Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Beck v Rex Grossman Preseason 2011. FINAL NUMBERS

Destino

Seems like when Beck is in people start wondering about the OLine's ability. I like Beck a lot and I think he has a stronger arm than Grossman to go along with his obviously superior foot speed. The problem however is that he's shown himself to be bad under pressure. I don't think we can point at the OLine everytime this guy gets in trouble. He needs to be better at getting rid of the football and reading the defense prior to snapping the ball.

Beck looked like he was trying too hard last night. I must have said 10 times that he needed to relax and just play. I think he did that in his first couple performances, but last night he seemed like he wanted to prove himself so much that he tried to force things too much. Every QB has good games and bad ones, and last night was mostly with second stringers and players on the bubble, so it will be interesting to see what Shanny decides.

I still think Beck needs experience to learn and develop so he may be the starter, and Grossman looks like an excellent backup with his knowledge of the system. I agree with most that I think both will play this season either due to poor performance or injury. Either way, this team will be carried by the defense and running game, so the QB won't have to do much more than just manage the offense, and I believe either of them have the ability to do that.

after reading all of these threads for the entire preseason i think the majority of the support can be given some rash generalizations:

supporters of sexy rexy: we're a playoff team and rex can take us there (unrealistically optimistic, although i would love to eat some crow over this)

supporters of beck: this is colt brennan 2.0, let him play! i'll take an unknown vs. a known anyday (not quite understanding that unknown might be unknown for a reason)

supporters of clemmens: seriously? get a job.

in reality we're not a team that is on the edge of being absolutely abysmal or playoff contenders depending on which of these two guys gets the start. those who say rex is going to win you more games tend to gloss over that rex is going to lose you games too, and in horrible, horrible fashion.

and for those who think beck has "upside," sorry to tell you but that tops out at slightly above average if we're lucky.

instead of spending all of this time arguing over which one we should pick or who's going to be a better theoretical qb, how about we take a look at the other improvements this team has made. let's not let the media convince us that it's the "year of the quarterback" and a good quarterback can win 13 games with an offensive line that was drafted from peewee football.

My feeling on this now is that both QB's have shown they are more than capable of getting the job done. I like both of them, but I think the job belongs to Rex.

I think Beck could be the guy down the road, (even this season if needs be) but I'm just not sure he's ready just yet. I see why the Shanahan's like him. He has a lot of upside, and certainly he is not the punch-line the national media have made him out to be. If the team continues to groom him who knows how far he could go.

In addition to all that, he seems like a really decent man.

This just in: Beck isn't good.

No matter how you guys try to spin it, the guy has shown very little since he entered the nfl 5 years ago.

Rex is no Tom Brady, but he's a hell of a lot better than Beck. It's really not as close as you guys are making it out to be.

I posted this in the other thread but it's about comparison in performance which fits this topic:

All I really saw was both QBs performing terribly with the 2nd string WRs (Grossman in the Colts game, and Beck in this game). Lots of overthrowing and missed timings/communications. Beck seems to have a good connection with Austin, but otherwise he hasn't been able to hit Paul or any of the other 2nd string WRs real well either. Remember that when he played with 2nd stringers for a series in the Ravens game and he pretty much solely went to Austin.

I think Becks poor performance was worse than Grossman's in the Colts game. However, it seems our starting OL this game was just plain terrible especially against 2nd stringers (could be cause they didn't game plan any this game but still.... starting OL should not be that terrible against backups).

Beck's positive performances were slightly better than Grossman's overall (more scoring drives even when you count miss FG) aside from Grossman's nice 2 minute drill.

If it was a dead heat going into this game I think Rex has the job. If the Shanahan's feel that Beck's roll out and running skills + connection with the first string WR are still superior to what Grossman offers I think he starts. They will probably just avoid having him in the pocket as much since he didn't look comfortable there if he starts against the Giants.

This argument is 100% flawed. Beck led more scoring drives even when you count miss FGs? Hmmm how about the TD drive that Beck led when Hightower ran them all the way down the field?

Beck's connection with the first string WRs is better than Grossman's connection with the first string receivers? You might want to rethink that one as well...

Santana had 7 catches and a touchdown in the first game against Pitt with Grossman and two more in the third game...oh yea and one of those was a touchdown too. He caught one pass in the second game from Beck and one pass in the third game from Beck.

Beck has a better connection with Austin...who won't be starting.

If Beck starts this wasn't a competition, because he did nothing to win it.

Well I've read so many of these threads and it's truly been my entertainment for the last few weeks.

I keep seeing everyone say we know what Rex can do. We know his ceiling. Well I believe that ceiling was one bad game away from being a Superbowl Champion, right? If his ceiling is a Superbowl win sign me up. Also... Rex was playing for the Bears and competing for the job when he actually had a competent backup in Kyle Orton, going for the same job.

The unknown great one, aka Beck, couldn't win the job over a 52 year old, at the time, Trent Green and he was holding Cleo Lemon jock strap. CLEO Lemon. Then after the abysmal display he had starting he got replaced by Josh McCown? Give me a break.

People see way more in Beck than I do.... and this ceiling for Grossman we all know about is a pretty high one.

and this ceiling for Grossman we all know about is a pretty high one.

It is if you measure it from his floor.

I kid, while I would start Beck personally as I see this as a developmental year and I want to see what he can do I have nothing against Rex and will get right behind him if he is the choice.

If the OL plays O.K. in the middle and Hightower does well, I think Rex will be fine. Shanahan may be hard on his QBs, but so is/was Spurrier. Rex played for him for two years and apparently loved it - wanted the Skins to draft him when Spurrier was here from what I read.

I think Rex excels at the play action which will be a threat with this team. This is the best receiving corps he's played with too. He has more options here than he ever had in Chicago with probably a better scheme too.

Bottom line is Beck has shown he cannot be as effective against the blitz as Rex can and the Baltimore game was a great example of that. Who cares that Beck led a touchdown in the 2nd half against backups. Baltimore was bringing the house on the last drive of the 1st half and Rex sliced them up, Rex is a better QB so he should start. I really dont care about upside on 30 yr old QB's and no matter what happens we have to draft a QB next year anyway.

Some people aren't speculating about the future nor judge based on their past circumstances.

Some look at our QB competition from their play on the field this preseason and their tangible QB skills.

I can understand how you could believe it is Beck in that case. However I caution judging QB's solely based on their tangibles, doing so would lead to drafting a Ryan Leaf over a Peyton Manning.

To be honest in my opinion the old eye test truly is one of the best way to judge QB's, so long as the judge is objective and has a good understanding of football.

I can understand how you could believe it is Beck in that case. However I caution judging QB's solely based on their tangibles,
What happened to on the field play?

Oh, no need to caution me friend.

I do value intangibles; actually I think they're more important then tangibles.

But at the same time I accept that from our vantage point intangibles are unknowable unless you trust hersey, which I don't.

To be honest in my opinion the old eye test truly is one of the best way to judge QB's, so long as the judge is objective and has a good understanding of football.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the eye ball test but I think I agree.

You gotta watch them play as much as you can and you gotta know what you're looking at.

Knowing what you're looking at is key; a lack of this ability is why our local media could watch Beck everyday and think he had a weak arm.

Grossman should pull through with the experience factor. Beck truely has more upside and mobility, but has more to learn. Give the nod to Grossman in another critical area that is not usually mentioned, "decisiveness." Grossman is more decisive because he knows the system better, so he should be the one pulling the trigger for now.

Beck needs to learn the system before we are ready to turn him loose, but it's nice to know that he will continue to get better. In fact, I'm predicting that he will overtake Grossman by next season.

Honest opinion? I don't care either way. I feel like we have a decent starter regardless.

Personally, I'd rather see the untested start off the year in John Beck... But, I'd be more than fine with the Cannon.

Same here. If they really believe that Beck can be as good as they said before I'd hope that they 'd give him a year considering all the young guys on the team. But I realize that NFL coaches don't do that much unless its their high 1st round pick. So I'm about 90% sure that Grossman will start until he has a few of his signature bonehead games. If he never does, like Plummer somehow pulled off 1 year in denver, then we'll see how he does in the playoffs, where Plummer did end up losing the Broncos their chance at the SB that year.

If Shanahan could get Plummer to stop making boneheaded mistakes in games then I am sure he can do it with Grossman too, especially considering he's always been a more accurate QB. I'm not so sure about the fumbles though.

Archived