Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you see Orakpo lining up in the 4-point stance?

The Full Monty

I think it helped that we were up by two touchdowns for those last few minutes of the 4th. NY had to throw the ball, and Hazelett gave them the steady dose of pressure they deserved. That would not have been the case if they were in a position to run the ball. Even still, it was fun to watch, and refreshing to see the tables finally turned.

Edit: Actually, I take tha back. The Kerrigan pick 6 was early in the 3rd, with a tied score, and we were bringing effective heat even then.

We went to a 4 man front pretty often in the 4th. A front of Orakpo, Kerrigan, Cofield, and Bowen is sick. It was just destroying the Giants OL. Granted we were up two TDs and they couldn't do anything but pass the ball, but still. I think we'll be seeing that front more often in late game obvious passing situations. It's damn near unblockable.

We went to a 4 man front pretty often in the 4th. A front of Orakpo, Kerrigan, Cofield, and Bowen is sick. It was just destroying the Giants OL. Granted we were up two TDs and they couldn't do anything but pass the ball, but still. I think we'll be seeing that front more often in late game obvious passing situations. It's damn near unblockable.

I thought the same, until I went back and looked at the box score. We weren't up by 14 until 5 minutes left in the 4th. We brought good pressure in the 3rd when the game was tied, leading to the Kerrigan TD.

Makes me wonder if they'll let Kerrigan do it as well, also to mix things up and allow him to make plays how he's used to making them in addition to the new techniques of being an OLB.

It may be that Haslett wanted Rak strictly in 3-4 roles for one year before he felt Rak was capable of mixing it up. Same may apply to Kerrigan, but so far it seems like Haslett is more comfortable with his own defense this year. He doesn't seem as lost, the 'tricky' blitzes from everywhere are awesome, and I would expect Has to let Kerrigan loose(hands in the dirt) to get as crazy with the blitzes as possible.

I don't think I hated on anyone more than haslett last year, but perhaps he was just feeling out the system for the first year, and of course waiting to put new pieces in. This could be a top dangerous blitzing defense along with the steelers, etc. And it's awesome to be able to root for your great, tough defense. Only a few years ago we were top 5, top 10. But never scary for other teams, never intimidating to the QB. I'm starting to get more excited for the defense than I am for Rex and all his 300yd games or whatever:ols:

It may be that Haslett wanted Rak strictly in 3-4 roles for one year before he felt Rak was capable of mixing it up.

Makes a lotta sense, plus it creates even more things that the offensive coordinators and offensive lineman and tight ends have to account for and study when preparing to play us. It might've been confusing for the Giants LT just a tad bit when he saw him put his hands in the dirt, because all of their game planning probably involved accounting for Rak as a stand up OLB instead of a situational DE. I'm liking these chess games this year. :)

The craziest thing about the Kerrigan pick 6 was that Doughty was playing CORNERBACK (outside cb), Haslett's got some tricks up his sleeve.

Yeah I love those play calls. When we blitz the DBs the safeties have to hurry over to cover the outside. It's really hard to do, but the corner blitz we run is a thing of beauty when popularly executed. I think of it as Haslett's signature playcall.

Archived