Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Redskins need to learn to win at FedEx Field

themurf

Great read Murf, love your angle each week. Love the title wording as well, because I think "learning to win" is such a key element in young players development, regardless of home or away. Its been too long since we've had a team with a "killer instinct" to step on an opponent when we have a lead and CLOSE out games. We saw that on display Sunday, and hope that trend continues.

Side note, not to nitpick, but was it Orakpo or Niles Paul that blocked the field goal? I haven't still had the chance to watch the game off the dvr, but I thought when watching it live it was actually Niles.

Keep up the great work!!!

Great read Murf, love your angle each week. Love the title wording as well, because I think "learning to win" is such a key element in young players development, regardless of home or away. Its been too long since we've had a team with a "killer instinct" to step on an opponent when we have a lead and CLOSE out games. We saw that on display Sunday, and hope that trend continues.

Side note, not to nitpick, but was it Orakpo or Niles Paul that blocked the field goal? I haven't still had the chance to watch the game off the dvr, but I thought when watching it live it was actually Niles.

Keep up the great work!!!

Here's a photo I took of the play in question. You can see the football as it comes off of Orakpo's hand and you can also see Paul isn't even close to making the play.

Just to be sure, I also asked Orakpo after the game if he got the block and he gave me a big smile and said, "Yessir." He's a big dude. You probably don't want to take that moment away from him. hehehe.

I'm thinking Rak got credit for it, but its funny because live, I thought Niles blocked it as well.

Here's a photo I took of the play in question. You can see the football as it comes off of Orakpo's hand and you can also see Paul isn't even close to making the play.

Just to be sure, I also asked Orakpo after the game if he got the block and he gave me a big smile and said, "Yessir." He's a big dude. You probably don't want to take that moment away from him. hehehe.

Ha :). Fair point. Dig it, nice shot, too.

I used to think this was the problem and that the Redskins needed to learn to win as a favorite. But, the more I thought about it, which is more likely:

a) Several times over the past 15 years, the team has been ready to contend only to get too full of itself and/or let praise go to its collective head and end up underachieving, or

B) The media (who is essentially paid to make snapshot judgments on a weekly basis) has incorrectly labeled the Redskins as ready to contend only to be proven wrong over the 16-game schedule

To me, B is much more likely as I look back over some of the teams that started getting press (1996, 2000, 2005, 2008, etc.). I think it's more likely that we haven't been much more than a slightly above-average team over that span than 4-5 completely different teams with different coaching staffs has puffed out their chests too early simply because they wear burgundy and gold.

Believe me, I want a team that can be favored and win games and I understand the fan mentality that we do better when we have no expectations. But I think it just appears that way simply because we haven't been good enough to be consistently good for 16 games since the early 1990s. We've had teams that were good enough to start 6-2 or win 5 at the end to make the playoffs...but that's been about our peak.

Hopefully we'll see something different in the coming years!

Good post. And to defend Murf look this trend has been present for off the top of my head the last 4 coaches including this one. Shanny and Bruce were here last year too, and the same thing happened. I am in the tank for Shanny and Bruce and I am optimistic, but I don't agree with the whole "get out of here sentiment, no way its happening again". All the ingredients are there for a loss based on our recent history: they are coming off of a high from a big win, they are favorites, they are at home, the media expects a win and are building the team up some, players are bragging some. We've seen this story before. And while I agree I think there is a decent chance that the old Redskins chapter is closed, I don't blame Murf for wanting to see PROOF of it, before counting chickens.

Great shot, but Niles is right there in front of Mckenzie in a stretched out angle. From that shot, I wouldn't say Niles isn't even close to making the play. Yes, Rak looks closer, but with the angle & without depth, its hard to tell how close Paul is or isn't. you can say it looks like Carriker had a shot at making a play on the ball & you can say that Doughty was no where near close enough to making a play on the ball.

Good post. And to defend Murf look this trend has been present for off the top of my head the last 4 coaches including this one. Shanny and Bruce were here last year too, and the same thing happened. I am in the tank for Shanny and Bruce and I am optimistic, but I don't agree with the whole "get out of here sentiment, no way its happening again". All the ingredients are there for a loss based on our recent history: they are coming off of a high from a big win, they are favorites, they are at home, the media expects a win and are building the team up some, players are bragging some. We've seen this story before. And while I agree I think there is a decent chance that the old Redskins chapter is closed, I don't blame Murf for wanting to see PROOF of it, before counting chickens.

Or maybe we were just a not good enough team to win consistantly? I don't know how good we are now, but I don't blame misguided expectations for losing games. If we don't beat the Cards Sunday it won't be because of the last 10 years.

Or maybe we were just a not good enough team to win consistantly? I don't know how good we are now, but I don't blame misguided expectations for losing games. If we don't beat the Cards Sunday it won't be because of the last 10 years.

Maybe. Its just one example but I recall Portis or one of the players saying after the Eagles game that it went to some of the players heads and associated that to the loss they had. If this is a good team, will see tomorrow.

If we don't beat the Cards Sunday it won't be because of the last 10 years.

But it'll seem like "more of the same" to 'Skins fans who are tired of losing.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 06:01 PM ----------

Great shot, but Niles is right there in front of Mckenzie in a stretched out angle. From that shot, I wouldn't say Niles isn't even close to making the play. Yes, Rak looks closer, but with the angle & without depth, its hard to tell how close Paul is or isn't. you can say it looks like Carriker had a shot at making a play on the ball & you can say that Doughty was no where near close enough to making a play on the ball.

Is this an actual debate? I mean, I said earlier that Brian Orakpo himself told me he was the one who got the block.

It's not an actual debate murf. Letthepointsoar asked about Paul making the play. Then you posted the photo link & a quote from Rak saying he got it.

I posted back to him "I'm thinking Rak got credit for it, but its funny because live, I thought Niles blocked it as well."

Then you shortened what I said to " I thought Niles blocked it as well. " just to tell me he didn't.

You had said Paul wasn't even close to making the play. The photo, as I described shows why pointsoar & I both had originally thought Paul had blocked the kick. And THAT is what I was trying to convey in my last post.

Yeah same thing I was thinking. It's still not going to change my pick. I still expect 34-17 Redskins win, but if things go to **** like they have every previous year I won't be totally surprised. It would be just like last year. Dallas win at home, then lose to the Texans at home, another team with a great offense and no defense, kinda like the Cardinals.

Only this time I know that Shanahan is going to play to win even if it does go to hell out there. None of that old Zorn/JC putting up 200yards passing in the 4th quarter against a soft defense after not doing anything all game and still losing. Grossman will put the ball up even if he throws 2-3Ints in the process. Our defense isn't going to go into prevent in the 3rd quarter with us up by 3-7 points either.

I think that as long as the coach has confidence in what they are doing they should be at least competitive in every game. Thats exactly what I saw in the 2nd half of the Giants game too. First time in a long time.

Your stance makes since only if you began following the Redskins within the last year. Anyone who has been a fan of this team longer than that is going to take into account everything they've seen and experienced during their entire time rooting for the burgundy and gold. You say this year's team is different. Well, if they are, then they'll go out and win against Arizona. If they fall flat this weekend, then it's the same sad script with this team getting hopes up just so they can kick fans in the beanbag once again.

We should do well,if not why did we hire Shanahan and Allen.We need to build this team in the draft and bring in our franchise QB for the next decade.

It's not an actual debate murf. Letthepointsoar asked about Paul making the play. Then you posted the photo link & a quote from Rak saying he got it.

I posted back to him "I'm thinking Rak got credit for it, but its funny because live, I thought Niles blocked it as well."

Then you shortened what I said to " I thought Niles blocked it as well. " just to tell me he didn't.

You had said Paul wasn't even close to making the play. The photo, as I described shows why pointsoar & I both had originally thought Paul had blocked the kick. And THAT is what I was trying to convey in my last post.

That makes much more sense. I was really beginning to think you had embraced drinking at work again.

Archived