Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beck VS. Grossman: Who Wins?

COWBOY-KILLA-

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Forget about Beck winning the starting job . . . Kevin Sheehan is speculating that Beck might not even make the 53-man roster! Supposed Roster Locks That Could Get Cut

Interesting list... but does anyone really think Keiland Williams is a roster lock? I'd only call Armstrong and Beck "shocks" on that list to be cut. Maaaybe Sellers, but the move to tight end is certainly suspicious.

McNabb didnt light it up, all he had was a good deep ball. I dont see either of our guys doing any worse than McNabb. There wasnt much of a drop off for those games McNabb was benched... I dont know who will win but I trust our coaches and Im glad its an open competition.

Rex Grossman has a stronger arm, a better deep ball, more experience in the offense, and has superbowl experience. Beck has a potentially higher upside. This of course is based on "feelings" the coaches have and the idea that Rex is just never going to be all that good.

I think head to head Rex will win. I still can't figure out why no one signed him but Alex Smith and Tavaris Jackson both have jobs. That makes no sense to me.

I don't see how Beck has higher upside other than the fact that he's a nearly complete unknown. Heck, they're only a year apart in age and coming out of college Beck's sales pitch was pro ready and Grossman's was raw talent.

That said, your point about Smith and Jackson had me thinking a little bit. Tampering/illegal contact with Rex during the lockout?

Edit: Holy God I wish I'd stopped to actually look at the pictures before voting...

So camps here and we are faced with either Beck or Grossman. For my money I just don't see how Beck beats grossman out for the job. I'm actually pretty intrigued by having Grossman lead the squad, it's not ideal but I actually think he can get it done. So my prediction( not earth shattering) is that Grossman will win it and he'll play pretty well, surprising most.

McNabb was on pace for 4,000+ yards and the Burgundy 'n Gold single season passing yards record despite not being comfortable or executing the Kyle's offense at a highlevel.

As much as people bemoaned our WR corps last season, they were part of a top 10 passing offense and we've only added more pieces.

Whichever QB wins the job is in a good position to put up good numbers, especially if they execute Kyle's offense at a high level.

(Neither here noe there but for me it will take at least a top season from our QB to justify some of the decisions made at the QB position this offseason.)

With that being said I think Beck will win the job.

To my eye there is no doubt that Beck is the more talented QB (and many evaluators agree Greg Cosell, ESPN, Dave Razzano).

We already know that Mike/Kyle were fans of Beck as college prospect and his draft profile was very similar Kevin Kolb.

The main difference I see other then their media perception is their respective post draft situations.

Kolb went to a stable FO with a coaching staff that is a QBs utopia; Beck went to Maimi (nuff said).

Back on topic: The main advantage Rex has going for him is that he knows the offense better then Beck.

But, if Mike and Kyle were sold on Rex they wouldn't be having a wide open QB comp and would have signed Grossman before the lock-out and given him a better contract then vet minimum+incentives.

Long story short I think that Beck is more talented and in an open competition talent will trump scheme familiarity.

Nice thought process.. You know I'm totally open to Beck prevailing, it's just difficult for me to envision that happening. Given that he hasn't done it the NFL, ever. Situations aside (Miami) his talent should probably shown up by now. But regardless, if he does flourish and finds himself, I'm all for that situation b/c it probably means wins and happiness. We'll see, I'm interested to find out.

Nice thought process.. You know I'm totally open to Beck prevailing, it's just difficult for me to envision that happening. Given that he hasn't done it the NFL, ever. Situations aside (Miami) his talent should probably shown up by now. But regardless, if he does flourish and finds himself, I'm all for that situation b/c it probably means wins and happiness. We'll see, I'm interested to find out.
I think its difficult for a lot of people when it comes to QBs.

A QBs success is so intricately linked and symbiotic with the not only the OL, WRs, and RBs but also the coaches, the staff and the offensive scheme.

I think the talent is evident you can see the arm strength, you can see the footwork, you can see the quickness and nimble movement.

When you speak of 'talent' above it seems you're refering to production.

But I don't understand the underlined thought process: "Situations aside".

Imo its mostly about the situation therefore its impossible to put it aside and expect the same production regardless of the circumstances.

For me it all comes down to this talent/physical skill: I ask myself in a vacuum who is the more talented QB Beck or Grossman?

And in that light the question is easy.

This will be his 5th year in the league and what i mean is that by year 5 your "talent" has usually translated into some form of production. Situations aside, meant that Regardless of coaching/talent of the team/ownership/injuries etc. By now you've seen something. Some guys flourish late, find themselves, and the light goes on. I'm all for it. Shanahan seems to be really pushing for him. Maybe it's just to light a fire under Rex, maybe he really believes it. Hey, I'm rooting for the guy.

This will be his 5th year in the league and what i mean is that by year 5 your "talent" has usually translated into some form of production. Situations aside, meant that Regardless of coaching/talent of the team/ownership/injuries etc. By now you've seen something. Some guys flourish late, find themselves, and the light goes on. I'm all for it. Shanahan seems to be really pushing for him. Maybe it's just to light a fire under Rex, maybe he really believes it. Hey, I'm rooting for the guy.
I agree that by year 5 talent should turn into production but I would add this major caveat: given opportunity and situation.

My point is that the talent is their.

You can see it on film from Miami in his rookie year, you can see it on film in pre-season both here and with the Ravens.

But, production imo is as much a function of the team then the QB therefore I don't think its possible to put situation aside when judging production.

That doesn't really even look like RG. I'm reserving any judgement until I can see a clearer picture. You mean to tell me nobody could snap a pic of RG with something better than whatever was used to film that :whoknows:

EDIT: Alright nevermind, judgement initiated

2011-08-05_5004.jpg

:ols:

2011-08-05_5006.jpg

I love the underdog, and wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd QB takes the job. He has been most accurate, and has a good arm. Beck has failed to make the deep bomb connection, and that's essential these days to be competive offensively in the NFL.

Archived