Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teabagging as a form of hazing/bullying

ljs

I disagree. This was a sexual assault.

If folks think it's normal hazing, then their ideas of what is normal is pretty ****ed up, in my opinion.

It's my experience with people who act like this that it's not a one-time thing, either.

Guys who do this sort of thing don't just do it once. They may not be putting their nuts in someone's face, but they are no stranger to sadistic bullying, I'd bet my last five on that.

This is not likely the first time these poor innocent pranksters have done something along these lines.

I'd make damn sure they realize just what repurcussions come from a sexual assault. You don't get a "boys will be boys" when it goes that far.

If they want to whine about it "ruining their lives" then they should have considered that when they were dropping their pants.

~Bang

You pretty much channeled me on this Bang. Given the nature of group dynamics I'd bet there's only one or two of the perpetrators that fit your description above. The rest were probably just following the crowd.

Either way, these kids need to learn that their actions have consequences, some that they might not even have been aware of. Life isn't going to be giving them a mulligan as they get older so it's high time they learned personal responsibility. Nowadays, 14 is not at all too early for them to learn that lesson.

Given their age and the nature of the offense there's probably some kind of program that would allow them to avoid being branded sex offenders for life as long as they keep their noses perfectly clean. IMHO in a perfect world, that's exactly how it would play out. Unfortunately neither the legal system, nor the world are perfect. So if they did indeed end up being labeled as sex offenders well, they should have thought of that before teabagging this poor kid.

I can understand the idea that this was just a prank and the kids that did it shouldn't be treated overly harshly. I'd probably agree if the prank hadn't gone too far. Unfortunately teabagging crosses the line. I'd be willing to bet most of you would think differently if they'd done this to a young girl.

As for the coach, he really, really needs to be fired for not doing anything about this.

Yet other people who do dumb things when they're 14 deserve to have that stigma their entire lives?.

I never said anything one way or another about this exact case. Personally, I don't think they should be labelled as sex offenders the rest of their lives, but do think stiff punishment of community service, in an embarrassing or humiliating/ humbling way would be a good idea.

I'm mostly commenting on the people who say things like somebody should beat the crap out of these kids, so they learn not to beat the crap out of other kids. Seems pretty counter productive.

My group of friends in HS definitely messed with the first person to pass out/go to sleep. One night around 3-4am, we took one guy to a nearby park, stripped him naked, and left him outside by a bench. The priceless thing was hearing a knock at the door at 8am, opening the door, and seeing the poor guy at the door and some woman across the street staring at the dude's pale ass.

:hysterical: oh man that's cold

Probably the all time funniest was face painting- we drew these big loopty-doo eyebrows and a mustache, etc. on a guy once- he got up and went straight to work the next day and didn't even realize it.

One of our local town drunks, passed out in her car, in the street behind the bar, trying to drive home. She went to her car, drove there, went in to go to the bathroom, came back out and passed out, feet in the street, center console for a pillow. So, we tried to wake her up, we couldn't. We even dumped water on her. I've know 2 people who've driven her home and gotten DUIs under a .10. So, we took her keys, drew a mustache and horns on her and wrote "stop driving drunk" on her face and left her locked in her car. She lives a couple of blocks from the bar and couldn't walk she was so drunk. She's done getting served.

:hysterical: oh man that's cold

Probably the all time funniest was face painting- we drew these big loopty-doo eyebrows and a mustache, etc. on a guy once- he got up and went straight to work the next day and didn't even realize it.

that type of hazing will get you in almost just as much trouble as teabagging nowadays. hazing is a target for sure, now.

i took a class last spring dealing with legal issues in sport. the text book had about 50 different examples from across the country that went to court and the school / coach lost and got hit hard. some of them were hilarious. here's a few examples:

"Male swim team members were hog-tied and used as human bowling balls when rolled down a school hallway floor covered with gallons of liquid soap. New Jersey, 1999"

"Sophomore high school football players were forced to strip and run the length of the field naked while holding crackers in their butt. If they dropped it, they had to eat it. Coaches were aware. Mass. '1985" (a junior college in Cal. in '90 did this with cookies and the penalty for dropping it was drinking a fifth of tequila)

"Sophomore football players were forced to parade w/ fingers inserted into the anus of the player ahead of them in the line." New Jersey, 1988

"Female underclass high school softball players were driven approximately 5 miles out into the country at 2 am, forced to strip to bras and panties and then left to walk back to the team party. One victim was severely injured when caught up in barb wire fence in the dark. Mass. '93)

"Female high school soccer players were forced to simulate sex acts, including oral sex using a banana and penetration using a cucumber. Oregon '97"

"Underclass high school players were forced to do an "elephant walk" where each young man was required to hold onto the genitals of young man walking behind him. N. Carolina '01"

"underclass wrestlers were forced to practice a distraction tech. called "dinking" where a finger is jammed into another wrestler's rectum. The upperclassmen and the coach watched as the underclass wrestlers were forced to practice the move on every other underclass wrestler as part of the teams "Character Building Day". S. Carolina '01" <----this move was talked about recently in a thread here on es

At that age, 3 of the "bullies" could be guilty of being very impressionable kids trying to fit in.

I can remember times as a kid taking part in collective bullying- for no other reason than to show other kids you're one of the guys. It was something I knew was wrong and didn't feel good about, but participated in nonetheless.

That's an extremely tough age- the pressure to fit in and to belong is enormous, and often manifests itself in a hunt or be hunted mentality.

Serious question: Do you have the same sort of attitude for the kids who robbed the 7-11? I mean, sure they broke the law but there were a lot of them, so obviously there was some peer pressure into doing it. Do you feel peer pressure is a legitimate defense in all cases of law breaking, or only in ones involving violence or sexual harassment?

. Do you feel peer pressure is a legitimate defense in all cases of law breaking, or only in ones involving violence or sexual harassment?

you're talking about a pre-meditated event that took careful planning. But even then, I'm not sure why I need to keep repeating myself, what these kids did was wrong and they should be punished for it, severly. I just take exception with the "rape" and "sexcrime" talk which, in this country, carries very severe penalties that last a lifetime.

you're talking about a pre-meditated event that took careful planning. But even then, I'm not sure why I need to keep repeating myself, what these kids did was wrong and they should be punished for it, severly. I just take exception with the "rape" and "sexcrime" talk which, in this country, carries very severe penalties that last a lifetime.

Ok, that I can agree with. It just gets hard to piece together 4 or 5 different posts from the same person in a thread. And I understand that steps from "They should be punished" to exasperation over being labelled as lifetime sex offenders over this. I agree, that label is a step too far. I just get a little worried at how many seem to think that teabagging a passed out friend is the same as beating somebody up and holding them down against their will (using violence) to do it. I think they should be punished, but not for the rest of their lives.

Would this argument be any different if the boys did this to a girl? Sorry if someone already asked that.

I was thinking the same thing. You have a (hypothetical) 13 y/o girl being bloodied up and unwilllingly having some boys (who could be as old as 17 or 18 if they're in H.S.) smack their balls in her face. To me, that's not just assault, but it's a sex crime. Why is it any different b/c this is a 13 year old BOY?

I disagree. This was a sexual assault.

If folks think it's normal hazing, then their ideas of what is normal is pretty ****ed up, in my opinion.

It's my experience with people who act like this that it's not a one-time thing, either.

Guys who do this sort of thing don't just do it once. They may not be putting their nuts in someone's face, but they are no stranger to sadistic bullying, I'd bet my last five on that.

This is not likely the first time these poor innocent pranksters have done something along these lines.

I'd make damn sure they realize just what repurcussions come from a sexual assault. You don't get a "boys will be boys" when it goes that far.

If they want to whine about it "ruining their lives" then they should have considered that when they were dropping their pants.

~Bang

Didn't you take the complete opposite approach in the Jersey Yokozuna moon squat case?

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 03:50 PM ----------

My group of friends in HS definitely messed with the first person to pass out/go to sleep. One night around 3-4am, we took one guy to a nearby park, stripped him naked, and left him outside by a bench. The priceless thing was hearing a knock at the door at 8am, opening the door, and seeing the poor guy at the door and some woman across the street staring at the dude's pale ass.

The thing is, that was pretty much consensual. We only messed with friends and every one of us knew, if you went to sleep first, we were going to screw with you. Fortunately, I only got sharpied.

This type of beating/teabagging is a totally different brand. It's criminal and should be treated accordingly. They might not be sex offenders, but they need a knock at the door from a police officer to straighten **** out.

How do we know it wasn't "consensual"? How do we know the 14 year old didn't "teabag" one or two of the kids the night before?

If this teabagging was in retaliation, would you have a different opinion?

Would this argument be any different if the boys did this to a girl? Sorry if someone already asked that.

Cross-gender, it would definitely be an escalation from prank to sex abuse. But if a bunch of female softball players were to haze another girl is a similar (gender relevant) way, I don't think the arguments would be much different. If anything, I imagine girls imposing a similar prank would be viewed less harshly than the wrestlers were in this thread.

I'm currently a high schooler and I will say that by getting the kids in trouble that tea bagged him, you are only gonna get the kid picked on worse. Whats worse than a kid who tells on you to his parents to a teenager...nothing.

I'm sure glad that I went to a high school more civilized than yours. It doesn't have to be that way, and I don't see why its tolerated. I feel sorry for you.

I'm sure glad that I went to a high school more civilized than yours. It doesn't have to be that way, and I don't see why its tolerated. I feel sorry for you.

Well you did apparently graduate Highschool about 18 years ago, so maybe times have changed..?

And I gotta think that's how it would work at most schools around the country..

Archived