looking at the owner exclusively, and that doesn't apply to this year. This regime started last season.

Can you please pass this message along to the rest of the media that covers the Redskins?

The past 10 years has little to nothing to do with this year. We could win the first 2 and lose the rest, or win all 16 games.

This is a new team, win or lose. Just like every year.

Your stance makes since only if you began following the Redskins within the last year. Anyone who has been a fan of this team longer than that is going to take into account everything they've seen and experienced during their entire time rooting for the burgundy and gold. You say this year's team is different. Well, if they are, then they'll go out and win against Arizona. If they fall flat this weekend, then it's the same sad script with this team getting hopes up just so they can kick fans in the beanbag once again.

Your stance makes since only if you began following the Redskins within the last year. Anyone who has been a fan of this team longer than that is going to take into account everything they've seen and experienced during their entire time rooting for the burgundy and gold.

That would be a huge mistake, please name all players on our roster that have been here for the last 10 years. Obviously you can't name any. Do you believe it's the uniform or the stadium that causes this pattern? The team name? Everything else is different.

You say this year's team is different. Well, if they are, then they'll go out and win against Arizona. If they fall flat this weekend, then it's the same sad script with this team getting hopes up just so they can kick fans in the beanbag once again.

Why? What do Joe Gibbs and Jim Zorn have to do with this team beating Arizona? How about Mark Brunell or Jason Campbell?

If they lose to Arizona they automatically become the 2001 - 2010 Redskins? C'mon man you're better than that. Ask Mike Shanahan what the last 10 years has to do with this one, or Bowen, or Kerrigan, or Grossman, etc.

Fans can look at this anyway they want, but that doesn't make it real.

This is a new year win or lose, the past is irrelevant.

This is a new year win or lose, the past is irrelevant.

So fans shouldn't even consider the team's 38-42 home record over the last decade when deciding whether or not to re-new their season tickets? They should just blindly sign up for whatever because you say it's different this year? Sorry man. It doesn't work that way.

Like I said, I've been a fan of this team for a lot longer than 365 days. Until this current bunch shows me they're not going to let me down the same way every other Redskins team has since Joe Gibbs first retired, I reserve the right to remain cautiously optimistic. You're free to do whatever you'd like, but I need to see results before I know for sure the 2011 Redskins are actually any different.

So my ex-wife and her kids kept my house a mess. Trash every place, never gave a damn about how the place looked even with company coming over. They lived in this house with me for 8.5 years, and it was the same crap day after day. I wanted to keep it clean but it was useless, they did it their way.

My new wife is a clean freak, she does a great job. You would be amazed, white glove clean for the last year and a half. She is the complete opposite when it comes to housework.

My Mother has been coming over to visit since I moved from home. Last week my new wife wasn't feeling well and didn't clean up the house. We had company the night before, so it was messy when Mom came over. Dirty dishes on the counter, toys all over the floor, the toilet wasn't scrubbed, etc.

Now is it fair for her to say nothing changed? Aireskoi's house is still a mess just like the last 10 years. Both were wives in the same house, and had the same last name, but had a completely different approach to cleaning.

That day the results were the same, but the situation was totally different. My ex-wife had nothing to do with the house that day, and bringing her up or grouping them together would be fighting words.

BTW, I've never been married.:silly:

You must unlearn what you have learned. :)

I could care less about about the Franchise's(Skins, not Shane Douglas ;) ) home record over the last ten years. All the things that sucked the life out of fans during that time are gone. Vinny. Fat Ass. Vinny. McSuck. Vinny. Coles. Vinny. Zorn. Frost. Vinny. JC. Vinny. Lavar. Vinny. Norv. Vinny. Westbrook. Vinny. Swinging Gate. Vinny. Bingo callers. etc.

Bruce & Shanny have cast out the dead weight & problem children. They've injected a much needed shot of youth into the Franchise. They've drafted guys with a winners mentality. They've signed guys with the same mentality. Guys like Fletcher are saying it finally feels like a TEAM here. They want to come in & put the work in. You don't get that without the one thing we've needed more then a QB & thats leadership. This team has it in spades. It's a brand new day with this team. See the entire forest, not the decade old tree.

Its ok to feel good about this team after shutting out the Giants in the second half. :)

So fans shouldn't even consider the team's 38-42 home record over the last decade when deciding whether or not to re-new their season tickets? They should just blindly sign up for whatever because you say it's different this year? Sorry man. It doesn't work that way.

Like I said, I've been a fan of this team for a lot longer than 365 days. Until this current bunch shows me they're not going to let me down the same way every other Redskins team has since Joe Gibbs first retired, I reserve the right to remain cautiously optimistic. You're free to do whatever you'd like, but I need to see results before I know for sure the 2011 Redskins are actually any different.

Renewing tickets? What does that have to do with this topic? I wouldn't recommend doing anything blindly, those are your words.

What results will change your mind?

Beating Arizona can't be enough, can it?

I have been a fan since the early 80's, so should I assume we will be the same as 1991, or 2001? Neither has a damn thing to do with this year.

I don't need you or any other fans to be optimistic. The team will win or lose based on the play on the field. You could keep reminding the players what happened over the last 10 years in every interview you do if you want. Ask them why it's different now- when they weren't here, or even in the NFL in many cases.

Sorry for trying to bring some logic to your thread, I was just trying to help. You can just keep living in the past and I'll enjoy this year for what it is.

NEW SEASON, 2011. WIN OR LOSE.

For those interested, here's how the Redskins have done at home over the last decade:

2010: 2-6

2009: 3-5

2008: 4-4

2007: 5-3

2006: 3-5

2005: 6-2

2004: 3-5

2003: 3-5

2002: 5-3

2001: 4-4

Which is good enough for a 38-42 record at FedEx Field since 2001.

Woah...didn't realize we're that bad at home.

I don't need you or any other fans to be optimistic. The team will win or lose based on the play on the field. You could keep reminding the players what happened over the last 10 years in every interview you do if you want. Ask them why it's different now- when they weren't here, or even in the NFL in many cases.

Your stance is: "This season will be different."

Mine is: "I need more than one week to see if that's the case."

Your reply is: "I don't care about your opinion."

So why are you still here?

It's a brand new day with this team. See the entire forest, not the decade old tree.

First of all, that is a sweet analogy.

But I don't think the intention of the article was to exclude the overhaul of me players and addition of team players. I just think he was stating that the team has to win at home to continue moving forward.

For those interested, here's how the Redskins have done at home over the last decade:

2010: 2-6

2009: 3-5

2008: 4-4

2007: 5-3

2006: 3-5

2005: 6-2

2004: 3-5

2003: 3-5

2002: 5-3

2001: 4-4

Which is good enough for a 38-42 record at FedEx Field since 2001.

Those records are more of a reflection of how bad the team has been in their own division considering it's 3 games a year and they're either 3-5, 4-4, or 5-3 in 8 out of 10 seasons.

I hate FedEx. Just tear down RFK, rebuild it bigger and better, complete with spring loaded endzone bleachers and let's get the **** out of Landover.

Those records are more of a reflection of how bad the team has been in their own division considering it's 3 games a year and they're either 3-5, 4-4, or 5-3 in 8 out of 10 seasons.

I hate FedEx. Just tear down RFK, rebuild it bigger and better, complete with spring loaded endzone bleachers and let's get the **** out of Landover.

Yeah and spring right into PSLs.

Well said. This team doesn't seem to succeed when they get praise around the league, seems like it goes to their heads. I don't notice for example NE crowing about how good they are yet.

I used to think this was the problem and that the Redskins needed to learn to win as a favorite. But, the more I thought about it, which is more likely:

a) Several times over the past 15 years, the team has been ready to contend only to get too full of itself and/or let praise go to its collective head and end up underachieving, or

B) The media (who is essentially paid to make snapshot judgments on a weekly basis) has incorrectly labeled the Redskins as ready to contend only to be proven wrong over the 16-game schedule

To me, B is much more likely as I look back over some of the teams that started getting press (1996, 2000, 2005, 2008, etc.). I think it's more likely that we haven't been much more than a slightly above-average team over that span than 4-5 completely different teams with different coaching staffs has puffed out their chests too early simply because they wear burgundy and gold.

Believe me, I want a team that can be favored and win games and I understand the fan mentality that we do better when we have no expectations. But I think it just appears that way simply because we haven't been good enough to be consistently good for 16 games since the early 1990s. We've had teams that were good enough to start 6-2 or win 5 at the end to make the playoffs...but that's been about our peak.

Hopefully we'll see something different in the coming years!

Archived