Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Beck v Rex Grossman Preseason 2011. FINAL NUMBERS

Destino

We all know they've both overachieved through the preseason.. Beck came back to earth tonight.. Rex will do the same given the chance.. It is what it is, we'll be dodging inconsistency at the QB position all year, reguardless which gets the starting job.. We just need to brace for reality.. Either way it should be a fun season if we stay healthy!!

Beck look shell-shocked to me, much of the game. I surmised that he did not take well to being named the starter while Grossman sat, and that possibly this was a late-breaking disclosure to the QBs.

That's just a guess, but if I have it right, we might have seen how a very stressed Beck deals with pressure. He stared down almost every receiver from the snap, made bad reads, bad throws, and hurried a throw into the end zone for an INT, rather than stand in against the rush. Mixed in with these plays were some very outstanding plays: some great passes, and some nimbleness when rushed or on the rollout. Very inconsistent. For me, the bad impressions outweighed the good.

I was surprised by the performance in context (playing against backups), but I did see what I expected to see if Beck were a starter in the regular season. I think Beck is a better QB than he looked tonight, but I never believed he'd hold up under real pressure. IMO, the bad plays tonight were partly the internal pressure of feeling his opportunity slip away.

I think the decision was made a long time ago to start Grossman. However, tonight's game will probably bring fan support together behind Grossman. Fans may not all like Grossman, but pulling for Beck to start is simply not seeing what's happening on the field. Beck's got great tools and nice personal qualities, but he's not NFL starter material. In my opinion.

You know you're setting yourself up for some hard Grossman critiques. Just sayin. To much "I told you so rub it in mentality."

You don't think all QBs are largely dependent upon their supporting cast?

Football is the ultimate team sport, every player is to an extent dependent upon the guys playing next to him.

But the elite QBs maximize the talents of those around him while minimizing the weak ones. He makes his team better.

We all know they've both overachieved through the preseason.. Beck came back to earth tonight.. Rex will do the same given the chance.. It is what it is, we'll be dodging inconsistency at the QB position all year, reguardless which gets the starting job.. We just need to brace for reality.. Either way it should be a fun season if we stay healthy!!

Geez man, even the best QBs have not so hot nights. People on this board are EXTREME. Beck didn't have great numbers tonight, but he did have some good plays. I don't think this game was the be all and end all for Beck. I wouldn't write off what our QBs did in the other games as them overachieving. Beck and Rex both played well. Beck was a bit off tonight. Rex was a bit off against the Colts. Nobody bats a 1000.

Football is the ultimate team sport, every player is to an extent dependent upon the guys playing next to him.

But the elite QBs maximize the talents of those around him while minimizing the weak ones. He makes his team better.

Of course.

But they're still largely dependent on their supporting cast.

Here's a riddle: what does an elite QB look like on a team with a bad supporting cast?

any chance that shanahan alternates his starters?

After Beck's patchy performance against the backups tonight I'd expect us to start with Grossman until he inevitably self destructs...at which point we switch to Beck...until he produces another sketchy error ridden performance...then it's back to the Sex Cannon...and so on.

Erm, like he did against the Colts?
I think Grossman played better against the Colts than Beck did tonight. Rex had numerous nice intermediate throws, including some that got negated by drops & penalties. The INT sucked, but it was just one play. Beck had good breaks tonight; he had a bunch of short fields to work with, hard running from Royster & Torain, and only managed 10 offensive points.

lol, this is just great. Beck and Grossman are going to divide the fan base. If Rex starts and has a bad game, the Beck supporters are going to be like "Ah-ha! We told you Rex wasn't consistent. We've watched him in the league for years and he always does this!" If Beck starts and has a bad game, the Rex supporters are going to be like "See, we told you! Beck is a back-up! Rex had better numbers and more experience. He played in the Super Bowl. He should've been the starter." Then arguments will flare up. Some will be banned for a week lol.

Grossman was the sharper QB. He threw for more yards, had thrown for more TDs, and had the higher passing rating during preseason. As a fan, I'd shake my head if Beck wins the job. Grossman clearly won the QB competition this preseason.

Beck was off tonight. I thought the o-line didn't look as sharp either. That said, in the other games, I thought Beck looked sharper and the offense seemed to be faster than it was with Rex, but I thought Rex played very well and had his strengths. I'm fine with whoever Shanahan chooses.

One thing that caught my attention was what a commentator said. He said that Kyle was calling pretty much all pocket passing plays to get Beck some practice in the pocket. He went on to say that Beck's strengths are boot legs and such and there wasn't many of those called. Just a thought.

One thing that caught my attention was what a commentator said. He said that Kyle was calling pretty much all pocket passing plays to get Beck some practice in the pocket. He went on to say that Beck's strengths are boot legs and such and there wasn't many of those called. Just a thought.

Beck can run but he's not an elite running QB and never will be. He needs to be good in the pocket and he got sacked twice as often as slow Rex.

Archived