Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Heisenberg

I thought it was a joke to be honest, when I first heard of it. I'll take your word for it though. I'm just tired of reboots/rehashed and redone movies in general, so I just didn't really pay any attention to it.

Right, like I said, I had no interest in seeing the movie. Hell, the only reason I agreed to see it was because it was sitting at 81% on Rotten Tomatoes. That rating turned out to be great and I thought the movie was excellent. Will probably be one of the rare movies I purchase when it comes out on Blu-Ray.

I thought it was going to be a decent movie....turned out to be great! Loved it.

Pretty sure this is my favorite movie this summer now

---------- Post added August-7th-2011 at 10:09 PM ----------

I'm assuming that because the word "Rise" is in the title, that it's supposed to be a trilogy/sequel kind of deal, no?
Prequel....

It's a reboot, so it's not really a prequel.

But yeah, it ended in a way that let's you know there'll be more.

Anybody else see this over the weekend?

I wasn't even interested in seeing the movie, but I ended up going with a friend and it is probably one of my favorite movies of the year. Very well done and not at all what I was expecting.

Saw it last night and thought it was outstanding. Very well acted by Franco and great script, and depth.

Prequel....

So then it's technically not a complete reboot at all then, cool ( I still have that '00-'01 version with Mark Wahlberg stuck in my head, so I guess that's why I kept thinking "reboot"). I may go see it next weekend then.

* Edit, nevermind, I missed Skins24's post. Reboot or not, I'll go see it this weekend.

So then it's technically not a complete reboot at all then, cool ( I still have that '00-'01 version with Mark Wahlberg stuck in my head, so I guess that's why I kept thinking "reboot"). I may go see it next weekend then.

Speaking of which, the Wahlberg POTA comes on at 10:30 on FX. Heads up for anyone wanting to catch it. But yeah the new one def seems like a prequel. And the ending most DEFINITELY seems like it'd lead to a potential sequel.

Hmmmm. Was wondering how this would turn out. I actually liked the Wahlburg version of Planet of the Apes better than the Heston one. Neither really stayed close to the book,but the newer version did seem to at least follow it a bit more in them,(if that makes any sense. Would have been nice if they could have worked in the Jinn and Phyliss characters though. May have to put this one on the will see list. :)

Planning to see it this week. Glad to hear it didn't disappoint.

From everything I have read, this prequel has nothing to do with the 2001 version. I actually liked that flick and was bummed when Tim Burton decided not to do a sequel, even though they clearly left it open for that. That was a random ending at the Lincoln Memorial. I figured that General Thade retrieved the original space capsule (sunk at the bottom of the swamp) and beat Mark Wahlberg back in time to the Civil War era. Would've made for an interesting storyline, but I guess it'll never happen.

I love the original. As cheesy as it was. But I can't wrap my head around a bunch of monkeys with sticks and stones taking over man with technilogical weaponry. Basing this on what the preview shows of course.

I had similar concerns. I was pleasantly surprised. Amazing movie. :)

Ninja Text below for the predictions for the next 2 movies!

2 things. the OBVIOUS is that the virus spreads, wiping out MOST humans and the Apes expand Ape city. The no so obvious, anyone catch the man mission to mars that launched then the headline that the ship was "Lost in space"? Anyone want to guess where they end up...LOL

I love the original. As cheesy as it was. But I can't wrap my head around a bunch of monkeys with sticks and stones taking over man with technilogical weaponry. Basing this on what the preview shows of course.

Think about it like the film Aliens. A bunch of badass Marines going with all kinds of firepower getting their asses kicked buy a smart yet primitive enemy with no weapons. Just pure violence and smarts. Like say a Vietnam deal?

EDIT, I thought the film was truly great. So much better the the Tim Overrated Burton one.

Spoilers!!!!!!!

Rise of the Planet of the Apes plays like a biopic of a freedom fighter. Caesar wants the same rights as any sentient being; unlike Caesar from Conquest of the Planet of the Apes this ape isn’t looking to take over or get revenge, he just wants to be free. It’s that noble goal that really allows us to root for him. Caesar doesn’t want a planet of the apes, he just wants a place where he can be himself and not be abused or confined or mistrusted.

The arc of the character, from trusting baby to hardened battle leader, is only possible because of the combined work of Andy Serkis and WETA. Serkis’ performance is, no hyperbole, incredible. Much of what he does is non-verbal, and his work through posture and subtle facial movements is stunning. There is never a moment in the movie where you wonder what is going through Caesar’s mind. It truly is stunning work and a landmark in how actors and digital technicians can come together to create something incredible. Caesar isn’t a showy creation – it doesn’t take long for you to simply forget he’s a CGI skin painted over a human actor and just accept him as a character – and that’s what the point of special FX should be. There’s certainly a time to dazzle, but great FX work in service of story and character.

There’s no way to overpraise what Serkis does here, and his greatness is all the more evident when compared to the frankly bad acting surrounding him. James Franco often seems like he’s getting early onset Alzheimer’s himself, slurring words and seeming half interested in the surroundings. Freido Pinto, playing his girlfriend, is one of the most egregiously useless actors I have ever seen in a movie. I wouldn’t remove the character, as Franco’s happiness with her is a key aspect of Caesar’s understanding of his own loneliness, but I can’t understand how a performance as wooden and slight as hers ended up in a movie where most other elements are finely crafted.

This is a movie where the human element is a distraction at best, and by the second act the people begin to really fall out of the film – which audiences welcome. But this is the movie’s big handicap; with the right actors doing the right work alongside Serkis and the cadre of highly talented and expressive performance capture actors, Rise could have been a great film. Instead it ends up being a very good film with absolute greatness contained within it.

I thought it was a joke to be honest, when I first heard of it. I'll take your word for it though. I'm just tired of reboots/rehashed and redone movies in general, so I just didn't really pay any attention to it.

Yeah, I'm find the premise hard to find reasonable. So primitive apes take over the earth with spears and sheer numbers? When did they start breeding so much and how come nobody noticed; after all scientists do monitor them in the wild? With all our military weapons and technology we can't blow the hell out of them? Our modern military versus the equivalent of super-athletic aboriginals? I'm taking the tanks and jets thanks. I saw the clip of them taking out a helipcopter and thought, "Well OK, that's one helicopter, the rest as well as the jets can just bomb and shoot them from up high out of reach."

I guess my willing suspension of disbelief doesn't go quite that far. I find the theory from the original Planet of the Apes, that humans destroyed themselves in a catastrophic war and then over millennia apes evolved, to be more believable.

Somehow the fact that after all those millennia the apes speak English in a form that we currently understand never bothered me. Why English? Why not Chinese? Or why not their own ape language?

Archived