Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Pick one: Brandon Banks, Terrence Austin or Donte Stallworth?

themurf

Practice Squad

1. Paul*
  2. Robinson**

*Has almost zero risk of being claimed by another team. He's this year's Austin.

**At risk of being an outright cut if he doesn't show something.

One of the guys who covers the team forgot whom said on twitter not that long ago if Paul is on the practice squad he's as good as gone. Yeah I don't see him as this year's Austin. He's a 5th rounder whom some of the draft geeks projected to go higher. Big guy with speed. Wouldn't shock me to see a team like the Giants who could use a special teamer and another receiver -- to swoop him up. they have Devin Thomas on their roster right now, and their projected third receiver right now is an undrafted free agent.

If Paul goes to PS he's gone. Simple as that case closed. We'll regret it too. I do believe Banks needs to remain here as well. Also If Hankerson goes to PS he's gone too. No question. I'm not sure Austin knowing the system better than Paul is good argument to keep him. Paul has had like a couple weeks to learn the system vs Austin who has had over a year. Grossman knows the system better than Beck due to his multiple years in it between here and Houston but you don't see Shanahan just handing Rex the job. He's gotta win the job over Beck.

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 01:28 PM ----------

Such a weird thread. I think these three things are obvious, but maybe I'm wrong.

1. Banks is on the team, not on the bubble at all. He's a threat and a star. He won't be cut unless he's beyond the pale in the locker room.

2. Keiland Williams won't make this team. He's not a true FB and he isn't a good RB. He only had his 15 minutes because of the dearth of talent we had last year.

3. Young guys who are 6' tall and can run are a dime a dozen. I like Austin and Paul, but unless they're looking special in camp, one will be put on the PS. If we lose one or both of them, so be it.

Irony. Letting our young guys go to other teams is what caused us to go the WRONG DIRECTION.

Who are all the young guys from the Skins on other teams' rosters?

how about every pick we've given up for the last ten years? We gave up tons of potential great players for us to get old washed up hasbeens. The last two years is the first time we started using/adding picks. For once we draft players tailored to our team's direction and people want to get rid of them.

Serious question: Why is Gaffney so safe?

I haven't followed him much since he got here. Is he really doing well enough to take a spot from a younger guy with "potential"?

I get Moss, Armstrong and Hankerson.

To me, without knowing enough about Gaff it seems, the other 3 should be Banks, Austin and Paul.

I know we traded for him, but we only gave a low-round pick and a player who was likely to be cut to get him.

of the three I hope Austin makes it because it looks like he has a good future as a WR but I am a bit worried that Paul might be the odd man out, wasn't he behind Austin on the depth chart? If Paul hits the practice squad i presume some team grabs him, maybe even the Giants who are looking for WR help.

If Paul gets to the practice squad, no one will grab him unless the Redskins decide to let it happen. Now, when he's moved off the 53 in prep for putting him on the PS, the Giants or some other team may grab him.

Probably true. I can't see us keeping 10 Oline tbh. Cook is a center btw, so I'll just move him down.

Unless you cut both Keiland Williams and Kellen Clemens?

I'd probably see us cutting Clemens and only dressing 2 QB (3rd QB would probably be inactivate game day anyway..). I can't see us cutting both of them though. Both are ineligible for PS because of their NFL experience. Williams can at least play special teams unlike Clemens.

I would agree. Cut Clemens for another OL.

----------------

That would be modified to with 9 OL:

QB (2): Grossman, Beck,

RB (3): Hightower, Torrain, Helu,

FB (2): Young, Williams

WR (6): Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, Hankerson, Banks, + 1 of Paul/Austin

TE (3): Davis, Cooley, Paulsen

OT (4): Williams, Brown, Locklear, Smith

OG (3): Lichtensteiger, Chester, Hicks,

C (2): Montgomery, Cook (C/OG)

= 25

Kelly, Sellers, Stallworth, Clemens all cut. The only expendable slot(s) we have to get another OL on the team if you want 10 OL is to either cut Williams (ineligible for PS) or both Paul AND Austin.

PS Offense (6): Chappel, Hurt, Royster, Robinson, Oldenburg?, + 1 of Paul/Austin

DL (7): Carriker, Cofield, Bowen, Jenkins, Bryant, Golston, Worthington(?)

LB (8): Kerrigan, Fletcher, McIntosh, Orakpo, Alexander, Fox, Riley, Jackson

CB (5): Hall, Wilson, Buchanon, Barnes, Westbrook

S (5): Landry, Atogwe, Doughty, Russell, + 1 of Horton/Gomes

= 25

Moore more likely cut or IR.

Usually we keep at least 8 DL I think for rotation. But since we run 3/4 now it's better to keep an extra LB, correct?

PS Defense (4) = Neild, Thompson, White, Gomes (or one other if Horton gets cut since he is not eligable for PS).

ST (3) = Gano, Rocca, Sundberg

25 Offense + 25 Defense + 3 Special teams = 53 total.

I don't think Anderson Russell and Worthington? are both going to be on the 53. I'd def swap Gomes for Russell, and take Worthington off. Maybe Nield, the rookie CB thompson, White, or the extra space used for one of our WR spots that are so highly debated right now

how about every pick we've given up for the last ten years? We gave up tons of potential great players for us to get old washed up hasbeens. The last two years is the first time we started using/adding picks. For once we draft players tailored to our team's direction and people want to get rid of them.

By the way, I don't disagree with this. I just don't necessarily think the risk of losing one of Austin/Paul is significant. If they're both showing really well, I wouldn't mind losing any of Stallworth, Gaffney or even AA. None of these guys are great. They're good, but not great.

Serious question: Why is Gaffney so safe?

I haven't followed him much since he got here. Is he really doing well enough to take a spot from a younger guy with "potential"?

I get Moss, Armstrong and Hankerson.

To me, without knowing enough about Gaff it seems, the other 3 should be Banks, Austin and Paul.

He is definitely safe. He doesn't drop balls, he runs great routes, he creates separation. He's FAR better than all of the other WRs not named Moss. He does a great job of using his body to shield the defender from the ball and he's got a little aggression in him. He's making this team, upside be damned. He's only two years older than Armstrong and unseated Armstrong in about 3 days of practices.

Irony. Letting our young guys go to other teams is what caused us to go the WRONG DIRECTION.

Who are all these players you speak of? I can think of Pierce and Clark, that's about it.

IMO WR should be;

Moss, Gaffney, AA, Austin, Hankerson, Banks

Someone is most likely going to be picked off of our PS this year, and guess what that's not a bad thing.

By the way, I don't disagree with this. I just don't necessarily think the risk of losing one of Austin/Paul is significant. If they're both showing really well, I wouldn't mind losing any of Stallworth, Gaffney or even AA. None of these guys are great. They're good, but not great.

Only in Washington do we start with one of the worst WR cores and then we freak out that people are going to fall over themselves trying to pick up what would be our 7th WR. Sultan McCollugh and Marcus Mason are smiling somewhere.

He is definitely safe. He doesn't drop balls, he runs great routes, he creates separation. He's FAR better than all of the other WRs not named Moss. He does a great job of using his body to shield the defender from the ball and he's got a little aggression in him. He's making this team, upside be damned. He's only two years older than Armstrong and unseated Armstrong in about 3 days of practices.

Got it. Was just wondering after looking up his career numbers: 31 years old this year, 2010 was his best year for yards (65 rec, 875 yds, 2 TD), only 19 career TD. AA (44, 871, 3) matched that last year in his first season in the league.

The problem with rleasing those players are these are players we drafted for specific reasons. These were Planned Picks not picks we just had no choice to take. Gomes was drafted at the spot he was because Shanahan saw a good safety from a college with reputation for great defense. He knew we needed depth at safety. Paul was drafted for speed and generally good hands. We don't have speedster. Yeah we talk about AA and all that but Paul is a true threat when he gets a catch in open space(not to mention his PR/KR ability. Remember he finished 5th in all purpose yards for a Nebraska player. That's impressive.) Helu was drafted for the obvious reason they we needed a a young RB that can take over the spot one day. Chris Neild was drafted for the need of a nose tackle(though i think Cofield will be starter). Kerrigan was because we needed a linebacker and a blitz. Jarvis was because once again no blitz. Hankerson was because we need a young receiver who could make plays(he just needs time to develop). Thompson, White, Hurt, Royster, and Robinson were players brought here to simply fill places of need.

And they left as pretty expensive FAs, not as cut young talent.

Eh, Archuleta did kind of force the Clark move, but Clark wasn't out-right cut or PSed you are correct in that sense. Same could be said for Pierce, who was it Marshall or somebody we were paying too much for at Mike so we couldn't afford Pierce too.

If Paul goes to PS he's gone. Simple as that case closed. We'll regret it too. I do believe Banks needs to remain here as well. Also If Hankerson goes to PS he's gone too. No question. I'm not sure Austin knowing the system better than Paul is good argument to keep him. Paul has had like a couple weeks to learn the system vs Austin who has had over a year. Grossman knows the system better than Beck due to his multiple years in it between here and Houston but you don't see Shanahan just handing Rex the job. He's gotta win the job over Beck.

So what are you implying here with Austin?

I agree with you that I think Paul will disappear to another team if we try and put him on the practice squad. But I'm thinking Austin will as well. I really like Austin, the guy is quick, he's fast, and he's got good explosiveness after he makes a cut. You saw how he was able to turn that catch over the middle into a big gain with his YAC ability. Not everyone has that. He does.

For the sake of the future of our team, I think our 4th WR needs to be a young guy who will learn a lot from on field experience. Moss/Gaffney/Armstrong have the spots 1 through 3 locked up, and none are young. Austin has better route running than Hankerson and Paul. That comes from knowing the offense and knowing how to do it.

-------------------------------------------

My depth chart (after game 1):

#1-3 Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong

#4 Austin

#5 Paul or Hankerson (If Paul takes the 5th spot, then Hankerson is a lock for the 6th)

#6 Paul or Banks

I do not see how Stallworth makes the roster.

Banks. He's electric when he gets the ball.

Why does most of ES think Paul or Robinson will be snatched off our practice squad? One is a 5th round pick, the other is a 7th.

Robinson not sure. Paul will definitely be gone. When he gets the ball in his hands good things happen. I remember at Nebraska he was real good. When he got the ball with space he made people miss whether that be at a KR PR or WR. What hurt him was probably a few games when he had balls go through his hands that would have been TDs. Paul could have gone earlier had it not been for a few drops. He's as big of a returning threat as Banks.

I don't understand why anybody/everybody thinks that if we cut Paul to land him on the PS, that some team is gonna just come in and scoop him up?!?! If you pick him up while on the PS, he has to be an active player.

I am rooting for Paul but he has no NFL experience, no team just wants our 5th round cuts. I am sure there are a couple teams that might, but we do not know what teams want and or are looking for.

We are not the only team who has young, possible promissing WR's. He was a 5th round pick.

The poster above states the Giants may be looking for WR help. I have a buddy who is a Giants fan and states they have 10 WR's in Camp, including Manningham, Nicks, Hixon and Clayton, who all have more experience then Paul. Not to mention they took a solid WR in the 3rd round, who "fell" like Hankerson. As well as Victor Cruz, last years preseason beast.

They have their own home grown talent to worry about. I am sure they are not watching Paul like there own.

And they have all world Devin Thomas!!

My point is, every team has decisions to make. With a camp of 90 players, most teams have 8-11 WR's fighting for 5-6 spots. Let's not worry about the practice squads just yet.

Not only do you have to put him on your 53, you must keep him on your 53 so for 3 weeks. The only time another team is going to do that is when they've had a long term injury at the position or relatively late in the year when they are out of the running and looking for a guy who might help them next year. In the first case, unless the injury we are talking about shelves the guy for the season, picking up someone from the street is usually a better option if you need a guy who could be capable of taking snaps right away. In those cases, I think we've only lost 1-2 guys off our PS in almost 20 years. Now, there is a solid risk when you cut him initially to move him down but that is somewhat mitigated by the fact that the other teams have their own people to look at (we have lost less than a handful here who became contributors elsewhere in almost 20 years of PS history).

Got it. Was just wondering after looking up his career numbers: 31 years old this year, 2010 was his best year for yards (65 rec, 875 yds, 2 TD), only 19 career TD. AA (44, 871, 3) matched that last year in his first season in the league.

You're not valuing the importance of receptions nearly enough, Gaffney had 20 more. AA is a deep threat working on his intermediate game, Gaffney is a possession receiver that is reliable, he'll help us move the chains this year.

You're not valuing the importance of receptions nearly enough, Gaffney had 20 more. AA is a deep threat working on his intermediate game, Gaffney is a possession receiver that is reliable, he'll help us move the chains this year.

Fair enough. Thanks to you and Truant for the info.

Makes you wonder if they keep Cooley (say he can't go by season opener) on PUP for 6 games and end up with 7 WR's for a longer evaluation.

Cooley can't go on the PUP. He has already practiced with the team at training camp. The same reason MK couldn't go on it last year.

Archived