Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Morning After Thread

SIXX99

Watched the game on TV yesterday. Was one of the louder games i've heard in a while. Others who watch it at home said the samething.

It seemed loud on TV. I wasn't thrilled about the defense chants from Giants fans but for the most part it seemed like Fed-Ex was one of the loudest stadiums from the games I watched yesterday.

im not gonna worry too much about the o line and running game, the giants are still a good team. even tho these 2 aspects looked bad, we still dominated and won the game. this week should be a breeze, if the culture has changed in dc, we will see. these are the kind of games where we should win, all the fans say were gonna win, and we lose. it should be a good indication of where we are headed

Well I did drink heavily yesterday haha, but the things that stood out for me was Armstrong making that ridiculous goal line grab (which should have been a TD). Fred Davis got open frequently and also had a great jumping catch. Moss got open as usual. Grossman was serviceable, which is all we are really asking from him. He had a couple overthrows but I thought he zipped some passes in there when needed. Hightower had some solid runs. Defense was stellar, Kerrigan made a great athletic move. When's the last time we had a huge play like that on defense? Seems like a while other than a few Hall plays the past couple years.

I am not so sure that LL does not make that play. Reed is slow to react and was completely out of position to begin with on both plays. I hope LL gets well soon and I wonder what happened to Moore. Also would not hurt to see more Gomes after that display.

The OL I think is still a work in progress and hopefully will gel, but Williams needs to collect himself as he is going to face some really good pass rushers. I also would like to see what Helu and Torain can do subbing for TH.

A lot of people are going after Trent Williams but I thought Jamaal Brown had an awful game as well. I don't know if the O-Line thought with Tuck and Umeniyora (and whoever else on their d-line) out that they could relax but they really got out played on a lot of plays. And Jason Pierre-Paul looked pretty fierce he could really tear some people up this year.

The only real glaring issue I saw was Grossman standing still as the pocket collapsed around him. Maybe 2 more steps back in his drop, or scramble to the right some, but freezing with them breathing down his neck wasn't making me too comfortable. There was alot of over-pursuing by the Giant d-line, but overall it seemed to be a big improvement from the last 4-ish years...

I don't think Grossman did anything wrong when the OLine got burnt and there was no time to pass. If you don't have any pass protection, another 2 steps back is only going to lose more yards. There were some obvious breakdowns on the OLine and they were out muscled and the depth the Giants have on their DLine is insane. For what it's worth, the OLine had plays where they were burnt from the snap and there were also times when they gave Rex the extra second and he connected for some good 3rd down conversions and a couple long shots. I just think it was a hard fought and average performance by the OLine vs a very deep Giants DLine.

Rex is Rex, but he is more comfortable in this system. It's obvious. So, as much bad Rex that showed up yesterday was far outweighed by the good Rex as he's faster in his decision making. The fumble was bad Rex. He didn't throw a pick...good Rex. Over 300 yards passing and 2 TD's, good Rex. Overall I give Rex a B performance and I was happy it didn't take him too long to get comfortable and in a rhythm.

Defense was strong. Yes, Reed was burnt a few times for some big plays. That's what you get with Reed. He's serviceable. Fact is, that didn't cost the Skins the game and it was part of the game plan. 'Make them win via Eli'. They only rushed for 75 yards. That was part of the game plan. We had 4 sacks and the Giants had 4 sacks. I call that an improvement. The defense scored 6 points. Overall I give them a B performance. Getting LL healthy and the safeties comfortable will take away some of those big plays.

Kicking....Gano, 'Come On Man!' He's got to make those kicks from inside the 45 yard range. His kickoffs are good. Punting was really good and I'm not sure how many times they were inside the 20 but it seemed like most of the time. Overall I give the kicking a C. Needs improvement on field goals.

Special Teams need to quit it with the blocking in the back. That's just poor. They didn't give up any large returns and the accidental blocked field goals was huge! Overall I give them a B.

Team get's an all around B for week 1. I think they know that they made a lot of mistakes and left a lot of plays on the field. The drops, the missed tackles, the missed gaps, the protection issues, and missed blocking assignments all need to be studied. They'll be better next week. I look for baby steps in improvements from week to week with this new attitude.

HTTR!!!

1. Chris Cooley did not look like himself on the field. He looked smaller and slower somehow. He's one of my favorite Redskins, so I'm shedding any predisposition. Perhaps it's because he saw so little game time and never really got in the rhythm. I'm pulling for a full recovery and a return to full production and clutch grabs.

He set the All-Franchise mark for a tight end so congrats to him for that. But he looked like a completely different guy out there. I recall a run to the right that Hightower got to the "second level" and Cooley was coming up on a defender and just whiffed on him and the defender brought TH down on a play that could have easily gotten a first. A very un-characteristic day for Captain Chaos. I really hope they aren't trying to rush him back. Davis played lights out and Paulsen is serviceable at the very least. Cooley really hasn't been "right" since the MNF game 2 years ago that he messed up his ankle. Let's get him 100% healthy and then get him back out there back to normal. And the same thing with Landry. Stop putting band aids on injuries that need to fully recover.

---------- Post added September-12th-2011 at 01:02 PM ----------

On the positive side. Check out NFL.COM 's latest cover. :)

HTTR!!!

:D "Redskins Rex-tacy"

Trent Williams

Dude got BEAT by Pierre-Paul.... yeah that Pierre-Paul. At best I am hoping he prepared for Justin Tuck and really had no clue about Pierre-Paul. I can't blame Rexy for fumbling the ball when Trent gave the guy a free pass to him. 4th overall pick, you need to step up BIG-TIME.

Rex Grossman/playcalling.

So refreshing seeing a QB throw 20+ yards, so use to seeing it from other teams and NOT the Redskins. Even with suspect pass protection, Grossman found times to heave it deep. Great job after he settled into the game. Could get the ball a tad lower so phillips wouldn't tee off on our receivers.

Reed Doughty

Could be a decent Linebacker, maybe. Can't cover a turtle. Tackled well, just sucks at pass defense.

Run game

Maybe we can add a cutback in there, it looked wide open most of the game. This may not be part of the Shanahan 1 cut system though.

The offensive line is no where near what I thought they would be after watching the preseason games. The Giants were thin on their defensive line without two of their top playmakers and we only avereged 2.8 YPC. I'm worried about their play both in pass blocking and run blocking.

That is a legitimate concern, but we are in the middle of a rebuilding process. Building a sturdy o-line can take a 2-3 years.

The giants stacked the box the entire game as well.

Hopefully as they play together more and more the line will develop better chemistry because they didn't play well yesterday.

Anyone else love that 9-2 front Haslet showed? That's the "exotic" stuff I expected to see last year. I think he may have thrown in the towel and saved it all up for this year when we could compete.

A shout out to Josh Wilson playing seemingly tight man all day long. Reed was shading his side when he got burned deep. Haslet should adjust and realize Josh doesnt need Reeds help.

I think Kerrigan has better hands than both Tongs Carter and Rogers.

See i dont really agree with this. I still feel like we are going to have a major issue with stopping the run. For some reason the Giants got away from it yesterday and decided to go pass happy. IDK what Jacobs and Bradshaw were averaging but i bet its was up around 4-5 yards a pop.

I think our D is going to be much better and i was very happy with the way we played. Im just worried about stopping the run.

I don't know why the Giants didn't run the ball more. They were making good yardage on first downs for the most part when they ran the ball. I guess they thought they could have their way with the pass too and fell in love with it too much. I hope they decide to run more when they play Philly and Dallas. I was impressed with their front four pressure on defense as well.

All that being said, great win for the Skins who are only going to get better.

It may just be that both games were against NFC East rivals but this game reminded me a lot of the Opener last season. Started off rough, battled through, other team made mistakes and penalties, big defensive play turned the tide. I recall everyone talking about how the team "battled back" etc. and how the mentality had changed and then the Texans go out and put up 400+ yards off passing on us. And this offseason all the talk has been the new "team culture" they have to prove that against Arizona this Sunday or I have a feeling this year may just be a slightly better version of last year.

---------- Post added September-12th-2011 at 10:36 AM ----------

Rocky Mac did have an unmentioned big game yesterday. His penetration on those fourth down stops was huge!

Big difference between the Dallas mistakes last year and New York's mistakes this year is that their mistakes were fully forced. While the fumble at the end of the half against Dallas was itself forced, the opportunity should have never arose (Romo sits to pee should not have thrown the ball or, if had, Choice should have just hit the deck once he caught it). They just plain missed their short FG earlier. Kerrigan's pick-6 came on a play the g-men should have called and had had some success with that play before. The g-men's short FG attempt was blocked. While the g-men left no points on the field and gave up no points due to an unforced error, we did leave 3 (and, arguably, more though on Armstrong's drop on that deep pass, it did seem to have the DB's hand under the ball). What does make me think of last year, is that the Cardinals could prove loosely analogous, at least in my mind, to the Texans.

Big difference between the Dallas mistakes last year and New York's mistakes this year is that their mistakes were fully forced. While the fumble at the end of the half against Dallas was itself forced, the opportunity should have never arose (Romo sits to pee should not have thrown the ball or, if had, Choice should have just hit the deck once he caught it). They just plain missed their short FG earlier. Kerrigan's pick-6 came on a play the g-men should have called and had had some success with that play before. The g-men's short FG attempt was blocked. While the g-men left no points on the field and gave up no points due to an unforced error, we did leave 3 (and, arguably, more though on Armstrong's drop on that deep pass, it did seem to have the DB's hand under the ball). What does make me think of last year, is that the Cardinals could prove loosely analogous, at least in my mind, to the Texans.

Good points. I really agree that the Cardinals could come out like the Texans did last year against us. I really don't wanna see Reed Doughty trying to cover Larry Fitz going down the field :thud:

This has been touched on, what impressed me is how the receivers went out and made some great catches. It's about time that the passes don't have to be picture perfect for a play to work. How long has it been since we've had guys in receiving positions who go out and make a play? Fred Davis was fantastic.

The Kerrigan touchdown still makes me shake my head. It really is something that this guy has the ability to locate that ball, that quickly no less, in the air and catch it.

A few thoughts:

We saw and got some pictures of $nyder sucking up to Colin Powell before the game. The guy next to $nyder looked a bit like Vinny, but some fans near us confirmed that it was not the "special one." We were very concerned.

It was interesting seeing Big Mike Sellers on the sideline in warmup gear. He was very into the game, but we could tell that he REALLY wanted to be out there. After each offensive play, he was coaching up the rooks.

Landry is extremely jacked. He knows it and like to show off. It was somewhat comical seeing the rest of the team in regular warm ups and sweats and LL in a skin tight UnderArmor shirt that was about 2 sizes to small for him. Don't tell him I said so though. :ols:

We just saw the replay on the blocked punt. Rak was the one that blocked it. Us and everyone at the afterparty were wondering who blocked it.

Last but not least... The ES tailgate was AWESOME! My wife is a Skins fan, but this was the first time that she left the game talking about how much fun she had, and that she couldn't wait to come to another game. Couldn't ask for a better group of folks to tailgate with. You all rock!

I'm just glad we look like an NFL team.

We have a QB who throws the ball downfield, and in the middle of the field. Campbell and McNabb did not do this.

We have an offensive line that doesn't get completely demolished EVERY play, just every now and then (like most NFL offensive lines).

We have a defense that can actually get stops when it matters (4th down) instead of folding whenever the other team needs to score.

Not to say we won't revert back over the next 15 weeks, but that's what it looks like. We're competitive! Finally!

Our two tackles (who are supposed to be the strong points of this o-line) got abused yesterday. Grossman got hit waay too much & w/o Hightower playing virtually every snap, it could've been worse.

Our defense is vastly improved and will be just that much better once Landry returns.

I felt like our running game should have been more productive and also Hightower shouldn't be taking so many snaps. That's why Helu and Torrain were active. I know we needed him to pick up the slack from our o-line but thinking for the long-term, his snaps/carries should be slightly reduced.

Cofield had a pretty good game but not nearly as dominant as I thought he would be. Neild looks to be an excellent back up.

Overall good performance and if this team continues to play this way, with a few improvements we should be contenders within the next couple seasons. (Yeah i said it..)

Archived