Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Redskins are heading into the right direction

themurf

haynesworth091710.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

There might be hope for the Washington Redskins after all.

That’s where I’m at as the NFL’s first week of 2011 comes to an end and the Washington lineup continues to take shape.

Sure, there is still plenty of work to do (namely acquiring a quarterback who might even be good enough to be considered mediocre), but the Redskins front office has at least begun the process of pointing this wayward ship in the right direction.

If I was asked before the lockout ended to come up with a to-do list for the Redskins this offseason, it would have looked like this:

• Trade quarterback Donovan McNabb
  • Trade defensive lineman/malcontent Albert Haynesworth
  • Re-sign Santana Moss
  • Upgrade interior of offensive line
  • Give the fans someone other than John Beck to rally around at quarterback

Well, four out of five ain’t bad folks.

As I wrote earlier this week, getting anything of substance – even a pair of sixth rounders – for McNabb has to be viewed as a win for the team after the way Mike and Kyle Shanahan dragged his name through the mud.

The same must be said of Haynesworth, who netted the ‘Skins a fifth rounder in 2013 from the New England Patriots and enabled linebacker Brian Orakpo the opportunity to enjoy a drama-free camp for the first time since coming to Washington.

Seriously, the phrase “addition by subtraction” has never been more applicable in the history of the English language. The front office was never going to allow Haynesworth to choose his own destination – not with the Philadelphia Eagles lurking in the shadows.

So the Redskins had to find a trade partner – and sooner rather than later.*

*In less than a week, veteran players report to camp, and honestly, the thought of another year’s worth of “look at me” sports anchors doing conditioning tests on air in hopes of convincing someone – anyone – that they could actually be an NFL player just made me throw up in my mouth.

The Redskins had to dump Fat Albert’s body on someone and, mercifully, the ego of the man in the hoodie came to the rescue.

Now, before we go any further, I feel obligated to address the nation media’s reaction to the Haynesworth trade.

Look, I get it. The Patriots win Super Bowls, while the Redskins win offseasons. If ever there were two teams who have earned their respective reputations, it’s these two franchises.

But the eagerness pundits have shown to drop to their knees and slurp New England head coach Bill Belichick’s every move is unsettling, to say the least.

Although it might not jive with popular opinion, at least one journalist seems to agree with my stance that folks are getting a little overanxious to rush to praise New England’s decision.

Darin Gantt seemed confused why there was such a “widespread temptation to compliment the emperor on his clothes when he trades for a turd,” and I couldn’t agree more.

Click here for the full article.

Good read murf, it echoes a lot of what is being said out here in the wilds of fandom.

Like a junkie finally getting clean after a decade of hitting the pipe, the fanbase has some genuine reasons to let go of the Vinnie-angst and hope for a better tomorrow.

So glad fat Al is gone, though I think he will be on good behavior in NE for at least a year. He pulled it together for a couple years in Tenn, I think he can do it for a couple in NE. That being said I still think he has a crap personality, and is an overall bad person.

I have liked what we have been doing this offseason, we are not spending like spoiled children, we are making smart, fiscally responsible moves. We are not throwing all our money into that one big name guy, but instead spending it on guys that are still looking for that big pay day, and maybe can earn it playing for the skins. I think we are in the right direction as well, and I think we may finally have a stable front office, I just hope Snyder can continue to sit on his hands when it comes to dealing with the team. I think we could be a good team in a couple years, even next year if things go well. This year maybe a lost season, but I know it's because we are looking at the bigger picture, to be perennial contenders, and I love it.

Title should be possibly nice upgrades but still missing the main component that will prevent them from taking next major step: qb.

This is year 2 of shanny and with no young gun in place learning the system they are still years away from contending. I really hope beck can do something but won't bet cash on it.

The new system appears to be working as far as cutting the fat and bringing in younger players. I think the concept is great however, I do not necessarily agree with the draft choices or new personnel moves. The coach and GM know best what fits this system and we'll see how it works out. I think Shanny has been having flashbacks and he thinks that Beck is Jake Plummer. The defense is still a major issue with no real linebacker that can cover. Even with the addition of a couple of DT's converting to NT, the rest of the line will still have to generate pressure. I guess if we go from 31st to top twenty it will be an improvement. I'm giving it three years to compete for the division but I'm not sure Snyder will.

I like the fact that we signed all of our draft picks already.

I like the fact we culled some bad players, and some older players as well.

I am concerned about the offensive line STILL, and until that resolves, it won't matter who plays QB.

As I read post after post about the world ending because of our QB situation, I begin to wonder if the posters are aware of our NFL past. We've let some great QBs go on to have awesome careers elsewhere, but we've also had success and mediocrity with lesser QBs too.

How good was Williams before the playoff push to the Super Bowl?

How good was Scheuler (sp?) with whom went deep in the playoffs but for whom were thrilled to be able to get an OL in a straight up trade? I know Lachey was a straight up beast, but this was before the huge emphasis on OL. They were never drafted at the beginning of the draft during that era. Heck, we went 8-8 with Tony Banks and the playoffs with a QB with no arm strength under Gibbs and arguably both times under Gibbs. Exactly what has Collins won?

I know everyone says QB should have been at the top of the list. I can even see why in today's NFL. The care taker QB like Dilfer leading teams to Super Bowl victories are far more rare in today's passing NFL. Still, do we have to have a QB to play better than we have been? I don't think we are doomed to 4-12 because of the QB play. We may endup at 4-12, but if so it's more than a QB to blaim.

You missed a big item on your list - getting a defensive coordinator competent enough to not suck. I guess I can live with another 5-11 season.

No one can say with any level of certainty that Haslett is a good or bad fit in Washington. For starters, he was hired to run a 3-4 defense without 3-4 personnel. I think we can all agree that's tough to do.

My question for you: Why would you want to run him out of town now that they're starting to acquire players specifically for this 3-4 defense? It doesn't make sense. Haslett, as well as Kyle Shanahan, should both be given a minimum of three years so that they can have a chance to install their schemes and get their type of players. Changing just for the sake of changing isn't an option.

Great article as per usual.

Unfortunately, I do think Albert is going to have a good season. Wilfork will man the NT position with Albert and a healthy Ty Warren rounding out the DE spots. I think they could be a force.

I love our moves although I'd like us to take a flier on Jamaal Anderson and look at another LB and OG.

Great article as per usual.

Unfortunately, I do think Albert is going to have a good season. Wilfork will man the NT position with Albert and a healthy Ty Warren rounding out the DE spots. I think they could be a force.

I love our moves although I'd like us to take a flier on Jamaal Anderson and look at another LB and OG.

Does your stance change now that Ty Warren has been cut? I think it's great because this article was already building a case for why Warren could be more important to Pats than Fat Albert.

No one can say with any level of certainty that Haslett is a good or bad fit in Washington. For starters, he was hired to run a 3-4 defense without 3-4 personnel. I think we can all agree that's tough to do.

My question for you: Why would you want to run him out of town now that they're starting to acquire players specifically for this 3-4 defense? It doesn't make sense. Haslett, as well as Kyle Shanahan, should both be given a minimum of three years so that they can have a chance to install their schemes and get their type of players. Changing just for the sake of changing isn't an option.

Very well said.

I read with great delight that A Haynesworthless was moved on. I also feel good that McNabb went on to another team. My Q is didn't we pick up Beck after the Ravens found Flacco in their 3rd string? I think they(Ravens) picked him for a reason! Hopefully he can lead! Glad S. Moss was retained! My 2 pennies...

I read with great delight that A Haynesworthless was moved on. I also feel good that McNabb went on to another team. My Q is didn't we pick up Beck after the Ravens found Flacco in their 3rd string? I think they(Ravens) picked him for a reason! Hopefully he can lead! Glad S. Moss was retained! My 2 pennies...

Archived