Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please Tell Me, Why Didn't The Skins Go After David Akers?

DM72

he was money in the preseason, his miss which was a big kick in the game makes me think the dude doesn't like pressure

-

I don't get why people think that preseason is no pressure for a kicker. He's trying to make the team. Whether or not there is another player in camp, a kicker is always proving themselves because they know they can be replaced at any time.

Kickers also don't get time to develop. Unlike any other position, they have to start to make the team and they have to produce right away.

It just goes to show that the fanbase has no patience for growing pains.

I knew the preseason was too good to be true. This guy is going to F the Skins up big time. They need all the points they can get.

You cannot miss a 39 yarder, ever.

Im not one to do this often

But I'd be willing to bet he'd end up on another team and do well if we did cut him

Thing is who needs FG's when you can score TD's?

The 4th down play I thought was run because of Gano's earlier miss and was the right thing for us to do

If say he had made that first one, we would have forced him to try a 50+ yarder there I'm guessing and would have given the Giants better field position

That one miss probably helped us in the end

i dunno man, how many mulligans can this guy get?

this is the start of his 2nd full season. I was pissed off he missed the FG also, especially after being perfect through preseason. but a young kicker needs more time and confidence to grow. I say roll with him for now, but if he stinks up the joint heading into the bye, then I'd find a replacement for him at that time. Our bye is week 5 though, which I don't think is enough time, so unless he has a repeat of last season where he's making less than 70% of his FGs, I think he'll get the whole season.

Some of you just need to step away from the ledge. He's 24 years old, and will get better.

He was given competition this off-season and convinced the coaches to keep him. Nobody complained during the 4 games in 2009 where he was 4 for 4.

In 2010, he had a bad season, as did the rest of the team. On Sunday, He missed A field goal he should have made, but his kickoffs have been very good. This team will most likely roll with Gano, and if he falters, bring in some competition.

Does anyone want to develop their OWN talent, and keep them for several years instilling a sense of loyalty and esprit-de-corps? Or is it just easier to cast off developing talent for the shiny new toy?

You say this as if the preseason didn't happen and that it's a conclusion that he continues to suck ass

No kickers perfect, time will tell if RC is wrong or not

Most of us believe he will improve this year

Looking at last year and missing a makable FG to start this year, I'm not optimistic at all he's just all of a sudden get better.

---------- Post added September-12th-2011 at 02:25 PM ----------

Will Akers be kicking in the NFL in 5 years?

The question is, will Gano?

Looking at last year and missing a makable FG to start this year, I'm not optimistic at all he's just all of a sudden get better.

---------- Post added September-12th-2011 at 02:25 PM ----------

The question is, will Gano?

I know absolutely that Akers wont be. Im willing to give Gano a season to find out if he CAN be.

Of course, there's no reason to be optimistic, it's nothing but blind faith at this point. He misses long, he misses short, he misses mid-range. He has shown absolutely nothing to suggest that he can, or will get better.

I'm all for developing young players, but you don't waste YEARS developing a friggin kicker, let alone one who has been as bad as Gano.

God I hate kickers. Can we just eliminate them from the game already? I watch football to see roided up lunatics try to kill eachother, not to watch some nancy-boy who failed at soccer kick a ball at open space.

And you say it as if it's not.

Accuracy and distance can be improved.

Dude is not gonna improve. He is what he is.

---------- Post added September-12th-2011 at 02:44 PM ----------

Of course, there's no reason to be optimistic, it's nothing but blind faith at this point. He misses long, he misses short, he misses mid-range. He has shown absolutely nothing to suggest that he can, or will get better.

I'm all for developing young players, but you don't waste YEARS developing a friggin kicker, let alone one who has been as bad as Gano.

God I hate kickers. Can we just eliminate them from the game already? I watch football to see roided up lunatics try to kill eachother, not to watch some nancy-boy who failed at soccer kick a ball at open space.

I agree.

Everyone knew gano was missing that kick. Rocca knew it too; i could tell by the look in his face when he looked at grahm before calling hike. But he really is a bad kicker. anyone who has watched football for any extended period of time should know that he is a terrible kicker. Everyone i watched the game with yesterday (i live in south jersey so im the only skins fan in my group) was questioning how it was possible that we didn;t find anyone better. they all joked that there were probably people on the stands who would be better options then gano. The whole game i was subject to jokes about how the redskins only need to get down inside the 2 in order to be in field goal range. Mike Shanahan is making the redskins a formidable team. But Gano has the possibility of keeping us in joke status.

I say we trade for Robbie Gould

Dude is not gonna improve. He is what he is.

Your so sure about that?

Well if he makes his NEXT attempt, he has improved.

Step back, and relax. The kicker is not that big of an issue, and unless he completely tanks, I suspect Shanny and Allen will give him some time. He was pretty good in the pre-season, but those types of things must make no difference in the knee jerk reactions of extremskins.

One attempt, and he missed. Next attempt, he just might make it. Oh my gosh, that's improvement.

Archived