Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Morning After Thread

SIXX99

So if you are like me you have been playing the game back over in your head since last night and you have some small, random "morning after" thoughts about the game after you have had time to let the initial emotions of the game die down. Here are some of mine...

I thought it was surprising that Niles Paul got playing time in the game while Stallworth (who IMO was better on special teams in preseason than Paul) and Hankerson were both inactive.

On that first deep completion for the Giants where Reed Doughty got burnt I can't help but think that even if Landry would have been in the outcome of that play would have been the same.

DHall, at least for one game, showed he can make a crucial tackle and be a leader on defense.

I think that next week is an even bigger test after getting the win yesterday. We will likely be a slight favorite against a team that we should beat easily. We need to go out and win that game outright and not play down to their level after a big win from the previous week like we have done in the past.

We need to fix the oline quick or this season could take a very nasty turn. John Beck will play at some point this year. Rex took a Patrick Ramsey/Jason Campbell esq beating yesterday.

On D, Rocky stepped up in the second half. Ryan looks to be coming on but Orakpo is still over pursuing on plays. Any update on LaRon?

I think the deep pass in the first quarter would have probably had the same result with LL back there...

however, the deep middle throw to the TE would have been picked or blown up by LL IMO....

o line pass pro got a little better as game went on...still needs improvement though....

I agree that next week is a big test.... one that we would have failed in the past... coming off a big divisional win, this is one we usually stink up...

It may just be that both games were against NFC East rivals but this game reminded me a lot of the Opener last season. Started off rough, battled through, other team made mistakes and penalties, big defensive play turned the tide. I recall everyone talking about how the team "battled back" etc. and how the mentality had changed and then the Texans go out and put up 400+ yards off passing on us. And this offseason all the talk has been the new "team culture" they have to prove that against Arizona this Sunday or I have a feeling this year may just be a slightly better version of last year.

---------- Post added September-12th-2011 at 10:36 AM ----------

We need to fix the oline quick or this season could take a very nasty turn. John Beck will play at some point this year. Rex took a Patrick Ramsey/Jason Campbell esq beating yesterday.

On D, Rocky stepped up in the second half. Ryan looks to be coming on but Orakpo is still over pursuing on plays. Any update on LaRon?

Rocky Mac did have an unmentioned big game yesterday. His penetration on those fourth down stops was huge!

This defense is light years ahead of last years. They dominated the second half of yesterdays game.

Hightower should be pumped for this weeks game and I expect him to have a huge game.

The o-line needs work still. Grossman was battered yesterday.

We stole Hightower and Gaffney. They both played a big role is yesterdays win. Gaffney had a bad drop but made up for it later in the game. Hightower found running difficult yesterday but was huge in pass protection on a few of the big pass plays.

This defense is light years ahead of last years. They dominated the second half of yesterdays game.

Honestly, and this may just be the Kool-Aid sippin' Homer that lives inside me but, the defense played great the whole game. Can you really think of one full length of the field, methodical, 7-10+ play drive that the Giants had? Both of their touchdowns came off bombs on Reed Doughty's poor coverage. The second half was lights out due to the fact that the Giants had to throw the ball because they were playing catch up and we could put pressure Eli.

The offensive line is no where near what I thought they would be after watching the preseason games. The Giants were thin on their defensive line without two of their top playmakers and we only avereged 2.8 YPC. I'm worried about their play both in pass blocking and run blocking.

DHall, at least for one game, showed he can make a crucial tackle and be a leader on defense.
This is sort of a backhanded compliment. D. Hall has been a leader on this defense since the day he arrived. I do not want to imagine the secondary without him.

My personal reaction to the team's play yesterday is that they turned a game that they could have won by 25 into a game that they won by 14. They are a lot better than they realize.

Rex Grossman is still Rex Grossman....he is going to win us alot of games cause the dude has guts and is not afraid to try and make a play, but that attitude is also going to lose us some games. He is still the better option than John Beck

Reed Doughty's coverage compared to a blanket is like an afgan....full of holes...

Deangelo Hall played a great game....and I still dont like him

It was a good solid win, however facing pass heavy teams like Arizona next week its gonna be a tough road....I still think we can win but we have to shore up the pass defense, this means getting more 3/4 man pressure on the qb and dropping more guys back into coverage.

O-line still needs work

Overall I am happy, we are not a super bowl team but we are gonna be competative, and give teams some tough games...we may just sneak into the wild card witha little luck

Did anybody else find it interesting that all three teams that we beat in pre-season lost yesterday? Even though two of them played each other it was one sided and the Ravens, the team that (barely) beat us completely obliterated the Steelers, the team that was IMO our biggest pre-season win.

The only real glaring issue I saw was Grossman standing still as the pocket collapsed around him. Maybe 2 more steps back in his drop, or scramble to the right some, but freezing with them breathing down his neck wasn't making me too comfortable. There was alot of over-pursuing by the Giant d-line, but overall it seemed to be a big improvement from the last 4-ish years...

This is sort of a backhanded compliment. D. Hall has been a leader on this defense since the day he arrived. I do not want to imagine the secondary without him.

I don't want to imagine the secondary without him either, the dude is a playmaker. What I meant by that was, he has matured as a leader. He is well rounded player now at his position on the field and at his role off the field and act practice as a captain and mentor.

Honestly, and this may just be the Kool-Aid sippin' Homer that lives inside me but, the defense played great the whole game. Can you really think of one full length of the field, methodical, 7-10+ play drive that the Giants had? Both of their touchdowns came off bombs on Reed Doughty's poor coverage. The second half was lights out due to the fact that the Giants had to throw the ball because they were playing catch up and we could put pressure Eli.

See i dont really agree with this. I still feel like we are going to have a major issue with stopping the run. For some reason the Giants got away from it yesterday and decided to go pass happy. IDK what Jacobs and Bradshaw were averaging but i bet its was up around 4-5 yards a pop.

I think our D is going to be much better and i was very happy with the way we played. Im just worried about stopping the run.

The only real glaring issue I saw was Grossman standing still as the pocket collapsed around him. Maybe 2 more steps back in his drop, or scramble to the right some, but freezing with them breathing down his neck wasn't making me too comfortable. There was alot of over-pursuing by the Giant d-line, but overall it seemed to be a big improvement from the last 4-ish years...

Also what was up with Grossman throwing such high passes? Our receivers are short with the exception of Fred Davis who is by no means an extremely tall guy and (inactive yesterday) Leonard Hankerson.

See i dont really agree with this. I still feel like we are going to have a major issue with stopping the run. For some reason the Giants got away from it yesterday and decided to go pass happy. IDK what Jacobs and Bradshaw were averaging but i bet its was up around 4-5 yards a pop.

I think our D is going to be much better and i was very happy with the way we played. Im just worried about stopping the run.

I think I'm between the two of you guys....:ols:

The one drive was fluky in that we got burned for a 60+ yard completion. But, those things happen and it may have even happened with Landry there. The second scoring drive was more methodical to me and felt more like a drive that the Giants earned. I've seen them do that to us many times over the past few years even with Landry in there.

As for their running game, they were certainly doing better than we were, but I don't think they were even at 4 yards per carry. All in all though, I think our D will be up and down and inconsistent. I think we'll have stretches like yesterday's second half where we look like a dominant unit and stretches where we give up 3 straight scoring drives. If teams stay ahead of the chains on us, I think they can keep us off balance. One improvement (so far, at least) is that we have the ability to pin our ears back and disrupt teams in obvious passing downs. That hasn't always been the case and I hope it continues. We might feel slightly more comfortable with 10+ point leads this year.

I think I'm between the two of you guys....:ols:

The one drive was fluky in that we got burned for a 60+ yard completion. But, those things happen and it may have even happened with Landry there. The second scoring drive was more methodical to me and felt more like a drive that the Giants earned. I've seen them do that to us many times over the past few years even with Landry in there.

As for their running game, they were certainly doing better than we were, but I don't think they were even at 4 yards per carry. All in all though, I think our D will be up and down and inconsistent. I think we'll have stretches like yesterday's second half where we look like a dominant unit and stretches where we give up 3 straight scoring drives. If teams stay ahead of the chains on us, I think they can keep us off balance. One improvement (so far, at least) is that we have the ability to pin our ears back and disrupt teams in obvious passing downs. That hasn't always been the case and I hope it continues. We might feel slightly more comfortable with 10+ point leads this year.

You alluded to it towards the end of your post here but the ability to get pressure on Eli was what won this game for us. When he gets even a little rattled the Giants drop their gameplan or in this case running game and go to quick passes to keep the hits off him.

QB took too many hits.

Trent has to get better, more consistant (and he will).

Defense was fun to watch. Pass pressure will help us compete within the division...finally.

Hope to see some RB rotation, although I'm ok with Tim being the main guy (plus it seems they will need his pass pro.

Best game Davis has had especially taking hard hits and holding on to the ball.

Please let LL get healthy. He could make the defense something really special.

The Giants were ready for our ZBS and very disciplined defensing it. Getting to the second level to block is great but not if you don't block the first level!!!

I don't think the Rex "feast or famine" style will change much but he does seem to be well suited to this offense and can be productive in it. It seems so easy to make him fumble.

Very few mistakes/penalties by the skins.....Gano (arrrrrgh!...I can't defend him much longer).

Brandon Banks - undrafted guy who is shorter than my 12 year old, unknown outside of D.C. but people fear him and game plan around him. Cool.

Morning after thoughts? I went to the game, and now have watched the highlights at home and online. Some observations:

1. Chris Cooley did not look like himself on the field. He looked smaller and slower somehow. He's one of my favorite Redskins, so I'm shedding any predisposition. Perhaps it's because he saw so little game time and never really got in the rhythm. I'm pulling for a full recovery and a return to full production and clutch grabs.

2. The throwing-down packages seem to be working. I saw a variety of looks, that had the Giants guessing as the ball was snapped. Excellent design.

3. Weak side runs were not working. Maybe the team was focusing on deception, or aiming at a weakness on the Giants D-line, but on more than 3 occasions, the Skins ran to the SHORT side of the field, on the side OPPOSITE of the tight end (usually Fred Davis)... to disastrous results.

4. The crowd seemed pumped and ready to cheer. From our seats (section 426) it sounded LOUD. I have not heard any comments from the media or a TV watcher yet, but I'm proud of the fans, who are beginning to realize that crowd noise CAN affect a play.

I feel great about the team, and I like all the talk about chemistry and love hearing coaches and team members saying there is "something special" about the team and the attitude this year. This bodes well...

Bring on Arizona!

Hail to the Redskins!

JG

Did anybody else find it interesting that all three teams that we beat in pre-season lost yesterday? Even though two of them played each other it was one sided and the Ravens, the team that (barely) beat us completely obliterated the Steelers, the team that was IMO our biggest pre-season win.

I did not.

4. The crowd seemed pumped and ready to cheer. From our seats (section 426) it sounded LOUD. I have not heard any comments from the media or a TV watcher yet, but I'm proud of the fans, who are beginning to realize that crowd noise CAN affect a play.

Watched the game on TV yesterday. Was one of the louder games i've heard in a while. Others who watch it at home said the samething.

Thanks for starting this thread. For some reason this site usually lacks a general discussion post game thread. The preferred threads are about very specific topics, usually rehashed and bumped up for weeks. Brandon Jacobs said we sucks. Hate on Devin Thomas thread. Who cares.

I care about our team. Our offense was great on a day our line play was struggling. The defense scored a TD and got to Manning and he wilted. That is huge. Every year the best teams are in the league lead in sacks, and usually can get pressure with just 4 men. we did that yesterday. Even teams got into the act, blocking a kick and pinning NY on great punts and kicks all day.

Looking ahead to Arizona, I'm a little more nervous now as to how well they played offensively. Or, is Carolina that bad? Kolb spread the ball all around and the top four receivers had a 20+ ypc. Plus, the timing looked real good whereas Rex's timing looked a little off since our receivers had to make some good grabs.

If our D can get the same or better penetration, then I think it may go the way of the Giants' game. I don't think Kolb has ever beaten or played well against the Skins.

Offensively, it looks like we could have a field day. Arizona played heavy against the run, hoping to have Cam Newton beat them through the air. My guess is that the OC for Carolina predicted this and made his game plan to be pass-heavy. And, he looked like he made the right call. But Carolina's D is what lost them that game. Still, it was close to the very end.

But still, the Cardinal's passing attack is causing me to worry. I think they're really going to attack our secondary. QB pressure and turnovers will be key this week.

Thanks for starting this thread. For some reason this site usually lacks a general discussion post game thread. The preferred threads are about very specific topics, usually rehashed and bumped up for weeks. Brandon Jacobs said we sucks. Hate on Devin Thomas thread. Who cares.

:thumbsup:

I will try to make a weekly thread or bump this one each week for post-game discussions. It's a good thread because we can talk about things that aren't really "thread worthy".

Archived