Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Pick one: Brandon Banks, Terrence Austin or Donte Stallworth?

themurf

I don't know WTF Shanny was thinking last year with the Geritol gang of the above and Johnson and Parker in the backfield. It is one of the many reasons I am all for youth. What a difference a year makes.

The Geritol gang, as you name them, was brought into push the younger guys and help change the culture as fast as possible. Joey Galloway was brought in primarily to push Thomas and Kelly and what is sad is that neither of those guys stepped up and it took a street free agent rookie to actually take Galloway down. You also get guys you can cut (if your younger guys do step up like you hope) who are likely to be available of the street and know the system later if you need them.

If Paul gets to the practice squad, no one will grab him unless the Redskins decide to let it happen. Now, when he's moved off the 53 in prep for putting him on the PS, the Giants or some other team may grab him.

Thanks for the technical explanation, yeah I get who have to clear waivers pre being assigned on to the practice squad. But for the purpose of debate, when someone says that we can safely put a player on the practice squad without being plucked, they are implying that no team will pick them up.

Edit: and as for the people posting that Niles Paul is safe as can be clearing waivers and making it to the practice squad, good for you guys. We are both guessing. Could be like Dixon being plucked from us to the Eagles or not. My point is there are plenty of teams needing a WR, and Paul IMO is enticing considering he can return kicks, big guy with speed.

yup.

need 10... you need another Tackle and another Center.

No one keeps 10 offensive linemen on the 53. 8-9 is pretty standard (though if you go 8, usually you'll be keeping 2-3 on your PS and maybe some street guys phone number). During the 80s, Joe Gibbs kept as few as 7 (of course, that was when IR emphasized the word reserve and often forgot the word injured).

I don't think it's an either-or with Banks and Austin. Rather, I think Banks has shown he is indispensable with those two returns. I think it comes down to Austin or Paul for the last receiver spot. Had we not acquired Gaffney, Stallworth might have been a good addition as a veteran presence, but I think we filled that void and should hang on to the young talent.

I just do not see how Banks doesnt make the team. He brings way too much to the return game to ignore. Having a Devin Hester type player that other teams have to plan for because he scares them so much is exciting to me as a fan.

Completely agree. I stand up and start screaming everytime BB is back deep.

If we are truly part of a rebuild and plan on developing youth.... as much as Donte Stallworth would probably help this year... then you have to pass and keep one of the younger guys.

And frankly, both Austin and Paul can return kickoffs and punts. Perhaps not as dynamically as Banks... but possibly so. And they are both likely to be bigger contributors on offense as receives than Banks.

So give me Austin. Austin strikes me as a young Brandon Stokely. Solid, possession 3rd down receiver with good hands and precise routes. You groom him to replace Gaffney some day.

Seems like nobody realizes that the number five and six receiver won't see the field unless they play ST or because of injury. Banks will be back there for every punt and kickoff. Austin or whoever is at the bottom of the depth chart won't see the field. The obvious and only choice should be Banks due to his game changing ability and he will actiually PLAY.

:cool:

Makes you wonder if they keep Cooley (say he can't go by season opener) on PUP for 6 games and end up with 7 WR's for a longer evaluation.

Cooley cannot be go on seasonal PUP. To go into the season on that PUP list, you must be on the preseason PUP and you can only go on preseason PUP if you did not practice in camp (this is why Kelly had to go on IR last year and why he is so cautious this year). Cooley practiced and is not PUP eligible.

Cooley cannot be go on seasonal PUP. To go into the season on that PUP list, you must be on the preseason PUP and you can only go on preseason PUP if you did not practice in camp (this is why Kelly had to go on IR last year and why he is so cautious this year). Cooley practiced and is not PUP eligible.

See post 100. ;)

Any one of these receivers has very little chance developing into more than depth or a solid slot receiver, and when i see the Fitzgerlalds, and Andre Johnsons of the world or the AJ Green, Julio Jones type draft picks I am certainly not pinning high hopes on a practice squad player to take me back to the promised land. And guys like Austin are a dime a dozen, brandon banks/chris johnson/devin hester type speed and game changin ability isn't something u let walk away especially when you discovered it. That's like giving a diamond away for a piece of coal.

Banks is electric, and the field position he can give on returns is very valuable, and seen on a more regular basis than the contributions of a 5th and 6th WR. Part of the Bears' Superbowl run was Hester, part of the Packer's run in the 90's was Desmond Howard.

No one else on our roster is as good in returns, but we have receivers that are as good as and better than Austin or Stallworth. If my selection is only to keep one of the three, then I go with Banks.

Moss, Armstrong, Gaffney, Hankerson, Paul/Austin, Banks is not a bad group at all IMO.

Active Roster1.Moss

2.Gaffney

3.Armstrong

4.Austin*

5.Stallworth**

6.Hankerson***

Practice Squad

1.Paul*

2.Robinson**

Disagree ASF. Paul would not last there.

I think you go with two vets, two second year players and two developing players. The more I think about this team can not afford to keep Gaffney and Stallworth already having Moss, while missing the potential of two others. And the team can't afford to keep Banks as a return only guy if Paul and Hankerson both appear to be up and coming players. If the the two A list players keep producing you can't cut them just to keep a vet for another year. It is a good, but tough spot to be in as somebody said.

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 02:57 PM ----------

Banks is electric, and the field position he can give on returns is very valuable, and seen on a more regular basis than the contributions of a 5th and 6th WR. Part of the Bears' Superbowl run was Hester, part of the Packer's run in the 90's was Desmond Howard.

No one else on our roster is as good in returns, but we have receivers that are as good as and better than Austin or Stallworth. If my selection is only to keep one of the three, then I go with Banks.

Moss, Armstrong, Gaffney, Hankerson, Paul/Austin, Banks is not a bad group at all IMO.

And if that happens based on the remaining preseason games, I'm okay with that. But to keep another cast off, Stallworth over some of these guys with potential would be going back to the ole way of doing business.

Thanks for the technical explanation, yeah I get who have to clear waivers pre being assigned on to the practice squad. But for the purpose of debate, when someone says that we can safely put a player on the practice squad without being plucked, they are implying that no team will pick them up.

Edit: and as for the people posting that Niles Paul is safe as can be clearing waivers and making it to the practice squad, good for you guys. We are both guessing. Could be like Dixon being plucked from us to the Eagles or not. My point is there are plenty of teams needing a WR, and Paul IMO is enticing considering he can return kicks, big guy with speed.

Could be like Dixon but it is much more likely that'll he'll be like the 159+ guys that have gone to our PS. Last season there were myriads of poster saying you can't put Banks or Austin or Torain on the PS because some other team will poach them using Dixon as their example. All not only made it to the initial PSt, Austin actually got to stay on the PS for a good part of the season and Banks got moved on and off it a couple of times.

Active Roster1.Moss

And if that happens based on the remaining preseason games, I'm okay with that. But to keep another cast off, Stallworth over some of these guys with potential would be going back to the ole way of doing business.

This I agree with. Youth over journeyman, but young depth/potential over playmaker/gamechanger =DUMB. Vinny Cerrato DUMB.

Whoever said we need to be evaluating these fringe guys on a special teams perspective is 100% right. Banks as we know, can and will contribute and help us win ball games. Terrence Austin can return kicks if called upon, but probably will not upend Banks for the KR/PR spot. Niles Paul is big and physical and can contribute on special teams outside of returning. Donte Stallworth has almost no value in special teams.

I still have not seen a convincing argument that addresses the following:

Why would another team sign Paul to the active roster, assuming we cut or PS him? (i.e. assuming the Redskins, a bottom-feeding team [especially in terms of WR development], did not deem is preseason performance compelling enough for a roster spot)

The only argument I've seen so far is that somebody tweeted that Paul wouldn't last long if he got cut or PS'ed. The tweeter referenced the Giants being interested, but if they were interested (a) why didn't they draft him, and (B) why do they have so many receivers in camp?

Please remember, in order to "steal" Paul from our PS another team has to sign him to their active roster for several weeks. This is a late-round ROOKIE WR we are talking about. WRs are notoriously slow to develop, rookie WRs are notoriously unpolished, and this is a late-rounder at that. They have to have him on their active roster.

How would you feel if the Redskins signed a rookie WR from the Bengals' practice squad to our 53 man roster? Would you feel like you got a steal? The Bengals cut the guy, he wasn't worth a roster spot on their team...but he was worth a spot on our final 53? He had 2 weeks of training camp, and he has never even been through OUR camp! He doesn't even know how to run the Bengals' routes...but he's going to quickly learn how to run our routes?

:applause::hump:

Whoever said we need to be evaluating these fringe guys on a special teams perspective is 100% right. Banks as we know, can and will contribute and help us win ball games. Terrence Austin can return kicks if called upon, but probably will not upend Banks for the KR/PR spot. Niles Paul is big and physical and can contribute on special teams outside of returning. Donte Stallworth has almost no value in special teams.

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner

Archived