Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Too early to consider Week 2, One of "THOSE" games?

NoCalMike

There are no trap games. The Redskins have been picked by most as a last place team.

And it's week two.

And it's a rebuilding year.

There are no must wins or trap games.

Last year, we barely beat a team en route to a 6-10 year. The loss to the Texans was not so much a "trap" but a game that revealed who we really were.

I wonder if there's an analogous thread on the Cardinals message board. Are we THEIR "trap" team?

No, we're well aware of your performance against a good Giants team.

We just know that we have to convert possessions into points (i.e. no stalling/turnovers) on offense. And force Grossman to beat us on Defense by stopping the run.

No, we're well aware of your performance against a good Giants team.

We just know that we have to convert possessions into points (i.e. no stalling/turnovers) on offense. And force Grossman to beat us on Defense by stopping the run.

Seeing as how Cam Newton fared against you guys, I don't know how successful that plan will be. :ols:

Seeing as how Cam Newton fared against you guys, I don't know how successful that plan will be. :ols:

I agree, we didn't fare well against Newton. I didn't really come here to talk smack.

How is your secondary? And also run defense? I already know about Hightower. Also, what sort of offense are you running with Grossman throwing it? (aside from zone blocking for RBs)

I agree, we didn't fare well against Newton. I didn't really come here to talk smack.

How is your secondary? And also run defense? I already know about Hightower. Also, what sort of offense are you running with Grossman throwing it? (aside from zone blocking for RBs)

I'm not talking smack, I just made a general observation.

As for us, it's way too early to get an accurate read on this team yet, but I'd say that we're better than a lot of people expected. Run defense looks pretty good, the secondary however, I'm a little worried about.

Looks like it could be another couple weeks before Landry's ready to come back, and his replacement (Doughty) didn't play so hot yesterday. As for the O, a lot of bootlegs/PA/2 TE sets, stuff like that, pretty much Rex-friendly formations. We went empty back a few times and didn't do very well, due to shaky pass pro, so that could be an issue again next week.

Our rushing D did well against Bradshaw and Jacobs, holding them to 44 and 29 yards respectively. We got quite a bit of pressure on manning too, sacking him four times forcing an interception for a touchdown. He threw for 268 yards, though a huge chunk of that was on safety Reed Doughty, in for Landry... and if Landry is playing next week, our secondary should be improved.

So Doughty was taken advantage of? I'll have to watch a replay of your game..but what kinds of matchups was he/your secondary getting beat on? TE's/play-action type stuff?

I think he flat out misread a couple routes and was beat on a double move by Nicks for a huge gain.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82222471/In-the-Nicks-of-time

I think he flat out misread a couple routes and was beat on a double move by Nicks for a huge gain.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82222471/In-the-Nicks-of-time

Thanks. I guess he''s not much of a coverage guy. How/who plays Free for you guys? You guys will absolutely need to bracket Fitz. Heap looks like he can be a clutch guy over the middle for us...your LBs good at stopping TE's over the middle?

It's never too early. Few reasons.

1. Need to continue to take advantage of being at home. 1 month till the next home game (10/16 against Eagles).

2. Big difference between 1-1 and 2-0

3. Losing this week deflates the win yesterday against the Giants. Need to ride the momentum.

Thanks. I guess he''s not much of a coverage guy. How/who plays Free for you guys? You guys will absolutely need to bracket Fitz. Heap looks like he can be a clutch guy over the middle for us...your LBs good at stopping TE's over the middle?

O.J. Atogwe plays FS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Fletcher is decent in coverage, while McIntosh has struggled, but usually holds his own. Kerrigan and Orakpo are generally used to rush the QB from the ends.

Landry looks to be back this week, and that isnt good news for the Cards. His return will make our secondary one of the better units you'll face all year. As for run defense, we held the Giants to 75 yards rushing. With all due respect, Bradshaw/Jacobs is a better combo than Wells/?. The area that I think you have a marked advantage is your DL vs. our OL. Your DL has been pretty dominant over the past 3 or so years. Our OL has been shaky. While it looks to be better this year, it is still a weakness and something you might be able to dominate. We did "ok" against a banged up front 7, so I expect this matchup to be one we'll struggle with.

Yes it is a trap game.

Big win at home against a division foe where you finally get the monkey off your back.

Looking forward to making a statement week 3 on the road Monday night at your biggest rival.

In between is a "we should win this one" game.

Definition of trap.

Good to see that Fletcher maybe realizes it and cancelled the victory monday off. That's leadership.

I don't know, I guess that I'm so jaded that there is never one of "THOSE" games. I remember the Raiders game in 2005 was "in the bag" as I said on my fake website. Yeah, that went to ****.

There will be no one of "THOSE" games until we put up a good string of solid victories. Looking at our schedule and considering our recent history, I'd say the first time we could have one of "THOSE" games is late October and then only if we go into that game undefeated including a couple of dominant wins (which is not likely considering that includes games against Philly here and Dallas there plus another trip to St Louis were we didn't fare well the last time).

For a team that hasn't been to the playoffs since 2007, hasn't won their division since 1999, and hasn't won a Super Bowl since 1991, I think we're one of the last fan bases and teams that should overlook anyone on the schedule. If we ever get to a point where we're rolling at 10-0 and facing a clearly struggling team at 1-9, maybe then I'll say we could be entering a "trap" game. Until they show and prove, we should have no reason to think this team is highly superior to anyone, that's just setting you up for disappointment

Yes it is a trap game.

Big win at home against a division foe where you finally get the monkey off your back.

Looking forward to making a statement week 3 on the road Monday night at your biggest rival.

In between is a "we should win this one" game.

Definition of trap.

Good to see that Fletcher maybe realizes it and cancelled the victory monday off. That's leadership.

Not the definition of a trap game. For a team to have a trap game that team MUST be far better than its opponent and that MUST be a certain truth event to the haters (this year, this could only describe us after we've put a string of strong wins together).

My point has nothing to do with the opponent, but the situation.

1) Favored by Vegas

2) A chance to make a statement

3) "Easy" game after a tough win

4) Playing a "weak" defense that somehow ****s us up and shuts us down.

I understand that, and I wasn't contesting your point. It just so happens that our "winnable but not overlookable" game happens to be against perhaps the only team in the league whom the 'skins have consistently had their way with over the past decade, not that it renders your point any less valid.

Archived