Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thin-skinned Tea Party is shocked and appalled after "smear" by Biden. - oh, and more global warming....actually a lot of global warming, too much, even. Come, enjoy the partisan bickering!

polywog999

Bet or not to bet...  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Bet or not to bet...

• Do it, good idea!
    • Don't do it, don't waste your money.

Yep, I started reading some of his quotes on the wikiqote page that my search pulled up.

Very interesting stuff. A lot of his quotes draw the lines fairly close to things I see in America's political landscape. Certainly a cause for worry in my opinion.

Yeah, there's little under the sun in the area of human behavior that's new. ;)

Here's what looks to be an interesting site BTW, and I was checking it on various quotes and their attributions.

http://thinklings.org/

I think it all started with the whole "Elitism" nonsense. Remember candidates saying it was good to be in real American at a certain stop? Or going after a specific part of the country like Northeast Elitists? Or going using their education as a sign that they weren't real Americans?

There was a point where being educated beyond a undergrad and sometimes a High School level became evil to some folks. Meanwhile, people get confused why other countries are lapping us in science and math and the skills that are so badly needed in the future.

There was an article I read this week in FastCompany and just found online to share.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/158/china-education

While I don't agree with a lot of what they are doing there. Basically study day and night to serve ONLY their country. Its amazing how is FEELS like there are parts of our nation where being educated is a bad thing.

Responsible use of power to effect needed change to prevent harm to the country in their view(one I agree with,and a responsibility to those that elected them to change things)

But then you had no trouble assigning the terrorist label to a lawful exercise of power did you?:pfft:

So, let me see if I'm correctly grasping the position, here.

Tea Party members of Congress announce their intentions to intentionally harm the economy of the entire country, unless Congress passes a Constititutional Amendment that they don't have the votes to pass, themselves.

twa response: "responsible use of power", and "hey, it wasn't illegal"

Joe Biden calls said Tea Partiers a name. A name which is at least arguably accurate.

twa response: "I expect better behavior from government officials"

Am I grasping that correctly?

Tea Party members of Congress announce their intentions to intentionally harm the economy of the entire country, unless Congress passes a Constititutional Amendment that they don't have the votes to pass, themselves.

twa response: "responsible use of power", and "hey, it wasn't illegal"

Joe Biden calls said Tea Partiers a name. A name which is at least arguably accurate.

twa response: "I expect better behavior from government officials"

Am I grasping that correctly?

He also said the tea party looked fat.

Fwiw, I agree with you.

Though I wish the members of congress would show a little more respect towards the chief executive.:2cents:

I agree but I in truth, President Obama has been casting stones at the GOP for some time himself. It's hard to defend that behavior on either side. Doubly so when you look at what took place four or five years ago. It's poor behavior and it really would be better if it didn't happen but, it's going to happen and it's probably only going to get worse.

I think it all started with the whole "Elitism" nonsense. Remember candidates saying it was good to be in real American at a certain stop? Or going after a specific part of the country like Northeast Elitists? Or going using their education as a sign that they weren't real Americans?

One of the things that is befuddling but still at least somewhat amusing is that the very same people who throw this type of feces against the wall then turn around and talk with glowing adoration about the founding fathers while failing to realize the irony that the founding fathers WERE the elites. They were highly educated intellectual heavyweights, not regular ole six pack Joe. Conclusion: The founding fathers were not "real" Americans.

You are grasping something ....or shoveling it:).....and as with Biden, the Tea Party and I,......only with the best of intentions.

mistertim...perhaps because so many think their education entitles them to being right by default?

The FF's rebelled against other 'elites' over a similar notion.,and the British were not real impressed with their reasoning either. :)

The FF's rebelled against other 'elites' over a similar notion.,and the British were not real impressed with their reasoning either. :)

The loyalists were conservative (favoring the status quo) and the FF's were liberal (favoring something new and "progresive": individual freedom and representative government).

The loyalists were conservative (favoring the status quo) and the FF's were liberal (favoring something new and "progresive": individual freedom and representative government).

therefor the Tea Party is liberal?

Some people say they are and they aren't. Some people say they're not and they are.

This post reminds me of a line from the movie Bull Durham

"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while. ..."

This post reminds me of a line from the movie Bull Durham

"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while. ..."

Best sports movie of all time.

~Bang

No. Legislating who one can choose to marry does not promote individual freedom.

therefor the Tea party is for the status quo and conservative?

If SSM is made legal nationwide and they oppose it they are back to being liberals?

This branding thing is complicated

therefor the Tea party is for the status quo and conservative?

If SSM is made legal nationwide and they oppose it they are back to being liberals?

This branding thing is complicated

Nope, because they'd be reactionary which is also conservative.

mistertim...perhaps because so many think their education entitles them to being right by default?

Everyone thinks they are right in their area of knowledge by default. You certainly seem to think you are expert on the effect the oil industry has on the economy because you live in Texas, don't you? Heck you apparently know more about Texas, big states, budget deficits and unemployment too by this same virtue.

Devout theologians who study seem to think their studies entitle them to being right about their religion ... and everyone else's for that matter.

Those in the military often seem to think their knowledge entitle them to being right about foreign policy.

Why shouldn't someone who's devoted their studies to some other subject consider their opinion equally valid?

No, it's not that. This anti-education kick has really only emerged since Bush became president, and the the Tea Party has taken it to an entirely knew and disturbing level.

No, it's not that. This anti-education kick has really only emerged since Bush became president, and the the Tea Party has taken it to an entirely knew and disturbing level.

I think it has been around much longer, the expansion of federal govt influence in peoples day to day lives being the driver.

Being informed is not quite the same as being right,whether it is me or someone else....let the evidence speak for itself,instead of needlessly imposing conclusions.

Because I say so does not work with adults....unless given that power

Being informed is not quite the same as being right,whether it is me or someone else....let the evidence speak for itself,instead of needlessly imposing conclusions.

Because I say so does not work with adults....unless given that power

I absolutely agree. However, my point was that 'I'm informed therefore I'm right' is not an attitude exclusively held by the educated.

I absolutely agree. However, my point was that 'I'm informed therefore I'm right' is not an attitude exclusively held by the educated.

Under the govt trend it does however impose the experts opinion into law and regulation more and more.....their claim of being right matters in peoples lives daily ......mine much less so

experts are rapidly gaining similar unfavorable status as lawyers have,simply because of the outsized influence....despite both being invaluable

Everyone thinks they are right in their area of knowledge by default. You certainly seem to think you are expert on the effect the oil industry has on the economy because you live in Texas, don't you? Heck you apparently know more about Texas, big states, budget deficits and unemployment too by this same virtue.

Devout theologians who study seem to think their studies entitle them to being right about their religion ... and everyone else's for that matter.

Those in the military often seem to think their knowledge entitle them to being right about foreign policy.

Why shouldn't someone who's devoted their studies to some other subject consider their opinion equally valid?

Well said, though "anti-intellectualism" (and there ARE some common aspects of "intellectualism" and certain behaviors from certain folks as individuals within a bigger group that are undesirable IMO) has been around quite awhile.

I think it has been around much longer, the expansion of federal govt influence in peoples day to day lives being the driver.

Being informed is not quite the same as being right,whether it is me or someone else....

To comment #1, to some extent I agree that any increase in negative perception of "experts" has connection with that political reaction, which explains the "right" being so associated with the attitude. But it doesn't address the terminal and inherent hypocrisy of those same people who will happily acclaim "experts" who take their side (even to the point of fabricating or endorsing very questionable credentials or standings re: such expert sources) on matters like creationism, religious beliefs, economics, justifications for war, anti-global-warming or anything else close to their hearts ;)....to comment #2, that's fine as far as it goes, but it still leaves the matter of so many people having a say and a voice/platform these days even if it's just adding to the white noise on the internet or radio talk shows, that I'l take being genuinely informed on a matter as a rule, over not, in every pontificator volunteering to share their brilliance. :D

That's an understatement, as the tailgate and the stadium certainly demonstrates every day. :evilg:

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 01:07 PM ----------

Jeebus sometimes I ****ing hate the bugs on this damn site. :)

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 01:12 PM ----------

Under the govt trend it does however impose the experts opinion into law and regulation more and more.....their claim of being right matters in peoples lives daily ......mine much less so

experts are rapidly gaining similar unfavorable status as lawyers have,simply because of the outsized influence....despite both being invaluable

Again, hypocrisy reigns (not you, just on the "right" as a broad group in this argument). If we're going to broadly generalize, the right, while attacking "elitism" and "intellectuals" only hates those experts and lawyers who go against their side or pet issue. They love the ones that help them. The left as a broad group does not indict "intellectuals" or lawyers or experts in the same class-castigating manner, but will attack the specific positions or ideas or the specific agent (experts/lawyer/whatever) supporting the opposing view.

Archived