Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landry on PUP list: Anyone else seriously concerned?

NattyBo

I don't quite buy this notion that if you don't have your specific team's trainers watching your every move, you're gonna be screwed. There's a lot of physical therapists and sports trainers out there. With Landry's resources, he should've been able to find somebody to rehab him and get him ready. Hell, go back to LSU and see if they can't help you. All the world's doctors and trainers, and simply not being able to talk to the Skins doctors left him completely helpless? And that goes for the entire league. Like Peyton Manning blaming the lockout for him not being healed. Hogwash. Either he didn't do what he was supposed to, or he wasn't gonna be ready no matter what.

---------- Post added July-30th-2011 at 02:05 AM ----------

Look at Kemo and what a bad Achilles did to him... dude used to be a BEAST

His was completely blown out though. There's gotta be significant difference between a strained Achilles and a torn one. Not to mention the not so insignficant detail of his 350lb status. That's gotta make it extra difficult to recover.

I am more a front 7 person. If you got stuff going on up there, the secondary will look better. I loath, with a passion, the Redskins philosophy this past decade of investing high picks and big free agent dollars in the secondary and neglect the front.

So the point is, if Rak and Kerrigan do their thing. If the new big boys on the dline can play. Then this defense will improve. Having Landry or not isn't the key to defensive improvement.

What this pup thing does do is hopefully put on the breaks to the notion that the Redskins should extend this guys contract.

I am more a front 7 person. If you got stuff going on up there, the secondary will look better. I loath, with a passion, the Redskins philosophy this past decade of investing high picks and big free agent dollars in the secondary and neglect the front.

makes sense.

So the point is, if Rak and Kerrigan do their thing. If the new big boys on the dline can play. Then this defense will improve.

definitely!

Having Landry or not isn't the key to defensive improvement.

...okay... i guess it isn't *THE* key, but it certainly makes a BIG difference when he's out there and healthy.

What this pup thing does do is hopefully put on the breaks to the notion that the Redskins should extend this guys contract.

now just a darned minute. are you suggesting we DON'T extend him? you would like him to leave as a free agent? please explain.

So the point is, if Rak and Kerrigan do their thing. If the new big boys on the dline can play. Then this defense will improve. Having Landry or not isn't the key to defensive improvement.

i understand what youre saying, but do you remember the 1st half of last season, especially when Landry wasnt riddled with injuries... he was a force, he had the attitude he has always had, but it was properly applied to his position.

imo, achilles injuries are one of the worst non life threatening injuries an athlete can have. so hard to come back from and there is little to no running for a long time. it is absolutely imperative that LL takes his time until he is 100%. i dont have a problem with him missing 4 or more games if he needs it. especially considering his aggressive style, he is gonna need the burst side to side. if he's not fully healed, he could tear it completely and be out of football for good.

According to redskins.com

“We’ve got him on the PUP as a preventative measure more than anything,” Shanahan said of Landry. “He’s not at 100 percent, but he looked pretty good [Friday], so hopefully he won’t be too long before he’s ready to go.”

Shanahan said the Redskins are being cautious with injuries because they were unable to monitor rehab programs with players due to the lockout last offseason.

“He’s out there watching practice and getting all the mental reps,” Shanahan said. “I want to get him ready for the New York Giants [in Week 1]. I’m not really worried about getting him ready for Pittsburgh [the first preseason game].”

Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

After reading some of the alarmist posts on here, I was worried.

It did not sound good that Landry was on the PUP list, and Kerrigan got hurt too. There was also a rumor that Hankerson was hurt.

Then I watched Shanny's press conference, and now I am no longer worried.

Shanny said Kerrigan has a bone-bruise, nothing serious, and he should be back soon. As to Landry, he said the PUP list is just being cautious, he should be ready for the opener. Lastly, coach did not seem to know anything about Hankerson being hurt.

Camp is important for every player, not just those "proving" anything. I'm with the OP, this is surprising and a bit concerning news. They put him on the shelf with half the season to go as a precaution just to avoid this very thing. If he is not 100% after all this time and after the coaches sat him down as a precaution I don't see how this can't be alarming.

From the news today, it doesn't sound too good at all.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2011/8/5/2346584/laron-landry-injury-achilles-redskins-training-camp

"I knew I wouldn't be able to go full-go," said Landry, who missed the last seven games of 2010 because of the Achilles. "I'm not going out on the field unless I'm 110 percent and I can do all the things I know I can do. It makes no sense to go out there and come back to the side and take a couple days off. When I go out there I want to stay out there.

"Nature would have taken its course. It still needed time to heal. About a month ago it started turning its corner and now I can do strengthening and drills to build it up. But I have to let it calm down first. It feels fine, but the strength is not there."

He also said that he might get surgery on it next offseason. Most players come back from that terribly. Sigh.

From the news today, it doesn't sound too good at all.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2011/8/5/2346584/laron-landry-injury-achilles-redskins-training-camp

"I knew I wouldn't be able to go full-go," said Landry, who missed the last seven games of 2010 because of the Achilles. "I'm not going out on the field unless I'm 110 percent and I can do all the things I know I can do. It makes no CENTS to go out there and come back to the side and take a couple days off. When I go out there I want to stay out there.

"Nature would have taken its course. It still needed time to heal. About a month ago it started turning its corner and now I can do strengthening and drills to build it up. But I have to let it calm down first. It feels fine, but the strength is not there."

He also said that he might get surgery on it next offseason. Most players come back from that terribly. Sigh.

Corrected

Guys it wouldn't surprise me at all if Landry misses the start of the season

The man's in the last year of his contract.

If he plays too soon and gets hurt it's going to cost him millions

Thing to do imo is exactly what they are doing and not rushing him onto the field

Lets get a contract done and let him sit out for a while as in 6 games to start the year

Face it

We aren't going to be compete-ting for the division this year

And we all want Laron to stay

So lets be ultra cautious with him for the beginning of the season

And take care of his contract situation early

So that the team and our future together is bright

Hopefully it's just a case of the coaches and trainers playing it safe. I'd hate to see him miss the start of the season, but if missing a game or two at the beginning means he's able to go 100% for the remainder of the season, it's best not to jeopardize his health. But if he can't go, please start someone other than Doughty.

the strike meant that Redskins trainers couldn't help him rehab his achilles

im sorry, he"s a friggin millionaire, you mean he couldnt pay a trainer from the real world to help him? you guys are way to hung up on this nfl crap.that anything and everything these guys do has to be done with nfl (team) personnel..

This is in response to your post in the TC practice thread from today.

Really? WebMD. OMG!

Get your head out of the sand...

Here is a real article from Steroid Encyclopedia:.....

IMO, with a medical background focused specifically with rehab, anabolic steroids cause tendon weakness in tendons and ligaments all over the body, not just in the achilles tendon. So, LL would most likely have begun having tendon issues in smaller tendons around the knee and ankle areas than in one of the bigger tendons of the body. In fact, it's more likely he would have separated his shoulder repeatedly if he were having tendon degeneration from steroid use, before tearing an achilles tendon.

Realistically, he very likely tore his achilles tendon because he plays a position that requires an unnatural amount of stress to be put on the achilles tendon when changing direction at full speed and with the amount of muscle mass Landry has, it's no wonder it caused an injury to his achilles. He doesn't have to be using steroids to have achilles heal problems so you're leveling accusations without any evidence.

Also, making fun of someone for using WebMD and then quoting something called "Steroid Encyclopedia" at the same time doesn't make you sound smart. WebMD has information written by professional doctors, probably the same as those who wrote "Steroid Encyclopedia". Either way, it doesn't strengthen your argument that LL is using.

im sorry, he"s a friggin millionaire, you mean he couldnt pay a trainer from the real world to help him? you guys are way to hung up on this nfl crap.that anything and everything these guys do has to be done with nfl (team) personnel..

But you have to understand, if those doctors he had gotten screwed something up, he violates his contract and probably has to give money back. He didn't really have a choice.

But you have to understand, if those doctors he had gotten screwed something up, he violates his contract and probably has to give money back. He didn't really have a choice.

he could still pay for team approved doctors and or trainers..besides i really dont think there is any clause in contracts that prevents you from seeing your own family doctor or trainer

Archived