Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you see Orakpo lining up in the 4-point stance?

The Full Monty

Maybe you all have noticed already so sorry if it's been mentioned.

The two instances I saw of Orakpo in the 4 point stance that are the easiest to spot is Kerrigan pick-6. Orakpo basically resembles a RDE in a 4-3.

To the defense-scheme junkies, was that a 4-3 alignment blitz package? (you can clearly see Atogwe blitzing from Kerrigan's side)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liFnHh2hhTw

Then, if you've got a DVR, you can check out the 3:26, maybe 3:25 mark of the 4th quarter. Rak with both hands in the dirt.

It shows me that Haslett is gonna let Rak rush the QB not only from the stand up 2 point stance we've been seeing but also let him mix it up to how he's done it for most of his football career back to college. Up until the Giants game on Sunday I'd not seen Rak rush the QB from a 4 point stance since the 2009 season under Zorn.

Makes me wonder if they'll let Kerrigan do it as well, also to mix things up and allow him to make plays how he's used to making them in addition to the new techniques of being an OLB.

The craziest thing about the Kerrigan pick 6 was that Doughty was playing CORNERBACK (outside cb), Haslett's got some tricks up his sleeve.
Reed wasn't playing corner, the TE he had in man coverage just happened to be split wide.

i dont think putting doughty in at CB is any kind of trick, thats suicide lol.. everybody knows doughty lacks coverage skills

I was trying to explain the 3-4 defense and it's differences from the 4-3 defense to my wife. she loves football and goes to the games, she's still learning things like this.

after about 2 series on defense i gave up. she would be confused with there being 5 guys on the line sometimes, 2 others, etc. they're clearly mixing up packages all over the place, and personnel all over the place.

it's nice to see. hopefully we'll be very confusing and it'll turn the tables in our favor.

7 guys blitzing, 4 back on the receivers. Giants had to keep both backs in to pick up the extra blocks, essentially forcing a quick pass, which the team played off of, pressured Eli and Kerrigan tipped the pass.

I'd call it a 4-2-5 or a 2-4-5, depending on how you view Kerrigan and Orakpo in that play. Likely a 4-2-5.

After rewatching that play I'm convinced that Joe Buck is not capable of showing emotion ever.

LOL......... That gave me a good laugh. Yeah, I just dont know about that guy.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 12:54 PM ----------

I know I wasnt the only one that saw that 9 man front

Haslett :applause:

Yeah.... The D played great week one, espeacially in the second half, and Haslett should definetly get some of that credit. He call a great game for the D!!

Dam is Orakpo super fast off the ball in a 4 point stance. Geez. Look how he blows by the left tackle.

He's fast. Kerrigan was half a step behind even when he got it bang on, one and a half steps behind when he didn't. Orakpo is looking really good this year IMO, he actually looks decent in coverage. Kerrigan is a step behind there too, however he's ahead of Orakpo at the same point last year and with a fraction of the pre season time to adjust. Something I have seen from Kerrigan is his ability to shed cut blocks. He's still standing when the other guy is face down on the grass which is impressive game 1 with the big boys.

Back on topic, we look really good playing with 4 linemen on likely passing downs when we're ahead on the scoreboard. I'm looking forward to watching our D play with a lead some more now we have pass rush production from the interior DL.

LOL......... That gave me a good laugh. Yeah, I just dont know about that guy.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 12:54 PM ----------

Yeah.... The D played great week one, espeacially in the second half, and Haslett should definetly get some of that credit. He call a great game for the D!!

I'd love to know what kinds of adjustments Haslett made in the second half. Does anyone have any thoughts about that?

It was as if the defense just "flipped the switch" and went from so-so to just plain nasty. We hit Eli a ton that second half. :beavisnbutthead:

I remember whem the giants won the superbowl year, they was 0-2 and playing us at out home. Their def looked like straight garbage up until the second half and went off on us. Felt very good for it to be us that went off. Its funny cause i have the skins def in fantasy and my brother called me talkin about our def (hes a skins fan) and i told em at halftime i was pissed cause they wasnt looking all that good, no sacks, no turnovers or anything and we was sucking it up. After we won, he called and said every gamr after the possession on def, he wants me to call hm and talk trash about our def lol.

I've been looking for this as well.

I can't remember a defensive player making more with his limited opportunities than what Chris Neild did on Sunday. He quoted himself playing 10 snaps and making 4 tackles with 2 of them being sacks... Cofield quote below...

Archived