Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Power Rankings: Preseason (Redskins 29th)

JeffSchmeff

hahaha another joke.... Still don't get how people believe Jets and Ravens will actually do anything with their crap QB's

So if Flacco and Sanchez are "crap", then what do you consider Grossman, Beck, and Clemens?

As for the list: Not sure how we can be ranked behind the Browns and 49ers. What a joke. Then again, I don't put any stock in these stupid rankings.

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 03:14 AM ----------

^_- Give me that crappy Joe Flacco any day of the week over the QBs we have now and most other QBs in the league.

+1

There is no way we'll end up as the 4th worst team in the NFL this season. We weren't that bad last year and we got better this offseason. And the schedule is supposed to be easier. People predicting a top 4 draft selection are nuts. Has Mike Shanahan ever picked that high before? Did people forget that he's one of the best coaches of his generation and still among the best in the league?

This defense is a lot better than it was last season, that alone will be worth a few more wins. This is finally a healthy organization and a good team. Things are so much better going into this year than they were going into last year. The toxicity we've known for two and a half years is gone.

I'm no homer and no big fan of this front office, but I think they've definitely made important strides this off season and improved the team significantly as a whole. This team has the look of an 8-8 or 9-7 team with reasonable health. I also wouldn't count us out as a potential worst to first candidate if injuries break our way.

---------- Post added August-9th-2011 at 04:39 PM ----------

McNabb was awful. He was 24th in DYAR and 29th in DVOA. He was among the worst QBs in the league and was about as valuable as a league average replacement player. It'd be hard for anyone we started for 13 games to be significantly worse than McNabb was last year. I doubt we have much of a drop off at QB at all.

I don't think we are healthier. I do believe that it can't be any worse at QB. My only knock on Grossman is his Int's to TD ratio and DM5 was worse last year.

What are you basing this off of, or did you just not have anything meaningful to say and instead pull smart ass comment cards out of your rear!?

I agree with his statement about fans not being general managers. I know alot of his like to think of ourselves as football experts but in reality most all of us if not all of us would suck worse than Vinny or Snyder at being general manager. BTW, Grossman is predicting the Redskins win the NFC East.

I want to be last so we can get our guy in the draft... I rather go 1-15 than going 4 and 12.

This attitude here is what I think is really at work.

Those saying 'just 2 or 3 wins' I don't believe are giving a prediction, but are engaging in wishful thinking. :)

I say that b/c they all keep bringing up Andrew Luck when they forecast this doom and gloom.

The funny thing is they'll be the loudest ones here, cussing up a storm if the Redskins lose like that.

Despite the fact it is what they want. :)

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 07:31 AM ----------

How did he play better?oh because the offense was finally opened up cause kyle loves him some sexy rexy?Do u think rex would have beaten the superbowl champ packers?Do u think he would have not turned the ball over against the boys in week 1 with Romo sits to pee?How about a half second bomb away from joey galloway beating the colts?he beat the damn jaguars without mjd.U just compared rex to mcnabb wow

Full words and the space bar are your friend, you know. :)

However, reading comprehension isn't your friend apparently. I was stating the obvious. The offense did flow better and do better with Grossman at the helm.

It doesn't mean that he is a better QB than McNabb. He just did better in the offense than McNabb, because he actually tried to run it. Whereas, McNabb didn't.

But then, you seem to think Kyle Shanahan was intentionally sabotaging McNabb. :ols: Which means, Kyle was sabotaging himself too, and hurting his own reputation.

Guess some people just don't think before they post.

I suggest next time you read the whole thread before you post and save the outrage.

i dont really get how the media apparently give so much credit to mcnabb for the team winning 6 games last year. because now that he's gone, its our QB situation- despite the moves on defense (and offense) that is the reason cited for the skins impending doom.

apparently, nobody in the media thinks grossman can do what mcnabb did last year. they must not have watched him play.

outside of that difference, this team looks much better than last year. and thats not even using homer glasses.

bills will go like 6-10. fitzpatrick is good enough to get them some wins.

and unless daulton is abysmal, i cant see cincy taking another QB. and with benson, their solid oline, and their always decent defense i dont see them finishing worse than 5-11.

Yet you see the Skins going 3-13? How? Grossman played very well at the end of last season and this team has upgraded many other positions from WR to RB. I see another 6-10 season maybe better. This team will not be as bad as most of you think.

Never been a fan of "prognasticating." It's all meaningless bar room fodder. It's only important if you intend to bet the ranch in Vegas. That said, I cannot see Shanahan winning less than 6 games. Out are the aged and dysfunctional. In are young, hungry athletes. But I'm not predicting-that takes the fun out watching each Sunday. If I knew we were going to the be the 29th best team in the league-I wouldn't watch-Hail!

Travarious Jackson once had a game where he threw 4 TD's in a game

Rex Grossman had one good half of football in three starts

Even the blind squirrel finds a nut right?

So the TDs he threw against Dallas don't count because their secondary/pass defense is incompetent, but the interceptions he threw do? Wait a second, I thought they were incompetent.

Nobody is arguing that Rex will be good. But I think it's fair to say it's unlikely he'll be much worse than McNabb was last season. McNabb set the bar very low.

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 08:48 AM ----------

Those saying 'just 2 or 3 wins' I don't believe are giving a prediction, but are engaging in wishful thinking. :)

I say that b/c they all keep bringing up Andrew Luck when they forecast this doom and gloom.

The funny thing is they'll be the loudest ones here, cussing up a storm if the Redskins lose like that.

I think you're exactly right. I think so many people are gleefully predicting sub 4 win seasons because they actually want that to happen because they want us to draft Andrew Luck. That's why you see that kind of pessimism while simultaneously seeing a lot of support for Shanahan and Allen, nevermind that taking such a drastic step backwards would mean those two are doing a horrible job.

I think people are also completely forgetting about the fact that no Mike Shanahan team has ever finished that poorly.

ES would be a lot better off if people around here just let the Andrew Luck dream die. We're not going to draft him. It will not happen. Get over it people and stop clinging to a pathetic fantasy that we will lose 14 games this season and end up with him and then everything will be fine.

Yet you see the Skins going 3-13? How? Grossman played very well at the end of last season and this team has upgraded many other positions from WR to RB. I see another 6-10 season maybe better. This team will not be as bad as most of you think.

wow, so committing 8 turnovers in 3 games is "playing very well"? i guess you have a different definition of playing well lol.

grossman is probably the 8th best QB in our division. every other teams backup is most likely better than him (Kitna and Rosenfels for sure, Young is a toss up)

I think u are the one that is stupid...U put grossman and mcnabb in the same sentance.grossman couldnt hold mcnabbs jock....U are crazy and probably dont like mcnabb cause he hate the skins fro breakfast in his tenure in phili...He will beat us when we play the vikings at home and i patially hope he sticks it to the shanahans

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 12:14 PM ----------

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 07:31 AM ----------

Full words and the space bar are your friend, you know. :)

However, reading comprehension isn't your friend apparently. I was stating the obvious. The offense did flow better and do better with Grossman at the helm.

It doesn't mean that he is a better QB than McNabb. He just did better in the offense than McNabb, because he actually tried to run it. Whereas, McNabb didn't.

But then, you seem to think Kyle Shanahan was intentionally sabotaging McNabb. :ols: Which means, Kyle was sabotaging himself too, and hurting his own reputation.

Guess some people just don't think before they post.

I suggest next time you read the whole thread before you post and save the outrage.

So he wasnt sabotaging mcnabb?what was that whole benching in the final 2 minutes....I for one loved it when grossman got the s*** knocked out of him and suh returned it for a td.......Mcnabb is one of the best alltime at coming back with 2 minutes to go and u put rex in?Mcnabb put up 357 yards against the packers....Could rex do that?no.Rex would not have came with in an inch of beating the colts.....Mcnabb did.....Us treating mcnabb the way we did is going to bite us....and i hope it does sorry.....

I think u are the one that is stupid...U put grossman and mcnabb in the same sentance.grossman couldnt hold mcnabbs jock....U are crazy and probably dont like mcnabb cause he hate the skins fro breakfast in his tenure in phili...He will beat us when we play the vikings at home and i patially hope he sticks it to the shanahans

So he wasnt sabotaging mcnabb?what was that whole benching in the final 2 minutes....I for one loved it when grossman got the s*** knocked out of him and suh returned it for a td.......Mcnabb is one of the best alltime at coming back with 2 minutes to go and u put rex in?Mcnabb put up 357 yards against the packers....Could rex do that?no.Rex would not have came with in an inch of beating the colts.....Mcnabb did.....Us treating mcnabb the way we did is going to bite us....and i hope it does sorry.....

Did McNabb constantly throw balls that were too low for earthworms to catch? YES.

If you are actively rooting against the Redskins, then you are NO Redskins fan. You are a McNabb fan.

You say Grossman doesn't belong in the same sentence as McNabb? Well, GROSSMAN and mcnabb. Does that just tick a non-Redskin fan like you off? :)

Dude, you're nuts, and obviouly not a Redskin fan, and also obviously have some sort of raging obsession with McNabb.

Who knows what Grossman can do. I do know he will run the offense as he should. Maybe all those numbers you put up of McNabb would mean something if he was actually tried to run the offense, and not do his own thing.

Be that as it may, I suggest that, for your own sanity, you get off this Redskin fan board since it is obviously not for you, and go find some Vikings board or a McNabb board.

I think you will be happier there.

Edit: Also, try and check out a grammar board, as well. :)

the point is mcnabb was a very good QB in philly despite throwing in the dirt. rex got to a superbowl by riding a sick defense.

i guess by your account, trent dilfer is better than dan marino.

I love how the starting Qb of a team can literally not matter but when critcizing the skins and rationalizing why they can't win more than 2 games this year, QB is the only position on the field. Its just like the guys who say we could have lost more than 6 games if x, y or z didn't happen last year but fail to notice the 7 games we lost within 4 points where the exact same argument would apply the other way.

Either you can win with a QB who can manage the game as Rex did with the bears (and by the way they had the 13th ranked offense that year) or you can't because you can't win without a "franchise QB". It can't be both. You can't logically argue the skins are doomed because Rex is under center he's not a franchise QB and in the next breath say that the bears went to the superbowl despite Rex being under center. Its just intellectually dishonest.

So you seriously were rooting against the Skins because McNabb was benched. Time to check your priorities. And by the way, McNabb earned his benching. Not saying Grossman is any better but that doesn't mean that McNabb didn't need to sit. And I guess you think Andy Reid sabotaged McNabb as well.

I love how the starting Qb of a team can literally not matter but when critcizing the skins and rationalizing why they can't win more than 2 games this year, QB is the only position on the field. Its just like the guys who say we could have lost more than 6 games if x, y or z didn't happen last year but fail to notice the 7 games we lost within 4 points where the exact same argument would apply the other way.

Oddly enough, IIRC the poster you've quoted has made that very same argument you speak of.

There is no way we will win at the Meadowlands on opening day. However, we have a good chance winning at FedEx. :silly:

i know, i know. at the meadowlands, vs a team that usually destroys us, near Sept 11. the odds are stacked against us.

the Giants have had the right type of style (competent offense, great dline) that beats us every game. i think with our large roster turnover, they might be suprised at how the redskins play a lot differently than skins teams that they are used to handling easily.

our team will be well prepared, hungry, and motivated. moreso, than the giants. i think we catch them sleeping, call it a hunch.

as for the mcnabb/grossman convo... i didnt see either as being better than the other last season. the offense did seem to run more smoothly under grossman, but that is offset with grossman's high propensity for turnovers. mcnabb's performance last year wasnt great, but i think he gets bashed a little too much. i know at least a few of his INT's were hail marry type passes to try to win the game. i dont fault him for those.

Either you can win with a QB who can manage the game as Rex did with the bears (and by the way they had the 13th ranked offense that year) or you can't because you can't win without a "franchise QB". It can't be both. You can't logically argue the skins are doomed because Rex is under center he's not a franchise QB and in the next breath say that the bears went to the superbowl despite Rex being under center. Its just intellectually dishonest.

ive said this probably a million times: if you have a rabid defense that creates turnovers left and right, you can get away with having a ****ty "game managing" QB behind center. the ravens did it in 00, the bucs did it in 02, the bears got there in 06 and lost. the point is, we dont have a defense even close to resembling this, and on top of that, when the mediocre QB does get there with the crazy defense or run game, its not the norm. the norm is guys like peyton manning, tom brady, aaron rodgers, big ben, eli (although inconsistent). these are the guys you need if you want to consistently win in this league and contend. notice how the bucs after they won that superbowl have been almost a non factor in terms of post season success or superbowl aspirations? why? they dont have a QB. theyve had jeff garcia, chris simms, brian greise, bruce gradkowski, and now josh freeman (who looks legit). why do the colts contend every year? peyton manning. why do the pats contend every year? tom brady. why do the steelers contend every year? rabid insane defense plus big ben is very good. same will go for the packers with rodgers.

we need a franchise QB, or we need one of the best defenses of the decade. i think its much easier to find 1 stud than it is to try and catch defensive lightning in a bottle for a season.

grossman's high propensity for turnovers. mcnabb's performance last year wasnt great, but i think he gets bashed a little too much. i know at least a few of his INT's were hail marry type passes to try to win the game. i dont fault him for those.

I've heard this A LOT around the board lately and my response is always to look at their respective TD/TO ratio's between the two. Grossman had 7/8 TD/TO ratio, McNabb 14/25, and yes IIRC Grossman had 1 INT from a hail-mary pass.

With Grossman at the helm we saw an offense that got in rhythm and could stay on the field, most likely because on 3rd and 2 Grossman would throw the ball to the wide open receiver in the flats, and McNabb would go for a double covered hail mary. Grossman was also able to hit AA in stride for a TD something McNabb's could never do, despite playing 8 more games with AA than Grossman.

Archived